Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

bhsman posted:

-Wayland Games – Another store with lots of discounts that is popular with European players.

Anyone who likes Wayland should have their genitals irradiated. It's a terrible, terrible store that nobody has any right buying from.

Is it worth including some links or info about carrying case options? There always seems to be a steady stream of questions on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
GW strikes again! I ordered 5 of the fancy tape measures as soon as they went up as i thought that they were limited. When i realised my error, i rang them up and they cancelled my order and refunded my money. I then replaced my order for just 1. Today, 6 arrive!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
It's a shame that the red eyepiece is the release mechanism for the tape, it would be awesome removing it and fitting it with one of the laser pointers they did a few years back.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Creepy Goat posted:

Is Bits & Kits still down for maintenance for anyone else? Been down for nearly a week, not sure if it's something cached on my end or whether it really takes that long to clean up a site built entirely in Notepad.

Yup, down here.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Shockeh posted:

And yet, somehow this master strategist was late to the Battle for Terra?

He was off fighting Curze according to Age of Darkness.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Deviant posted:

Then we're going to have to agree to disagree, as I feel your rights as a TO stop short of denying me legitimate unit choices. They are equally as valid as any codex unit.

Never look at comp then, it'll make your head explode.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BadLlama posted:

Anyone have some simple suggestions for making IG troopers faces not look like poo poo when painting? Like right now I just put flesh color there because the faces are so tiny adding detail is hard( I am a terrible painter) but it looks like poo poo doing this.

Don't really bother with detail, just some shading will be fine.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Phyresis posted:

illegal list; only 1 Troop choice taken

Warriors and Stealers....

vvv Whoops.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 11, 2012

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm sure some well adjusted individual will have an army that consists of Klansmen Redemptionists alongside Nazi Guard, just for that fully offensive impact.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Moola posted:

Buy one pack and call up for a few free replacements due to casting problems.

Price isn't so bad now. :thumbsup:

No, not :thumbsup:, that's a massively cuntish thing to do, and is basically fraud/theft. It's also likely that that attitude is a huge part of the recent shift in GW policy to make people return defects to the retailer they bought it from.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Moola posted:

I was actually joking about how any finecast you order is still pretty much garunteed to be faulty, and the silver lining is you might get a free replacement/refund that justifies the high cost.

Not, totally order some finecast then call up and pretend it's faulty for free shits yo! :thumbsup:

Fair enough, but your first post did read like you were saying the latter. Lots of finecast is faulty, but lots of it is no more faulty than the metal sculpts were. Not that that is an excuse, but the finecast detractors seem to conveniently forget that plenty of metal models were hosed too by leaking metal, mis-aligned moulds etc. Having said that, they really should have sorted things so that most models are satisfactory by now.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Torabi posted:

I will never order anything from Maelstrom games again. Ever. I ordered some Vallejo Black Lava and Commissar Yarrick from them on July 3rd. They have yet to dispatch it and support is really slow, over a week ago they told me that they were still waiting for the Vallejo stuff and that they would dispatch things within a few days and now it is quiet and no reply on my support ticket.

What pisses me off is that Dark Sphere just randomly stops shipping, it took them a week to give me my stuff. But Maelstrom can't even dispatch it within a month! I move out in like two weeks so I won't be around to pick up my order if I'll ever get it.. :argh:

Maelstrom and Wayland are both utter poo poo for shipping, but recently Dark Sphere has gone the same way, as you mentioned. I ordered 4 pots of P3 paint on the 10th, and i'm still waiting for them to be dispatched. Apparently, they were missing from the order that DS received, so it seems that DS may well have gone to the horrible stock system that makes Maelstrom and Wayland so poo poo, namely that they keep zero stock and order it as the order comes in.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Did the Talos or Chronos improve in 6th, or are they still pretty poo poo?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Lungboy posted:

Did the Talos or Chronos improve in 6th, or are they still pretty poo poo?

Quoting this in case it got lost on the last page.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

enri posted:

Matt Ward spotted

Ok, with the urge to get back into 40k.. I'm at that point were I need to pick a project to start on.

Things that will be a bonus:

- small model count, lack of time painting and I don't want to commit to a horde army if I can avoid it

- minimal finecast models in the army's range (not too fussed on characters, but steadfastly avoiding any armies that have units made up of finecast minis)

I need a small model count due to distinct lack of painting time, me and Mrs Enri have just had our second child so any of you 'dad' wargamers out there can sympathise with how badly that eats into your free time. minimal finecast because.. well.. without wanting to stir up lol failcast discussions, I just haven't had any good experiences with it plus the clean up required on them is atrocious.

At the moment I know I'm just going to end up going down the space marines route. Hrmpf.

Deathwing is an obvious choice, with new DW Terminators in the soon-to-be-released starter box and a new DA book next year (probably). All Terminator GK and SW armies are also doable, and keep the model count down. Another option would be Orks. Fully kitted Warboss, Big Mek, Mega Nobz and a Deff Dread for Troops. I think they just turned Mega Nobz Finecast though, so that might be an issue unless you can hunt down the metals. Death Guard also tend to be low model count armies, and again are due for a new book in October-ish.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Corrode posted:

If I actually liked the models or fluff in any way and my buddy wasn't playing them exclusively I'd be running them as my first choice for tournament armies at the moment.

This is my problem with Necrons, I just can't like them for some reason.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
To go back to the Lysander love-in for a second, is it only the addition of allies that makes him worthwhile in 6th, or is there a pure SM list that he can work in? Tempted to paint him up for my oath this month but i have no interest in BA allies.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Dominion posted:

People's first instinct is to put him with hammernators but that wastes half his abilities. The best place for him is with Sternguard, maybe in a drop pod. He adds so much survivability that they can actually survive a round or two longer than normal, and he twinlinks all their special ammo bolters.

Sounds like it could be worth a shot.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Infinite Karma posted:

(use Khan's model if you want I guess)

Khan's model, for some unfathomable reason, is on foot.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Hashtag Nascar posted:

It's been a while since I've seriously played WH40k, but recently when I was rooting around in my collection I found a Sergeant Centurius model still in it's original blister pack. Is there any demand for this type of model any more? As far as I remember it was a limited edition thing.

No, no demand at all. Send it to me.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Imagine my pleasure when I discovered that it had glued itself to the glass shelf in my display cabinet.

FW confirmed it's badly mixed resin and said the only thing to do is let it drain. I'm thinking about ringing them again tomorrow and seeing if they will let me hand it in at my local GW for a replacement.
I don't really have any hope that they will because I bought the kit about three years ago. In fact I'm sure they'll say no. But at the moment I'm feeling pretty gutted that I paid £100 for something that is leaking poo poo all over itself through no fault of mine, and which at best will be an arseache to fix, but will more likely break in the cleanup process. Even in a best case scenario I'm going to have to rebase and repaint it. So all in all, I'd rather just have a fresh kit.

I'm QQing about manbaby toys basically.

Mention that you are a disablor and know Phil Kelly! If they don't instantly chuck new resin at you then cry down the phone to them.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
http://www.rockethobbies.co.uk/

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Corrode posted:

The FLGS owner in Bristol recently gave me an interesting line about why orders were getting hosed up - the new automated system that GW uses will reject a whole order (remember, you get one a week) if any part of that order is out of stock. So if you order a grand's worth of stuff and Slaanesh Pink is out of stock that £2.50 pot of paint will screw up the whole order. I don't know how true it is, but it might explain the recent trouble a lot of people are having.

It's not just GW stock causing issues, I had to cancel an order with Wayland due to it not even being processed after a week, and a recent Darksphere order for paint took weeks too.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Corrode posted:

I just picked up a Finecast Lysander to replace the metal one and it is beautiful. Detail flawless, no flash, no holes. It is glorious.

Don't tell me that, I have a metal Lydander that I was going to oath but know will be a cock to get ready.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

CyberLord XP posted:

If you know the distance between the outer guns you can do the math:

Assuming a distance of 8" between them you can make a right triangle that ends where all the guns intersect.

Know angles are: 90 and 67.5, know length is 4" (half the total distance. Using a little geometry you come up with 10.4525" ahead of the model as the convergence point where all guns can hit the same target if it's dead in front.

If the distance between the two outer guns is less than 8" then it will be closer, if it's more than the distance will be further.

It won't be 10.x" infront of the model will it, but 10.x" infront of the line on which the guns sit? The nose of the dakkajet looks to be several inches infront of the gun line.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Conversely, Harry said the list was probably kosher, plus Hastings is basing his opinion on the Tau being wrong, but it's likely that some Tau might be released before that list kicks in next June/July.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Wow, their "teaser" trailers are a complete waste of time and effort. Either tell us that the starter is going up for preorder on the 28th, or don't bother at all.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I can't decide whether to buy a couple of starters and split them for sale, or not bother. I did it with IoB and made enough from 2 boxes to pay for a 3rd which i kept, but nobody knows what the crap a Hellbrute will be, or if anyone wants any cultists.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I don't know, as dumb as the dragon does sound their track record on daemon engines is actually pretty drat good. They have an established aesthetic for them now, so hopefully it'll be more Decimator and less Galrauch.

gently caress Galrauch, and gently caress you for reminding me of his existence.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Moola posted:

Never change GW. :allears:

It's been like that for years. Originally the box came with 2 sets of sprues i think, but they changed it at some point and didn't alter the price.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
New FW Predator pattern:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/p/Predator_infernus.pdf
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/DEIMOS_PATTERN_PREDATOR_INFERNUS.html

120pts for a Pred chassis with an 18" large blast melta cannon :allears:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Yeah, they are fixing that and will update the rules apparently.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
6th starter has gone up for preorder.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Back to the Chaplain talk, have they stated anywhere he is limited? Everything I could see talks about the box with him added being limited, rather than him specifically. If I'm reading it correctly, they could well be intending to sell him separately later.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
There's also a female Commisar and a female grenadier (possibly Catachan, can't remember) but I think that's it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Would Fallen have black armour? They definitely wouldn't have any chest aquilla, so you'd need to remove those.

e: why do halved colour schemes tempt me so? I have no interest in DA, but i'm so close to painting the DA half up as Angels of Redemption.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 27, 2012

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
But don't the Fallen date from the Heresy, when the only Legion with chest aquilla were the Emperor's Children? My DA fluff is pretty weak.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I prefer Red Corsairs in their original loyalist armor but with it all defiled. It's how they used to be in the older CSM books.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Fil5000 posted:

My starter set order is showing as "dispatched" on GW's site - I wonder if it's actually on it's way...

I've just had an email saying it has shipped. However, i seem to recall from previous preorders that that means nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The UK page even says that orders will be available from local GW stores on the 1st, and that if you choose home delivery, they will be sent on Friday (essentially meaning you won't get it until monday at the earliest).

The standard edition is now up on the US site.

• Locked thread