Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Resto kits are better for when med kits bug out and stop working. :soe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Periphery posted:

Which is better: Vanguard or Prowler?

A competent, self-aware player. Vangaurd :ssh:

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Today, a grand total of 2 high-altitude reavers kept the VS air warpgated on amerish. And literally all of GOKU can't dogfight to save their lives, myself included :smith:.

Massive one-shot-wonder A2G scythe-balls or don't pull scythes at all.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 15, 2014

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

vigorous sodomy posted:

GOKUs schtick is magburner bowling bushwookies :shrug: If you were to TK one of them and besmirch their precious KDURRRRRR they'd call down a bloodhunt. Vanu forbid one guy do whatever he wants in his game. It's not like the 110 other VS players in a hellzerg can take the hill!

This is true. Goku is a TK happy zergfit full of mad bads and a bad rep. They're not even part of ION.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Hey, :soe: just released a bunch of tips for earning lots of points and ways to maximize your spm! They also indicated that people who play with their outfit earn 50% more exp than soloing.

So here's a list of the best, top scoring outfits in the game! Maybe they're recruiting?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

Thread needs less people spergin over numbers and more people postin gifs of sweet pr0 shots

http://www.gfycat.com/ShortTerrificLaughingthrush

How do you make gifs from stuff?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I use prox chat to screech to other medics for revives like everyone else.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Dreadwroth posted:

Any sweet ops on the ZFreedom side tonight? EDIT: Hoooly poo poo there are like 5 people on the freedom mumble right now, where is everyone?

In bed is my guess. What is this zfreedom stuff?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

vigorous sodomy posted:

Ugh, the Butcher? Not a :rolleyes: big enough.

If this isn't big enough for you, I don't know what is.

As to the name, whatever. It's just a name.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 24, 2014

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

God, that test helmet is uggo. I have PTS updated too, but I can't give enough of a poo poo to try for that dumb helmet.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

McKilligan posted:

So, I got kind of bored today, and I always thought that the 3 sides were kind of...samey. A few minor visual differences on largely the same bodies (which I understand, got to leave room for the cool $$ unlockable armour and have them similar enough that they have equal appeal) but anyway, I figured that I'd do a few quick concepts to see if I could come up with something interesting for each of them.

I made the NC a bit more like the NCR, more 'Freedom fighters' with a bit of individuality, duster jackets, etc. Replacable armour sections on the heavy maintain the bulky, 'square' theme, but make them more distinct. I dropped the whole corporate aspect, since freedom fighters making do with more limited means is more interesting to me. They're using older armour and tech, but lookin' fly as hell.

The TR have always looked like bad guys, so I just rolled with it. Straight up sci-fi gestapo, sure why not. Their armour, in contrast to the NC, is much more form fitting and sleek, fitting the musculature of the wearer, the sort of thing that could only be produced by a hyperinflated military budget.

I always thought the Vanu were pretty disappointing visually. If they ARE meant to be subliminally controlled by alien overlords, then gently caress it, let's get into some transhumanism and evolve a bit. It would have been cool if higher-level vanu character had the options of new models that looked progressively more and more alien. I don't know if the big guy is a heavy or a Max, but I do think the tripod legs would be cool to see, and make sense for a heavy weapons platform.

Those vanu ones kick rear end. Those tripod legs give a very half-life 2 feel. I totally wish that vanu had more cyborg stuff like replacing arms with guns and freaky legs and other body enhancements. Especially with the MAXs.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

Generally how many shotgun shells to kill a max? I was running around with one as an LA yesterday and went all Rambo on a max and ended up getting him but I don't know how damaged he was prior.

You can test this out in VR...

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

OrangeSoda posted:

I used to run with GOON until I was removed for inactivity, which is understandable because I wasn't around for like, months. I got real busy with stuff. It was really really really fun! So maybe i'll do both.

No. Choose a family. Blood pact. Kill you if you leave.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Someone described VS MAXs at the time as velociraptors. I suppose that was accurate.

ZOE was great. I auraxiumed both my blueshifts and both my nebulaes because of it.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I've been putting off doing this post for a long time, But since I have literally nothing else to do right now, I'm going ahead and doing it now. 7gig firefall update is killing me.
---------

Infantry play got you down? Tired of being fodder for your platoon? Do you suck at FPS's as much as Alb? Just want to click heads and see certs? Want to play planetside2: easy edition?
Well then, Alb presents to you: Tree - OPs For the teamwork-hating, hide-and-seek / dishonourable-camper enthusiast!
This guide is for teaching interested goons on how to properly set up personal treecamps and decimating entire squads all by yourself!

:bubblewoop:TREE-OPS GUIDE:bubblewoop:

Tree-ops Fashion:
Most goons would say that camo in planetside has little to no effect in how visible you are. However, this is not the case for what we're doing. The effectiveness of this playstyle is heavily dependent on how well you can hide. Usually in trees or anywhere outside the average pubbies field of view:

When you do somehow end up in their field of view, you're going to want them to think that you're just a bunch of leaves or something. Definitely not a bad guy ready to shoot them.
Here's what Alb uses:

• Camo: Amerish leaf. A great green camo. Fantastic for almost all trees.
  • Decal: "Shank you very much: TR spy edition" Because gently caress you, got mine.
  • Helmet: Pretty much any hoodie so you can roleplay space Assassin's Creed.
  • Weapon camo: More of the same.

Tree-OPs Loadout:
Primary weapon:
NS-11c:
  • This is a good, all round carbine with few disadvantages. Can be used by all factions and is great because of its neutral white tracers and neutral sound effects.
  • Scope: 3.4x or 4x. Some of you may think this is a bit much, but trust me, it's not. More on this below.
  • Barrel: Suppressor! This removes weapon flash and prevents you from showing up on the radar for the enemies, both of which are highly useful for this playstyle. Also, this prevents you from being auto-spotted from people you shoot that have the awareness implant, effectively making their implant moot! This is absolutely required for this playstyle. You're hiding in a tree, deep in badguy territory. You don't want to show up to the enemy in any way.
  • Rail: Foregrip / Adv-forgrip. This one's pretty much a no-brainer. You're going to be ADSing and clicking heads.
Other, faction specific guns you could use:
  • VS's Pulsar C: Perhaps the most accurate gun in the game. Hits hard. Great at range. And it's free from the survey. 250 certs.
  • NC's AC-X11: Hits like a truck. A mini-SAW.
  • TR's AMC ##: Fast RoF. Huge clip. A small burst or 2 into someone's head means certs for you. Similar to NS-11c in terms of damage/RoF.
Suggested attachments are exactly as above for each of these weapons.

Secondary weapon:
You'll pretty much only be using your secondary weapon for when you run out of ammo with your primary weapon. This isn't a huge deal so you can pretty much put whatever you want here.
Good sidearms include:
  • Crossbow: Alb puts a 4x scope on this and a laser. Turn off laser with "L".
  • VS's Beamer: For lack of anything better.
  • TR's Inquisitor: Pocket carbine.
  • NC's Desperado: Hits hard and kills mans.
In any case, ALWAYS make sure there's a suppressor equiped on all your weapons! I don't want any of you whining about damage dropoff or velocity or whatever irrelevant nonsense. It's more important that you are concealed from the enemy! Accept your buckets of almost-free certs and DEAL WITH IT.

Suit Slot:
Ammo Belt: You'll find yourself running completly out of ammo and with plenty of easy target still under you a lot. You'll definitely wish you had this. Each level of this adds one extra mag to each of your guns.

Utility Slot:
C4 Boombooms: For those instances of when there's half a dozen unsuspecting certpeoples and/or MAXs right below you. Also, explosions are fun!
Why not medkit? Because if someone is shooting at you, it's already game over. It's more likely you'd be insta-headshot anyway if you got spotted. Accept your fate, respawn and find another perch.

Implant:
Default adv-targeting works just fine for finding easy targets. You may also consider sensor shield, but it may not be worth it since all it does is makes you not show up to radar darts while running (not sprinting), and you can already hide from them with crouch-moving anyways. Also it's a tier3 implant, so it's draining your energy extra fast. Sensor shield may help you with getting to your perch without getting spotted easier, but after you're there it's pretty much moot. Alb uses adv-targeting.

-----------
"ok, i have the stuff what do i do now?"
  • Find a tree with lots of bad guys under it! Try to get there without being spotted. Shooting your weapon is a great way of attracting unwanted attention, so restrain yourself until you're properly set up and hidden.
  • Great spots include places that are being camped. Such as teleporter rooms or spawns. It doesn't really matter if your empire controls the spawn/teleporter either, so long as enemies are coming out of it or are around it, you should be good.
  • The hardest part is getting to a nice perch without being seen. You will die a lot of times without even getting started. And there's a lot of fights where this tactic wouldn't even work! Don't let that stop you though! A big part of learning this playstyle is figuring out where the good spots are, as well as knowing when it's the right time to do tree-ops.
  • When you do end up getting into your special place and there's lots of mans running below you, take your time with your targets. Refrain from firing at sprinting targets. Watch them. Wait for when they're Aiming or standing still. If you shoot at someone who's moving fast, more of your shots will miss, and he's more likely to spin around and see where the shots are coming from. So, shoot at still targets, and in the head. It only takes a handful of headshots from an accurate carbine to almost-instantly kill any nonMAX man.

I may update this with a list of some of my favorite spots to set up nests. Stay tuned! :love:

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

I'm trying my best not to spend money but I really want coyote missiles. Are they as cheesy as people on the forums claim?

Don't listen to the insufferable airspergs. Coyote missiles make for easy, close range dogfights and pare up great with the PPA. However, default noseguns and rotaries beat it in TTK if you can land shots very well.

I think it takes 2 or 3 clips to take down an ESF. If they're running away or farther than 'close range,' the slow projectiles would make it very difficult to hit.

TLDR; Coyotes are for nooblord skypeople like me. Airspergs can still beat you with the default noseguns though.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

o muerte posted:

:siren: Public Service Announcement :siren:

The Angry Joe Army appears to be playing in force today

Found angry joe army:

e: JESUS CHRIST they really suck!

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 12, 2014

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Xae posted:

Shotgun buffs?

Oh my god, the infantry spergs are going to loving rage.

How dare a non-heavy class have a chance to beat one!

Where are you getting this?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

o muerte posted:

it's like rolling dice every time I see someone I want to shoot.

40k fans must be enjoying the game right now then...

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So apparently splash is now working in VR on test. So, um, how many years did it take?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I still have my VS dogtag from last year or so on my keychain.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Friendly reminder; Arghy lives in Hawaii (that place known for their great ISP selections) and plays on US east.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

I wonder if the striker is worth picking up as it'll apparently be changed in the near future and we all know how that's gonna turn out.

I expect it would be pretty good after the change. But right now it's just painful to use.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

Minimap chat

I use a fixed minimap so I can tell directions and such. I suppose you wouldn't need this if you're just solo pubbing.

I just with the little V shaped cone thing that represents you was instead a dot and a giant thin line indicating your exact facing.

In general though, I wish the entire UI was modifiable. Neverwinter and firefall do this, I know that. Planetside1's UI feels freer and less ridged than the planetside2 UI.

e: VVV- Assists are such poo poo in this game.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 29, 2014

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I played for about 20 minutes and I was able to kill 2 valkeries, one with NS-11c and another with the auto-shotgun, before I ragequit from the sprinting bug.

I guess this pretty much sums up this patch.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So VS directive weapons are the bees knees now what with heat mechanics and whatnot?

Where's these patch notes? JK, found them :downs:

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I just realized the TRAP has access to 1x - 6x scopes while the phaseshift and railjack only have the 6x - 12x. What. The. gently caress. :soe:

Seriously I would loving kill to have 1x - 4x on my phaseshift.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Pand posted:

They broke the minimap. My motion dongs, useless!

They did something with it. I noticed that my crossbow detector darts weren't working at all.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Remember when we could hold continent locks for weeks and buzzcutpsycho would start his ops with "VS, tonight your gunna lose that lock" and we would hold it and he would say nerf ZOE?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Why doesn't anybody ever complain about the MAX charge ability not working 90% of the time?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

The valkerie is such poo poo. It's as fragile as an ESF, slower, and poop guns. The only redeeming qualities it has is that it's the cheapest air vehicle yet, and that it can spawn buddies on it if you get that upgrade. Before I ever even looked at the thing, I knew that the rumble seats were going to be poop. Seriously, is the rumble seat fun/useful on the harasser? Is it fun/useful on the flash?

Valkerie needs buffs. Hell, rumble seats on all applicable vehicles need buffs. But I think that the valk would be a whole lot more interesting if it had a phantasm module that allows it to go invis if the pilot is a cloaker. That would be fun and useful and balanced.

Speaking of rumble seats;

Why can't we hitch rides on ground vehicles like this? It doesn't have to be safe/useful IMO. It wouldn't even be hard at all to implement. AOE footzergs would love it for it's novelty.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 3, 2014

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Fierce Brosnan posted:

Sep 3
Daily sale: T5 AMC / AC-X11 / Pulsar C

All these are legit good. Except maybe the T5 AMC, it'd just an NS-11c with 5 more rounds.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

A2As really suck when you're trying to 1v1 someone competent for just that reason, the lock is super easy to break in a traditional honorabu hoverfight.

Not anymore. That bug was fixed. You aint dodging poop without flares.

I find it astounding that so many people abhor lock-ons yet at the same time refuse to use flares.

Horizontal Tree posted:

Its also ripped off of Twitch. They can't claim copyright on it.

Anybody can claim copyright to anything on youtube and get it removed weather or not they actually have copyrights to it. Hell, it's been happening automatically lately with music that people make and own themselves.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 4, 2014

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Horizontal Tree posted:

Its cause flares are nearly-useless utter poo poo, while fire suppression is actually useful.

Now see, this is what I don't get.

I understand that FS can be used whenever for extra health and all, while flares are only useful against lockons. By this logic, FS is useful in much more situations than flares, which are only useful in a few situations where ground or air lockons are present.

It's just that missiles hit so drat hard and FS heals only a little and only after a few seconds. You could say that FS can help you survive one more lockon, but what if there's multiple missiles coming at you? Not only that but getting hit still makes you vulnerable weather or not you can survive the missiles themselves. Flares straight up tell those missiles coming at you to gently caress off, and prevents lockons for another 5 seconds, every 25 seconds (max rank flares). Flares prevent that massive amount of damage from ever happening, as well as makes you immune to them for a while. Also it can be spammed more.

I'm not saying that FS < flares. I'm saying that flares aren't garbage. And for the record I have max rank of FS and flares and have used both extensivly on my scythe. Right now I almost exclusivly run with flares. I guess it might just be a preference thing?

e: Then again, I don't do nearly as much hounerabule skye dueles as you and mostly ground pound with PPA and coyote away at the occasional dogfighter. I suppose FS would be better against the one guy using A2A missiles instead of flares....

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 4, 2014

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I have no shame.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Gazaar posted:

They should've added the phantasm instead of the valk as an NS vehicle.

No, they should give the valk a phantasm module.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Apparently my shotgun stole one too many kills away from a fellow goon while guarding a door to a generator, because I was summarily executed during a lull in the fighting. :allears:

I should get around to putting my alt in GOKU. It won't keep me from getting TK'd by fellow goons, but at least they'll be doing it out of love a different kind of hatred.

I've never heard of a GOKU TKing someone for killstealing.

A goon killing another goon for killstealing is all kinds rude.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Remember the 3 month content freeze when SOE was optimizing their game?

Isn't it about time for another content hiatus? :shepface:

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

o muerte posted:

One of the big things with VS/TR guns from a goon perspective is that a very large number of VS goons aren't good enough at aiming to actually use the VS trait well. The VS trait being more accurate sustained bursts and faster reloads. If your aim is poo poo to begin with then obviously the faction trait of "well our bursts go where we point them for a longer period of time" is going to be useless. When you compare that to "gently caress it, our faction trait is more goddamn bullets" you can see how players who can't aim would think that TR are RIDICULOUSLY OVERPOWERED compared to VS.

Wait, are you saying that TR guns are actually balanced? Compared to VS? Seriously?

Link your quotes, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Pand posted:

Holy poo poo they fixed splash in VR on test! Oh yeah also the new striker is on it.

Functional VR splash is also on live! :dance:

and it only took them a year and a half to get around to it too

• Locked thread