Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Stealthed Zombie posted:

I traded my normal Scatterbug and got a Pikachu. I traded another Pikachu (I had two) and got a DIFFERENT Pikachu (JAPANESE NAME) and then I traded the Pikachu with the lowest stats and got some weird poison blob thing.

This game loving rules.

You motherfucker, did you get a Goomy already!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

So I threw Wingull up onto the Wonder Trade and get a level 58 Haunter.

:allears: Wonder Trade is the best.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Wow, this game wastes no time sending out the evolved wilds.
Hariyama before the third gym!

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Jesus christ, Doublade is insanely good.

Also Malamar is pretty awesome, even if mine isn't Contrary. He's kicking things apart! I love this guy.

And Sylveon. Jesus christ, Sylveon.

These new pokemon are the best you guys.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

Sylveon I benched because I felt it was just a bit *too* good, thanks to maxing out the Pokemon-amie just to get it gives it all those dumb bonuses, and then moon blast pretty much 1 shotting everything I fight.

Mine's traded so it levels like a loving champion (I got it this afternoon at level 1, it evolved into Sylveon at 9, and now it's level 39 with Moonblast), but it only has 2 hearts of Affection so it doesn't gain any bonuses. It's just legitimately loving powerful.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh I'm sorry. Must've missed the part where the people in previous games were grieving over tiny war coffins. My bad!

Yeah, there's literally never been a main villain in a pokemon game who wanted anything overly dark.
Like, say, destroying an entire universe so he can reshape it in his image.

And the series has always had light-hearted villains, like the genetic experiment that went nuts and murdered everyone involved in his creation before flying off, and was described as incredibly violent!

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

So when was the last Pokemon game where an entire town got wiped off the map. I forget. Curse my horrible memory!

Second generation with Cinnabar :v:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Zackcat posted:

and they both pale in comparison to Lady Gardevior, master of the fairies. :colbert:

I'm sorry but Lady Whodevoir oh you mean Sylveon the best Fairy-type ever? Because she don't need no stinkin' Mega Evolution.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

Must've been nice for Nintendo to give away Gameboys, Link Cables, and DS consoles for "free" transferring.

Seriously, :getout: if you're complaining about $5 a year

It's 42 loving cents a MONTH. I don't see why people are complaining so loudly about it.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Keiya posted:

And yet EA's project ten dollar stuff had people ranting and raving. It's only ten bucks ever!!!

Seriously, I get having to pay for online storage, but forcing you to use the online storage for transferring is bullshit.

(Also it's called borrowing a sibling or friend's)

Uh because it's EA who has a habit of nickel and diming you to death vs Nintendo who has a habit of at least having the guts to give you actual content and waiting a few years when it re-releases an old game?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Holy poo poo, Delphox is pretty amazing! It can take a Surf from Greninja and Starmie and barely survive each time, dish out enough damage to at least 2HKO several Pokemon and is faster than a loving Garchomp. :allears:

Meanwhile, Chesnaught mimics your avatar.
Oh, you hit me?
Here.
Let me just
END.
YOUR.
poo poo.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

I dunno if I'm just lucky, still fighting the lower ranks, or my team is really good, but Pokemon Showdown may have just given me a pretty good team for online battles!

PeterSparker (Galvantula) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Sticky Web
- Hidden Power [Fire]
My lead with guaranteed Sticky Web. He held his own against Tyranitar, no less, and survived a whole match with 1 HP remaining due to his speed, Thunder, and just generally being a pain.

FPSDoug (Clawitzer) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 12 Spd
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Aura Sphere
A Special sweeper. I haven't seen TOO much action from him, but he took out Gengar and Charizard pretty effectively.

Genwun (Charizard) (F) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
Her first match, she managed to rip through Mega-Kazam, Tyrantrum (with an unlucky Dragon Tail miss), Aegislash, and ALMOST Greninja. I'd say 3 and a half for one physical sweeper is a great trade off. Welcome to OU, Charizard.

Pinky (Crobat) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
My spinner and taunter. Completely walled a Blissey who could only Flamethrower. Brave Bird killed it, but it took out Blissey which crippled his teams status.

Ironprick (Ferrothorn)
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
One of the few OU pokemon from gen 5 that I loved after using him in battle. I didn't like him at first, but his amazing bulk and not-insignificant ability to hit things pretty hard is amazing.

Fatty DingDong (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
My cleric. She did her job admirably. Badly poisoned a Gyarados, healed Pinky's burn, walled the opposing Blissey as it Flamethrower'd ineffectively...beautifully done!
Backup is Sylveon, since I dunno if Blissey is available yet. But when she is...dayumn.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

McDragon posted:

That Galvantula name rules.

It just came to me when I was going to give it the still punny normal name and I am so proud of it.

And he's also a hell of an opener.

Charizard X is a mean opener, too.
"Hmm. I'll set up rocks so Charizard can't get out!"
"SURPRISE, MOTHERFUCKER."

:allears: Pokemon is the best you guys.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What? I have no idea how I've gone through six generations of Pokemon games and spinoffs thinking that Electric resists Grass. I had a Gogoat and everything, never bothered to try. Thanks for that revelation.

Also I had no idea Mold Breaker worked that way. Gonna have to take that into consideration and find a good mold breaker, because man do I hate Levitate.

EDIT: Also maybe a team of four Physical Sweepers isn't a great idea. Just got demolished by a Klefki with TWave, Swagger, and Foul Play.

Other way around. Grass resists Electric.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Why are people on Pokemon Showdown so bitter?
me - "Charizard X is beastly!" (I've seen him nearly sweep a team. If not for snow warning causing Hale, he WOULD'VE swept the team)
him - "Only cuz of crit"
Dude.
It was a Talonflame.
Dragon Dance Charizard X wouldn't have had a problem.

Sidenote holy poo poo Charizard X is so good you guys. Especially as an opener.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just to clear it up, I spent a LOT of time doofing around at the Battle Chateau. I didn't seriously expect anything to happen but sometimes RPGs do fun stuff if you beat an unbeatable boss.

Lufia 2 gave you the Gades Blade if you beat Gades. He makes some comment about your strength being impressive, but not quite enough.

Gades Blade had a special power that let you do 8 attacks at half damage (so 4x normal damage) and ridiculous physical attack power. God, I miss that game...

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Wait, if you use Destiny Knot and a Power item on the parents, aren't you guaranteed the perfect IVs?

Ninja Edit: Or at least, the IVs you wanted (so Mom with perfect Sp.Atk, Sp.Def, Speed, HP, and Defense and Destiny Knot; dad with Attack but not HP) and power item means you've only got to roll the dice on whether they get dads relatively unimpressive stats or moms perfect stats.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Crosscontaminant posted:

No, the Destiny Knot increases the number of IVs passed down by both parents from 3 to 5, it doesn't guarantee which IVs will be passed down or which parent they're passed down from.

I had a heck of a time phrasing it, but this is what I meant.
You can essentially guarantee the offspring with the breeding stock. A lovely Speed with 31s everywhere else is ignored with that Power item on the 31 IV Speed, correct?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

Nope!

Destiny knot makes you inherit five IVs. Power items guarantee that one of the five (or three w/o a knot) will be the indicated stat. So in your case, the child would have perfect attack, four of the other stats randomly from one parent or the other, and one stat generated randomly.

I think that this is even more asinine than last gen ("it's basically loving random forever!")

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Star Guarded posted:

Someone just wonder traded me a Miltank named Jiggles.

I'm done.

I feel like I've seen this post before.

Hmmm

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

The Mattybee posted:

Yeah, it's a good thing single moves (Cloyster) or Dream World abilities (Espeon) have never made Pokémon really good in competitive play or anything.

Wait, poo poo.

There's also Scizor who, until Bullet Punch, was effectively useless because he offered a gimmicky Technician build and a huge Fire weakness.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Magneton and Electabuzz were the best, you just clearly have bad taste in Electric-types :colbert:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

HeyItsAyls posted:

So are people online usually this careless?

8RLG-WWWW-WWW2-MS8M

After OHKOing his Garchomp with my Frosslass, which only has 1hp thanks to its Focus Sash, he sends out Mewtwo. He then proceeds to use Aura Sphere, which doesn't work, giving me a free Shadow Ball. Then I send out my Noivern, so he decides to Mega Evolve. Into Mega Mewtwo X! Thanks for making my Hurricane attack super effective I guess?

Feels good to beat an OU/Uber team with some random misfits though.

My Ludicolo had a reputation as a legend-killer thanks to Coliseum. He, Hitmonchan, and Houndoom were my surprisingly effective misfit squad.

It was a sweeper variant, too. Not the usual stall/rain dish.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

The Leper Colon V posted:

If you're really nasty/gambling, you then use that locked down foe to set up some Calm Mind or Nasty Plot boosts. Only leaves one attack move, though, which obviously causes problems with coverage.

Yeah, Scrappy Exploud is a superhero. ESPECIALLY with Specs.

Crobat is a loving monster with Infiltrator. I can't count the number of times he's blown away a Mega Gengar hiding behind a sub.

Why I didn't get Thunderbolted out of the sky I can't tell you but poo poo I ain't complaining.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

So. Showdown time?
Shortest battle log ever.
"Opponent sent out Manectric.
Go, IronPrick (Excadrill)
Mancectric Mega-Evolved!
Excadrill's attack fell!
Excadrill used Earthquake!
Mega Manectric fainted!
Opponent forfeits."

:psyduck: If Mega Manectric is that clutch maybe you shouldn't keep him in versus Excadrill?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

^^^^
I have literally the same experience with Mega Charizard X. One Dragon Dance and it's all over.
"I know the guy who'll carry you" *forfeit*
You mean Blissey, Ferrothorn, or Crobat aren't doing anything at all?

Emong posted:

Maybe he thought the attack drop would let him live? I'm not sure what he was expecting to do from there, though.

That's what baffles me, too! It's not like he could do anything even if he hung on with a few HP left.

Okay so when I sent out Ferrothorn and set up rocks, do you just forfeit because Manectric won't survive?

Ah well. Showdown is still fun even when I lose :allears:

Well. Usually. When my opponent sits around buffing/debuffing/healing when I have one pokemon left and he can easily oneshot it, that's when I stop having fun. Don't be a lovely winner. You know drat well that Aegislash' Sacred Sword will finish Blissey.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Ruggington posted:

Manectric gets flamethrower and overheat though?

Well poo poo, I dodged that bullet then!

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

This was on Showdown, though, so even Modest Manectric will outspeed all non-Scarfed Excadrill outside of sand and OHKO with Overheat. They probably just weren't expecting a Scarf.

Oh don't worry, everyone above 2000 or so is already running physically defensive Rotom-W on every team just to deal with all the Talonflame, Tyranitar, Physical Aegislash and Sand Rush Excadrill out there right now. Rotom-W is probably the best defensive pokemon in the current metagame.

It wasn't Scarfed, though! I have literally no idea how he didn't outspeed me.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Also Ludicolo is the best grass type.

Liligant is close second.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Trick-or-Treat adds Ghost to a pokemon so dual-typed pokemon become triple-typed.

I thought it was like Soak, Protean, and every other type changer, i.e Water/Ice becomes, simply, Ghost. Regardless of secondary typing./

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Emong posted:

Nope, just adds the type. It's interesting.

So it's possible for stuff to have x6 weaknesses?
That is...odd, but neat.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Emong posted:

Nope, just adds the type. It's interesting.

So it's possible for stuff to have x6 weaknesses?
That is...odd, but neat.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

What is with the huge amount of sore winners on Showdown? Granted, these are probably the same people who'll throw a fit and disconnect when their lead pokemon faints in one poo poo, but still. Just take the loving win. You have me asleep, type advantage, can KO me guaranteed in two hits if not luck out and do it in one. But, nah, let's buff up because nothing you do really hurts me!

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Stalgren posted:

What's so :stare: about that?

He broke up with Jésus like 2 years ago, dude just won't stop stalking him.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Friendly Factory posted:

Religious people are kuh-razy dog. I've got a pamphlet written by our Lord and Saviour Richard Dawkins for you to read.

Look let's be honest.
Anyone who puts "Jesus loves you" is as big of a weirdo as someone who sends you a Manky with "Religion is for sheeple".

No one loving cares what you do or do not believe is a good rule of thumb.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Friendly Factory posted:

Well of course. But I'm not religious and I don't flip out if someone says "God bless you" to me or something. I'm sure Mr. North Carolina thought he was just being nice.

Clearly not enough if it wasn't a Shiny or Hidden Ability starter :smugbert:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Emalde posted:

Why would anybody find this offensive? If they have a single gimmick for their team and built their team so poorly as to not have any sort of Plan B should it fail, it's less annoying for them to forfeit when it doesn't work than them wasting another 2 minutes of our lives making a futile attempt with the rest of their cobbled-together team.

It is still kind of annoying when they don't get Sticky Web or Speed Boost off and then just quit because they can't pass 3x attack and 2x speed to Aegislash.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Fallord posted:

Only if it's the first hit of outrage, or the second if it was going to be 3 turns. Otherwise the confusion still kicks in.

At least on Showdown, it just goes right through the whole thing and won't cancel.

EDIT: The best new thing of gen 6 OU on Showdown is getting to explain why Bug Buzz KO'd their substitute Espeon :allears:

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 18, 2013

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

cancerianmoth posted:

doesn't bug buzz count as a sound move?

It does and works wonderfully. It's just so fun watching someone toss out Espeon, assuming Substitute and Magic Bounce mean my whole setup is screwed, then getting 1 shot anyway.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Showderp is best when poo poo like this happens.
Screw all the trolling and poo poo. I wanna see more Metronome boosting the gently caress out of a Togekiss and then sweeping teams. Or Hot Monkey Dik sweep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Zahki posted:

Why would you run Specs Gengar over Mega Gengar though? I guess if you wanted to have another mega on your team? But as far as Mega Evolutions go Mega Gengar is sitting on top of the pile, I can't imagine you'd want to use anything else ahead of it.

I use a Disable Gengar, personally.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-66406282
Because there's not much like making a Lucario go from confidently Crunching to running away because he can't hurt Gengar.

• Locked thread