Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Countblanc posted:

Hey black mage people, how do I use Flare? I'm 49 so I haven't actually gotten it yet, but it seems like a pretty important skill to understand. What situations will I use it in, and what's the best way to milk it considering its taxing MP cost?

Also re the OP: It was incredibly helpful when I came back for 2.2, and a friend of mine who started playing just before 2.3 found a lot of good info in there too, so people do read it.

I use it for AOEs exclusively. If Conversion is up, you can toss out a Flare > Conversion > Swiftcast > Flare, otherwise my rotation is Fire III > Fire II > Flare > Transpose and repeat until mobs are dead. (Fire II is in there just to fill time because otherwise you'll cast Flare and Transpose will still be on cooldown, skip it on the initial set) You can also Flare > Conversion > Flare > Mega Ether > Flare, if you wanna toss out three in a row. (You need somewhere around 250 MP minimum to cast Flare, so an Ether or Hi-Ether will not work)

I never cast Flare on a single target, and I never cast Flare while not in Astral Fire III.

edit: Oh, and this may go without saying, but make sure the mob you're targeting when you cast Flare has plenty of HP. Flare has a very long cast and it's really annoying to have it interrupted because someone else killed your target.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SpamPudding posted:

So I've decided to finally bite the bullet and try to transfer over to Excal (after the free weekend of course), has anyone else who has been trying to transfer post 2.3 found a time of day that worked for them?

Also, I already made a character on the server months ago , so I could force a name change when I transfer, will I still be able to do the server transfer process all through Mog Station (after I've left my FC etc.) or will I need access to the client too? I'm going to a conference the next couple of days so I'm not going to have access to the client, which is why I'm taking this opportunity to finally transfer.

I transferred over just fine earlier this week, Tuesday around 2PM (EST), a couple of friends were able to transfer the previous night around midnight. You should be able to do the entire process through the Mog Station, as long as there's nothing going on in-game to stop you like being in a FC or logging out in a residential district.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 17, 2014

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

seannykun posted:

They seem mad that someone has the audacity to call them on their bullshit BLM "tips" I guess. It seems half the people who post about BLM don't know what they're talking about.

I certainly don't know what I'm talking about. I just make poo poo up as I go and haven't had any problems because I stay out of the second coil.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Doublestep posted:

"I'm going to give people advice I know is wrong because I don't raid hee hee"

I'm sorry, that was a mistake and I should not have posted. I just wanted to help, I didn't realize how bad my advice was.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 17, 2014

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Paperback Writer posted:

I'm buying a PS4 tomorrow and thinking of this being one of my first purchases based on some reviews I've seen. I haven't really played a FF(or MMO) since XI which was okay. It's really, really good guys?

Dumb coming to a 700+ page thread and asking I know, but I'm just weary of MMOs after growing tired of the grinding years ago. But I love Final Fantasy and think this could be up my alley.

This is the first MMO I've played since Vanilla WoW that I didn't get bored of within a week, if that means anything. (I got bored of WoW before I hit the level cap, so even it didn't hold my interest for long)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Serperoth posted:

How much does it matter that you do ~optimal damage~? I'm lvl 40 BLM and often do have to wait for a regen proc when I cast Blizzard III or Transpose, because I have no Scathe mana or something like that. Is it something that should greatly concern me? I'm not spamming Blizzard I or anything, don't get me wrong, I just sometimes might use Blizzard III one more time while my mana fills up, that sort of thing.

The last time I gave BLM advice it turned out to be wrong, but I'm fairly confident that you don't want to be left waiting for MP regen ticks. What I do is cast Blizzard 3 when it'll leave me with enough leftover MP to cast Thunder 2, then I cast Fire 3 and my MP is full by the time the cast is complete. (Thunder 3 takes longer to cast than 2 and will leave you in Umbral Ice longer than necessary)

If the timing comes out weird and I know my MP won't be full when my Fire 3 cast is done, I'll toss out a Blizzard 1 as filler so I don't get back into Astral Fire short on MP.

If any of this is wrong, please correct me. I came up with this on my own, but I googled around and it looks like everyone does it this way.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Also try weekdays. I transferred from another server this week (pretty sure transfers and new characters are restricted at the same time, right?) along with a couple friends. Friends transferred over Monday night around 11PM or 12AM (EST), and I transferred over the following day around 2 or 3 PM. None of us had any issues.

Of course, if you're creating a character to take advantage of the free login and don't plan to subscribe, waiting until the weekend is over probably isn't a good idea.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

bonewitch posted:

Once you hit 50 the only things that are mandatory are the Hildibrand quests and your relic quest.

You would probably also want to grab most of the level 50 quests around Revenant's Toll to unlock all your hard mode dungeons.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

HampHamp posted:

I've also noticed a lot of people talking about the large hunting groups and linkshells, as a ps4 player is this pretty much off limits to me as I don't have teamspeak, or can teamspeak be used another way (smartphone or something)?

Teamspeak is available on both Android and iOS, but it is not free on either so you'll have to pony up a few dollars if you want to go that route.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I haven't really been paying attention to Hunts but my armor is pretty lovely so I figure I need to start so I can get armor. What do I need to do? I know you track down beasts that spawn randomly and kill them but how do I join up with people because the things die really fast I hear so any help would be great thanks!

Get Teamspeak and connect to the server ts.ffxiv.in

If you can't Teamspeak, then find the hunt train of 100 people and shout "Looking for a hunt party!" and someone will invite you. Politely request that they share coordinates in party chat because you can't get in the TS, and they probably will.

edit: assuming you're on Excalibur. The TS is an Excalibur thing, but shouting for hunt parties will probably work on other servers too.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Interesting, they used "Siva" instead of Shiva. Probably means nothing, and might just be a spelling mistake, but it certainly caught my eye I scrolled.

"Si" and "Shi" are two different romanizations of the same character (シ). It's just an odd choice of spelling.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

smaller Egi Burgers

Landsliders?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

CJacobs posted:

Question: How well does this game play with a controller? I noticed that it has loads of gamepad control options but... it's an MMO, and MMOs have a million buttons that you need to either press or die in a span of 2 seconds. How does it actually, y'know, work?

It works surprisingly well. You get 8 hotbars you can cycle through, and each one has 16 buttons on it (hold right trigger and press a face button or directional button to access 8 of them, hold left trigger for the others. You can also set an option to get an additional 8 if you hold both triggers at once) It's not perfect and it can be difficult to cycle through hotbars under pressure in situations where you need more than 16-24 skills/macros, but it's really not unplayable as you'd expect it to be. The analog control really helps with dodging AOEs, too.

I think keyboard and mouse is still the most effective control scheme, but using a controller doesn't gimp you as much as you would expect it to.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Tortolia posted:

Only thing I'll note on this is you can actually use two different sets of 8 skills by holding both triggers (the one you get depends on which trigger you press first), so you get 32 slots without manually swapping bars.

It can be a bit hectic at times but in all honesty it's not like it's instantly always recognizable where infrequently used skills are in a normal PC hotbar setup either.

Oh neat. I didn't actually know that.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

big sperma shot posted:

is excalibur worth 18 bucks

Yes, definitely.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I've almost finished with animus, so I'll be starting on novus soon. How should a BLM allocate their stat points? I understand crit and determination are good for any class, but I'm wondering if I would want spell speed or if I should shove a few points into piety to get an extra cast of Fire in my AF rotation.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

DizzyBum posted:

I tried to give the GLD some simple advice after the first couple noticeable mistakes he made (make sure to use Flash at the start of pulls, use your enmity combo, pay more attention to what's around you) but it fell on deaf ears. :(

When I first started leveling my conjurer I got a gladiator like that. We tried to give him this same advice and he ignored it, so after the third or fourth time I pulled all but one mob off the tank, the pugilist finally said "gently caress it, I'll tank."

That pugilist held hate perfectly through the entire dungeon. Never lost a single mob to me, the other DPS, or the gladiator.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

KillerQueen posted:

Any Malboro goons? Trying to come back to the game, but a buddy of mine doesn't really want to due to a lack of late-game Free companies on the server.

I used to be on Malboro. Get the hell out of Malboro and transfer to Excalibur; you won't regret it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Perfect timing. I just achieved my lifelong dream of being an anime schoolgirl last night.

Galmoured over Scholar so my weapon would match the outfit.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

CJacobs posted:

So, the cosmetic armor slot stuff is max level only, right? Like, there's no way to get it before 50? I have no idea how any of it works :shobon:

Yeah, there's a level 50 quest that unlocks the Cast Glamour skill, then you can make your gear look like different gear.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

CJacobs posted:

What do I do with the stuff I got from it?

They're all end-game currency you can exchange for gear and stuff. You probably won't get any use out of any of them until you hit level 50.

Tomes of Mythology are primarily used to buy item level 90 gear and also a bunch of miscellaneous bullshit related to the relic weapon questline, Tomes of Soldiery are primarily used to buy item level 100 gear, and Allied Seals are used to either by glamor gear or items you can use to upgrade the Soldiery gear to item level 110. There's also some other crap you can buy with Allied Seals but none of it is worth it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I'm trying and trying but I can't remember Ifrit's music, nor Leviathan's. I can't even remember the instruments or whether or not there are lyrics.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I once played with a white mage who had a macro set up to shout "SPIRIT BOMB" every time they used Holy.

I dunno if that counts as role playing, but it was really annoying because they were casting Holy a lot.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

kbell posted:

So I'm thinking about buying the game, I enjoyed the trial and got a gladiator to 20 (tanking is easy). But I'm on the wrong server and I'd rather have the game on Steam. I'm not worried about losing my progress and waiting for Excalibur to open up. But is there any benefit to having the game through Steam? Will Steam let me skip the patcher or does it make me log into steam and then log into my square enix account?

Steam makes you log into both. It might be possible to skip Steam and boot straight into the patcher, but it's definitely not possible to skip the patcher and just log into Steam.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
So for Scholar, is the optimal hunt strategy to tag the mob with Bio, burn through all your Lustrates and then spam Succor? Or should I skip the Lustrates and go straight to Succor?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

bonewitch posted:

I'd just go for succors. Your contribution is based around emnity generation.

I thought Lustrate generated pretty good enmity, but I wasn't sure if it did enough to be worth using over an extra one or two casts of Succor. Thanks.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Since we're talking about Novus, how should I be doing mine as a BLM? Just crit and det, or do I want to mix in 7 points of Piety to get an extra cast of Fire in my AF rotation? Should spell speed be a consideration?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Klades posted:

Has anyone who plays using a DS3 or DS4 had the problem where the game will just sort of "forget" your controller for a moment and continue inputting the previous stick positions, resulting in your character continuing to move/camera continuing to spin? Someone I know has this problem and it is causing serious issues. Doesn't happen anywhere except FFXIV, either.

Yes. I never solved this, so I just switched to keyboard and mouse to fix the problem.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Speaking of slow, is a blm's Lethargy ever useful at all? It seems like every time I cast it, the enemy is immune to all of its effects, and if it does work it doesn't seem to make a notable difference to anything.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I use everything on my BLM, except apocatastasis. That skill has it's own special place off in the corner.

Really? I use Apocatastasis more often than Lethargy, now that they buffed it so it applies to all magic damage instead of three specific elements.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SpazmasterX posted:

Frankly, anyone that actually buys them at that price deserves to lose their money anyways. The prisms don't suddenly stop working a week from now when the price invariably drops down to sub-normal levels from the flooded market and serial undercutters.

But I want to wear cute clothes now

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

TwistedNails posted:

If you're on our server join the hunt TS, it's very much worth it. As a WHM you will dot the mob then spam aoe heals for full credit.

Which aoe heal is best to spam, by the way? I just got my WHM to 50 and will probably start using it in hunts since it's better than SCH, but I'm not sure which heal generates the most enmity. All I know is to get Medica 2 on everyone before the pull.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, if you ignore that "mobs get culled so badly half the time you can't ever hit them" thing, the "if you aren't basically there as/before they spawn they die so fast you basically get nothing" thing, and the "if you're on Excalibur and a PS3 player, you might as well not bother since the TS blacklists PS3 people" thing. :v:

I'm pretty sure the TS doesn't blacklist PS3 players. I have heard that hunting on PS3 is pretty much impossible though, since your load times are tremendous. (This may also cause some individual parties made up of assholes to kick you, but it's not like it's a TS-wide rule)

But yes, the hunt is absolute poo poo and I loving hate it and I hate what it's done to the duty finder. (I have never seen 10+ minute healer queues for stuff like high level roulettes until the hunt was added. No one plays the actual game anymore because they're too busy hunting.)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

bonewitch posted:

Speaking of BLM, whats the best way to handle Firestarter procs? I've found that if I chain-cast Fire I, the proc won't appear until I'm halfway through casting Fire and sometimes I'll get unlucky and get another proc on top of the first one.

Just keep casting and don't worry about it. Don't interrupt a cast in order to cast Fire 3, and don't delay casting your next spell to see if you get a proc. If Firestarter procs and you're in Umbral Ice, cast Transpose before you cast Fire 3, it's free damage.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I hope in 14 hours, they get less than five atma, then they say "we still aren't going to increase the drop rate."

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Belzac posted:

most players can get it done in 20 hours of pure farming. That's not a lot to ask to upgrade your weapon.

Yes it is. 20 hours is a long time. 20 hours is almost an entire day of your life spent doing the same monotonous task and getting no actual reward other than a bump to your item level. No stats, no significant visual difference.

It's like work, except you pay THEM for the privilege of doing it. It is a bad gameplay mechanic. This is a fact, not an opinion.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Doublestep posted:

I'm not exactly a big fan of atmas but holy poo poo you're playing an MMO 20 hours is not a significant time investment for a weapon you can continuously upgrade

It is an MMO, therefore being fun to play is not a requirement.

I mean, atma really isn't as bad as people make it out to be and I don't hate it as much as that post implied, but it's a bad mechanic and I won't budge on that. It's the most transparent case of padding game time without spending any development money I have ever seen, and I loving played Bravely Default to 100% completion.

Harettazetta posted:

Atmas are just the tip of an iceberg of terrible, anyhow.

Abandon questline.

Yeah, animus was significantly worse than atma (now you get to spend an hour doing LITERALLY NOTHING, three times per book!)

Novus has been better so far, but I haven't had to buy any materia yet since I have a stockpile.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Zombones posted:

Welp, my PC died. I need a laptop for work anyway and found this bad boy for a pretty penny. Think I'll be able to run FFXIV on low?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834257833&cm_re=refurbished_asus-_-34-257-833-_-Product

My laptop is worse than that and it plays FFXIV just fine on low.

By "plays just fine" I mean "I have to use a separate computer for teamspeak and mumble or I bluescreen" but like I said, my laptop is worse than that so you should be fine.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Hunting is less fun than atma.

That's right, I said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

The Mattybee posted:

Wow I'm really glad FF14 is going down again for emergency maintenance!

How the gently caress does this happen all the loving time?

They just released a patch yesterday. Emergency maintenance always happens within a few days of a patch because it's inevitable that a few bugs would be introduced.

• Locked thread