Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

I didn't see anything on the recent IP issues. Can we just not handle iP threads anymore.
Pretty much, from what I saw in the last two, you've basically got a majority who support Palestine (to varying degrees, but the general consensus is that Palestine is hosed), a few who ardently support Israel, and it becomes a slapfight back and forth since no one's going to change their opinion. Oh, and Nazi comparisons; that's usually when the thread is finally closed/gassed.

You've also got a few people willing to effortpost on how everything got so hosed, which was really informative and the best parts of those threads to me. I'd like to thank those effortposters for doing that, I basically knew fuckall about I/P before that.

Oh, and one other part of I/P: the reason the super crazy parts of the Religious right support Israel so hard is because they think that by supporting Israel they can force Jesus to come back and kickstart the Apocalypse/Rapture. I will repeat that fact as much as I can, because holy poo poo there is not a :stare: big enough to describe my face when I learned that.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

XyloJW posted:

Back when the internet was young, I found a website selling exotic meats. It was a plain html website with just the choices of meat, a description, a picture, and "email for price and shipping information." Buffalo steaks and buffalo burgers at the top, then ground emu chuck. Then lion steaks and lion ribs. Hippo steaks and hippo roasts. Ground giraffe meat. And at the bottom, "We have acquired an elephant. Transporting elephant meat is illegal in many countries, so please verify that you have a way to receive it before contacting us. We will cut to specification."
Buffalo Burgers are goddamn delicious. It literally tastes exactly like a hamburger except it has less fat and less calories. We need to stop raising cattle and start raising Buffalo. It seems like there used to be huge herds of Buffalo in America, more than you could ever need, what happened to them? Oh, right. They were a big Native American food source, and we can't have that.:911::smith:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Why was Pikachu the Japanese national team's mascot again
The little yellow rat remains very popular as the franchise mascot of Pokemon. Now why they didn't choose Charizard/Greninja given that both are just as popular and actually useful is a very good question.

But then :japan:.

Hey, now that Kurdistan's going to be independent there's a whole new "-stan" for Herman Cain to not care about. Too bad he's not going to be running again.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Crosspost from the US politics thread, because this is probably better here:

Joementum posted:

But the funniest thing about Santorum's movie company is that it was co-founded by the owner of an anime production company and the two businesses share office space.
:roflolmao: Ahahahahahaha holy poo poo this is funniest hypocrisy I've ever seen! EchoLight's co-founder is Gen Fukunaga, aka the president and CEO of FUNimation. That means that the money for Santorum's films is coming directly from not just DBZ, that violent, unwholesome children's show where God is just a green alien (and not very strong at that), it's also coming from other violent and/or sex filled Funimation licensed shows such as Future Diary, Deadman Wonderland, Black Lagoon, and loving Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt:

Rick Santorum's income posted:

The show revolves around the exploits of the Anarchy sisters, Panty and Stocking, angels who were kicked out of Heaven due to their bad behavior.

[Panty] does not take her Ghost-hunting duties as seriously as her sister Stocking, instead preferring to fulfill her personal goal of having sex with one thousand men on Earth before returning to Heaven.

Whilst [Stocking] doesn't have the same level of interest in sex as her sister, she does show sexual urges and interests, and is generally more interested in masochistic activities, such as bondage and electrocution.

[Garterbelt] relays missions from Heaven to Panty and Stocking, and is constantly annoyed by their erratic behavior and lack of commitment to tasks at hand. Though vocal about keeping order in Daten City, he practices bondage and displays interest in young males, particularly Brief, and uses a masked alias called "Master G" to disguise himself while undertaking such hobbies. In his youth, he was a brutal thug who committed a wide array of crimes including robbery, prostitution, selling drugs and murder.
Seriously, the show reads like a checklist of something designed to make Santorum break down in horror and declare America's morality dead; it's literally the antithesis of everything he believes in. And yet, he's apparently just fine with getting money from it, so enjoy your smut money Ricky.:allears:

And yes, anime trap sprung. I haven't actually seen Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt though, I'm just aware of it being an insanely raunchy show, which makes it so funny that it's funding something Rick Santorum's doing.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

illrepute posted:

So what's the endgame of the d&d chat thread, anyhow? You've gotta know we're just going to turn back into LF and march on the rules thread before getting banned to the last poster.
And what's wrong with that? Even if that happens, it'll be a fun ride all the way there. Besides, I never got to see LF in it's prime firsthand.:getin:

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Panty & Stocking is sort of like an anime Robot Chicken. I guess I have to vote for Rick Santorum now that he is cool. :shrug:
Yeah, I'm well aware the show's satirical as all hell; Santorum's chronic inability to get/take a joke has been plastered (you might even say splattered:v:) all over the internet thanks Dan Savage and the greatest troll ever, so more jokes at Santorum's expense are always good.

Seriously, the fact that that Santorum's "Google Problem" was actually relevant to his presidential campaign is absolutely loving hilarious, you can't get much more famous or national than that.:allears:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Deadulus posted:

But, my question has more to do with the period between the civil war and WWI.

The main thing we got from the inter-war period was nothing much happened, but a few great men made some companies and then we had a big war in Europe.

Is this normal in a lot of high schools? I am wondering because it just glosses over all labor disputes of the period.
Yep, history always seemed to go up to the Civil war, skim Reconstruction, then nothing happened until WW1 (specifically Lusitania sinking->US entry), skim the Roaring 20s/the great Depression, then WW2. I finally got a more in-depth look in College, where I basically figured out that my history courses followed the same path each time: "Columbus, the Colonies, the Revolution to the Civil war, then the parts where America is the good guy."

gently caress, I don't think I even got to the Civil Rights era most of the time, because apparently learning about how loving great the founding fathers were for the fifth time is more important than stuff that actually affects our day-to-day lives.

On the plus side, I finally got to see Slavery by Another Name in College (pro-click, seriously, go watch it), which filled in the conspicuous gaps in my history knowledge.

This lead to my second revelation: "Pretty much everything I learned back in Elementary/Middle/High School History was sanitized, propagandized bullshit."

I cannot emphasize enough how much of a pro-watch Slavery by Another Name is, it really explained to me exactly why race relations in America were/are hosed, and connects the time between the end of slavery and Civil Rights in the sixties as not two separate events, but the same event fought for over a hundred years.

I cannot thank my teacher enough for showing that film, it will likely stick with me for the rest of my life.

E: I'd also like to note that this was Community College (also known as High School+) not University College.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 6, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
so rick scott is afraid of charlie crist's fan.

Like seriously, Rick Scott almost canceled the debate because Charlie Crist had his fan with him (aka the fan that he always has with him everywhere).

I'm gonna laugh my rear end off/drink Republican tears if this is what gets Crist the win in florida.

E:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/15/rick-scott-debate-fan_n_5993412.html

#fangate is now trending nationally, because america, and crist is already using it to fundraise
:911:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 16, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Eripsa posted:

So I'm suggesting we make rank and order explicit and give everyone DBZ goggles so they can tell everyone's power level. But not just as an absolute value: I'm suggesting that "power level" is a community-relative thing, and that estimations of power level must be indexed to community and scale for it to have the proper organizing consequences. Okay, so let's say we build such a thing, and now everyone uses them to organize.
This is a real thing that was posted by Erispa

he wasn't trolling, he posted it sincerely

the thing I'm most insulted about isn't that he wants a real-life DBZ scouter, but that he doesn't even say "scouter", he calls them "goggles".

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Swan Oat posted:

so what is everyone going to do with the extra hour tomorrow?
Watch Cooler's Revenge on Toonami (since I missed it the first time it aired).

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

visceril posted:

Highly recommend watching the Team4Star DBZ Abridged version. *in Dave chappelle's son's voice* its hil-are-ious
Already did, as well as all the rest of DBZ Abridged. It's kinda what's gotten me back into DBZ, and why I'm looking forward to watching DBZ Kai on Toonami.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

nutranurse posted:

She emphasized her booty, which is a distinctively black way of sexualizing your image. Unacceptable!

Space Dandy, King of the Booty posted:

See, if you're enlightened like I am, then you know the real show is down below: the booty, baby! That's where it's at! Nothing trumps the rump, my friend. Anyone who can't see that is either blind or a fool. That's why I say enough with this mass boob hysteria. It's time to set things right. It's time to give the rear end the respect it deserves!

Too many women have been wronged for too long! Like poor Agnes Lum, objectified only for her boobs! It's a crime, I tell ya!
I couldn't help myself.:haw:

Jagchosis posted:

it's very nice to know that my I/P thread isn't the worst thread in dnd for this brief, glorious, incredibly racist moment.
I'm a little surprised how (relatively) quiet it's been with regard to I/P; I would have expected Operation Protective Edge v2 to be starting by now given all the poo poo that's happened recently. Also MIGF somehow managed to make that thread unreadable even by normal I/P standards, I didn't think that was possible.

Thanks for putting my map in the OP, by the way.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Smelly & Poopy

With a very happy face

Solution to racechat is babies. Lots of single-child mixed race babies, so long as they remain only childs.
Fixed. Bullworth remains correct.:colbert:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm legit surprised a lot of Jewish holidays in America haven't been...I don't wanna say APPROPRIATED because that lovely connotations, but like, we have so many holidays that are just 'we're gonna get together, say a few prayers, eat something tasty, and chill (and usually drink a decent bit)' holidays, they're prime for people to latch on to as fun.

comes along bort posted:

not enough jews

blacks make up what 12-13% and we haven't appropriated juneteenth either

of course white america isn't going anywhere near that one for obvious reasons
Probably this. It's harder to appropriate Jewish holidays when there's no giant jewish-majority city with a jewish culture to appropriate from/imitate/blend in with.

By contrast, Fiesta in San Antonio has most definitely been appropriated by whites, and blacks, and asians, and everyone else who finds a giant two week long party fun.:toot:

I hope the Hispanics don't mind too much, since I love fiesta.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 28, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Gail Wynand posted:

Dr. Rockzo from Metalocalypse is some of the best anti-cocaine viral marketing I've ever seen by the way.
HE DOES COCAINE!
Seriously dude, a lot of cocaine.

Actually I think he's clean now.:v:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ThirdPartyView posted:

Being a paranoid schizophrenic?
If he is, he's an unmedicated paranoid schizophrenic. After all, Prester John posts much, much more coherently than MIGF. Hell, Koos posts more coherently than MIGF most of the time.:v:

content: Omega Ruby is hella fun.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 29, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm going on the record as thinking using gas to purge society of deviant and undesirable elements is bad.
But they're furries, they Nah, I don't feel comfortable joking about that even ironically.

There are hundreds of other ways to make fun of furries that everyone can laugh at and not worry about crossing the line. I can't really laugh at some dude intentionally releasing Chlorine gas, that poo poo can easily turn in Hydrochloric Acid in the lungs of anyone who breathes it in (this includes any bystanders to the attack as well as first responders).

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 8, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

paranoid randroid posted:

wouldnt chlorine mostly sink to the bottom of the stairwell
Eventually yes it would, and since it started on the 9th floor, anyone from floors one to nine is at risk of breathing it in while it's making its way down

E: it would also sit there at the bottom and be both a regular hazard and an asphyxiant hazard (via displacing all the oxygen)

chlorine gas is scary yo

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 8, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Ah yes, the unsullied racial record of the great state of Arizona.
Hey now, the northeastern part of the state had an excellent record up until 1864.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Walk_of_the_Navajo
Then the whiteys hosed it up for four years, and Navajo have had to spend the last 140-odd years from 1868 onward un-loving everything.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Jagchosis posted:

China claims that it harms the psychological and physical health of young people and that it damages the fabric of society.
Someone should tell the US evangelicals that they're on the same side as the chinese communists

and the taliban

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I know there are threads, but... where... do I start? You know?
Here's a nice TL;DR for you:

Joementum posted:

Hillary is going to get the Democratic nomination and the GOP field is wide open right now with every current and past Senator and Governor a candidate.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Jeb Bush in the GOP corner and probably Hillary in the -D. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz will poo poo it up and be glorious. Democratic candidates could be Diamond Joe or Warren but I really don't know.
I'm not sold on Jeb Bush just yet, and he's got a lot of competition. In addition to Paul and Cruz, Rick Perry is going to try again, Rick Santorum is gonna try again (and probably bring up gay marriage when every other candidate would like him to please shut the hell up about it) Mitt Romney is gonna try again, Chris Christie is probably going to try, and here, have a nice fun image of what a clusterfuck it is:

The 2016 Republican primaries are gonna be a loving hoot, just like 2012.

And yes, that is Mitt Romney leading the pack. Yes, the dude who lost with 47% of the vote.:allears:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

To be honest, I'm still kind of amazed that we have a President named "Barack Hussein Obama".
No matter how much the Republicans whine and scream, as of January 2017 a Black Man named Barack Hussein Obama will have served a full 8 years as president, and there is nothing they can do about it.

Oh, and he killed Bin Laden.

I even get to watch Republicans try "the 90's redux" as a political platform in 2015/2016, complete with Monica Lewinsky, Vince Foster, and cattle futures. Oh this poo poo is gonna be so much fun.:getin:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
had a great new years

San Antonio loving loves its fireworks, so at 11:30 pm I walked up the block and basically got to watch a live, hour-long fireworks show.

At least three parties/gatherings all got together at 11:55 PM and set up a huge things of fireworks in the middle of the neighborhood intersection, (some idiot wanted to drive through so they had to move some fireworks temporarily) then lit them all just before midnight, there was a dude counting down and everything.

poppers, screamers, roman candles, black cats, M-80s, aerial repeaters, every kind of firework you can imagine, it was loving great. the king was a firework called a "world changer", it was big box that looked more like a bomb than a firework, but it went off perfectly and it was great.

Everything went off and turned bright as day and was loving amazing, best fireworks show I have ever seen. I love my city.

Happy 2015!:toot:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Whatever happened to Mario Cuomo?
he's playing golf with his brother luigi

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Cheekio posted:

It's not as much fun when you grow up and weird people are actually just autistic/retarded.
One thing I've learned about the internet: if you have to ask, the answer is always Autism.

To be fair, Newton was probably autistic as well, and the random crazy dude screaming about demons and hearing voices in 15th century Europe probably just had untreated schizophrenia. The weird people have probably always been autistic/retarded, it's just that we're finally figuring out that there's a name for it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

for example an atheist with a jewish background is called a Reform Jew
Pretty much. No worries about kosher and sabbath stuff, but you can still hate the Nazis.

"Besides, don't forget: I'm Jewish. gently caress the Nazis is a family creed."

E: Black Lagoon is a good show. My dad loving loved it, and said he wished he'd had cartoons like that 30 years ago.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 11, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

Now on cnn: white people discuss how to divide the Middle East.
Give it all to the Kurds. All of it.

Sharkie posted:

May Erishkigal have mercy on your shade.
Depends if it misses or not.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

What game is this?
Fire Emblem 7, aka the one with Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rygar201 posted:

Same here bro. I need to learn them fancy emulators so I can play the old ones. I've only got Awakening and DS Shadow Dragon
Use a flashcart like a real man.

Then load up a bunch of romhacks onto your flashcart and play them like real Fire Emblem games with no savestates. You haven't lived until you've beaten Hard Mode Ch 11 in FE6 without savestates.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Which Fire Emblem should I start with? Note: I want to enjoy it.
Either FE7, FE8, FE9, or Awakening. All are fun in their own ways.

Awakening is the most modern game, but playing it first and then going back to the GBA games makes it feel like a bunch of stuff is missing.

E:

Rygar201 posted:

Wait, like start over from New Game when you lose? gently caress that poo poo, I don't have nearly enough free time
Oh no, just restart the chapter if one of your units (or the guys you're rescuing) gets killed. This is harder than is sounds though, since you're relying on a couple RNG rolls to not kill Echidna before you can rescue her. And to not accidentally kill the two recruitable enemies before you can recruit them.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 12, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

Noted, thanks! I don't have a Gamecube anymore though; is there any other way to legally play 9?
I think it works on a Wii. (although you may not have a Wii either.)

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

The US will now be killing people in Iraq from 1991 till 2020 and beyond to ensure that compliant governments are available to sign oil contracts with Shell.
Depends on how soon an independent Kurdistan happens, because the Kurds would be loving overjoyed to sell oil directly to the US.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I've honestly never understood why Somalia was considered uniquely hellhole-ish, I mean it's not like there aren't hundreds of other places where civil wars are raging and there's basically martial law. Hell, that was true even before the Arab Spring and the conflicts in Iraq and Syria (and Libya and Yemen and Egypt) happened.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

kustomkarkommando posted:

The Somali Civil War has been going on for 24 years.

24 years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_conflict_in_Burma

Admittedly, a lot of the conflicts in Myanmar/Burma have started and stopped and restarted over the years, but it's been going on a hell of a lot longer than Somalia, and with a hell of a lot more people involved than in Somalia.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 12, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Exclamation Marx posted:

this is problematic.
what the hell happened to your AV

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

kustomkarkommando posted:

can someone start a thread were every post is that 30mb gif of a hill exploding in Syria so I don't have to see it every day

Badger of Basra posted:

also the maps of kobane
tell the Republicans shut the gently caress up about Obama and ISIL, problem solved :colbert:

yeah, I'll try to keep that stuff confined to the middle east thread, where it's relevant

Kurds are still awesome.:colbert:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

baw posted:

i thought it was good of you to pop into the USPol thread when the topic came up
Thanks. I hate that Republicans are just flat-out denying reality about ISIL, it's so goddamn aggravating

there's no one right answer to the Middle East, but they're not even in loving reality at this point

that's true for a lot of things, but this is the first time it's been about something I'm really familiar with

E:
this rules

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

Why aren't sporks more popular?
Spork is kinda jack of all trades, master of none

it's not the greatest as a spoon since there's holes in the spoon part

it's not the greatest as a fork since the tines are short and kinda flimsy

Metal sporks are more useful, but they're for like camping and poo poo, not disposable utensils

E: goddammit, beaten
Still, the answers are correct.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

nutranurse posted:

peshmerga's the better pvp guild tho
yeah but they've got that broken US air support, nobody else stands a chance

Also reaganbook/freedombook has apparently tried to relaunch for the the fourth time, but goons have spammed the poo poo out of it and brought it down in flames each time

It's still loving hilarious each time it happens.:laugh:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

aw mang, i missed the latest iteration of reaganbook :(
Actually I think it's still up for now (sort of).

http://www.freedombook.com/

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654079&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

nutranurse posted:

im 110% positive we'll have an indonesian lesbian muslim president before the US sees wide-spread interest in west african anything, hth
ebola:colbert:

• Locked thread