Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Makaris posted:

I have fortifications overlooking the entrance of my base, but when I station my units on the inside near them they don't shoot out from it. I thought to put the station marker right flush with the wall, but then some of my units go outside, which isn't the point.

Easiest way to fudge your way around this is to build a wall directly within your fortifications, like so:

code:
+++++++++ <fort
—D——————— <wall w/ door
+++++++++ <blood-soaked floor
FFFFFFFFF <fortifications
......... <hail of bolts

This way, they have nowhere to stand except directly against the fortification, and you don't have to worry about that poo poo. Also, if you're using 10-dwarf squads, they'll be super imprecise in where they station, whereas squads of 2 or 3 will be able to cluster exactly where you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Considering downloading this again and surrendering myself to Armok, but on two conditions:

1. Do military dwarves still spiral down into unending depression because they're unable to truly go off duty?
2. Do migrants still start arriving in unmanageable globs of 20+ after the first few seasons?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

VerdantSquire posted:

The old thought system has been completely revamped into one based on emotion and stress instead, and from my own experience it made it so the first point doesn't happen anymore. I'm afraid to say that the second point is still a painful reality, though.

Well, that's good enough for me. Time to reinstitute a seniority-based caste system :getin:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

StrangeAeon posted:

I'd like to set up a fort near a tower sometime and actually try to deal with invasions, but the undead are so overpowered it doesn't ever seem worth the effort.

I really wish that undead just fell apart into constituent body parts when killed, and that those body parts became harmless-but-gross spatter, like *writhing pulp* or something, when they were killed. Wonder if that sort of thing would be possible to mod in.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gibbo posted:

I don't see a problem with anything you listed.

Also, there's no reason to hotkey every possible metal, because in most scenarios, you'll only have 2-3 to work with? So on that fort you'll just remember the number of times you need to quickly tap - to scroll down to the right metal.

He's saying that the hotkeys for selecting materials are not the same across different objects -- it would make sense for "Build glass _____" to always be, say, G, while stone would be S and wood would be W, as opposed to having a different hotkey for various objects.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gibbo posted:

I get what he's saying, but things don't always work out that way. Should just be happy there are hotkeys for anything.

"Listen, I know it doesn't make sense that 'shoot' and 'throw grenade' are switched in level 3, but things don't always work out that way. Should just be happy you can use your mouse at all."

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

hey df thread, it's time for my semi-annual question:
are armies still busted so that you cannot prevent your dwarves from becoming suicidally depressed while in the service?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

scamtank posted:

DFHack got that bug all the way in 2012, first through a binary patch and then with tweak patrol-duty, but Toady himself marked that one as fixed for v0.40.05. Probably thanks to Quietust's binary digging.

excellent

Moridin920 posted:

Attack speed and movement speed are seperate things, things can walk/run/sprint, things can jump and climb. Your 1 z tile wide and tall walls won't cut it anymore. Gobbos can and will jump over pits, climb trees and jump over your walls, etc.

Shooting bolts is calculated correctly (more correctly?). Dwarves have emotions; a scrub just drafted into the military will probably run the hell away from a forgotten beast at the first sign of trouble.

EXCELLENT

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Cheers! Didn't know about the quicksave feature.

Man, i swear every time i've played this game the last two years i've had fortresses that have ample supplies of copper and VAST VAAAAAAAST amounts of gold and silver, but not a single drop of iron. Same with this fort, checked with DFhack and "reveal" to make sure. I just wanna make good weapons and armor :negative:
How viable is it to trade gold items for iron to make steel with? Will the traders bring a lot of i max out my demand for iron? What should i turn the gold into to trade for?

if you don't care about balance and want to hack it, you can go into the raws and cause magnetite to spawn in more / all layer types, and could make more / all stone types count as flux stone. this will only affect worlds you generate after, not any that already exist.

e: or, just trade all that gold for iron / pig iron / limestone like a good captain of industry would, & arm everybody with obsidian swords

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 7, 2015

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Psawhn posted:

Well, speaking of reddit and randomly generated social media, I had just found this today:
http://www.reddit.com/user/dwarffortress_SS
Markov-chain generated dwarf fortress comments! I'm having a hard time not quoting a full 50% of them.

quote:

-My question is, can someone help explain why this is basically the best sub. The game does not, in fact, feature giant disembodied butts, if the severed piece sails off in an arc. EDIT: Everyone died, the mayor and went berserk.

listen up buddy, if there's no giant disembodied butt in your fortress, that's on YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For whatever reason when I play DF my dwarves tend to pick one particular, exceedingly minor detail to engrave on like...everything. I still can't help but laugh at a fort that kept dedicating engravings and statues to one particular time a giant broke an elf's molar.

On the wall is an engraving of Uristcat Cat. The craftwork is of exceptionally poor quality. Uristcat Cat is falling off of a *Diorite Table*.
On the floor is an engraving of Uristcat Cat. The craftwork is of exceptionally poor quality. Uristcat Cat is falling into a +Tower Cap chest+.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

abrosheen posted:

I'm still pretty new at this game, and I'm having a problem where certain dwarves seem to ignore civilian alerts. Mostly, it's children, but the occasional adult seems to do it too. Every other dwarf in the fort is piling down stairs, and one idiot/child wanders up and out to get slaughtered. Is this a bug, or am I causing this through ignorance?

It's possible you're accidentally removing their path to safety with your security measures (drawbridge or locked door or whatever), but dwarves are pretty dumb in general. You might be able to limit this sort of thing by setting burrows, so that dwarves don't go wandering off to do things like "take a gander at that goblin crossbowman" or "take a refreshing sip from Carp River." If you're already doing that you might want to constrict your burrows a little or expand your security measures.

markus_cz posted:

Well, Ultima Ratio Regum is kinda comparable in the sense that it's also a roguelike with crazy procedural generation and simulation of everything. The biggest difference is that doesn't have a fortress mode.

DF has another mode than fortress mode?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Anybody here play Maia? I backed it on Kickstarter and then couldn't get it to work on my computer (lol awesome) and I'm curious how it turned out. Also I never hear about it in DF-lite conversations, probably because it costs money, but hey something to be aware of.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Met posted:

My Dwarves aren't using barrels consistently in stockpiles. My seeds and meat are just getting put one item to a tile despite plenty of free barrels/bags. Why would this be?

Are your haulers separated from the barrels by a burrow or a locked door?
Do the stockpiles have "allow bin/barrel" toggled off?
Is another process claiming all of those barrels? (idk if this happens with workshops but definitely does with constructions)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Today I learned that goblin kings arrive as tame citizens, and thus can be assigned to a chain at the main entrance. This was handy since he could not be assigned to a room. It was extra handy when the local necromancer tower sent the first waves of undead.

Also looked through the legends to figure out what happened. At some point early in history generation a dragon killed the first dwarven king, and at that point a goblin gets appointed as a baron along with the other dwarven nobles who also needed replacing. The intermingling of species in mixed forts goes on for about a century until something really interesting happens: a goblin army led by a dwarf destroys a dwarven army led by a goblin, sacking the mountainhome and killing the dwarven king. At this point a peace treaty was signed and a goblin was elected king of the dwarves. :psydwarf:

Toady's often talked about DF as a story generator, right? Has anybody tried to novelize emergent DF lore outside of directly-game-related LPs?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

abrosheen posted:

I tried to be clever today and set up a craft workshop right next to a quantum stockpile for gold furniture, intending to encrust gold furniture with shells (this is the first time I've ever had abundant gold OR shell, so I'm running with it).

The first thing the carver does is pick up the minecart from the quantum stockpile track to decorate it, ignoring the gold furniture and temporarily breaking the stockpile. Then he finds a barrel somewhere. This game is trolling me

is your gold stuff set to forbidden / dump still from the quantuming process?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure dwarves, when they decide to do a job, look for things to, say, encrust with shells, close to where they are, rather than close to the workshop.

I wish they would do this with constructions, instead of it all being claimed as it's designated. Bugs me that I still have to haul all my construction materials *before* designating the construction, instead of being able to do both at once.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Life dreams? Material preferences and personality traits?

Do these affect the way a dwarf does its job? Like if my Masterwork Metalworker absolutely loves tin, will she go an extra mile to get a tin ingot instead of using up all the gold piled up around her?

(I know the answer to this is 'no' so consider this a suggestion/pipedream)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

TildeATH posted:

You fuckers deserve Dwarf Fortress.

And Bad Munki.

Aww, thank! You too :kimchi:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

siggy2021 posted:

The best part is those were two back to back legendary items, and the next one I got was a copper helmet with a picture of the ring engraved in it. I don't know if that's normal, it's been a while since I've played.

It's working out really well, because I'm planning on making a one-shot adventure for D&D based around a DF run, so having a bucket, a ring with the image of the bucket, and a helmet with the image of a ring is perfect for some kind of insane magic item puzzle.

The ~*bucket*~ has a picture of a copper =+helm+= engraved on it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

hooman posted:

BRB Writing a book about how all skeletons are really good dancers.

They don't necessarily have natural rhythm, but they make their own.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Designate the area to be channeled. The dwarves will dig from the top down and shouldn't cause cave ins often if at all if youre lucky

Nah, this will create hella cave-ins, especially if you're digging many levels. Designate one layer at a time and wait for the top layer to be completely finished before designating the next and you should be good, but don't try multiples at a time.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

necrotic posted:

Use increasing priorities as you go down. Layer-1 is h at the highest priority, Layer-2 is h at 2, etc... zero cave ins. I do it a lot.

Ahh, that's true. I keep forgetting priorities are a thing now!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

:qq:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

E:E: I have a mechanic making mechanisms, and rather than use the plentiful slate right beside him he is traveling to use gneiss, is slate unsuitable for making mechanisms? I can't see how given that I have made mudstone mechanisms without issue. I specified the orders via j > m > q, and just asked for "rock" mechanisms, so I can't see that it could ahve been a specific order somehow.

E:E:E: he isn't even taking the closest gneiss, he's wandering half way across the fort for it, the dumbass.

Do you have constructions that are claiming the slate/gneiss near him? I often run into this when I'm doing above-ground constructions, since those materials are claimed forever until the construction is cancelled or they finally get dragged up by my single beleaguered mason.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

I started a new site in the end, not having any metal was just getting too tedious. My new fort is on an island, which I believe means that the only threats I need to worry about are the really fun ones. If the entrance to my fort is only 1 wide, can the large creatures still get in to it? I know trade carts need at least 3x1 to be able to path, what about a titan or other such monstrosity?

Also, RE dealing with untrappable things, I know a cave in will kill anything, but as I understand it it might destroy the body and any equipment it might have, there by preventing me from eating, smelting or using its skull as a house, which would sadden me. If I instead casue the cave in underneath it and drop it into a big pit, will it then leave all its earthly remains intact? I know in the cave in I have caused dwarfs have died but never disappeared entirely.

The joy of the cave-in-beneath option is not dropping it far enough and having a crippled, furious Bronze Colossus roaring in the depths for all eternity.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

hailthefish posted:

The Dwarf Fortress wiki has an interesting comment about larger output chambers on magma pump stacks reducing the FPS impact, with links to lengthy discussions on the Bay12 forums. Worth a try, maybe?

Unless you need a neverending stream of magma, just design it so that you can turn the power off once your magma cistern or moat or smithy or whatever is full. It'll gently caress up your frame rate, yeah, but only once. It's only really bad if you're creating like a 10-level waterfall or something like that, that needs to run constantly.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

reignofevil posted:

Somebody once described the state of being able to see the vanilla graphics and have them actually look like what they are depicting as like Neo from the matrix.

"Those green periods are waving windswept grass blades. That L is a bleating llama; ready for shearing. That g is an OH-MY-GOD.... It's a Grouse. Whew. No Goblins."

But the key is that to really make the ascii graphics worthwhile; you need to be able to hit that k key and actually look at some of the things to be able to get good information. This is problematic while watching somebody else stream.

Yeah and when every dwarf looks alike, and everything overlaps... gah. I feel bad enough watching something like Blood Bowl and not being able to mouse over the players.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gibbo posted:

How does milkable translate on were creatures? Could you play as a were cow and milk yourself?

:stare:

I'm pretty sure that's a sort of ...activity Toady has intentionally avoided.x

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Do we know much about the grammar of dwarfish? Word order and antecedents and conjugations and so forth? I can't remember ever encountering it outside of naming.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I guess elf traders have access to divine materials for instrument crafting now. That's a neat bug.

IIRC he has explicitly said he's not planning on doing this.

I once created a fort with a "functioning sewer system". Every level of the fort actually being two levels is kind of a pain in the rear end. Needless to say it ended when floodgate confusion flooded all of the lower floors with sewage.

I feel like Today could fairly easily do this with "pipes" that work the same was as roads, or at least metal mine cart rails. Have a "spigot" piece that spews a small amount of water if it has water access, and automatically turns off after it spews 1 or 2 tiles of water. Do we know why this isn't planned? It's obviously not squeamishness or a lack of pedantry.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I wish I had the actual quote but it was something along the lines of sewage simulation being gross, unfun and unnecessary (Dwarf Fortress). What he really needs to make pipes for is making multi-z level pumps possible.

Yeah, I guess I had only thought of the before of getting water there, not the after of getting poop out. I can only imagine the resulting horror that accurate pooping would wreak on the overworld. Still, I feel like modeling excrement output and decay wouldn't be that bad compared to, say, modeling the process of burning to death, or having your gangrenous limb slowly destroy your entire body.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

Toady already implemented sewers underneath the towns, y'know. Cause where else are criminal gangs and weirdos going to hang out?

Are they full of empty wooden crates and rusted iron barrels full of dynamite?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Did pedestals ever make it into the main game or was that just a goonmod?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Are unpowered minecart tracks even worth setting up? I haven't touched minecarts at all since they seem really difficult to set up but maybe I'm missing out on huge benefit from a relatively easy job.

Perfectly fine for a down track, or moving ore / stone around on one z-level.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Are dwarves happier when they're wearing exquisitely-crafted large clear diamond-encrusted rings on every finger and toe?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Cat Planet posted:

Any newbie must reads for this? I've watched CaptainDuck's (I think he's a goon?) tutorial videos but I still find it hard to navigate myself in the 3d world of DF. Or will this come in time?

I'm a Roguelike vet but I've only played "DF lites" like Rimworld.

Not really a must-read so much as a tip, but keep this keybindings list printed out next to you or up on a second screen or something the first few times you play. One of the hardest things about starting this game is remembering not just the controls, but what you can even do in the first place.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Trundel posted:

Hmm, so since my starting seven are still engaged in the forever-fight with the skull I can't get to any of my old weapon production sites. If I take them off of the militia they panic any time they get near the main stairssince they ca see the skull flopping around between the war dogs. If the only way to get rid of this thing is by blunt damage is my best bet to make some wooden crossbows or some wooden training weapons on the surface?

Every attack on the skull either damage a tendon or glances away.

You might be able to force them to run away through manipulating barrows or meeting points. If you set a barrow on the surface well away from the skull, assign them all to it, and undraft them, they'll probably panic at sight of the skull, run up and away, and then to the barrow, where you can reassign them to doing something else far from the skull. Might be able to do the same thing with a meeting point if you disable all of their labors and make sure it's the only meeting point.

VVV part of the issue is that all of his dwarves are tied up with it so any fancy dwarven engineering options are out of the question until they escape it VVV

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 21, 2015

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Sankis posted:

It'd help if there was a "forbid everything and everywhere in the caverns unless I explicitly say otherwise" option..

You can probably do this with burrows, but... then you're dealing with burrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I don't think I've ever built a fort that wasn't essentially a 20x20x20 cube with stairs every 10. Once you get used to it, it's a lot easier to have "bedroom floors 1-5" and "the food stockpile floor" etc. instead of big wings.