Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

pram posted:

hmm no

oh please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Metrication posted:

windows 10 is here with the furniture from the sims 1 for its icons:

what the gently caress is this. is ms purposefully trolling anyone with two working eyes here or is this guy in charge of icons?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I guess this is why MS is looking to hire more autists just to sit around and make sure basic poo poo is aligned and has vaguely consistent perspective

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

i know, right‽

there are worse things to be called

gonna miss his os x reviews :(

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Metrication posted:

lmfao

this looks so bad

still can't get over how bad the "computer" icon is

like fucks sake at least make the lines parallel if you're doing an isometric thing

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i still prefer process explorer

didn't that guy get hired by ms?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

on 8.1 this link immediately opens the metro app store

why

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Virion posted:

it doesnt need fans it already blows all on its own lol

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

same reason why windows "installs drivers" for every mass storage device you plug in
because of some lovely Chinese modem from 1998 that has a duplicate USB id?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the standard kalleboo/mroach lament was that all these defunct euro dumphone vendors made like one decent phone with good features but spread it out among a dozen kinda poo poo phones

the reason iPhone was the first good phone wasn't because it had all the features, but because it had most of them and there's not some ridiculous matrix of which model comes with which

the best was when they started referring to them by womens names. it was "less confusing" to call it wilma.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

MSE isn't entirely useless

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

univbee posted:

honestly if you're that serious about vidcons, the os you're running means gently caress all as long as it's not broken because when are you ever going to not be running your game full-screen anyway?

it does because os x vidya drivers are terrible and you can't turn off mouse accel

- posted from a mac you dumb fucker

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah that's in windows 8 as well and really annoying

i'm pretty sure the logitech software i use overrides that drat feature but every so often it appears to bother me

idk i got a little volume wheel on my kb and the win8 one is fine

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022186/Parallelizing-the-Naughty-Dog-Engine

tl;dw: real OS threads running on each core pulling fibers from a job queue

wow it's amazing what devs have to do to get modern games to run on poo poo hardware

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Last Chance posted:

loll
is that really a sonic game?
games suck

no, it's a shooter w/ mirrors edge movement + bhops and airstrafes. it was a lot of fun but it's dead now because the matchmaking was trash.

http://gfycat.com/DaringFlamboyantAyeaye

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Stux posted:

lol if u think that out of all reasons is whya that game is dead.

it's probably the #1 reason it died on PC, still going strong on xbone iirc because they don't have anything else to play

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Stux posted:

titanfalls main thing was the movement stuff and it was outdone on that by two other major fps releases in the same year much aliek anyhting else microsoft comes up with.

actually theyrel; ona countdown timer so everyone gets to us ehte robots. except they're useless and easy to kill so just let it roam in AI mode. also if ur relaly bad the game is full of bots which its pracitically impossible to die to to grind ur kills up.

what other fps has better movement? AW? get real scrub. xbone has about twice the daily players as pc.

and letting your titan wander around in AI mode is dumb as heck, they are rly good when piloted and useless on their own. good to know you suck at games and posting.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

what happened to you

how do you move apps on an iphone

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

pram posted:

god imagine having to use a thinkpad. which is already torture. and then installing loving opensuse on it

i'm loving astounded anyone likes suse, ever

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i asked one of those dudes what company makes windows and he responded "windows"

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

url posted:

are you saying that thunderbolt is OSX exclusive??

are you really gonna do this.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Smythe posted:

ive 1 prigram installed m8, its steam

rly the only reason to deal with Windows anymore

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

howabout you eat my loving hairy rear end smthe, w10 is garbage for bitch idiot retards

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

REAL LIVE FOOTAGE OF SMYTHE READY FOR SATYAS TURGID MEMBER

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/nBwInkO.jpg :nws:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

can't wait for microsoft to officially become IBM by repeating os/2 warp

"but guys it runs all your windows apps!!"

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's a heat pipe, not a blinged-out water pump and fridge unit or something. Even game consoles and convertible laptops have those now.

yeah this, they're in literally every laptop and are incredibly reliable. it is pretty funny that a drat phone needs one though.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Linguica posted:

who are you arguing with now?

this post gave me great pleasure

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

what is it about bronies that makes them so viscerally repulsive. i have trouble putting it into words.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

so here's the problems that i've had simply trying to switch hard drives:

1. the cloning software that shipped with the device does not work at all. tried it twice and it gave an error about 3 hours in each time. tried to fix by running a defrag and turning off the page file as recommended by the help files, but no joy.

2. trying to boot into a CloneZilla Live CD did not work, instead it loaded some GRUB command-prompt with no apparent way to boot into the live CD app itself. no this was not a GRUb select screen. there is a bug i found from 2013 about this and the solution was to use the "alternate" ISO to burn the Live CD which is Ubuntu based rather than Debian based.

3. a third app also failed because it was unable to even detect the target disk, whether installed via USB adapter or internal SATA.

4. tried cloning with other software and that did not work. one partition was not copied over for some unknown reason when clicking "copy selected partitions" in Reflect app. even when free space was available, it said "insufficient space". the partition was successfully copied only when i used drag-and-drop on the partition instead of the button that did the same thing.

5. I wasn't able to boot from a USB and just install windows fresh, perhaps because MicroSDs in MicroSD-to-USB adapters are not DOS-bootable?

6. my entire computer is permanently hosed. i can't just boot my computer anymore. 9/10 it just stalls before the hardware is even initialized and i perform weird voodoo to try increase the odds. currently the best strategy is to swap the RAM sticks or take one out completely which makes it boot up 1/2 the time, but that's after waiting 5 to 10 minutes. i wanted my computer to boot faster but this is entirely negated now by this weird waiting game/ritual process where i can spend 20 - 30 minutes just waiting and crossing my fingers or tinkering to get it to boot.

7. all games crash now on startup. yes, even after all this. after finally succesfulling cloning the drive and getting the drat thing to boot, i CANNOT PLAY A THING BECAUSE EVERY GAME CRASHES. in some cases the whole PC crashes and i have to do the stuff described in problem 6 again. i don't know why Chrome doesn't crash. wtf.

8. windows now thinks it's Windows to GO (live USB version of windows 10). every time i boot it says "don't remove the USB", but i have no USB inserted. it started doing this half way through the process when I was till on the HDD.

say what you want about "it's not microsoft's fault" (lol) but this is likely several different failures, some of which the fault of the SSD manufacturer, some of which the fault of the white label software used in the shipped cloning software, some the fault of the copper supplier of the motherboard. but i don't buy it that when i use a PC i have to enter a "reality distortion field" where no one can be held responsible for poo poo hitting the fan but the consumer who spend their money and time doing everything the instructions said.

flatten and reinstall, stop posting

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

why does the theme change the button to Update instead of Sign In?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

tons of them already come with a factory recovery partition (including macs), they would essentially just be hosting that on a server somewhere and preloading the url into UEFI. doesn't seem that hard.

e: or even just having a flash chip on the board with the install image. how much is 8GB these days?

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 14, 2016

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

either option would cost money and their margins are razor thin, thats why they use the basically free partition option. who cares if it's useless when the hdd inevitably dies.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

oh dear

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

anthonypants posted:

you can go into the power options and tell it to disable wake timers or try this in a powershell window [System.Windows.Forms.Application]::SetSuspendState([System.Windows.Forms.PowerState]::Suspend, $true, $true);

what the gently caress is this garbage syntax, that's worse than obj-c.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

it'll run through the win 10 install process then ask for your credit card at the end

if you decline then it'll take several hours as it restores windows 7 only to fail completely, leaving your computer unbootable

its this one

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

don't use this word

that's retarded

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i use the windows phone 7 sms sound on my iphone cause it's nice and i've never seen a single person with one. thanks ms.

edit: link to m4r if anyone wants it. it's gr8. short and super recognizable.

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 21, 2016

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I thought everyone just used paint.net anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Call Me Charlie posted:

surprised they didn't go with msnbc gaming live

for windows with pLuS pack!

• Locked thread