Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fewd posted:

Treebuddy :buddy:

I'm working on trees too. It's a bit sucky that apparently the leaf blocks you plop yourself won't grow those vines like the original big trees.

My älftree in progress. Thinking I need to demolish those blocky houses and start doing ones more like what the vendor guy up there has.
Oh my god I am so jealous. How often does the item that makes living wood spawn? Last time our world had a Tree with no treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

All my money is spent on paint :unsmigghh:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Fewd posted:

I'm working on trees too. It's a bit sucky that apparently the leaf blocks you plop yourself won't grow those vines like the original big trees.

My älftree in progress. Thinking I need to demolish those blocky houses and start doing ones more like what the vendor guy up there has.

Dareon posted:

I found one in my first tree, so :iiam:
What's the name of the item that makes Living Wood? I finally found one of these with a chest, but it had a Leaf Wand.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

But the Crimson? The Crimson is just meat.
Everything there is made of meat.
The monsters are meat.
The drops are meat.
The boss is meat.
You are meat.
MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT :unsmigghh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I like the fountains. Built this on someone's house last night:

Gonna try making a huge waterfall.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

My world finally got the steampunk merchant, so I set up a stargate to the floating island:

Afterwards I built a temple to activate the teleporter. New to mechanics, though - what are the best traps for murdering other players? The lava pit is too obvious.

One pressure plate closes the door and douses the torches, the other is hooked up to skeleton spawner on a 1s timer. The lever activates the teleporter on a 5s timer, but also shuts you in and drops the floor.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 7, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

When it comes to multiplayer, man, this game would have been so much better with optional serverside characters and more intelligent worldgen (all biomes present and distinct at creation, no hardmode loving up everything)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

There any tricks to this nonsense? How'd Red Cloud pull it off? A different editing program?
TConfig - which allowed players to mod items, terrain, objects, and creatures.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Velveteen posted:

Teleporters are really fun.

Inspired by someone trying to make a death trap on this thread, I decided to rewire the ones on the server my friends and I are on into a death pit with lava and traps. With a switch beside the teleporter faking as a return switch but instead releases more jungle spiked ball traps onto you. If you don't have your mirror hotkeyed it can end very painfully! Then theres a switch at the other side of the wall a mystery switch where if you click it sets off the multiple dynamite bricks inside the walls. There were a lot of deaths. People trying to take a teleport and then getting melted by lava or getting pelted to death painfully by spiky balls. Then there was one person who clicked the switch. Curiosity killed the cat.
Pictures please. How does this work?

LAY-ZX posted:

I just put a teleporter at the bottom of a lake of lava next to a switch that will teleport you to another pad in the same lake of lava.
Is this possible? I thought the lava would eat the mechanics.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 8, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

It's a lot easier making hobbit-holes now.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Fewd posted:

I finally got my tree reworked into something that might theoretically not have every npc murdered during every hardmode event. Probably.

Looks good, nice touch on the guide :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

King Dead posted:

Is there a way to get Living Wood Walls, or whatever the walls inside the giant trees/roots are called? I don't mind using an editor/cheat program to make it.
Wall #78 in TEdit3. Currently unnamed.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Bible Challenger posted:

Now I'm running out of room to expand ><
This is becoming nicely detailed, but you made it way too small.

Better to plan stupidly oversized rooms, go big or go home :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

LAY-ZX posted:

The inner 16% of the world, centered on your spawn point, can't have meteors land on it. Honestly, worlds are large enough that even if you build something outside of that area the chance that a meteor will actually hit it is almost nonexistent.

e: They also won't spawn anywhere near NPC's OR chests, so if you put an NPC or a chest in that structure it won't get hit.
Before

After

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

- People playing on small screens should no longer auto equip an item from a chest or pick it up
Thank god, this was really loving annoying

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Jackard posted:

"- People playing on small screens should no longer auto equip an item from a chest or pick it up"

Thank god, this was really loving annoying
Whoops, turns out this was never actually fixed! I'm still automatically picking up poo poo from chests whenever I open them. :downs:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Is the "I'm a newbie, what do :saddowns:" pretty much the same post-patch as it was pre-patch, i.e. Just Start Digging? I haven't played this in at least half a year.
First get wood gear and look for chests in surface caves, the wallclimbing accessory is a common lowbie reward that makes spelunking easier.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 12, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I wish he had added more mechanic statues in addition to the banners.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Bible Challenger posted:

Hm, re: the building on the right. Think it looks right? I was going for bushes in the foreground and the face of the building behind it but i dunno if I pulled it off.
Use activators on leaf tiles to deactivate them and get two "backgrounds" at once. The hammer makes it even better. You can remove the activators afterwards without damaging your build.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 14, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

You can buy activators from the Mechanic and connect them to a trigger with wires.

They make any tile function like an (in)active stone block.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

The Mimic posted:

Running wire from the surface to space is one of the most uncomfortable things you can do in Terraria, I'm sure.
Wires can be placed in midair, so this isn't that bad if you have accessories for flight and knockback immunity; did it myself just earlier today.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 15, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I can't stop making these Metroid doors.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Other then no base defences my biggest disappointment with this patch is spiders.
My only disappointment with spiders is they fail to spawn on the surface. I copypasted one of their caves into my forest, but nothing shows up there.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

Well, that was interesting. Just used TerrariViewer to muck with my inventory and buffs a bit(boss summon items and battle potion for 2+ hours), and something glitched somewhere. My ammo turned into about a billion Amber, and my money into random crap. Don't think I'll ever need to hack money in again, though, the Amber sold forlike 3000 plat, all told.
I had TV glitch out on me when I tried changing stuff in the Equipment tab; since then I've stuck to the Inventory tab only.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I've seen only one of those. Is there something special about them?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Verviticus posted:

Mushroom biomes need to be a ways away or they will darken your little village and make it a pain in the rear end to do anything.

This game is way too dark sometimes and its frustrating.
Darkness is objectively the worst change from this update. This is how games should deal with day/night cycles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S34RrKQ_nug&t=158s

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

The lack/reduction of auto-swing weapons makes me wonder if Red seriously hates his players or just throws the effect on to gear on a loving whim. Make all weapons autoswing. Congratulations, people will now play the game and not rely heavily on pick/axe/hammer usage for fighting methods hat don't involve crippling yourself after hours of gameplay.
He could totally do this too, giving every weapon autoswing was the easiest change I made back in TConfig.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Where is this file located?
TConfig doesn't work anymore. I hear they were updating it for 1.2 to something called Terraria API?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Man, Actuators are the neatest loving thing. I love that I can make zombie-proof, supermarket-style doors with basically three actuators, two pressure plates, and whatever block looks good. I'm using them on every exterior door now.
Use frozen slime to make Metroid doors.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Verviticus posted:

What brick is above and below the frozen slime?
Yea, it's Silver Brick.

Also, Frozen Slime doesn't meld with other blocks like Slime does so you can do stuff like this:

1.2 melding is useful for natural tiles like snow and ice, but tends to look pretty ugly with bricks.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

Dualwielding and the ability to change the time at will are the two things that Red really needs to steal from the Red Cloud mod.
Was it basically this Tconfig mod? http://neverenoughmods.wikia.com/wiki/Mod:Mainslot-0

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Apparently there have been two patches since 1.2 was released but the OP was never updated?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I Said No posted:

I've been thinking, you ever heard about the Mindcrack Games that were run on Minecraft? The premise is essentially the hunger games; all characters start at random places on the map in hardcore and PVP character modes, and from then on the last one standing wins. I've been wondering if that kind of thing could work in Terraria; just schedule a time then have the goons duke it out on a server. It could be cool!
You might get something like this working with TShock, but I doubt it. Certainly not with Terraria on its own.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Those new forums have a nice layout on mobile

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I used to help run a server doing something similar. Tshock can be a little fiddly but it's just making up for Terraria's godawful multiplayer support. Good luck with the server!

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 28, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

PeePot posted:

I wish TEdit could copy/paste just the buildings.
Copypaste the area you want into the sky, erase the elements you don't need, turn copy that or turn it into a schematic.

I have a bunch of building schematics from doing this but they are all pre-slope and look really ugly in modern Terraria

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Geomancing posted:

One of my guiding principles of building a house is 'don't make it symmetrical'.
Mine is "make it so you can run straight through"

So I'll build a street or something where you speedrun through single/double story houses. No hotels or apartments.

No towers unless its single shaft and flight is unlocked, to speed through them vertically.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

Does anyone have some good ideas for making a hellevator more interesting?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-f-uS2KxgQ

• Locked thread