Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SpeedRazor posted:

Anyone setting up a new server for this update? I miss the old skyrail dong planet.

the thread is the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Starbound: If you don't like the Winter Update, Alpaca my bags and leave!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game still has more content then Terraria and Minecraft, so it's got that going for it.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
Starbound: Huh.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

This game still has more content then Terraria and Minecraft, so it's got that going for it.

yeah how many different colored dirt does minecraft have

heh

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

no, yes

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Starbound: I was just posting updates and stuff but yeah,

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Musluk posted:

lmao

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SpeedRazor posted:

Anyone setting up a new server for this update? I miss the old skyrail connected dong planet.

37th Chamber posted one, but I have no idea if it's his server or just a random IP he scraped off twitter or something. It was up last night and people were playing until it crashed.

37th Chamber posted:

64 slot server if the game ever works. RIP starbound.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Starbound: Winter update is out, frozen dicks and frozen hearts

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Musluk posted:

:pusheen:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Starbound: Supernorn please come back, I'm sorry

Starbound: Post here for a free avatar

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I was serious about mods though, are they organized by version?

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Starbound: Post here for a free avatar

hahaha this

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

seriouspost

you might wait for tiy&co to unfuck their poo poo before adding mods

just give it a few days, you've already given it 9 months.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
haha my av

its awesome, than you friend

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Smoremaster posted:

Starbound: I was just posting updates and stuff but yeah,

This is the one. We must at least preserve this.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Nah, at best you can just hope that mod authors remember to put the game version in their thread title

pwnyXpress posted:

it's going in the OP for sure, I have the original quote

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

pwnyXpress posted:

I don't get it, but I was also not following this thread / game for about 8 months.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Put this in the Op too Babe Magnet, pretty please

It is a monument to the old thread

I have no cool titles to give :(

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Is there a way to start on a different planet when you create a new character in single player?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

Nah, at best you can just hope that mod authors remember to put the game version in their thread title

Best bet is probably to take a look at official forums & reddit for recent threads about mods. Everyone knows mod authors are huge peacocks, they'll make sure to let everyone in the world know when they make an update. You may also be able to sort mods in the official site by date updated? That should help if possible.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Supernorn posted:

Hey! I work for Chucklefish. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be too helpful regarding starbound stuff as I'm an artist on the new team (making the pirate game) but we all share the same space.

Edit: in regards to some of the earlier posts. Most of the starbound team has been dealing with the stress of moving to another country (and for some, the other side of the world), waiting impatiently for news on visas, and trying to find accommodation before they arrived. After what seems like an eternity of dealing with beuracracy, radio silence and red tape, everyone is here now, and as of Friday everyone is set up with a computer and a workstation. Things will pick up development wise, work is going to pick up much faster now.

Supernorn posted:

I would love for the Starbound community to have a serious week of Something Awful zero-tolerance banhammer rules to weed out the toxic people that appear to poo poo up every single news thread. I feel that it's not so much that the community is bad, it's just the vocal minority make everyone else not want to participate.

Supernorn posted:

I want to make this my avatar on the Starbound forums.

Supernorn posted:

It really takes zero effort to look at the website and see the daily news updates. That would be the first thing I'd do if I wanted to check up on a game in development, but maybe that's just me expecting too much out of people. There's only so much we can do.

Supernorn posted:

Not too concerned with those reviews honestly, there'll be plenty of reviews from people without a hate-boner for the company. The top review spirals endlessly into an insane conspiracy theory laden rant about getting banned from the steam forums. It's quite good.

Supernorn posted:

We're working on it. I think a lot of the actual complaints (i.e not endless, eternal whining about nothing) about the game are shared, we just haven't got around to fixing everything yet. When it hits, the next stable build should be night and day to the current one.

Supernorn posted:

Its been ten months, but it's amusing that it seems to inflate by a year in people's perception every month or so.

Supernorn posted:

I mean, a normal person could literally see the progress on the website and test it themselves every day if they didn't believe it was happening. But on the other hand, it's way less effort to insult the developers and angrily poo poo post in the thread.

So obviously, you can see the conundrum here.

Supernorn posted:

I was posting updates and stuff, but yeah. Honestly, it takes like three seconds to type playstarbound.com into your internet browser, but even easier to endlessly post every day for months about a game you're trying to fool people into believing you're not interested in.

Supernorn posted:

Glad you're all having fun!

Supernorn posted:

So what you're saying is that I answered people's questions? It's true i'm the jerk. Lighten up, guy! Have an Alpaca:

Supernorn posted:

You guys don't like Alpacas I guess. Huh.

Supernorn posted:

The fact is, with a few exceptions you sucked any fun out of me posting here. I wasn't required to. I'm a goon that just happens to be contributing to a game that I enjoy working on. You can't really expect me to take this thread seriously when you guys are just showing utter contempt towards me, the game or any reasonable means towards a discussion. So I'm going to peace out and you guys can continue doing whatever it is you think this is. Merry Christmas!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm going to have a mod section for cool and good (and goon) mods, the new thread will be up by the end of the day most likely

it might be kind of sparse since we don't have a ton of images from the new version yet and mods aren't updated yet but we'll slowly fill it in

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm going to have a mod section for cool and good (and goon) mods, the new thread will be up by the end of the day most likely

it might be kind of sparse since we don't have a ton of images from the new version yet and mods aren't updated yet but we'll slowly fill it in

The updates to the new thread's OP is coming thick and fast, at least.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
that aint the only thing coming thick and fast :mrgw:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i got my av back, a starbound thread success story

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/skip-tutorial.2463/

I'm looking up mods and this one lets you skip to after getting the core fragments in case you want to do that.

Also a few other things that should work for the new stable in case you want to do that too
Mounts
Craft furniture and racial blocks/furniture
More decorative blocks (mostly from ores)
Ore-yielding farmable plants
Crew mod for populating ship and neat features
More bodyparts for random monster pools
Bandit masks and neckerchiefs for your fashion needs
Bees, in case you're loving stupid and liked Forestry for Minecraft
Healing potions as upgrades to bandages
Inter-chest auto-sorter for quick easy storage and ender-chest-like capabilities
New pets and monsters
Random systems that support all biomes/planet types
lol what about a mod that makes the game worth playing haha it's a joke link ;)
Most of these were made for the unstable versions of the update so I can't guarantee they'll all be fully compatible, but these links will still take you to the right place once they do update (if necessary)

You guys don't like mounts I guess, huh

e: I don't know if sugarcane is still broken but if it is, this should fix it.

Ore glows
Ore is labeled for easy recognition
Foods have better description of their effects

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 29, 2015

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

modders added more to starbound in 24 hours than chucklefish did in a year

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Awesome post. Sugarcane isn't "broken", per se, it's just that the item it drops is sugar which I guess isn't edible on its own, unlike most crops. This seems to give you an item that you can actually eat, or craft into sugar for baking/etc. Which is a good idea, it's dumb that you break a sugarcane and it turns into refined white sugar.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kly posted:

These weren't done in 24 hours.
Modding is absolutely Starbound's best hope though, even if for some reason you're in love with the game how it is now, modders are amazing.

The one thing in this game I can't really be mad at is how easy and expansive the modding is, even moreso now that they've added item scripting and stuff.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Kly posted:

Well, when you have 20,000+ modders against CFs 3 coders, i would drat well hope the modders can come up with more content combined. Otherwise that would be just sad. Or this would be Terraria. So yeah, it would just be sad.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

half the content in the vanilla game was made by modders anyway

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

These weren't done in 24 hours.
Modding is absolutely Starbound's best hope though, even if for some reason you're in love with the game how it is now, modders are amazing.

The one thing in this game I can't really be mad at is how easy and expansive the modding is, even moreso now that they've added item scripting and stuff.

I need people to test out my new cave mod, wait a second I have a video.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
Doing the moon mission a billion times, because I pressed the wrong button at the part, where the hammer dude first appears sure is fun.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Turtlicious posted:

I need people to test out my new cave mod, wait a second I have a video.
I made a few mods when this came out, mostly decorative block crafting and turning plant matter into fuel (not as necessary now, obviously). Is worldgen easy to toy with?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Seriously it took like a half an hour for me to get the game to successfully launch last night and even after that it hung forever the first time a dialog or inventory window popped up. My computer is pretty old these days but it ran Crysis at stupidly high settings, what the gently caress is wrong with Chucklefish's programmers?

Is the regular or OpenGL version generally more stable? I was switching off but I think it was the OpenGL one that finally worked to the point where it was mostly playable.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I hope the butthurt avatar is secretly being bought by Tiy. Then the circle is complete! And apparently my shitposting efforts have been insufficient to warrant my own avatar, need to step up my game and learn from the pros in this thread.

The fact is, with a few exceptions you sucked any fun out of me making GBS threads here. I wasn't required to. I'm a goon that just happens to be contributing to a thread that I enjoy making GBS threads in. You can't really expect me to take this poo poo seriously when you shits are just making GBS threads utter poo poo towards me, the lovely game or any lovely shits towards a poo poo. So I'm going to poo poo out and you shits can continue making GBS threads. lovely Shitsmas!

Oh wait there was an update so I guess a year of thick and fast silence was worth it. I hope some good mods come out now at least...

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

sword_man.gif posted:

that aint the only thing coming thick and fast :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

• Locked thread