Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sunswipe posted:

One day, someone will be able to figure out if Cobra was an action movie or a satire of action movies. This is not that day. :(

I remember Roger Ebert reviewing Cobra and saying, "this movie has Stallone's best scene in bed." Cut to...clip of Sly in the back of a pickup truck firing a sub machine gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

value-brand cereal posted:

I also watched The Curse of Sleeping Beauty [2016] and I gotta ask: why is she, the person from the area the Bible is canonically located, white?
She's a relative of Jesus Christ, of course

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

christmas boots posted:

Looking forward to the storyline where Reed Richards builds some kind of Gamma LASIK

Sadly, I don't think it would work given Hulk's powers of regeneration

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MNIMWA posted:

This is also a bit weird - Anakin/Vader can't sense that there are two fetuses?? No visit to get space-ultrasound with a space-nurse and talk about space pre-natal care where they would go, oh hey, it's twins?

The medical droid said she died of a broken heart so maybe we're not dealing with the very best in medical technology here

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jedit posted:

Dooku is Darth Tyrannus.

And aren't all Darths Sith Lords? (I'm assuming that's your point.)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The lowest point of the Ultimates, at least the lowest that I saw before I gave up even browsing the trades at the bookstore, was later, when the Blob was shown visibly cannibalistically eating from Wasp's torso and saying, "tastes like chicken."

Blob may be a slob but he certainly doesn't talk with his mouth full!

(Also, another data point in the Ultimates going further downhill after Loeb took over, though this probably wasn't his fault directly -- IIRC, Wasp was Asian-American at the beginning of the Ultimates, and then at the start of Ultimates Vol. 3 or whenever it was she magically becomes Caucasian without of course any reason or mention given.)

I did like a couple of the ideas in Ultimates, like Iron Man needing a support team on the ground to help run the armor and requiring help to get suited up in it, which explains why you need a guy like Falcon sometimes -- he's not so high-maintenance. But it was a sprinkling of good ideas into a sea of bad execution. (And gave us that gag in Nextwave with Elsa Bloodstone: Do you think this [EU symbol on my chest] stands for America?)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The stinger with Banner trying to analyse the rings drove me up the wall. "They're not vibranium....Chitauri?"

Nothing vibranian or chitauri resembles these rings in any way. They've just put them in the script because they have name recognition, but it makes Banner look like a complete idiot who is just listing the first two weird tech things that come to mind.

Because Banner only knows about one single scientific curiosity in the universe, and if he said, "I don't think they're emitting gamma radiation," everyone would have gotten one step closer to realizing he's a complete academic fraud who's skated by on one experiment that was technically a failure.

poo poo, I bet Cap didn't mean to go back and live his best life at the end of Endgame, it was Banner pressing the wrong buttons while trying to act as though he knew what he was doing with the time machine. At least Ant-man had seen it work before, let him do it!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ok, I just bitched about this in one of the The Batman threads, but Gotham cops are incompetent. Everyone in Gotham who cares must know where the Bat-signal is kept, even though it's not on Police HQ. The open-topped tour buses probably started driving past the building like a week after it started shining.

Once they put out the APB on the Batman, why don't they put a sniper in a tower overlooking the construction site with the Bat-signal? Arrest Gordon when they find him waiting around a lit Bat-signal for his caped friend to show up? The accessibility of the Bat-signal's even a plot point later in the movie when another character turns it on to summon Batman!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Push El Burrito posted:

Any movie needs to reproduce this

Or this

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Still haunted by the most hilarious/blackest comedy Twisted Toyfair Theatre sequence ever: Flashback to the 70s, it's a disco party. Climax of the scene is Xavier comes in and wows everyone with his awesome moves and luxurious curly mane. "The Chuckster cares about two things in life -- dancing and my hair." Recounting the present day punchline would require a content warning but I couldn't stop laughing for minutes.

When TTT went dark it was really dark (Sandman on the beach, anyone?) but they got away with it because they usually had the deeply guilty belly laughs to go along with it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Neito posted:

Did TTT eventually become related to Robot Chicken somehow, or am I just conflating two unrelated things? I feel like TTT somehow loops back into this.

I always thought the same thing so I decided to Google it. From the wiki on TTT:

quote:

The television show Robot Chicken, which features animated action figures, sprung from Twisted ToyFare Theatre — quite literally, as former writers Tom Root and Douglas Goldstein are head writers for the show, along with fellow Twisted ToyFare Theatre alumnus Matthew Senreich. Robot Chicken producer Seth Green is also an avid toy collector and was a long-time friend of the magazine. He wrote the introduction for one of the Twisted ToyFare Theatre collected editions (actor Mark Hamill, a frequent voice actor on Robot Chicken, also wrote the introduction to one of the collections).

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Squidster posted:

It made Dr Strange even more unlikable than he already is.
Impossible to do.

quote:

Some street vendor got robbed, and you sentence him to weeks of injury for being rude about it? What a jackass
Yeah, and why didn't you use that spell, on, I dunno, Thanos? (Yeah, I know, Infinity Stone immunity bullshit or something. But why haven't you used it before; it's a great spell?)

More Dr. Strange 2:

Shai-Hulud posted:

Her powers always scale to the plot. Like how she can seal Black Bolts mouth shut enough for him blow up his own head but needs to fight Captain Carter hand by hand. So she can reshape reality but only a bit when it's convenient

Improbable Lobster posted:

That poo poo was super annoying

I disagree on this one, actually! She had all the time in the world to prepare for Black Bolt and Mr. Fantastic. But Captains Carter and Marvel were pressing her heavily so she wasn't able to get off any intricate chaos magic and had to just blast away.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BiggerBoat posted:

He'd smash it

Seems more like Spider-man's speed

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Its barely on screen, but the initial snap in infinity war clearly fucks up his hand and the gauntlet.

I know we ought not to expect consistency among the movies, much less between the movies and 616 continuity, but the Hulk does have amazing regenerative powers surpassing, e.g., Wolverine's, so if anyone could eventually recover from the damage of the gauntlet it'd be him.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Trivia time because someone mentioned the word: "bodega" comes from the same root as "apothecary"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Actually, you’re incorrect

Like I'm trusting anything user Alexander Hamilton has to say about shooting someone. Maybe if you were user Aaron Burr...

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fil5000 posted:

Can't believe you're calling out people for their usernames when we can tell immediately by yours that everything you say only applies to sheeple that recognise maritime law.

I'll have you know that I am typing, not posting, on the forums and thus cannot be probed for whatever I say. Further, I am rightfully known as Admir=alty_flag, a natural and free poster on the forums, and per the Universal Commerce Clause am legally distinct from the artificial corporation named ADMIRALTY FLAG established by the successive owners of this website.

Signed,
redthumbprint.gif

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I hadn't been to the theater since Top Gun and liked Thor a great deal more. And I liked the little Waititi touches.

Less is more. I think that really applies to the Waititi touches in this movie. And I know he can be restrained, because he was in Ragnarok, which I consider a top three solo Marvel outing.

Rock god Thor sequence at the beginning: needed to be dialed back like 25% to really land; it was just too much

Korg: needed to be in maybe half the scenes he was in. It's obvious Waititi is just too in love with the character. Sometimes you need to kill your darlings

Miek: needed to be scrapped

The goats: needed to end the joke after they made their entrance into Omnipotence City; that was its payoff. There are some people who can take a joke, kill it, and keep going with it until it's funny again. The catches are: the last person I can think of like this was Mike Myers in the Austin Powers series, and even he only hit it about half the time (only applies to the first two movies; can't even remember the third)

The music: Personal opinion, but Ragnarok was much better than Love & Thunder. Maybe because using the Immigrant Song twice is the only music I can remember from Ragnarok, which totally rocked (no pun intended)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just would like the show to average more than 1.7 laughs per episode. It's a pity that the funniest thing so far on the show was the stinger for episode 1.

OK, the lovely magician was funny now that I think about it, but I don't remember laughing much during the episode. Maybe the idea of a crappy magician trying to keep up with the Sorcerer Supreme is a lot funnier than the execution was.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Phy posted:

I mean, guard and police dogs exist, but that's kind of the exception that proves the rule, right? They have to be trained extensively to attack people without turning on their handlers, and that's not something xenomorphs seem to be capable of.

It's not the breed, it's the trainer

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sort of continuing the train of thought from the last two posts (e: the last two above oldpainless), I've never really enjoyed watching Seinfeld...by myself. It's just not very funny, and the characters seem unnecessarily petty and cruel. But when there's someone else watching it with me? It gets to be a whole lot more funnier. So maybe a laughter is contagious sort of thing mixed with some form of the pathetic fallacy? I don't know.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ravenfood posted:

"And they have a plan" just got progressively funnier in the opening crawl as the seasons went on.

The one cool thing about the opening credits was the whiteboard getting updated for every episode.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

deoju posted:

Oh, yeah. It's all make believe. I tried to make it clear that I was aware of the absurdity of my complaint and poking fun at myself. Sorry if I missed the mark.

Edit: I was referencing this Simpsons bit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQH2rmQ5-vk

Not bad but the superior Simpsons skit addressing fantasy/sci-fi/cartoon continuity is of course
https://youtu.be/sVgVB3qsySQ

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zero_Grade posted:

More proof for the theorem that the better the villain's song, the better the villain.

I will stan all day and night for Scar as a villain simply because his song has a fantastic zeugma: "Our teeth and ambition are bared...Be prepared!"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There is a treatment for depression called Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, where specific groups of neurons in your brain are targeted with pulses of magnetic waves at varying intervals over periods of time (e.g., every other day for X number of weeks). It is reported to have alleviated depression to some degree or another in approximately 70% of patients who undergo the treatment. It's not like ECT -- there's no "zapping" with electricity or the like. The most dramatic effect it has during treatment is an occasional muscle contraction during calibration.

I was in the 30%.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Panfilo posted:

It was too dark, too confusing. I've heard this ending was kind of shoehorned in, that originally they were going to end the film in San Francisco but felt it too anticlimactic. But what they ended up with feels like some bizarre fever dream.
I couldn't see for poo poo in the final scenes. A muddy mess not helped by the CGI of the day.

I do believe the possibility of the shoehorned action ending. Lee's movie was never really a superhero movie; it was a monster movie dressed up in another genre. It's been a while, but could've ended it in SF as the Hulk disappears from the fight, then quick cut after 30 seconds of credits -- or just maybe a fade to black -- to Eric Bana in the jungle talking in Spanish or Portuguese, can't remember which, about how you wouldn't like to see him angry.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

DrBouvenstein posted:

Been re-watching some Parks and Rec, because it's an easy "don't have to pay attention to it while I do housework or a crossword" show, and the final season plotline of getting a small chunk of forest in Pawnee turned into a National Park is absurd.

Some random, Mid-West, nothing special in any way about it plot of forest would NEVER be a National Park. There's nothing special about it.
Not too long ago I would have said the same thing about Indiana Dunes or the Gateway Arch and (sigh) look at us now.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started watching Deep Space 9 after only seeing random clips as far as I remember, but something that kind of bugs me about the franchise as a whole is how holodecks became the everything, since they seem like a HUGE step down when it comes to flexibility. Certainly it's more ~immersive~, but in a holodeck you are just... you. The only abilities that you have are those you have IRL and that seems very limiting, especially when interacting with other species that might have very different capabilities. Replacing movies, I can understand, but ALL media? Traditional videogames are way more interesting theoretically (as far as media made by humans), especially dealing with other species (as long as they can interface with the controller, and custom controllers can be a thing) because they are more of an equaliser. A Klingon wrestling a Ferengi on a holodeck is a foregone conclusion for the most part outside of very specific situations or circumstances, but any pair of people can play, say, street fighter, and have an equal chance of winning or losing, because they can only do as much harm as the character is programmed to, and characters can only act according to the speed the buttons can be pressed combined with the speed the animation completes at. An alien may be able to fly IRL, but in a platformer they can only jump as far as their character - it's adding limitations to play in an engaging way. Certainly gambling tables and some electronic board games show up, but only a couple of types.

I can't think of any specific examples of this in the show, but who's to say you couldn't program a holodeck to give you an experience like parkour assassin? (Run and jump to the next roof, the holodeck holds you in midair with a tractor beam while moving you to the roof, blowing air at you all the way, and you land gracefully, pulling holographic knives from a bandolier and hurling them at computer-generated targets, which all are hit head-on, naturally.) Or a superhero simulator?

Actually, don't tell me that the underlying 007-based program that showed up in "Our Man Bashir" had 'realistic pistol accuracy' as the default setting -- unless you cranked it up to realistic hit detection, while running the real program in the holosuite, pointing your holopistol in the general direction of a nameless mook and firing would certainly have resulted in a Wilhelm scream and a plunge off a catwalk.

PvP melee combat would be a little more difficult to fudge but it could be done to some degree with weak tractor beams (hindering the stronger/faster combatant), holograms, and dodgy hit detection all favoring the weaker combatant.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Panfilo posted:

Even without that Two Face, who knew Bruce personally, refuses to believe Batman and Bruce would be the same person.
Wait, why would Two-Face not be able to understand that someone could have two radically different personalities, drives, and appearances that emerged seemingly at random?

I'm sure there was more to it but it seems sort of laughable on the surface.

Panfilo posted:

Bane mockingly stomping on fish while Aquaman yelling at him to stop had me in stitches. Also the petty evil of joker stealing Banes food purely out of spite and Bane getting upset and exasperated about it was great.
The moment I knew the third season was going downhill was when the bank officer asked Bane, "Do you think you might suffer from depression?" The gag was beautifully done for so long as subtext, but someone decided that it needed to be smashed in our faces...

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Torquemada posted:

IN AN ORDER THAT MIGHT SURPRISE YOU

Lol the Badman shorts were so good

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SiKboy posted:

"Magic is real and there are space wizards. They can parry lasers. One of them is a muppet.".
Hayden Christiansen may not be the best actor ever but this is uncalled for.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Phanatic posted:

"Enough of this. Vader, release him!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jdQqjcsfC8

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Baron von Eevl posted:

At least stormtrooper armor would offer some protection against the elements and impacts. Almost everyone we see in the movies is using a blaster or lightsaber but I'd imagine most of the oppression is against unarmed folks and rigid plastic sheets would do a fair amount against the rabble.
Ewoks owning stormtroopers with arrows and heavy rocks notwithstanding.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

the holy poopacy posted:

I hate it when they end on an obvious sequel hook and then just launch endless spinoffs.

My problem was the first third was Rashomon, most of the rest was mostly voiceover narration (c'mon, show, don't tell), but then you get the David Lynch-directed acid trip to finish the whole thing off, which frankly fit in a different film.

At least there was a theme to this movie. I hear the prequel is just a bunch of scenes thrown together with no rhyme or reason.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I won't hear anyone speak bad of Chevy Chase, considering his turn as Mel Gibson on Law & Order. "Hey, sugartits!"

Seriously, if there ever was brilliance in casting a now and a there-but-by-the-grace-of-God pair, that was it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Filmmakers: nail guns are not glocks. They do not shoot ballistic flechettes at 3000m/s. They are made to put nails into wood by pressing them directly onto the piece of wood, not by dual wielding them while sliding down a banister like Chow Yun loving Fat.

I know this for a fact! I've shot myself in the finger with a (finishing) nail gun through being careless with where I was holding together two pieces of wood. It did almost no damage save two bleeding holes and caused almost no pain. (Fortunately, it went through the fleshy part of my left index finger and did not hit bone.)

Nail guns won't even fire unless they're pressing down on something!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Re: Predators on hunts, an old front page (inb4 "There's a front page?") article on the subject.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/blue-stripe-predator/1/

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Do they even use A3 paper in the US?

Our closest equivalent is ledger paper (11"x17", compared to A3's ?11.5"x16"? I think approximates the dimensions), which is the equivalent of two letter sheets joined along a long edge. More common 'large' paper is legal (8.5"x14", compared to 11" long). Sorry, I'm not clicking back to my iPad's calculator to convert out of Freedom Units.

Where is this a plot point in Die Hard? (I assume this is what everyone's talking about.) I can see not having access to ledger if you're not in an actual print shop.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Grendels Dad posted:

Currently rewatching Predator to commemorate Carl Weathers' passing, and it reminds that I first saw Predator when I was way too young and how I thought the dead scorpion had some kind of significance to the Predator and maybe it just wanted to avenge its dead scorpion buddy.

Not the meme thread for once.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Cowslips Warren posted:

Nick Cage goes 110% in every single movie he does. And so for that I got a respect the man.

Iimm: similar to Ant-Man not being about the hero trying to get back with his partner, and that's the reason he becomes the hero, to prove that he's good enough for her still and that she doesn't need her new boyfriend/ husband, this little scene and this kind of silly show was the needle in the haystack, and proved that this is how more shows and movie should be about in certain issues.

When Nick Cage was voicing Into the Spider-Verse, the story goes that on the first day of taping he did a few of his lines, and the director asked for more passion or whatever. They went back and forth a couple of times until he reputedly asked, "Do you want me to go full Cage?" The director said yes, and the rest is history.

I like to think he's fully self-aware. No one could be so much of an acting phenomenon without that; you'd just be an energetic Tommy Wiseau otherwise.

Agreed on Ant-Man, by the way. That was refreshing, that he wasn't trying to win back his estranged wife.