Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

This isn't even remotely true, excuding the inital Xorn reversal pretty much everything else has stuck and with the exception of Bendis (and only because I quit on his run) pretty much every main X-Men writer has said Morrison has been their main influence.

I disagree. With "no more mutants", Marvel editorial completely abandoned the basic premise of Morrison's X-Men run. Instead of mutants being on the verge of inheriting the earth from humanity, they became a doomed and irrelevant offshoot. No more school, no more Mutant Town, no more futurism. The X-titles still haven't fully recovered from that move.

Panel tax:

Spidey Hostess ad from March and April 1976 cover date Marvel titles. Cap ad from July and August 1976 titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Can we post more Rockslide panels, please? I like that issue of Avengers Academy where the Jean Grey School comes over to play football, where he pranks Mettle a bit.

I did a readthrough of New X-Men volume 2 recently, and I was tempted to post every panel of Rockslide dialogue as I went along. Maybe I'll go back and find some decent ones to post.

Avengers Academy #38

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

His Rambeu wasn't even that bad, just obviously a white chick he gave dark skin.

I like how Al Ewing took a dig at Land for this as soon as he left the book.

Mighty Avengers #6

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Let's just bring back classic Marvel naming conventions and call him the Black Spider.

World War Hulk: Aftersmash! - Damage Control #2

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Almost as bad as the Barracuda spinoff of Ennis' Punisher MAX series. I honestly think Ennis had a bet to see how many derogatory terms he could fit into an unrestricted book - "shine" even made an appearance.

The difference being that Dwayne McDuffie was doing a parody and wasn't a white guy with Tourette's. He also famously wrote the Teenage Negro Ninja Thrashers proposal after Marvel debuted a bunch of black teenage superheroes who all had skateboard-based superpowers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INH2eis_Hlg

I wish he had done a lot more Damage Control than he ended up doing before he died.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

My brother bought me a volume of ww2 era Wonder Woman stories.

Do you know what issue of Sensation or Wonder Woman that's from?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if you were thrilled with any part of the boys please don't share it with others

I was thrilled with all the parts he stole from Marshal Law.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Nah, the best is when he turns Mac Gargan into a super villain.

I love Ditko’s version of the characters.

For real, except I was going to say the best is the first Spider-Slayer story. I can’t remember where I read it, but somebody once wrote somewhere that that was really the apex of Ditko’s run instead of The Final Chapter, because that story just puts all the Bugle characters in a room and then their personalities drive the whole plot. Jonah initially dismisses Smythe before Peter’s hubris lands him in a world of poo poo.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

What kind of maniac wouldn't share the cover from the first issue?

I actually had a copy of this many years ago. It lies slightly - the cameo is Donatello only, if memory serves, but he is actually drawn by Peter Laird. He gives Punky Future Shades there directions and comments how nice pre-teens are these days.

What I really like about that cover is that it’s a riff on a specific panel from the first issue of American Flagg, which was a fan favorite BITD. The first nine issues or so of Flagg are really good (and then the series loses energy/the joke gets old after that).

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I always liked this moment from early in the Five Years Later run of Legion of Super-Heroes.

A little later...

Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #2

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Metalshark posted:

All-New Wolverine #31 is a glorious Honey Badger, Jonathan and Deadpool team-up one-off:

I had to do a web search to figure out what the heck that animal was supposed to be. An otter? A giant ferret? Nope, it's a wolverine. Kind of makes me sorry that I'm not reading All-New Wolverine now.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Sounds like I remember that part of it better than it was. I remember really liking that the series ended with them rescuing a friend as opposed to the big battle with the ultimate bad guy, which happened in the penultimate issue from memory but I can also see how that would have pissed off a lot of people.

That just seems kind of derivative to me, considering that Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol run ends the exact same way. I wasn’t impressed by the last few issues of Planetary either.

Edit: Don’t mean to dump on Ellis too much here. I endorse the themes of Planetary and culture is a continuum we all share, etc. My av is from a Weisinger era Superman comic and I have it saved on my hard drive as Barbelith.jpg.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 27, 2018

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

This one requires a bit of explanation, but thinking about kid inappropriate moments in early Eighties superhero comics reminded me of the time my mom decided she needed to censor a Firestorm comic I was reading:

Imagine "darn" written over each of those "damns" in pen so it reads DARN! DARN! DARN!

Unfortunately, I got rid of a lot of comics over the years, and I wish I'd kept this one in retrospect. I was a four year old reading this comic when it came out that month. Good job self-editing there, Gerry Conway.

(The Fury of Firestorm #17, approved by the Comics Code Authority and cover-dated October 1983.)

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

eatenmyeyes posted:

I just read the first issue of Snagglepuss.

I assume this is the joke, in case someone didn't get the reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GG_Allin

I know about him mostly because he was locally infamous for taking a poo poo on stage and throwing it at the audience at a concert here in Milwaukee.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Does this guy know how to party or what?!

Again, in case someone didn't get the reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRCTc6stICc

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

It looks like they're eating live alligators. Something with scales and little waggling legs. How close am I?

After you said that, I had to scroll up to see if they were eating Kleggs. Kleggs are anthropoidal alligator people from the Dreddverse that are known for being people eaters, with one exception:

(2000 AD Prog 1888)

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

prefect posted:

Now I feel sad. Tell me he winds up like Sobek, please.

I don't get the reference. Not Sobek the historical Egyptian god, I assume?

Sensitive Klegg eventually leaves Mega-City One and finds happiness on the stage.

(2000 AD Prog 1970)

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Secret Wars II, especially the issue where the Beyonder learns the facts of life after he gets taken in by a pimp and his stable of prostitutes. Clearly the Comics Code Authority people had completely stopped giving a poo poo by 1986. (Speaking of poo poo, the issue before that is the one where Spider-Man has to potty train the Beyonder.)

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I hate Secret Wars 2 because of how much it fucks with New Mutants, which at the time was the better X book.

I remember that there was some sort of weirdness, like they all technically were erased from existence by the Beyonder? I really liked the Sienkiewicz run, but I had stopped reading the book by the time that happened, so I don't know how that derailed it.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Honestly I like Man of Steel quite a bit. I thought Bendis' Batman dialog in the last issue was on point too.

There’s no way Batman would ever say “politest” outside of a Bendis comic.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

Took me years to realize that Marvel Team-Up and Marvel Two-in-One were really just "Spider-Man series #2" and "Thing spin-off comic".

On the other hand, when they cancelled Marvel Two-in-One to actually put out a solo Thing spinoff comic, it was pretty bad.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I enjoy Squirrel Girl, but the bottom alt text drives me nuts. I feel compelled to stop and read them all, but trying to make out that tiny light-colored print breaks up the page-to-page flow.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I love that for a hot minute in the 90s there were a bunch of characters that were supposed to be Constantine, but the powers that be at DC wouldn't let John be used. Characters like Rasputin in Firestorm (who serves an identical purpose as JC in Swamp Thing during the whole "Fire Elemental" side of his identity) or Willoughby Kipling in Doom Patrol.

Willoughby Kipling, who is 100% Constantine if he was played by Richard E. Grant reprising his character from Withnail & I.

(Doom Patrol #32)

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Why is Jimmy wearing his Flamebird costume instead of his Elastic Lad costume. The Flamebird costume doesn't stretch! My immersion is totally ruined. :argh:

He isn’t. That’s Sun Boy’s costume. Immersion restored?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Back when TSR Marvel Super Heroes came out, Spider-Man was ranked just below Thor and the Hulk in strength, IIRC. :colbert:

I don’t know about the basic edition, but in Advanced he’s only got Incredible strength and Hulk and Thor have Unearthly, three levels higher. Below them is Monstrous (strength like Thing) and then Amazing (which Spidey is not, in this case).

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

davebo posted:

Has anyone ever tried to hide doo-wop lyrics in comic panels? I'm imagining the gun on the right side going alang alang alang.

Yep. It was a running gag in American Flagg.

(American Flagg #2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQrQjNNZCAo

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Phy posted:

That is not the song I associate those lyrics with.

"Surfin' Bird" is a rip-off of two different Rivingtons songs, but maybe Chaykin was thinking of the Trashmen too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edYQiZxyw0I

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

10 Beers posted:

Yep! He got a regular cloth version from Black Cat and used that for a few years.

And he switched back and forth between the original and the black costume during that time, depending on which one was clean that day.

Amazing Spider-Man #269

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, when I was a kid the Supermobile toy was one of my favorite Hot Wheels, because it could punch my other Hot Wheels.

Same. I had both that toy and that issue of Action Comics.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I really like this interpretation of Shocker as one of those outsider artist guys. Is there a panel where she walks into his backyard and it’s full of concrete statues of cowboys decorated with pieces of beer bottles?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

goatface posted:

What if? vol 1 #4.

It's in the recap of the close of WW2 at the start.

That's actually Roy Thomas doing a callback to something that really happened in a Golden Age comic, because that's how he rolls.

From Young Men #24, the issue that began the brief Fifties revival of the Human Torch, Namor, and Captain America (the Commie Smasher version that was later retconned into being an evil McCarthyite imitator of the real Cap).

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

C.S.ed? Crowd somethinged? Curbstomped?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Oh c'mon! This is not even subtle.

It's an edit, that's why.

E: Actually, maybe I'm getting it confused with a Captain America/Iron Man panel? Sorry if so.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 18, 2020

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Also what Sportsmaster calls Alan Scott in James Robinson’s The Golden Age.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

There’s also Luma Lynai, Superwoman from another planet. She’s in the story with the famous panel where Superman tells Supergirl he would marry her if they weren’t cousins. (This during the era where Supergirl was about 13 years old.) Supergirl of course was Linda Lee.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

ManiacClown posted:

Didn't I see that Gerber killed the Elf off?

No, that’s not Gerber’s work. His run ended with issue 41.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

No idea which superman comic this is from.

Action Comics #1. Superman is intimidating a guy by carrying him around like a sack of potatoes. That first story ends on a cliffhanger of him making a jump to a nearby building with the guy and missing.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I Love Loosies posted:

How did that work? Did the story continue in the next issue? I thought Marvel invented that in the 60s

Yeah, IIRC it’s part of a war profiteer storyline that carries over to the next issue. I think that first Action Comics story is an amalgam of the sample newspaper strips Siegel and Shuster had lying around, so it doesn’t really have a traditional story structure. A bunch of things happen and then it just ends on the kind of cliffhanger a daily strip might have. I think they stop doing that after that first issue. Once they resolve the plot it’s just single part stories until sometime in the Silver Age.

There’s at least one other example of a multi-issue story in the Golden Age. The Monster Society of Evil storyline in Captain Marvel Adventures was a serial that ran for 25 issues with continuity and cliffhangers at the end of every installment.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

The timeline doesn't seem right. The first 2 issues of AC were published in 1938. Germany and the Axis weren't exactly sweet innocent little countries back then but WW2 didn't start until 1939.

It’s an imaginary, I think South American, country.

Edit: Another unfortunate time capsule thing is Superman doing “slum clearance” in an early Action Comics.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, I thought the heat vision was him focusing his x-rays or something, but I might be making that up.

You’re not making it up. They introduced X-ray vision first in the comics and then had him heating things by turning it up. Not sure when “heat vision” became a separate concept.