Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Sulecrist posted:

Edit: if I remember correctly, the real monsters are supposed to be, in no particular order, Angron, Sanguinius, Russ, and the Khan.

Well, only one of those has gotten a rules release (Angron) and it turns out he's a pile of hot, steaming garbage, so that may not bode well for the others.

Strength of Many posted:

In all honesty I really like the regular Sororitas armor. All it really needs is a feathered breastplate instead of boob cups, and curb any high heels in favor of heeled boots if we must continue that trend.

These are good but maybe too much of a departure from the ornate and holy warrior look the Orders Militant are expected to have

I like the design on the regular SoB armor as well (they're the one faction I feel like the "uber-gothic skulls and poo poo everywhere" look really works for), but good luck convincing GW to ever give them a model release. They're too busy inventing entirely new factions to give Sisters even a single new sculpt in three editions.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

can we all agree that the Iron Warriors are the best legion

I just thought that was so universal it was inherently understood and didn't need to be discussed. IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Boon posted:

Just put together the Tantalus. Goddamnit did that suck - will post pictures as I start to slather paint on it.

Good news, then! With the existence of Wraithguard (and it being the only DE transport that can carry them plus an Archon), it finally has a use!

BuffaloChicken posted:

Once the scatter terrain is painted and there's lots more of it, it should look really good and soften the severe "stepped" look of the terrain. But I'm excited to have modular terrain that makes the game more vertical and interesting!

Your stuff is always rad, BC. What's the deal with that "bridge" you've got going there- is it just kinda resting on there, or does it have some sort of anchor points so as to link a little more securely onto the hills?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

By the way, does anyone know the stats for a plasma culverin?

18" S7 AP2 Assault 3 Gets Hot!

It's okay when you're rerolling your 1s (via Preferred Enemy on the warlord, a warlord trait, or being BS6+ thanks to Doctrina) but it's expensive and pretty risky. I've seen it used to good effect, though, and combined with cover-reducing stuff (Omnispex, Auspex, Perfect Timing) it's pretty harsh.

Fearless posted:

Angron's not garbage. He provides relatively little boost to his legion when on the field (12" fearless radius) but is a complete monster in close combat... and as he kills, he gets nastier. Horus aside, I'd put money on Angron over pretty much any of the primarchs that have rules so far.

(full disclosure: I play World Eaters and love the model)

I think Angron is a cool concept and arguably one of the best primarch models, but he's pretty awful in terms of rules. First up, he's really fragile compared to most of the others: he's only 3+ armor and a 4+ invuln. That means it's pretty easy to drown him in regular attacks and/or mash him up with any kind of power weapon. Second of all, his offensive stats are good, but not so good as to make up for his fragility. He's WS9 and I7, which are big, and S8 with his weapons, so he chops up normal dudes really hard... but so does every other primarch just by virtue of raw stats. So while he's better than, say, Corax or Peturabo at murdering a dozen chumps in a squad, that's not really a good measure of his effectiveness. But the real capstone of suck is that he doesn't really do anything except fight; that's appropriate for him, but with his middling fighting skills it means that he's actually one of the weakest primarchs in most situations. Someone like Peturabo or Vulkhan will tank all of his hits on a 3++/FNP, then swing back and push a bunch of hits through his weak saves (and god forbid they have Concussive or he's basically out of the fight.)

That's why I don't really like Angron- he's supposed to be a battle-crazy murder machine, but he only hits marginally harder than 40K Kharne does (who happens to be 240pts cheaper) and certainly isn't survivable enough to make up for it. If he could fight multiple challenges and get his full allotment of attacks in each one? Or he had some kind of "sixes turn into more attacks" thing? Or otherwise had some kind of advantage in melee that the other primarchs were 90% as good as in addition to doing other powerful stuff? He might be a lot better. World Eaters kinda get hosed in 30K, sad to say, because they're one of my favorite legions.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

What makes assault so bad in this edition and the last?

A lot of people overstate how bad assault is off- I mean, Knights, deathstars (including Screamers, Seer Councils, etc), extremely fast assault units (Flesh Hounds, Chaos Spawn, Maulerfiends, Wraiths, and Bikes of all sorts), Knights/Wraithknights, and many other assault units have been defining parts of 6th and 7th edition in many ways. Assault is a very relevant part of the game now, I would argue more relevant than it was in 5th edition when everything was inside transports that you hit on 6s and grenades weren't freely available to most every faction.

However, if you look at the above list of strong assault units, two things will jump out at you: they're all very fast and they're all very tough. Hitting power is actually somewhat secondary (though not ignorable) because an assault unit's job first and foremost is not to die before it gets to the enemy. Even if all it does is lock up some shooting units for 2-3 turns, that can often be enough to win a game. So, when people lament the "uselessness" of assault units, they usually are talking about stuff like Rough Riders, Howling Banshees, and other melee units that are supposed to be hard-hitting but not able to take a punch; units like these will usually evaporate to superior firepower (or even just Overwatch) long before they are able to make combat. Overwatch makes survivability important (so you don't get a charge stolen at the last moment) and random charge distance exacerbates this by making any casualties you take even more important and by making even short charges unreliable unless you have Fleet or similar. (You have almost a 10% to fail a 4" charge, for example.)

The Sex Cannon posted:

I never really got why they removed charge-from-outflank and charge-from-stationary-transport. I'd be totally down to bring those two back in games. I play Guard primarily, so those would hinder, rather than help me, but in the interest of keeping things strategically viable, I'd allow it.

I also never understood why they made charge distances random.

Random charge distances were supposed to be a "balancing" factor against premeasuring, so you wouldn't know for certain if you would make a given charge. But that really feels like something that is more applicable to Fantasy than 40K, since shooting ranges aren't random.

Not being able to charge from outflank has a certain rationale behind it (the enemy always gets a chance to respond to units before being assaulted), although I don't agree with it. Removing charges from transports was part of their belated nerf of 5th edition, when transports were kings of the world. However, with the addition of Hull Points and many other changes to the game, I feel like it's rather overkill and they should be re-allowed.

JerryLee posted:

One idea I had was to allow you to always successfully complete a charge up to 12", but if it's a greater distance than the 2d6, it's a disordered charge.

Being able to always charge 12" would be CRAZY strong. Units like Wraiths/Bikes/superheavies would be able to automatically catch you from insane distances. Shooting would almost be pointless in that case, since many units would have a threat range of 24" (or even more, in some cases.)

TKIY posted:

Any hints at all on the rules for the Kataphrons or electro priests yet?

I'm going to be a huge sucker and get some to ally to my Skitarii...

Kataphrons we've seen the rules leak for. T7/3+, come with some power fists, form a unit combined with their little controller buddy, have some decent guns they can get. They have three "modes" that you can change with basically a one-turn delay on each. One lets you shoot twice (but you can't move); one gives you... counterattack or something? One was like Rage or Rampage or whatever. Basically, a static shooty one, a "gotta go fast" assault one, and a balanced defensive one. They're not too expensive points-wise, as I recall.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

SRM posted:

I've been wondering this myself, since robots and AI are forbidden in 40k.

Pierre pretty much hits the nail on the head, but there is a little bit more to it than that. Imperial doctrine forbids "smart" AIs that have humanlike thought patterns or abilities; "dumb" AIs, such as the machine spirits of many Imperial vehicles are permissible within restraints. The robots that do exist in the Imperium are, theoretically, just very advanced "dumb" AIs that are not capable of true though or learning- during the Heresy era, however, the boundary was a lot closer and you had near-sentient or fully-sentient (but restricted) robots operating fairly freely. You can even get an upgrade for them, Paragon of Metal, that represents one of the advanced AIs and a result on the Cybertheurgy that results in the robot breaking free of its programming to go berzerk.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

So confusing

Huh, I didn't realize that the new Gaunt's Ghosts novel was out already. I guess I should go down and pick that up.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Selling after-market additions for another company's products isn't illegal, though it certainly skirts some issues. But you are perfectly free to print "for use with Apple iPhones" on your phone case and for the most part you're free and clear. Chapterhouse often behaved like a douche, but that doesn't actually mean they were breaking the law.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Uroboros posted:

Also, does the Vindicare's hellfire round count as "poison"? It doesn't mention anything in the dataslate, while Hellfire rounds mentioned in the Space Marine codex specifically are rated as poison. I ask simply because it would mean that the Vindicare could actually hurt Gargantuan creatures reliably...

I think RAW that you're correct, and it doesn't count as Poisoned, but it would be a perfectly reasonable interpretation to say that it does. Of course, you could also go the other direction and assume that the Vindicare's ammo is of a superior grade to normal Hellfire rounds and thus works on things they wouldn't (like Gargantuan Creatures.)

Hustlin Floh posted:

I would assume that Land Raiders get actual Machine Spirits while Wyverns don't. Space Marines get all the good tech.

Edit: it's like how every lasgun or bolter doesn't actually have an AI in it, the soldiers just assign a personality to it.

I think the Imperial doctrine is that all machines, no matter how simple or complex, have a machine spirit- but more advanced (and more holy) machines have more advanced ones, with the top tier of such devices (like Land Raiders) having ones that are almost-but-definitely-not-quite-human levels. Placating machines spirits is how most members of the Imperium conceptual matinence and repair tasks- you don't need to clean the residue from the system because it will get gunked up and seize, you need to polish things so that the machine spirit is happy (otherwise it will get mad at you and fail catastrophically.)

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Some pretty lazy new marine tanks, by the looks of things. Probably should just be upgrade sprues...

Alright, the Rhino is gonna be a derpy version of the Damocles Command Rhino that lets you add +/-1 to reserves or something like that. It'll have the TL'ed Plasma on the turret there and cost probably way too much.

The Land Raider will be... hmmm... just under 300pts, I think, because GW is still convinced the basic LR isn't a pile of worthless garbage and I think at this point they're catching on that Grav weapons are really good, but will manage to overestimate it anyways. There's no way it has a capacity of more than 10, and could easily be one of the worthless "only carries five" variants.

Hihohe posted:

Rules question. Can you cast a psychic power while in close combat. Like a Blessing?

Unless specified otherwise, yes. Witchfires cannot be used in combat (because they require you to be able to make a shooting attack), but other types of powers are not so limited.

LordAba posted:

They do have the same thing in Fantasy (each wound multiplied out, but only really impacts multi-wound models), so there is precedent. Though it could either way depending on the wording.

This is also how Str D weapons work.

BULBASAUR posted:

55 points for two plasma cannon shots or 6 haywire attacks at 30" is a steal. gently caress, it could take out a spartan in one turn of shooting. Think about that for a minute.

Is it me or has the recent power creep put vehicles in a really bad spot?

AdMech stuff bringing a billion haywire shots has definitely made them look a bit less attractive overall, but I think the real problem is more that GW hasn't been printing any really strong vehicles recently.

I'm not sure I feel the Plasma is that amazing yet- it's still Gets Hot and BS3 so it's quite likely you'll lose a shot each turn (and the 4+ save means that there's a good chance it will actually tick off a wound when you do.) The middling save also means they are very vulnerable to the multishot high-Str weapons that are out there in plenty these days. The Haywire version I can see as something to cram into a Drop Pod, since it's way more of a "solution" unit, but Skitarii might still fill that role better.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Cataphract posted:

In 7th, can your unit still assault an enemy unit forced to disembark from a transport your unit shot at in the shooting phase.

I'd been presuming I could but can't find anything in the rulebook saying I can do that anymore.

Very bottom of p.82. Any unit that shoots at a transport that gets destroyed can charge whatever disembarks, even if they weren't personally the ones that killed it.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

drgnvale posted:

I have a game on Saturday with my daemonkin army and I'm wondering what the general consensus is on the Blood for the Blood God! rule with characters; the text states "A character with the Blood for the Blood God! special rule is slain, or slays an enemy character in a challenge." To me it seems like that's saying that a point is earned when your character is killed in a challenge, but apparently there's some debate and others think you get the point no matter how your character dies.

I'm with the side that thinks that it only counts your characters dying in challenges, but the ITC ruling has been the opposite, so that's what a lot of the tournaments are using.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

drgnvale posted:

Can you link to the ITC ruling? The last ITC FAQ I could find was from February.

I don't believe it's been updated to the FAQ document yet, but that was what I was told by Reece when I asked him about it. (Admittedly, Reece is not the whole of the ITC rulings committee, so that is not an absolute decision.) However, if you're looking for the ITC FAQ page, the most recent update can always be found here.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is the starter box rule booklet good enough? I'd rather buy that and get some minis than just buy the rulebook proper. I'd only be playing with other people that presumably have their own rulebook but will I have any glaring omission in my booklet?

The starter version of the rulebook is 100% complete in terms of the rules of the game; the big version of the rulebook comes with two additional books that have fluff and modeling info if you care about that, but aside from page size the rulebook portions of both are the same.

Sulecrist posted:

They need more catchup time, especially since Prospero will feature Custodes and Imperial Agents (like Sisters of Silence) in addition to the headliners.

I really am hoping for more Solar Auxillia stuff to expand their army a bit as well as anything on the Custodes and Sisters of Silence. If they somehow manage to put all three into a book, I will absolutely buy that book.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

You're only half right. Studded armor is super-rad and awesome but beakies are made of stinky butts full of poop.

It's the truth and everyone knows it but I'm the only one brave enough to say.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Mange Mite posted:

In the new Knights book I think it's also a rank awarded to the leader of a mechanicus-aligned knight house.

"Princeps" is essentially equivalent to "High King," yeah- it indicates the ruling member of a house of Knights aligned to the Mechanicus.

Safety Factor posted:

Dreadnoughts get used in boarding actions all the time. I think it's safe to assume ships in 40k are pretty roomy.

Spaceships in 40K are insanely huge. As I recall, even Destroyers are like a kilometer long and have crews in the thousands.

PierreTheMime posted:

Fielding a 1000pt Chaos Daemons/Chaos Space Marines list for fun against Eldar tomorrow to see how solidly trounced I will get. I have a feeling it's going to be depressing.

Eldar really, really hate Heldrakes- they have very few good ways to deal with them. Just sayin'.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

quote:

While Clarey says he is not a men's rights activist, he wrote that 'Fury Road' is 'the Trojan horse feminists and Hollywood leftists will use to (vainly) insist on the trope women are equal to men in all things, including physique, strength, and logic.'

Truly, this sounds like a man with an opinion worth listening to!

On a more 40K related note, finally getting around to building my Canoptek Wraiths. Surprisingly simple construction, and while they don't have a ton of options they do at least come in three variations and are reasonably posable. Now if only I can find some way to alter the tai;/body setup for a little more variety...

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Friggin' finally. Hopefully they get a "real" rules release so that Chaos players can actually use all of those Knights they have laying around.

Ignite Memories posted:

A friend of mine is about to play his first game of 40k, and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best list to use against him. We're playing 1000 points, and he has VERY few models. He has a squad of fire warriors, some crisis suits, some broadsides and a riptide [and i think a sniper drone squad maybe?]. It's a very low model count army, and I'm trying to come up with an ork list that'll give him a good fight but not smoosh him.

I made 3 lists, trying to vary my model count a little. Which do you think would be a good fight? I don't want to discourage him, but I also don't want to give up an easy win because he can be kind of a tool.

Lukky Stixx, as other people have said, is probably a no-no here; you don't want stuff with really complicated rules or that forces him to deal with complex interactions (Look Out Sir!, rerolls, etc all at once.) A simple Ork hybrid list would probably be good- Warboss in Mega-Armor (so he gets a taste of how mixed saves work), a couple of Trukks, a bunch of Boyz on foot, some shooty units to back it all up. He's got a good army, but realize that once Tau are in combat, things are basically over.

SRM posted:

Rules are out for the Space Marine command tanks:

The Rhino basically being an aircraft carrier for skulls is 40k as gently caress and I like it. The repair one is way too good though - fixing a hullpoint on a 2+ while a techpriest needs what, a 4+? Also giving a unit full BS for snap shots could be genuinely terrifying if applied to a Guard blob. I generally like the idea of command vehicles though, more units that don't just kill guys better than other units is good for the game I think.

Depending on points, these are potentially quite strong. The Rhino being able to throw down a 7" blast and auto-get reserves are both really good, as is repairing vehicles on a 2+ and giving guys the ability to fire full overwatch. And handing out Skyfire/Intercept/Tank Hunter? That's cray-cray.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Right, how's this?

MAWBoss
3x Manz, trukk
12x Hard boyz, trukk
20x Shoota boyz, footslogging
Skorcha Buggy
Rokkit Buggy
5x Flash Gitz w/ battlewagon

units have power klaws and whatnot where appropriate, obviously, i just wanted to write the shortform list so it wasn't such a pain to look at.

I could swap out the battlewagon for a grot screen or something if you think that's too much armor.

Hmmm. Does he have any Fusion in his list? If yes, the Battlewagon is fine- if not, I'd probably take osme Lootas or something instead. Maybe Deffkoptas. But I'd say it's a pretty solid version overall- you've got a mix of armor saves so he can kinda wrap his head around that sort of thing, different speeds of units, and a variety of choices.

serious gaylord posted:

He seems to be quite useful in killing other Primarchs, being that he gets to re-roll an invulnerable save every game phase and his sword is pretty nasty.

It makes him a bit more survivable than you might otherwise assume, yeah. It's no 3++, but it means he'll usually make it to the latter rounds of combat. Being able to swing with Concussive on the first turn and then follow it up with at-Initiative swings is pretty nice.

LordAba posted:

Cool new nurgle and khorne guys. I'm really happy for you.

*takes daemonettes home and cries*
Hey look, at least they have a single varient of the Fiend of Slaanesh left. But man! Cool new greater daemon! Bloodthirsters are pretty great.

Sadly, Slaanesh is the least popular God and has been for a long time. I'd really like to see it get some love, though, and the Chaos Knights might be a good start, as canonically the only fallen Knight houses are all Slaaneshi.

Deanut Pancer posted:

The 2+ repair is nice, but it is a once-per-game ability, so you're basically buying 5/6ths of a hull point for one model. Also it doesn't have the ability to repair a weapon-destroyed/immobilised result like a techmarine. So it doesn't seem that OP to me

It's true, but that 1HP will sometimes make a big difference on vehicles. But yeah, I wouldn't call it overpowered as an ability at all- if anything, I would be much more worried about that orbital strike.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Strength of Many posted:

Mind if I pick everyone's brain on this list? I'm torn between going pure Blood Angels or dragging in Allies to shore up weaknesses. It feels kind of boring but I wanted to give it a try before I go all in on the idea of Drop Podding, Deep Striking, Assault Ramping right up the opponent's butthole.

It's not a bad start, but Tacticals don't benefit nearly as much from the Baal Strike Force as other units do- I've seen some people have success using a BA Tactical Spam list, but I think you definitely want a Combined Arms list to do it. You allies aren't really adding a lot, as others have said- Centurions are good and all, but you're not really set up to use them well. Taking SM allies for a TFC or Cents can be very useful, but how are you going to get them to the enemy? You need, at the very least, a Drop Pod to bring them down near the other guy's toys you want to break. Having a BA Librarian or Tiggy with them (for Divination) is certainly the right call. Not sure if the 4th guy is needed, but it's worth trying out.

The Heavy Flamers on the tacticals... I dunno. It's great on a mobile unit, but I almost feel like you'd be better off with a heavy weapon so you can bunker into midfield and just pew-pew out of your tank. HFs are pretty sweet, though, so might be worth using overall- definitely get some Meltabombs on those guys, though, you're gonna need 'em.

The Sanguinary Guard feel like an awkward fit in a mechanized list. They're useful as a countercharge unit, but I think you're overinvesting in them for that purpose.

Ignite Memories posted:

It was a good intro game. He got to win his first match-up, and I got a chance to remember why I never ever run mixed mechanized/footslogging lists. I don't know what I would have done if his riptide hadn't overheated 3 times, that thing is a tough nut to crack. I think tau have a lot of cool toys, and this game made me a little sad that orks don't have that kind of versatility, Ld, invuln saves and wargear. But then, I feel that way playing against every army.

I had a question come up that I wasn't sure about - does my warboss make a morale check at the end of the shooting phase if everybody in his squad is shot to death but him? He lost more than 25% of the unit, but now he's not in any unit anymore. How's that work?

Also, I seem to remember something about getting a reroll on warlord traits. Is that a thing that comes along with using a regular CAD, or am I misremembering?

Riptides die the same way most things do to Orks- in melee, by drowning it in saves. Tankbustas also can do the job, since every member of the squad has Meltabombs. Power Klaws kill just about anything, and since Rippy isn't a character he can't single you out.

The Warboss (or any other IC) will have to make a check if he loses everyone else in his squad. He ends up "leaving" the unit when it ceases to exist, but he was still a member of it up to that point (which is what triggers the check.)

The Combined Arms detachment gives you a reroll on your warlord trait, yes. Most codex-specific detachments (and a few formations) give you a reroll on your trait if you roll on the table specific to your faction.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

drgnvale posted:

Got back from a 2v2 game; 1500pts per player, 3k per side. Daemonkin are way less fun than I'd hoped; the two turn wait for summoned bloodthirsters assaulting sucks and I probably won't play this army again. I'll finish painting it because I'm having a lot of fun with that part, but I think I might have finally hit the breaking point on how bad of a game 40k is.

Remember that the Bloodthirster brought in by Blood Tithe arrives before the movement phase, which means it is allowed to change flight modes in that same turn (although it is not allowed to move, as per the Deep Strike rules.) This essentially shortens your wait time down to a single turn, although that can still feel like a painfully long time when the enemy is shooting you with every gun they have.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

You could use the UM doctrine to make them Relentless that turn if you wanted.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

It makes all the Devs relentless and lets everyone else reroll snap shots, so not quite that good. Probably better than using the "reroll 1s" doctrine on the turn you land, though, since being able to Multimelta some guys out of existence is handy.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

drgnvale posted:

Yeah, the people I was playing with didn't buy that argument. I suspect warhammer 40k might actually be a good game if GW would outsource the editing and proofreading to a competent person, but I've given up hope for that.

Maybe the ITC faq will be updated for daemonkin issues (and the eldar rulings) at some point.

Point out to them the line where it explicitly says that Blood Tithe happens at the beginning of the turn, not during the movement phase.

Uroboros posted:

Specifically says you can't do this in the SM codex.

Oh, right. I forgot they had a special clause on that one to make sure it was useless. :\

Hot.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

OhDearGodNo posted:

- Do you need to declare deny the witch before the other player rolls for it to pass?

- When during a turn do you issue orders (imperial guard)?

- Can the HWT deploy independently of the platoon?

-The sequence is, in essence, first the player rolls dice to cast a spell; then, if Perils of the Warp occurred, they roll to see what its effects are; then, the opposing player rolls any Deny attempts as appropriate.

-Orders are always issued at the beginning of the shooting phase, before any other shooting occurs. You resolve each Order one at a time until you're done with all of them, then you move on to "regular" shooting.

-Heavy Weapon Teams bought as an upgrade for an Infantry Squad must remain part of that squad- however, you also have the option of purchasing Heavy Weapons Squads, which each consist of three HWT, and these are not part of the Infantry Squads.

Arven posted:

Just saw Fury Road. I'm so glad I already play Orks, because I would have wanted to start an Ork army after seeing it.

I... I'm probably going to start an "Ork" army because of that movie. :smith: It's so good.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

My usual opponent suggested we try a 5000 point game, my Blood Angels versus his Tau. The largest game we've played so far is 2500 points.

Basically, what am I in for? My gut instinct is that it will take 6-8 hours and be a complete mess. I mean do you still play for objectives? Play until one person has no models left? Or do you just see who gives up first?

Typically the Apocalypse rules are best for games played at 3000pts or more, although you don't actually need to use them. You almost certainly want to use a larger board than normal (I would suggest a 4x10 or so for that size of game, or perhaps 6x8 if that's easier) or else things will feel insanely crowded. If you don't use Apocalypse, playing "double" missions would be recommended to keep the game interesting- in essence, roll up (or pick) two missions and run them both side-by-side so that all of the units have something to do and you're not just dogpiling on 1-3 objective markers in the center of the board.

6-8 hrs is a pretty good estimate for time for that big of a fight. You'll definitely want to take a lunch break in the middle of it unless you're some kind of marathon man. Apocalypse actually takes the interesting tack of playing to a time limit, not a turn limit, which might be helpful as well- though of course you'll want to make sure both players end up taking an equal number of turns if you do it that way.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

LabiaBadgerTickler posted:

So the new Skitarri army. They any good to play with?

I'm thinking of getting back in and the new models are catching my eye. Plus, i've always liked the dark mechanicus. So conversions ahoy!

Skitarii are pretty good, but can be very expensive if you start buying the walkers. Doctrina Imperitives are amazing and they have a plethora of nice wargear to pick from. I did a review on Frontline that covers most of the stuff pretty well, though it's a little more aimed towards folks who are familiar with 7th Edition. The long and short of it, though, is that their troops are good, the jousting walker is good, the two shooty walkers are alright-to-good, and the melee dudes are fairly crappy.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Uroboros posted:

I'd like some thoughts on some 1500 point lists I've been mulling over.

My initial list had been.
*deletia*

Tigurius is great and most of the other stuff you have is decent, but you're definitely risking getting hit by an alpha strike on turn one and losing that Land Raider so that your Terminators just kinda have to derp their way across the field. There's really no way around that risk in a 1500 list- it's just something you have to accept. Oh, put Extra Armor on the LR (you'll feel really dumb if you get Stunned and can't do anything for a turn.)

The Typhoon is kinda a mediocre vehicle these days; not awful, but fragile enough that it will often get downed pretty quickly.

Whirlwinds aren't very good. Take a Thunderfire Cannon instead if you're looking for anti-infantry.

Try and get some Multimeltas on those Tacticals, or Lascannons if you wanna play really defensively with them. Having a 24" "vehicles stay the gently caress away" bubble is really useful. Meltabombs on a sergeant can be useful for handling Knights and MCs.

Tigurius probably rolls once on Divination (to get Prescience so the Termies are guaranteed to murder things) and then roll twice on Telepathy hoping for Invis and/or Shrouding.

quote:

That being said here are some other lists I have been playing with, and would like to know your thoughts.

A)
*deletia*

Calgar doesn't really fit into a 1500 list very well, especially not when you're running; you also don't really need him to run Honor Guard at all, as he's a huge tax. He can be good in a larger army where his detachment-wide benefits affect lots of dudes, but you're not really set up to take good advantage of him.

~5 Honor Guard in a Rhino are a really nasty (and pretty cheap) surprise for most people, so if you wanna try them out either trim the squad down slightly or beef it up and run it as a full-size deathstar unit (potentially with Tiggy.)

Grav Centurions have no psyker to give them buffs nor a good way to get in range, which is gonna hurt them a lot. They hit like a truck, but they will struggle to get within 24" against good players and T5/2+ doesn't carry you that far.

I don't really like this version of the list very much; it feels rather mismatched.

quote:

B)
*deletia*

Basically, I am unsure if I can make a decent drop pod list with just 5 pods(all I own atm). In the case of the second list the idea would be for the Devastator and Dread pods to come in empty. Personally, I don't like the idea of relying on reserve rolls when I am putting half my force directly into the enemy crosshairs. That being said I am open any sort of changes between any of these lists, and realize there is quite a bit of room to scramble stuff around.

Your Chapter Master is a good accompaniment to the Honor Guard (and a Pod can be a fine way to run them), but he needs to have a Storm Shield at the very least and possibly go for the full-on Shield Eternal so you have someone who can tank Lascannon shots without risk.

Dreadnoughts are really mediocre. I wouldn't bother with them, especially not the shooting version in a Pod.

Melta + Combigrav (or CombiMelta, depending on your local players) would be my preferred kit for Tacticals in Pods. Plasma isn't terrible, though.

Assault Marines exist to bring a cheap Drop Pod and get equipped with a pair of Flamers, nothing else. Sorry, Plasma Pistols are awful and ASM themselves are not in any way good as a close combat unit.

The Dev squad is going to struggle to do anything- at the very least, they want Multimeltas rather than Lascannons so that they are more likely to nuke a target (and range is irrelevant anyways.) However, I don't think they're a good inclusion overall, as there are better places to spend points.

Five Pods in 1500 is a reasonable number to run (seven would be a "full" Pod list but you don't need to go that far to do well with them); however, I think your army is going to struggle, because it doesn't make good use of the strengths of Drop Pods.

So, if you're trying to do a list, there's a couple ways we could take here; I'm not sure which you'd prefer.

Option 1: Assault Terminators list. Tiggy or Chapter Master leading it, mostly like the version you have above but with some tweaks.

Option 2: Standard Drop Pod list (possibly with Bikes mixed in, if you have any.) Would involve some changes, but wouldn't be too hard.

Option 3: Calgar Drop Pod list. It's doable, assuming you have a whole bunch (40+) of Tactical Marines and whatnot.

Option 4: Rhino list. You seem to really like/use Tacticals in Rhinos? White Scars and Raven Guard are both better at this than Ultramarines are, if you're open to switching Chapter Tactics. (And no, paint scheme doesn't matter for that unless you want it to.)

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

xtothez posted:

While there's truth in both sides, I don't really see it as any different to how 40k originally started. Rogue Trader itself was less of a rulebook and more of a framework to push little metal dudes around a table with some semblance of narrative.

The difference being that Rogue Trader was explicitly a narrative RPG game using miniatures (like Necromunda), whereas modern 40K is a wargame. Things that are acceptable in one type of game are not necessarily so in another because different types of games have different goals in mind. That's why the rules for the game shifted so drastically between RT, 2E, and 3E- the way the game was played and what type of game it was (RPG wargame, skirmish wargame, battle wargame) changed significantly, necessitating a change in rules.

If GW actually made 40K into a narrative game, that could be fine, too- but they want the best of both worlds, and are instead making the worst.

JackMack posted:

Which would you say are the most balanced? Why do you think we are not playing these games?

There are numerous wargames out there with better balance than 40K- almost all of them, honestly. Firestorm Armada, X-Wing, Warmachine/Hordes, and Infinity stand out as some of the most prominent examples of games with better design ethos than GW. (Other games might qualify as well, such as Dystopian Wars or Malifaux or Bolt Action, but I can't speak about them from direct experience.) As to why people don't play them, well, that's an amazingly broad question, but probably the simplest possible answer would be "because everyone already plays 40K." Wargames require two players, and the more players there are of a given game in your area the better your chances of actually being able to use the plastic toys you paid for. More popular games typically see more new player entries because there is a better incentive for them to join that game (as opposed to others) and more chance that they are introduced to that game first.

That said, all of these games are carving chunks out of GW's market share for a variety of reasons. GW still probably has the best production of plastic models in the industry, but their lead is slipping.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

None of those are army level wargames. At best, Warmachine and Infinity are squad based. To add to that, both suffer from rock/paper/scissors issues. In other words, my build beats your build because you don't have anything that could counter me. (Disclaimer: I don't play either game, I just have heard this quite a lot about both systems - perhaps the designers have fixed these issues.)

Also, some people like the aesthetic of 40K - I sure as hell prefer it over the examples you mentioned. I don't play games just to play games - I like to be invested in the background of a game as well.

*shrug* You didn't ask for army-level wargames. 40K wasn't even an army-level wargame until 3rd edition. I don't play WM/H, but Infinity isn't really all that R/P/S-y at all; most every model in the range is at least reasonably useful and it's very easy to build an army that can handle a wide variety of enemies with a good degree of facility. There are certainly some things you have to watch for (TO camo, full reaction, TAGs, and link teams) but all of these have multiple ways they can be dealt with in every faction, so it's not like you're boxed in to taking particular options.

The aesthetic thing is definitely an advantage for 40K- as I said, GW has some of the best model designers in the business, but it's not like one aesthetic is inherently superior to another; there are people who like the slick anime feel of Infinity, or the steampunk feel of WM/H, or the creepy horror vibe of Malifaux.

krushgroove posted:

Crossposting from the painting thread, Finally got around to editing these, so now I get to post all these pics

Very nice looking. I really need to get back to working on my own Baneblade chassis. Do the hull bits just "sit" into the main body, or did you magnetize them on?

NTRabbit posted:

Kromlech?

I would also argue that Micro Art Studios does good AdMech stuff with their Iron Brotherhood, Scibor does some really nice "heroic" scaled Marines, and a handful of other companies do good one-off stuff as well.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

I didn't mention Dreamforge because I feel their "look" is different enough from GW's (intentionally so) that they're doing their own thing, even if there is a bit of nod-and-wink in terms of using them for stand-ins. But after GW, they're probably one of the best producers of plastic kits around today, and they come in at a VERY affordable price with tons of customization bits. The only thing I wish they did betterwas have some more ornate details available as addons for the models, but that's really just a nitpick. (Their stuff is definitely nowhere near GW's "heroic" scale in terms of the hands and feet and weapons, but I don't feel that's really a detriment.)

Strength of Many posted:

My only comcern is the Marine torso and arms being too wide/big compared to the Valkir. Their legs look great though, if I can make the swap it would rid me of my least favorite feature about Astartes armor.

Marine torsos are a tad on the wide side compared to the Stormtroopers, but you could make it work with a bit of shaving/filing down. If you really want things to fit better, though, the various types of "heavy" trooper they have will be more appropriate, though. I use Stormtroopers for Guardsmen due to the smaller scale.

AbusePuppy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 22, 2015

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

It's the Statuesque Miniatures head that is used there; Hasslefree also has a line of heads that fit quite well (albeit sans hair, which you would have to sculpt on yourself.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Ted Theodore Logan posted:

I have a few questions about formations and how they work when building an army. I have the new eldar codex and it is the first 7th ed codex I have bothered to get (have not really played a game of 40k in about 2 years). From reading the codex chart it says that to play the aspect host or seer council I must have at least picked one of the guardian hosts first. Now if I have picked the windrider host and the seer council does that mean I combine the two together so I just add another farseer to it and the original farseer and warlocks from the windrider host become the seer council or would I end up with 3 farseers and 2 warlock conclaves? Is there any way to make a list so I do not have to play a 500 point tax to just get some other special rules? I love playing with aspect warriors but I hate vypers and each guardian hosts need at least 1.

Not quite.

Formations are things that can stand independently on their own without needing any other requirement, so you could potentially take just the Seer Council if you wanted- you don't need any other Eldar or even other models of any kind, theoretically. However, what you're talking about is slightly different- the Craftworld Warhost is a special "formation of formations" that has certain additional requirements (and additional benefits) for the units within it. If you wanted to take a Warhost, you need to take one Core choice (i.e. either the Guardians or Windriders indicated on the leftmost side of that page), which then unlocks other options that you can also take.

If you do take, say, a Windrider Host and a Seer Council, the Seer Council will function as its own unit that cannot break apart (as per its own rules.) All of the units within the Windrider Host, however, will act just like they normally would- so you would have a second Warlock Conclave unit that is separate from the one you get in the Seer Council as well as another Farseer that is allowed to join or leave units as he pleases.

Also note that you don't have to take the Craftworld Warhost if you don't want to- you can still use the "old" Force Organization Chart as presented in the rulebook and add in a Seer Council as well if you want to. The "special" detachments presented in codices aren't required to play a faction- they're just an alternate way of doing things.

Slimnoid posted:

God dammit.

Edit: Also, Purgation Squads. They worth their points?

They're not great, but they're not awful. Inside a transport they do alright, and if you ally your GK with someone else that can get Drop Pods for them to ride in (i.e. BA/SW right now) they can be fairly dangerous with all of those Incinerators.

• Locked thread