Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

DEMOCRATIC POSSIBILITIES

Listed in alphabetical order with their most significant political achievement.

• Elizabeth Warren, Senator from Massachusetts

PEOPLE WHO ARE DEFINITELY NOT RUNNING OR ARE THEY!?!?!

Well, which is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The problem the right runs into is that Romney is one of very few potentially electable people they have. They have a poo poo load of crazies and really old fucks and then bland, inoffensive, white bread R-Money. While the crazies are all cannibalizing each other Romney is just kind of hanging around, not doing much remarkable other than occasionally saying something dumb. Of course, the major issue is that, like you said, he already lost once. The Democrats would need to gently caress up hard to give Romney a win.

What if Cuomo were to run as a Republican?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DOOP posted:

In this clownshow of a GOP primary, I realized that I miss Herman Cain. Like I unironically miss that man and wish he would re-enter. He just really wanted to be the Pokemaster and I appreciate that

Someone post smile.gif for me tia

Me too. :sympathy:

It's not going to be the same with Stewart leaving and Colbert gone, anyway. End of an era.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Iowa Snow King posted:

No way would Bill have the bad taste to gently caress Ann Coulter

Caros posted:

Speaking of skeletor, are we allowed to make fun of her physical appearance now that she's gone on record saying her immigration plan would: ‘Not Admit Overweight Girls’? Or is that still uncouth? I'm asking for a friend.

She also refused a hug from an immigrant woman which prompted the whole thing.

I'd say it's best to focus on the shittiness of her opinions rather than her looks. There is plenty of the former, and the latter is in bad taste, with a whiff of implied misogyny. :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cigar Aficionado posted:

So what cabinet position is O'Malley angling for? State? Defence?

Education.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

More White Noise posted:

Bobby Jindal is announcing on June 24.

They're gonna need a bigger primary.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PupsOfWar posted:

Require candidates to cosplay.

Require candidates to pass Voight-Kampff test.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

realclearpolitics is going to have to make their table larger to fit in all the candidates lol

They might have to opt for a 3d bar graph.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pillowpants posted:

Josh Brolin as Rick Perry
Donald Trump as Donald Trump
Vincent D'onofriio as Jeb

That's all I got. It's so hard to remember all these guys.

Aidan Gillen as Martin O'Malley

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

He's not doing himself any favors getting Ed Miliband as his foodie-double:

(there's a wikipedia article about it!)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake Britain :cripes:

Yeah, which thread was it where someone was complaining about how the American experiment has failed and we should give the UK a call?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah, the former pose is how you would rest your gloved hands on the operating table, and the latter pose is how you would hold your hands when you have nothing to rest them on. Hands can't go below the waist or above the shoulders, so you tend to get into these weird arrangements.

edit: former as in the one with the fingers down, latter as in the one with hands clasped

Is this something to do with surgery-room practice? Making sure you know where your hands are and where other people's hands are as you're moving around?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Does that mean his campaign is only subject to maritime law? Imagine the possibilities!

Danelaw, clearly. :denmark::hf::sweden::hf::norway:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheDisreputableDog posted:

The widespread and almost casual way wait times were covered up are certainly a systematic issue and emblematic of people's general fears re: single payer government run systems.

The people doing it were literally like "Well, this is just how you get wait times down."

Meanwhile - you have vets dying of cancer. Dead vets' families getting callbacks for appointment setups after they died.

Like, only a handful of people were actually fired because of it and a bunch of bonuses were still paid out. It's the biggest load of horseshit.

But sure, Obamacare is at a record low approval rating because republicans made up death panels one summer in 2009.

I don't quite see how Obamacare relates to vets` underfunded and understaffed single-payer healthcare, to be honest. You want to walk me through that?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I guess to avoid bringing down the level of discourse I should just be posting pictures of Hillary and Bernie making silly faces. Thank you for this lesson.

You could actually engage with the arguments and so forth instead of collapsing into victimhood the minute someone says anything snarky about your refusal to do so. Just a thought.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Obdicut posted:

See, saying poo poo like this just makes you look like a moron. You think it's a zinger, I guess, but it just leaves people baffled. You have all the timing of Rand Paul's cultural references--there aren't any pictures at all on this page, or on last page, so if someone wants to understand your 'joke' they'd have to flip back through pages to find that, yes, in amidst the discussion, there were in fact pictures posted of people looking silly at some point. Ouch! What a corker.

To be clear: I want you to keep posting. You make yourself look like a fool, by doing ludicrously stupid poo poo like citing an article titled Public to Supreme Court: Don’t gut Obamacare to attack Obamacare. Whether you're a troll, just an idiot, or actually a liberal trying to make the GOP look bad by making ludicrously weak arguments, please proceed.

This is not a helpful post.

ETA: Also, this specific area of contention would probably fit better in USPol than in the Primary thread.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 9, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I don't really think "one person said one snarky thing" is an accurate description of the last few pages, but okay, noted.

Just pick yourself up by your bootstraps and own the discussion by having the better arguments. Ultimately the trolling will fade away, and all that will remain is you being right, or at least that you gave a good game.

But again, this might not be the right thread for this, as ACA is less of a Primaries thing and more of a USPol thing, I think.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Obdicut posted:

For content:

Jill Stein is in 'exploratory' mode, with Cynthia McKinney looking like the only other Green in contention for the nomination. Is there any chance Stein doesn't run, and if so, why wouldn't she? She's not someone I can really figure out, nor can I figure out the Greens and their weird mishmash of valid positions and totally batshit views on science.

It's easy, actually: what did hippies believe in the 1970's? That's what the Greens stand for. Some of what they thought was good, some of it is terrible and outdated and counter-productive.

Do they even have a primary process, though?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Deep Hurting posted:

Watching Donald Trump debate Hillary Clinton would be the maximum combination of hysterically funny and unbelievably retro, like a scene cut from Back to the Future part II.

I see your bet and add: Trump v. Sanders.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

a shameful boehner posted:

On Ted Cruz's ring, obviously.

god i can't wait until i need a new avatar and namechange, i want to forget that boehner ever existed

Who do you think could replace :boehner:?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Feather posted:

Democratic partisans are pissing and moaning about Republican violations, too. It's one of the few cases where "both sides do it" is actually literally true. The other is "working for their corporate owners."

Kind of hard to make a fair comparison without knowing what the specific election law violations are. Is there a handy table somewhere?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Bernie already violated campaign finance laws as soon as he launched his campaign. He had Ben and Jerry's donate staff and ice cream, which are in-kind political contributions, and did not report them.

Any more coverage of this? Also, is there some timeframe within which you're supposed to report that he's exceeded?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Bernie gets asked about his dual citizenship with Israel, which he denies having. Time for Bernie Birthers! Bernthers.

I've been wondering when the tide might turn from "Standing with Israel is American as Apple Pie" to "Jews all have dual loyalties."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

grah posted:

As an employee of a semi-governmental agency which is also a Union Shop, I am super curious how this could even work at my job. Cause there is no way in hell my union would give these people union cards, like ever. So, how would they at all be sneaky?

Not to mention my job carries a relatively high risk of injury or death, so these people would have to be properly trained in the actual jobs they're pretending to do. So if you want them to also be snitches they'd have to have some additional salary, and our salaries are all a matter of public record. So they'd technically have to have 2 jobs or something? I don't even know how this would work but I do know it would be an expensive as hell program to attempt to run, and that like most spiteful things like this it would catch almost nothing.

Sort of like how our mandatory random drug testing catches < 2% of all people tested and almost all of them are for weed, since that hangs around in one's system the longest.

Just have a Political Bureau in every workplace, pay well for snitching, stage public trials for perpetrators and their families, and make sure the punishments are brutal. The Cheka/NKVD/KGB/Stasi had that type of thing set up for ages. It's not rocket science.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

No, it makes perfect sense. We'll improve government efficiency by hiring a bunch of extra staff who don't do anything productive so we can figure out which employees aren't doing anything productive.

Exactly! Together we will root out those wreckers, Comrade, for the glory of the US of SR!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bartlebyshop posted:

He reminds me of all the physicists I know who spend their days dealing with a bunch of particles that collectively all want the same thing and talk about how the economy and stock market just aren't that complicated, why haven't we just tried a flat tax yet?

Which physicists have you been talking to? Don't think I've seen a lot of libertarians in my department.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

No, sir, I do believe that it is this that is :sbahj:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Was just about to post this. On a forum with as long and storied history of cheap shots based on peoples' weight, I'd have thought more would remember the classics.

Just about to post that.

Instead, I will respond to

Joementum posted:

Lindsey Graham's choices for in-flight reading are not at all surprising. All of 'em, Katie!

with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KJSnd8VzQw

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr Hootington posted:

Nah there is. There seems to be a tendency to marginalize anyone not living in Los Angeles, New York, or any of the cities over 450,000.

There just aren't that many people in Iowa. Des Moines, your most populous city, has about 600,000 people in its metro area, while, say, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, in NY, have more than a million each, and they're not really big metro areas by far. Take all three of them together and that's more people than your entire State. And that's not counting anybody in between, not to mention NYC's metro area. If it weren't for land basically being given extra votes due to the US's strange make-up, nobody would think twice about what Iowans want.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Supraluminal posted:

Which is a pretty lovely attitude. People living in rural areas shouldn't get economically and environmentally hosed over for the benefit of people living in urban areas who are to ignorant or selfish to care. Everyone deserves a decent life and to be treated respectfully regardless of where they live.

Why should 3 million Iowans get more attention than 3 million Upstate New Yorkers, though? Iowa isn't the only rural area in the US, you know.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr Hootington posted:

Which is too bad. Then again I still haven't had all of my idealism beaten out of me.

It is a difference I see in the parties to. Democrats gently caress you and want to help. Republicans are nice to you, but gently caress you when your back is turned. Then again I'm a white male so my picture of things are colored a bit differently.

I'm personally happy that these circumstances mean you get to give us all of this interesting coverage of all the contenders, and thank you for doing that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Supraluminal posted:

Funny you should say that! I live in upstate NY.

They shouldn't get more attention. Everyone should get sufficient attention. You said:

Which is horseshit. People should think about what Iowans want, and about what people in upstate NY want, and what people in Atlanta want, and Santa Barbara, and North Dakota, and....

If all you're saying is that the primary calendar results in some weird-rear end distortions of American politics, I agree with you, but this discussion started getting a lot more general than that.

Then I misspoke. I meant they shouldn't care what they think just because they happen to be Iowans and therefore their votes matter more than mine or yours.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Concerned Citizen posted:

You could just re-run the election without electronic voting if it really wasn't repairable.

Or, you know, you could have a mostly manual system, like today, with a lot of in-person oversight, and not a lot of single points of failure, so at most you have to recount or redo a couple of districts.

Do you even understand the kind of mess that re-running an election would entail? And that's assuming people actually detected the fraud.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Iowa Snow King posted:

Do you mean perennial or did I just miss the joke?

It obviously means that O'Malley will forever taint the VP nomination.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ErIog posted:

One of the interesting bits of the "Dean Scream" story is that it demonstrates how far CNN has fallen in terms of credibility. They actually publicly apologized for focusing on that story so much since it turned out it was entirely a creation of the media. No way CNN would apologize for all the lovely reporting they do today. They'd have to give the ombudsman their own show just to handle it.

I thought that's what The Daily Show was for.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

But they've got Fox news as well! To much terrible opinion dressed up as 'reporting' for one show?

Tea Culpa, a morning show where CNN anchors are roasted by their colleagues for reporting SNAFUs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Peacheshead posted:

Seriously, is there any chance of Joe Biden running? Who keeps deciding he should be included in polls?

Joe Biden should be Vice President for Life.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

Following in his father's footsteps as "The Education President."

Is our children improving their performance metrics?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

NinjaBucket posted:

I decided to run ... no idea how or if it's too late ... making it up as I go just like the rest. If I end up on the news that would be funny, pretty sure I am going to win though.

[redacted]

I'm pretty absolutely sure that fundraising for your political campaign, as misguided and futile as it may be, is a big no-no.

I am hoping that this warning, coupled with redacting the links to the fundraising page, will suffice.

Please don't prove to me that hope is a mistake. :redhammer:

In future I would strongly suggest that you run this kind of cockamamie scheme by the mods before posting.

This has been your draconian mod action for today! :tipshat:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So did he declare or not? Also did he finish a sentence or an idea?

:suspense:

• Locked thread