Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

When my grandfather died, I broke down like he did before and it was incredibly liberating. God drat I loved that man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

war zu genervt heute Morgen, aber können wir bitte LEDs für Autos abschaffen? jedes mal in dieser dunklen Zeit das quasi Fernlicht aus 3 Spiegeln direkt in meine Fresse bis ich Kopfschmerzen bekomme :tfrxmas:

If light in your Fresse gives you Kopfweh, it's time to go to the arzt.
Also, many cars have something to at least abblend the rückspiegel, check your manual.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

Occasionally i was tempted to buy a 10000 lumen lamp i could switch on to demonstrate to people what they were doing.

I have one of those bike lamps (ok, 2700 I think) and a) they're loving great to see by, b) it's really hard to mount it so it doesn't get into anyone's eyes in all situations (and god help my gegner). The usual sign that I pointed it too high is cars swerving cause they can't see anything anymore.

Also, loving blinking lamps should be forbidden.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

is this the moment to post some pics of my selfmade pralines?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I don’t get the nomenclature on chilishop.de ...

https://www.chili-shop24.de/chili-zucht/chili-samen/schaerfegrad-0-3/4517/frontera-sweet-chili-samen?c=53
Schärfegrad 1 mild. Is this at least partially hottish or is this some Gemüse Paprika?

https://www.chili-shop24.de/chili-zucht/chili-samen/schaerfegrad-0-3/4427/lemon-dream-chili-samen?c=53
Schärfegrad 5 scharf. „besonders Kinder lieben sie“??
Also if it’s 5, why is it in the list for 0-3?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

That Lemon Dream looks like it's wrongly labeled. The table below says Schärfegrad twice, once with 0, once with 5, no Scoville. And nowhere else on the internet is Lemon Dream described as hot at all.

Oh, you’re right.
Hmm, a pity. I’ll take some anyway I think, they sound interesting and it’s not as if I don’t like normal paprika.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I just put my chilies in yesterday. Can’t wait aaaaaaaaaaa

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Speaking of chilies, my habanero from last year that I überwinterte has grown a new 1cm fruit already. Yay.

Less good, the new ones haven’t sprouted anything yet, but it’s only been 3.5 days so I remain hopeful.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You can. My experience has been that the thicker the Stamm and more solid the branching, the easier they pull through, and you get thick Stämme in large pots, because if the plant can keep expanding its rootwork continually, it will focus a decent amount of its effort on growth. It doesn't work out that well in the 10-12cm pots I'm aiming for in this season, but since I'm going for more diversity, I'm pretty okay with that.

Mine is now in a 15 * 100 or so and the Stamm is like 1.5cm. Some of the Blätter look a bit weird (brown places), but let’s see what happens.
I think potentially there are some which are only einjährig, but who knows. As long as they have warm (inside in the winter) and wet, just try it. I mean it’s not as if their original place really has seasons.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Drone posted:

So that's like 5 Chiligoons now, drat.

We should do a Germany thread hot sauce swap at some point or something :flame:

I’m in Switzerland, not sure if I’m allowed to bring this stuff over the border or if it counts as a weapon*. But sure, let’s meet up.

* my „mango“ habanero jam is a weapon. Needs to be diluted about 10 fold so you don’t have too much heat.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

bronin posted:

Wtf is going on in here with all the chili growing goons?

We like it it hot

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Ha, one of my chillies is sprouting, finally :agesilaus:

I was getting ready to tell them I'd :blastu: them and replace them with some vegetables, but it seems they sensed my mood.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

The (still single) sprout which I wrote about grew like 3cm in the next day. The rest still needs a good talking to though.
In other news the Majoran I seeded from some blooms from my parents is also growing, the pot has a green fuzz.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Happy International Women's day, y'all!

Also, it's time to umtopf some pretty plants into their final homes.

Since it’s soon going to be time for me to pikier my first chili: did y’all really remove them from the Kokos ballen, or do you just move the Bällen over into the medium topf? The Ballen look optimal for that, especially if there’s only one sprout in it.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I think blaming the English language on the Mongols is a bit too far.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Some chili pics

Funnily, the only ones without any sprouts at all look to be the Lemon Dreams, I.e. the not-hot ones (comment by a colleague: klar, die haben nicht genug Pfupf!). Pity, I was actually looking forward to them.

I’ve begun taking some Samen from each chili I use for cooking and just chucking them into a Topf. They take quite nicely and are pretty fast growing too.

Left side the habanero from last year. It’s losing Blätter about as fast as it’s regrowing new ones. Not good but survivable at the moment.

The transplanted ones don’t really seem to be growing much at the moment, but we’ll see.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

That said, cars have done an impressive job of making GBS threads up the east in many many ways.

There’s a Trabby joke in there somewhere but I can’t find it.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Meh, the storm the last few days blew off one of habanero bulbs (and tons leaves and blooms), still green.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

First think about what you want to do with the bike:
- mountain bike?
- Racing?
- bike to work?
- Sunday with your girlfriend?

Territory:
- hilly, mountainy?
- tarred only?
- Feldweg?
- City, with tramschienen? (Bigger Pneus so you don’t get stuck)

Do you want/need Gepäckträger? Schutzbleche? Depending on your age & weight even small Stossdämpfer below the Sattel are lifesavers.
Disc brakes are really good, but hard to get on cheap second hand bikes.

Look around if there’s some kind of bike fair near you now, spring is the obvious time for them.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

oliwan posted:

literally the weirdest thing I have ever read in this thread.

The fact that you obviously don’t read your own posts explains much.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Zwille posted:

Chilies: left them outside at 1 degrees C a night back and I guess they all died. Took them back in but I’m not holding my breath, leaves look weak af. Got like 5 late bloomers still on a windowsill which are my only hope now. Hope one of the Sichuan ones make it!

Luckily I took in mine so they’re not dead (except for those dying to whatever else). Some of the Feuerküsschen now also have blooms, yay! They just don’t get bestäubt cause the weather is still poo poo for the next few days. I probably need to use some Wattestäbchen soon.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Zwille posted:

I got pics of one of the ones I gave away and it's growing like crazy! Dude claims he didn't do anything except put it on the windowsill, so my bet is that outside was too cold all along because mine have barely grown since then (and then apparently went full belly up). :saddowns:

Since most are from climates with temperatures above 20, 25 C, keeping them out in the night is still a bit off around here I think.
Although it might be an idea to get some variants from colder climates, like Hungarian or so which should be better with lower temps?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Randler: that's only Canton (which includes Gemeinde) (and maybe church), There's also a bit more for Bundessteuer.

Wengy: How much taxes do you pay? Or rather, how much do you earn that you have to pay that much??

I have soooo much no idea how much taxes I pay exactly (yes, I know, guillotine for privilege), but I think it's around 11k or so total for the canton and like 2k for Bund. And yes I think Canton ZH is lower than BE, but still.

Hmm, ok, for my stuff I'd have to pay like 9k more for living in Bern Stadt, ahaha. And for you as Doppelverdiener, well, glhf I guess.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I think it's extremely fun to see 2 fash parties zerfleisch themselves.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Smirr posted:

Oh wow lol, I've often wondered how everyone seems to know not to even try to use that escalator, since it's not more obviously broken than any of the other broken escalators. But I guess word gets around over the span of 15 years.

e: oh, it's all of them at Ebertplatz, not only the specific one I was thinking of. That's actually reassuring in a way

I think you've been assimilated.

Sorry, it's too late for fleeing. The Kölsch have added your biologival distinctiveness.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm a bit bummed because I drove 60km to the nearest Sonderpreis Baumarkt in Wolznach to buy a couple of Winkel, Konsolen, and Holzplatten to fashion a series of homemade-chili-regale for the wall of my balcony, but alas, the structural consistency of my balcony wall isn't as lovely as the actual walls in my apartment. It would seem that whoever built this building had concrete bits from the Uboot-Bunker in Brest shipped in, so I actually burned out an SDS drill bit after 10 minutes of schlagbohring for a single hole out of six proposed ones. I've compensated by just putting the old throwaway table on my balcony, drinking a beer and calling it a day.

After some personal experience with this, are you SURE that you bought a Betonbohrer? Cause after some problems I had Drilling which sound similar, I went and read what reaaaaally was written on the package of the the Bohrkopf and then went and got some real Betonbohrer and then it was really smooth to make some holes.
You don’t want Steinbohrer, look explicitly for Betonbohrer. Apart from the price the most important difference was that the Betonbohrer had a slight gold tinge at their head.
Also don’t buy the cheapest ones.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

That's an Onion article, isn't it?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Walking up the dome is pretty distracting. If you like eating I recommend Hansestube Gourmetmenü with Weinbegleitung (not exactly cheap) or Rheinterassen. Schokolademuseum. Icebar at Hilton.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

oliwan posted:

I want to make fun of this post but I'm not sure if it is ironic

If you mean the contrast between doing something strenuous and eating lots of stuff.
There's a reason I've only done the Dom once: it's loving strenuous.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Well, if you just cut back a little on balconies, I'm sure you could afford more than one offspring.

But where would he put them then?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Randler posted:

Aktuell liege ich in Deutschland, Ba-Wü, bei 55.000?, was rund 2.750 Euro Netto sind (GKV Metzinger BKK ohne Zusatzbeitrag, keine Kirchensteuer).

Nun habe ich ein Jobangebot aus der Schweiz, wo ich rund 6.000 CHF netto verdienen würde. Ich frage mich, ob es möglich ist, von 3,000 CHF als Single normal leben zu können.

Normal Leben heißt für mich:

1 mal im Jahr für 10-14 Tage schönen Urlaub (Mittelmeer, Atlantik, rund 1000EURO)
3-4 mal im Jahr Städtetrip (Europa, 200-300 Euro je Trip)
Eine halbwegs vernünftige Wohnung (40 - 50 qm reichen mir eigentlich, in Schaffhausen, Zürich Umland, Thurgau ist das wohl möglich)
Mein Auto unterhalten (abbezahlt aber 3,8 Liter V6 will betankt und versichert werden)
Schöne Klamotten (Lacoste, Hilfiger wobei immer und nur im Sale bei diveresen einschlägigen Online Shops)
Lebenmittel kaufe ich gerne bei Discountern
Was ich nicht brauche sind ständige Restaurant oder Kino Besuche und sonstige (in meinen Augen) Geldverschwendung

In Deutschland schaffe ich das mit 2,750 netto bzw. spare je nach Monat 500-1000 Euro.

Ich frage mich ob ich das in der Schweiz mit 3,000 CHF (zur Zeit rund 2,700 Euro) auch schaffen würde.
Wenn ja, dann könnte ich 3,000 CHF pro Monat sparen, was ja 2,700 Euro sind (Stand 01/2016). Das würde ja heißen, ich könnte in der Schweiz so viel Geld monatlich zurück legen, wie ich in Deutschland überhaupt verdiene.

Ich bin regelmässig in der Schweiz und weiß das es sehr nette Schweizer gibt aber eben auch solche, die Deutsche regelrecht hassen. Ich weiß nicht, ob ich mir das mein Leben lang geben will. Auf der anderen Seite reizt mich der Gedanke, in 5 Jahren rund 200,000 CHF ansparen zu können.. wenn ich dann nach Ba-Wü zurück komme kauf ich mir ne 3 Zimmer Wohnung aus der Porto Kasse (Stuggi Innenstadt mal ausgenommen aber die mag ich eh nicht).

PS Einkaufen würde ich nicht in der teuren Schweiz sondern in Deutschland und mir dann schön die Märchensteuer erstatten lassen.

Ich frage mich grade echt nur wo der Haken ist.. kann doch nicht sein dass man in der CH tatsächlich netto doppelt soviel hat?!

well ...
depends what exactly you consider netto and how you compare it to DE. W.g. is the Nettolohn 12 times or 13 or ? Also you need to pay Krankenkasse yourself (~300CHF/month, more if older). Also taxes aren't payed yet, but no idea how exactly the tax stuff works for foreigners.

Importing all your food/other stuff from DE can be a bit of a chore, you're only allowed 300CHF a day!
Mindestlohn or Armutsgrenze or so is ~4000CHF/month but I think that's brutto.
You can probably find out what the car would cost for canton and insurance (try comparis). Remember to get cost for parkplatz.
Most stuff is also more expensive so as soon as you need stuff from CH your money will go down.
Going to holidays from Switzerland is more expensive than going from DE.

Putting back 1500-2000 should be possible, 3000 if you want to do a really low-level living.
6500CHF is certainly a good lohn, but I somehow doubt you get rich with it. What exactly are you doing?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Herzliches Beileid.

Having had something similar with an aunt where we couldn't really do anything: push your relatives above ~70 to have a Patientenverfügung and an Organspende-Ausweis so there is a chance to spare the surviving people some anguish. I hope my parents have done so.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

oliwan posted:

How the gently caress is this even relevant? Are you trying to make the insane argument that conservatives have better policies for families and people with careers?

No, but the other part of "old people grow more conservative"* is "wait till you have a family/a house/(1), then you'll understand". Because if you have a family andor a house, you're likely to take less chances i.e. be more conservative.

* which is a serious misunderstanding of Conservative (on the middle-right side of the political spectrum) and conservative (less likely to change your mind / risk-averse).
(1) which is more likely above 30.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Wengy, I love you (with or without balconies), but can you stop loving answering to Oliwan and probably Cingulate also.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

You should probably do a Fahrtenbuch if you're using a car. For ÖV it's just the abo. If you have both, no idea how it works in DE, but make an extrablatt where you put all the stuff on it with a sum and use that.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

pidan posted:

Isn't the Swiss military the one that keeps invading Austria by accident?

As others said that's mostly Lichtenstein. It's also pretty unfair, we also invade France regularly (much of the border is in woods), Germany at least by single people (some border crossing routes near Schaffhausen are allowed for civilians without "border crossing" but not for people on military duty. The rest of the border is the Rhine fortunately), shell Italy (who knew that shooting at Alps when you aim too high might lead to the shell flying further? I think they stopped the alp shelling generally though).
The only neighbor I'm actually not too sure about is Austria, most of the border is the Rhine and in the Alps which limits the amount of military people around. But with the proven ability of Swiss military to read maps (i.e. nearly nil. "What's that broad green line on the map? Probably not important"), I'm sure we do that regularly too.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

genericnick posted:

The Austrian army is mostly kept in check by rampant alcoholism though.

Show me one that isn't.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

i wish the cherry tree in your backyard was any good but it mainly makes cherry that less than a centimeter in diameter and i have no idea what the gently caress
Probably wild cherries, which can be cool and used for all sort of stuff, but obviously have much less fruit flesh.

If you knew what you do, you could propf another cherry sort onto it, but that’s more for early spring I think.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

that's an interesting thought. i could bring a branch from my parents' tree?

also the cherry tree we have here is gigantic (banana for scale)

That looks like a good banana (unlike nearly all else bananas).
Those look like Weichselkirschen and a loving huge tree of it. Weichselkirschen stay from the color like that, slightly translucent, maybe a bit fuller of that red, but not darkred/violet/nearly black like most other Kirschen. I think Weichsel in general are a bit later than other varieties. They’re also a bit more sour.

If you get more rain and sun the kirschen could get to a good size still.

I only remember this from my father when I was young:
- you need to cut back the tree (in think in fall andor spring). This should generally push the tree into more fruits and bigger fruits since it doesn’t need all the energy for growing.
- for propfing you need a new cut on the tree, some Baumwachs I think it’s called (green, slightly sticky) and some twine. You then bind & stick the newly cut twig from the other tree to that. I think in spring?
Since you have no clue and I don’t either, go to some Gartencenter or Gärtner or Landwirt or whatever and ask them! Better let them do it and watch.
The tree is certainly big enough that you need a profi to cut it down anyway.

I would go now and ask around so you know if you need to do stuff in fall or spring and when exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

one word: ebike