Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I don't know if this fits in this topic, but I somehow believe Gearbox is currently developing a Duke Nukem game, and I look forward to it one day. Always bet on Duke.

I'm also pumped for the new Doom, that teaser trailer stylistically was very righteous. Cooking with gas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

catlord posted:

Also, PC Gamer gave Forever an 80? I mean, I liked it for the most part but 80?
Underrated game for me, I'd give it higher than an 80. Random note, I know age is a factor and all, but replaying Half-Life 2 recently which blew me away at the time, it's not that impressive to me now. While a 2011 game, I actually prefer the combat in DNF by far over Half-Life 2, and the comedy appeals to my taste so overall I just dig that game. And I sure think it's a lot better than CoD campaigns which get decent review scores, though granted for console multiplayer too.

And that said, Doom and Duke 3D still blow me away, not saying games as recent as 2004 often age badly, just an example of how I think DNF is good. Somebody has to. Bet on duke that is. Plus if you like it, what score would you give? 70?

Anyways, I do hope we see a badass new Duke Nukem game sometime in the future. DNF went for the Half-life formula plus comedy, as in a big non-combat flavor section and several puzzles and vehicles in a linear campaign. Would be fun to see a Duke game with more open levels, though still linear overall, not Far Cry open world or anything.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

IronicDongz posted:

unfortunately, none of it was funny, and also the game sucked
Not the experience I had with it, and I played it through several times. I know I'm in the minority there, but it's of course just personal taste in some entertainment. If you didn't find a single Jon St. John reading funny, well, for me it'd be tough for what he's saying not to be funny. The guy goes for it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

By "it" do you mean "a paycheck"?
This is what you think of Jon St. John. The man who brought us Big the cat.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

--Cream-of-Plenty, 2014
Can I just say, thank you. And also thank you for saving the Fallout 4 topic.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

david_a posted:

Doesn't Blood have some bug where the difficulty level gets maxed out whenever you save/load or was that another game?
It's a weird bug, I remember running into it a couple years ago. Here's what a gog player figured it out as, after you load a save:

quote:

I did some testing and here are the numbers.

The zombie will hit you for (the number in brackets is after the load game):
11 hp (36 hp) - Still Kicking
15 hp (27 hp) - Pink On The Inside
18 hp (18 hp) - Lightly Broiled
22 hp (22 hp) - Well Done
26 hp (12 hp) - Extra Crispy

As you can see, this bug doesn't affect third and fourth difficulty setting. You get the least damage on Extra Crispy and most on Still Kicking. Extra Crispy and Well Done have additional enemies so the hardest difficulties are Still Kicking and Well Done.

So pretty much, there are no lower difficulty settings in Blood if you save/load ever. Since the one with the lowest damage has the most crazy amount of enemies.

Duke 3D is way way better than Blood in my book, but I do dig Blood. Blood II The Chosen, now there's a bad game.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 17, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

catlord posted:

What would you want to see/not see in a new RotT?

Also it sounds like Doom 4 is going to have a personal teleporter that you can telefrag other players with and a static electricity gun that gets ammo from you running around and loses ammo when you stand still.
If not the ability to save, just much more frequent checkpoints. That level where you go through the crazy pillar fire puzzles etc and return to a main hub, often not saving yet, ay yi yi that level. And a better feel for the weapons and combat I guess.

Very pumped for any Doom news, hell yeah.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Max Wilco posted:

I totally forgot that Steam has the Quakecon sale going on.

The iD catalog is 66% off right now. I thought about buying the two Quake 1 expansions (Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity). Are they worth playing?

Thanks for the recommendation, started playing Scourge of Armagon, fun stuff! Never played any of the expansions before, love Vanilla Quake. Still playing it on ProQuake, I dig that ol' engine. Cool that Levelord did some of the levels.

General question if it goes in here, any recommendations for a really good fast-paced classic 90s or early 2000s shooter I may have missed? Especially with good level design pre-Serious Sam/Painkiller open kill fields style? (Though I like that too). I've played most I think, at least most of the notable ones, just throwing this out there. Jedi Knight, the first one, I had somehow missed that until a few years ago for example. Shot in the dark here I know.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

david_a posted:

Well it's hard to know what you've played, but I'll try. AvP is the only game I can think of off the top of my head that had a playable character significantly faster than Doomguy. As far as more obscure stuff... Riddick? Tron 2.0? Shogo?
Thanks. I've been meaning to play Riddick, have that on GoG. I do dig Shogo, have never played AvP other than a demo I think. Is the first one by Rebellion the best single-player wise? I actually dig their game Dredd vs Death so hey, AvP could be a fun one to try.

By fast paced it doesn't have to have a really high movement speed, I guess just levels that feel fast-paced if that makes sense.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

catlord posted:

I've heard a lot of people say that AvP2 is better single player-wise, but I haven't gotten a chance to play it. I'm also not too fond of AvP, it should be something I love but something about it just doesn't get me like I think it should. It's cheap now though, and worth a shot I'd say.

I remember really liking Tron 2.0, but it's been a while since I played it. Do you like Serious Sam? Vivisector is a decent enough Serious Sam-like game that came out of the cancellation of Duke Nukem: Endangered Species. Have you tried Eradicator? It's very BUILD engine-like in tech, and is $0.97 on Steam right now, holy poo poo. Maybe SiN?

I also like Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi even if it's janky and hideous and not as fast as other games and the weapons feel period accurate as far as being unwieldly. Oh! There's a couple people here that will suggest Necrovision. I've played a bit and it's not bad, give it a shot too, it's very Painkiller-like.

Sweet, just bought Eradicator, that looks pretty nutty. Never even heard of that. I'll try to keep an eye out for some of these other ones, especially AvP 1 and 2. I've played some of these other ones or demos at least. SiN for example I liked the style of but just overall found it pretty bad.

I've never played that Doom 2 No Rest For The Living thing by Nerve software, gonna give that a try sometime too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

arcsig posted:

I just finished Doom 3 for the first time. There's really not much to comment on because I'm pretty sure everyone's already said everything that can be said about it. It wasn't a trainwreck but it was pretty boring and felt more like a Half-Life game than a Doom game.

One thing I want to say though is that the whole "everything's too dark no duct tape on mars" complaint seems pretty overblown. I played the original version, not the BFG edition, and I rarely had any problems with the darkness. Most enemies have some glowing element to them so you can see where they are without pulling out the flashlight. Even aside from that, most of the game is pretty well lit. A lot of the dark areas are just in the first few levels of the game, and the only enemies hiding in the dark are the basic zombies. Once you start fighting harder enemies the arenas are pretty reasonably lit and I rarely had to switch to my flashlight unless I was exploring dark areas to scrounge for ammo/supplies.

My issues with the game were more related to its slow pace, samey environments, unsatisfying shotgun with terrible range, and general lack of interesting encounters.
I really like Resurrection of Evil, especially on BFG edition. It brings in the super shotgun, and it's a pretty fun fast-paced campaign. BFG edition ups your movement speed as well.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shadow Hog posted:

Ah, so that's what that hiring experienced Build modders many months ago was about.

Sure, I'm for it. Bombshell strikes me as an IP that'd work very well with the old 3D Realms FPS aesthetic - I mean, she kinda has to be, being a stand-in for Duke himself.
Plus, the character Bombshell is a cut DNF character. Started out as the sidekick you see a bit in the ol' E3 98 DNF trailer. And there was Bombshell concept art in some DNF preview.

A free new shooter episode, I dig it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Overbite posted:

There is nothing about Doom 4 that seems good. They talk like they're trying to recapture what made the original Dooms so good but they're missing all of it.
That's one fair opinion, but as one dude who loves Doom, I think it could be great. And I also love Doom 3. There is a wide variety of what makes Doom what it is, even across the first two games. Some people love the huge open areas with lots of mayhem, some prefer the more tight corridor shooter with atmosphere, there's a bit of everything across those episodes.

Though we also have not seen all that much so far. We know you fight a lot of demons and in tight atmospheric areas, sounds kinda like the original game Doom in a lot of ways. Though I still have the original, was playing it yesterday. With the sourceports and community it'll never stop, so we don't need a copy of it. For better or worse, they've gotta try something new in some way.

I don't want to walk in a straight line and watch scripted cutscenes of Marine Jocky Dingdong telling Colonel John Doom his next objective. But that crisis is averted when they canned "Call of Doom" and started over, and we get Doom guy ripping and tearing big guts, I'm optimistic.

I'll need to play a level or at least see say 20 minutes in the middle of the game to know how they're doing it. Hopefully they do have some semi-open hub style levels at times, and maybe finding a more clever way to navigate that than the ol' keycard thing. Granted I'm gonna pre-order the hell out of it.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 2, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Overbite posted:

I've been playing through the Duke 3D expansions and Duke it out in DC is amazing in how bad it is. That Smithsonian level is the best example of putting more effort into making a believable area than a fun level.

They also skimp on the ammo for the more powerful weapons, they love putting cards in weird spots like in air ducts, and there's too many little switches to look for and hit.

Hopefully Nuclear Winter and Caribbean are better!
I'm not big on those, but there are some well done user made episodes for Duke 3D (eduke32). An endless amount to check out pretty much, there's a cool compilation launcher of many map packs and mods for eduke32. You don't need the High Resolution Pack thingy on there, the addon compilation is at the bottom of the page. They fixed a bunch of bugs and whatnot in older maps too.

http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php

ADG Episode is a random good one from way back I just played. BobSP is also cool. Fusion is a good crazy total conversion with weapons and enemies from Quake, Half-Life, etc. I'm still checking out lots of these thingies.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 3, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Klaus88 posted:

:cawg:

I think my question was lost in the rush to post on page 666, so I'll ask again, any HL 1 mods worth checking out?
Action Half-Life. It's an old multiplayer one so not a lot of people playing now probably, but it was my favorite thing for years. Lights, camera, action baby. Hell just load up an empty map and dive around, it's therapeutic.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

While we're talking, any really good single-player Quake mods? I'm knee deep in Doom and Duke3D mods and wads, but I haven't heard of many SP Quake mods getting the buzz.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Groovy!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Quake 2's soundtrack is awesome, sounds more like industrial than groove metal to me. Though Doom did borrow a Pantera riff, the premier groove metal band. (edit: several Pantera riffs)

(Might as well post the ol' Doom metal comparison thingy in case somebody somewhere hasn't heard it, good stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y3RWlDz_AA)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 9, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Commander Keenan posted:

Blake Stone is one of my favorite games. To my knowledge, the fanbase to the series is just "I liked Blake Stone," and nothing further. Maybe Interceptor could do it justice.
The RoTT remake was okay. Blake Stone was good stuff, but my take is why not just make a new sci-fi shooter? I guess naming it Blake Stone would get some name recognition, kind of like why Hollywood remakes every film. Does some of the marketing work for them.

I say we make Blackthorne vs Blake Stone Begins: Soldiers of Fortune - Rise of the Chaos Engine. In all seriousness I'd obviously play that game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I see everyone is skipping over this post, so I just wanted to bring to your collective attention the fact that this opinion right here is the one, true opinion.
The Duke Nukem theme Grabbag is the best song in FPS history, however.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Let's send a signed framed photo of John Romero (something tasteful) to them when we track 'em down. (Hell, I wish I had one.)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Maybe this is less of an oldschool specific question, but what are all the FPS games with mixed akimbo weapons? Halo 2 and 3 do it, and I seem to recall some older FPS doing it, but I can't recall.

I know you can do a lot of akimbo stuff in GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, I forget if you can mix and match though.

Also, what are some games that let you do akimbo for guns other than pistols? Blood letting you do guns akimbo with bigger guns is the first one to come to mind. And dual Uzi's in Shadow Warrior I suppose. Looking for the John Woo history of the FPS genre.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

girth brooks part 2 posted:

You could mix and match a lot of weapons in Goldeneye, but it was actually a bug from cycling weapons a certain way.
Neat, I thought I remembered something like that. Also, Gunzerker in Borderlands 2 is a recent notable example.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

drrockso20 posted:

if we're counting Mods, then quite a few Doom mods will have at least one dual wieldable weapon(Project Brutality for example allows for both Pistols and Rifles to be dual wielded, and if you have a Chainsaw equipped and a Super Shotgun in your inventory than you get access to a special attack that lets you shoot the Super Shotgun while using the Chainsaw)
Grooovy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Johnny Law posted:

Also I went back to play The Altar of Storms tonight. Man that's an impressive stretching of Quake's capabilities... both the map geometry and also the gameplay coding for effects and new weapons/monsters.

Note that when you play it, be sure to use a modern Quake engine (I used the latest QuakeSpasm FWIW) and go with what the readme says for command-line options (it needs a big heapsize).
Right on, very impressive stuff! Statues coming to life and whatnot, I dig unexpected stuff like that in maps

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Woolie Wool posted:

Architecture and layout are an integral part of enemy encounters so yes it's still an issue.
I have this complaint for CastleVania: Symphony of the Night too, the inverted castle isn't nearly as fun to traverse as the original castle.

Random note, I've never tried one of those options to play a game in mirrored mode. I wonder if there's any appeal to that. DNF lets you do that, oddly enough.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 13, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I only played 1 (part of it), and 3 (liked that one). Just for the record I think Cortana's design in 3 is better. Being naked doesn't count if you're blue, like Mystique in the X-Men movies. I don't see the big deal, she's blue. Hell, Doctor Manhattan's blue dong is a celebrated piece of history. Rightfully so.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

Look at how drastic those changes are. Halo 1 is a purple tomboy girl from Tron. Halo 4 is a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition model with painted on clothes.
Or a doctor, or a laywer. Who happen to have that bodytype. In this case she's a blue plot delivery person. (I kid, I know painted on clothes is your point)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mak0rz posted:

Only tangentially classic FPS related but I figured you guys would get a kick out of this glitch I'm experiencing in Google Music.
The drive is experiencing discRoTT.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hmm what's the most obscure FPS I own. Gore: Ultimate Soldier, I think. I remember being mildly entertained at some points.

Zaphod42 posted:

SGT Mark just posted a screenshot from his set of levels meant to be played with brutal doom:

Lets not get into any discussions of doominess, but that looks pretty wild.

This is Map19 and supposedly you and 100 marines are assaulting a fortress together, and even tanks and aircraft assist in the assault. I'm damned curious to see how it plays out.
Is this Extermination Day, or just something that'll be bundled with a Brutal Doom update? That does sound pretty ambitious.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mak0rz posted:

quake is about shooting grenades into the faces if eldritch horrors while running and jumping circles around them at half the speed of sound and laughing at the flying meat and gurgling sound produced when they explode hth
When I played Scourge of Armagon recently I had both the music for that and the NIN Quake ambiance on a playlist. When the NIN stuff was playing, the game felt pretty disturbing and intense. That's the power of Trent right there.

In general it's nutty fun like you mention, but Quake does have a lot of ambiance. The crazy NIN ambiance though really takes it to another level.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

laserghost posted:

no one wants new Duke game
There are people who want a new Duke game, I want one. I have no doubt a new Duke game will find an audience. Even the nichest shooters like Shadow Warrior and Rise of The Triad have recent games people talk about. And this is Duke Dukem. Always bet on Duke.

This is a topic where people play almost any FPS they can get their hands on, you think people aren't interested in a new Duke game. C'mon now.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kazvall posted:

I'll take an actual Duke Nukem game anyday.
The pinball minigame in DNF alone is better than the original Duke Nukem. And I liked it at the time, you pick up soda, you blast little aliens with a pew pew gun thingy, it was fun.

Another note on how I keep seeing people saying "DO we really need a new Duke Nukem game?". It's an FPS franchise with two games in the past 19 years. They're not exactly oversaturating the market. If it's not something somebody is personally interested in, okay. But we have about fifty Wolfenstein games so far and nobody is saying "Enough is enough! I've had it with all these nazi fighting Wolfensteins on this Monday to Friday plane".

Random note, let's give it up for Allen Blum. It is pretty fun that he worked on every Duke Nukem game since the first sidecroller, and he was even the lead level designer on DNF. And he kept it going after 3DR shut it's doors. That guy pretty much is Duke Nukem, well him and Jon St. John.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 19, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Commander Keenan posted:

Does anyone care for the Duke persona anymore?
You personally not caring for something does not mean nobody else does. I can't even imagine how you'd think that. Even if it was a pretty average game it would probably sell a million copies, minimum.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Minidust posted:

This is going several pages back, but what was that front end for downloading/launching Doom mods? I'm trying to decide if I should go with something like that, or just make a bunch of custom library entries in Steam. Really wanna get Reelism and that Contra mod going.
ZDL is another nice lightweight Doom launcher. That ZDL 3.2.2.2 is the launcher I usually use.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RyokoTK posted:

I guess the difference is that every Wolfenstein game is good, and Duke has maybe two good games total if you allow fractions.

Also, there is absolutely nothing interesting about Duke's universe aside from Duke himself, whereas Wolfenstein evolved into a pretty interesting take on the really tedious WW2 shooter genre.
The beauty of individuality. We're both fans of early FPS games and whatnot, but we like different stuff. I really like DNF (and I Duke3D 24/7), while I don't like at least two out of the four major Wolfensteins personally. Haven't tried the latest game, though I hear people dig it. I didn't bring up the Wolf series to insult Wolf, just picked an example of another 90s FPS game that happens to have more games than Duke.

The Duke Nukem series doesn't capture your imagination, that's cool, but what's your point really? Just saying, my point was you never see somebody say "No more Wolfensteins!", even if they don't happen to be interested in Wolfensteins. But people who aren't into Duke will let you hear about it. Poor guy, he just wants some R&R on a curvaceous beach.

Minidust posted:

Aha! By adding that first pk7 as an "External File" in ZDL, and then running Doom II, it worked:
Here's my load up lately. Playing Suspended in Dusk for example (sid.wad), with Smooth Doom, the nicer sounds pack, and the metal music pack. I highly recommend those thingies, Smooth Doom is especially cool.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 20, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Colon Semicolon posted:

Duke never actually ran for president it was just a Proton robot.
Or the running for president scene takes place after the DLC in continuity, and it is Duke. If what you're saying was the intended plot wouldn't it be mentioned in the DLC? Unless I missed that.

Geight posted:

This is the only interesting interpretation of Duke Nukem that would be worthy making another Duke game about. Set it after he's lost his presidential election bid because he knows literally nothing about being the president, just sitting in an apartment watching old pulp movies like the washed-up has-been that Duke Nukem truly is, and boom aliens attack. Time for Duke to be relevant again!
Those ideas and the Johnny Bravo one to me would make Duke stand out much less. Even if it made him more relatable and whatnot, that's not ballsy enough. It might go down smoother for some if Duke for example is a failed lothario, but him being the most powerful babe magnet in history is bolder. Duke can be the butt of some jokes, naturally, but that's not where I'd take the character overall.

Also, what you're talking about is how they're doing Ash vs The Evil Dead, which looks terrific too. They're doing lots of jokes at Ash's expense, him having dentures etc, so I can dig that style. But that style of self-depricating humor I think works better for Ash than Duke. A character like Duke exactly as is could be used in all sorts of entertaining ways by any good creative writer.

Plus, you're pretty much describing Travis Touchdown. Duke is clearly a very different sunglasses wearing asskicker.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 20, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

elf help book posted:

The Duke Nukem Lore
I returned FF XIII shortly after I played some of it, shake it baby. It's no 90s FF, you wanna dance.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Woolie Wool posted:

An indie studio could do it using the Build engine or Id Tech 1/2/3 or Unreal Engine 1. That's what the indie market is for--making stuff that somebody wants whether or not its focus group approved.
That's true, and I wish we'd see more stuff like that. I got love for the NES, but it feels like we've seen eighty million sidescrollers and whatnot, but not very many indie games in this genre. Granted there are a few.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You roast one cartoon and you are stunned to silence when another cartoon is roasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It would be cool if they did include an episode of meticulously designed maps. Even if having randomized levels is their main thing, you'd think they'd have a few levels they specifically designed and are proud of they'd want to put out there.