Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Another interesting tidbit is that with ray tracing at 4k with Ultra textures, you're overflowing an 8GB card, and 10GB is cutting it close.

How much VRAM would be used with those settings at 1440p, instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

KingKapalone posted:

I'll check this and the rest of the advice today.

What's the best way to adjust fan curves? Afterburner? I don't want this thing getting too loud if I can avoid it. It's sitting right next to me after all.

Afterburner for GPU. Either BIOS or something like Argus Monitor for everything else, imo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

KingKapalone posted:

I'm hearing a faint ticking noise, almost like the second hand on a quiet clock, with my XC3 Ultra 3080. That's not coil whine right? I'm afraid it's going to make me go insane eventually.

If you have a chipset fan, it might be that, too.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

it dont matter posted:

Been having this annoying issue with windows recently - after exiting a game my desktop is not resizing itself correctly. Although my background and taskbar look normal, the right half (sometimes 2/3rds) of the screen isn't accessible. App windows won't go in there, my diagonistics sidebar tool is sat in the middle of the screen, and I can't left click in there either (although right click still works). Setting res in windows and nvidia control panel doesn't fix it. Have to log out/in to reset it. GTX 1070. Latest drivers.

Any idea wtf?

No idea what is causing the issue, but does pressing Win+ctrl+shift+B to reset the video driver temporarily fix your issue so you don't have to log in/out?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Animal posted:

How can the DualShock 4 have more latency wired than BT.

How can the XBone game pad have the same latency over BT and radio and wired

IIRC, the ds4 over Bluetooth has a super high polling rate. Higher than over USB. It's why the battery life on the controller is so short compared to others.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

mysteryberto posted:

I recall reading somewhere on Reddit that having the card mounted vertically interferes with the heat pipes, not sure if it's BS or not. Can you try your case with the card horizontal?

Like others here, I also have/had this case and, no, it's not possible to mount the card horizontal.

However, if the OP wants to upgrade their FT02/RV02 case...

- AP183 fans (pwm control!): https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=847&bno=55&tb=101&area=en
- new front/top panel /w USB-C: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=868&area=en

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah the card's not really designed for sitting vertically and it looks like your intake is at the bottom with maybe an inch of clearance at best?

uh, what other monstrosities are people in this thread hiding

It's very slightly more than an inch of clearance between the floor and the fan intake. That case is still among the best CPU air cooling cases ever but has fallen to mid-range or a little above mid-range for GPU air cooling. It still provides more than enough airflow for a 3080.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it looks like poo poo in all regards, but i guess you can bruteforce performance with 3x 180mm fans

I mean, yeah, that was kinda the point. It still happens to do the brute forcing at lower volume levels than 90% of all other cases. It is also like a 10+ year old design. Once I can build a new system in an O11D-Mini, my FT02 will be turned into a media server to take advantage of all that drive bay space with direct cooling. Probably still the best non-rack case for that specific purpose.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, there should be a spot in the top right of that picture for a 120mm fan.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

HalloKitty posted:

The MX-5 is called Miata in some markets.

And it is an awesome little sports car, tbh.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cygni posted:

basically anything involved in the delivery of the angry pixies can impact the coil whine, from the wall to the card.

Yup. Even down to other electronics plugged in on the same circuit in your house can cause coil whine to appear in any other device also connected to that circuit.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MarcusSA posted:

Yay for working eye balls!

I definitely notice it when I’m using these apps but in games eh.... I dunno.

It's more noticeable the faster your camera or things on screen move.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

slidebite posted:

Is that an MSI thing? Do we know the reasoning since most others seem to be 2x power leads?

Allows for more power to be pushed to the card for marginal performance benefits.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

For real though, if you're using a DAC I heartily recommend picking up a ground loop isolator. The electrical interference caused by a video card and poorly isolated motherboards can be annoying. If you hear discrepancies in your audio, especially when your GPU is under heavy load, check one out.

I don't have ground loop isolators for my DACs (not even sure what that is, tbh), but I do make sure that my audio equipment have independent power sources so that they don't rely on the relatively unstable USB ports of my PCs for power.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

fletcher posted:

The dot vs X method does not really matter. I think the issue is that you are just using waaaay too much thermal paste.

As long as you clean up the excess that squeezees out the sides, there is no harm in using more paste. It doesn't cool worse.

E: or maybe I'm wrong because gpu coolers lack enough clamping force to do that

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

buglord posted:

Wait so supply is still the same as last gen? It’s just quarantine+stimulus+crypto which has done it? I was under the impression there was a year of undersupply because of covid precautions and factory shutdowns.

The uptake on Steam hardware surveys is much greater than the 2000 series era and rivals the uptake on the 1000 series era, iirc.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Smythe posted:

would it be stupid to put in for a RX 6700 XT? a do a little video editing but mostly want a pc to game on. also do some obs streams (for work, sorry creeps)

i also push udp streams around a lot but i think thats mostly CPU? =O

Nvidia has the far better gpu encoder.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rookoo posted:

Been on the wait list for a step up 3080 since October (which I'm not complaining about, I knew I was getting into a long wait) but the card I'll be recieving has been changed to a LHR model.

Are they telling the truth that the only difference is that it's worse at crypto (which is fine by me) and also what would motivate them to kneecap these new cards if their #1 priority is to like, sell cards full stop? Can't imagine it's out of the goodness of their hearts for gamers.

They make a line of cards specifically for miners in which Nvidia have a higher profit margin on.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rinkles posted:

1080p. But shouldn't the CPU be maxed out if that's the bottle neck?

Not necessarily. There can be some inefficiencies when it comes to accessing memory or internal communication within the cpu itself that won't be reflected in the Windows task manager cpu usage graph or other tools.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

shrike82 posted:

an apple (portable) console would be awesome but for whatever reason, management there doesn't seem to give a poo poo about gaming

on a side note, i'm pretty skeptical about the steam deck - i think many people are going to be disappointed with its 720p30+ performance when they get their hands on it

I plan on playing FF XI on it, so I think I will be perfectly happy with the performance. lol

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

64bit_Dophins posted:

Got my ASRock Challenger D 6700xt today.

This thing is totally cool and good. Resident Evil Village looks drat near real life this is completely crazy.

I have a 750w EVGA gold power supply and everything is fine so far.

I've had this power supply for about two years so it probably wouldn't hurt to invest in a new one soon.

Good power supplies can last for a decade before needing replacement.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Skyarb posted:

People keep talking about undervolting their 3000 series GPUs but this goes against so much dogma for me, surely this would reduce performance?

A 1% reduction in performance can reduce power consumption by 10-20%.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. Is this a good thing?

It is less ideal than a monolithic die, but may be a necessary move in order to continue getting more powerful parts at a reasonable price.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Install sizes are going to be smaller because they aren't duplicating assets to get around low hdd seek times anymore.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

mA posted:

It's a simple solution. Get a deeper desk.

Or use a wall-mounted monitor arm and pull the desk back from the wall.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PageMaster posted:

What are safe GPU temp ranges? Stress testing my new system but don't have a benchmark for context. Furmark is showing 80C with fans at 73%. I understand I can get it lower through undervolting or higher fan speed, but I'm not chasing lowest temp possibles, especially if it's comes with higher noise or less performance; my goal is safe temps. Room temp is at 74 to 76 if that matters. A lot of posts online saying this is really high, but I feel like a lot of those are bragging or serious hardware min/maxers

As long as you aren't throttling, I wouldn't worry about it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nuts and Gum posted:

You’d likely get the same performance out of a 970.

My gf has a 970 and plays at 1080p and I can confirm that no, no they wouldn't. She has to turn new titles down to medium or low settings to hit 60 fps. Especially settings that use a lot of vram.

E:v or did you mean just those games in particular?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

spunkshui posted:

Gamepass is 1$ for 3 months. They give you a 90% discount on the first month and then award you two free additional months.

Time to find out if mechwarrior 5 makes me feel 10 again.

Mechs can punch in the newest update. It's rad.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just change the fan curve and don't bother adding another fan, imo. Worst case, the fan will just kick in later. Probably a good idea to find at what temp it idles with no fan and start the fan curve like 5c above that. Assuming it idles under 50c, which it should.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I made the same jump this week, it really is a whole new world out there. Now to just clear out this backlog of games I've been holding off on.

Speaking of, even if this is the GPU thread- is the XBox (X/1/360?) controller the go-to for Windows or is there something better since apparently Real Yakuza use a controller.

There is always this bizarre thing you can pair with a separate mouse for a hybrid controller + mouse solution: https://www.azeron.eu/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw this thing is really fuckin cool

I pre-ordered one a while back and it should come this spring. Honestly can't wait as it is a type of controller I have wanted since I was in high school. There are some other ones similar to this, but using a key pad, instead. This seems better for my old hands.

I designed mine to look like Mardi Gras since I moved away from South Louisiana a while back:

My gf loves 80s and cyber punk aesthetics, so she designed this one:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Welp, my gaming PC finally turned into a paperweight the other day, changing my desire to build a new PC from "Maybe I'll get on it when GPU prices normalize" to "I guess I'll camp out in front of a Best Buy and fight any little kids who try to cut in lines for a GPU."

Does anyone recommend a guide to getting a GPU for close to MSRP in this market? Twitter accounts to follow? Bots to install? Do sex favors for scalpers?

You can get them for close to MSRP pretty easily if you buy a pre-built! :v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Even if you’re just doing it to recoup the cost, doesn’t mining significantly affect the lifespan of a card?

not if you are doing it in a way to maximize your return

that involves undervolting so you get the best balance of power draw + computing power

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So, turn on vsync in the game then? I have gsync on already

No, turn on VSync through the Nvidia control panel. Turn in-game VSync off.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sphyre posted:

:rolleyes: they're there, but it's not a dealbreaker, is all we're saying. congrats on having the framepacing equivalent of perfect pitch though

The poo poo that happened at the end of the Sajam clip above does not require the frame pacing equivalent of perfect pitch to be a deal breaker. That kind of hitch straight up gets your character killed with no way to prevent it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

repiv posted:

you should anticipate ethereum never actually switching to proof of stake because its perpetually 6 months away

they literally just delayed the switchover again

Also, the people with all the mining gpu's will just switch to some other butt coin that users PoW so that they can still make money on their cards.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

hobbesmaster posted:

The nature of a game loop in a fps means that the main thread is likely always going to be limited by single thread performance.

That's the nature of all code, though. The main thread is always limited by the slowest thread which is always limited by single thread performance.

e: I'm just confused by the point you are trying to make. Not trying to be glib.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Too Many Birds posted:

it's possible. the whole PC kind of has a hum (think tibetan bowl) when its running under load now. can't hear it when I have headphones and the game I'm playing is has lots of sound going on. this issue could be fixed by placing my PC on the ground instead of my desk so I can't hear it :v:. maybe I'll look into a small stand for it so it's not on the carpet like all my previous PCs were.

I bought one of these because it could hold so much dang weight: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019R2EYH6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can fit a full-size arcade stick underneath it, too. It was only $43 when I bought it as opposed to the nearly $57 it is selling for now on Amazon.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Agreed posted:

In real world usage I have never seen more VRAM used for DLSS than the same resolution at native. Seems like it couldn't be, almost, I mean it's upscaling - if it were more performance intensive wouldn't that rather defeat the point?

It could just be a tradeoff of more memory usage for less processing usage. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Unlucky7 posted:

I got this thing at $250, though I still think I paid a bit too much.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/pfc-sinewave/cp1500pfclcd/

I will use it but also keep that receipt and keep an eye out.

I have five of these protecting my home electronics (two for two pc systems, one for home server and routing equipment, and two for two TVs with consoles and speakers (except sub because they draw too much power).

I also have a smaller one protecting some kind of internet delivery box in the garage because I work from home and if that piece goes out due to brief power loss, then I lose internet for several minutes.