Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Yeah, I know that because that's what they told her when she couldn't pay her bills and a second job would have made her go backwards thanks to two-jobs tax.

Here is a fun Winz fact: if you have a partner who has a job and you don't, and you get a job seeker benefit, your partners job gets secondary tax and the pittance you get from Winz gets primary tax, because "thats just the way we do things".

But then, if your partner has a job chances are your combined income is above the threshold anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

-neutrino- posted:

There are good people at WINZ who do try to help. Also wankers as well, like anything.

Too much money tied up in Auckland housing for any real downwards adjustment unless a major disaster occurs (would be loving nice if one of the volcanos went active)

When I went in to Winz the lady took her time and helped me even though about half way through it was clear to her that I wouldn't qualify because of my partners income. My problem with Winz is the upper people who make the rules, not the day to day staff.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
So the National Library is being run into the ground by the people who run it. (Background - the National Library is a government run library that provides books to school teachers for use in class. Teachers can go into the library and pick out a whole bunch of books, or can email the library and ask for a bunch of books on a particular topic, which get shipped out to them at the librarys expense.) It seems like the people who run it want to shut it down, so they're changing things so that people no longer use it, and then use that as justification that people don't use it. Many new teachers don't even know the service exists, and its in the interests of upper management to keep it that way.
What they're doing is changing from sending out non-fiction, curriculum based books, to only sending out fiction, forcing schools to buy their own non-fiction resources (and poor/remote schools will of course by the hardest hit.
I have known people who work for the National Library, and this is just one last push in a concerted effort to shut them down. After the christchurch earthquake, there was pressure from the wellington based management to shut down the christchurch centre and put basically everyone in christchurch out of a job. The people who buy new books are idiots, and will buy a handful or none of books that their clients (the teachers) have actually asked for, and instead buy a whole bunch of 'classic' literature that nobody ever gets out. When it comes to 'weeding', which involves throwing out outdated/damaged books, the non-fiction is practically untouched and brand new fiction books get thrown out (although this may be more staff incompetence/indifference rather than policy).

tl;dr: The National government is putting yet another policy into place that will harm the school system.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Exclamation Marx posted:

also 200 Lyttelton Port workers are striking

Thats interesting, I was at Lyttelton today and didn't see any signs of a strike. Just a lot of pensioners (its pension day today) and a lot of dodgy driving.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
He reminds me of Jonah from Summer Heights High. "Puck you, sir" while smugly telling everyone he never said "gently caress you", but everybody knows what he means by it. Why do grown adults get away with this poo poo?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

G Hamilton really likes John Key and wants him to know.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

fong posted:

any bets on how long it takes for a new picture of John Keys with Brendon McCullum to show up?

McCullum did really well in the cricket today

Nah, someone in the young nats will just photoshop Key into a McCullum photo and release it on facebook as 'fact'

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Butt Wizard posted:

Running a party well means not allowing MPs to attend events celebrating people that they happen to think should have less human rights than others. Not sure what Alfred Ngaro was trying to achieve there, he's supposed to be building his profile in West Auckland. But it's something that should have been communicated from the party - or at least Nikki Kaye should have pulled them up on it. It reflects kind of badly on her for not doing so tbh.

If they are going to turn around and say "Yea, we were wrong about the marriage amendment legislation, it's a good thing and we should have voted for it" then there's no real problem with them going. But otherwise it's incredibly transparent.

E: Also, ATM vandalised in Ponsonby was by a group who wanted to protest against pink washing.

http://hashtag500words.com/2015/02/21/political-statement-regarding-vandalism-of-gaytm/

I thought that pinkwashing was making things pink for breast cancer, so was a bit confused by this. Turns out it is both breast cancer and LGBT related. (why not rainbow washing? who knows?)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I imagine that since the election, David Cunliffe has wandered the countryside in a torn suit, howling at the uncaring sky. He has dedicated himself to Aotearoa -his true love- and has cast aside the vicious 'Kiwis' who live upon her back.

Do you hear him? How he cries in the night.

He cries in the night when he thinks he is approximate to traffic. Or so he indicated in that interview.

Did he say 'when I am in proximity to traffic' and get misquoted?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Ask him what he thinks about the ethics of lying.
"When is it okay to lie to the public" is a question I would be interested in hearing him answer. Hearing other politicians answer to it would be enlightening too.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Is the joke here that this thread is so out of touch with the NZ population, we don't even notice that Dan Carter is not in fact Richie Mccaw?

I thought Richie Mccaw was the guy in the tie. Because he is rich

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Butt Wizard posted:

I'm cool with legalised weed but it shouldn't be something you can drive under the influence of or operate heavy machinery, etc.

I don't even know how you would measure that.

You could do some sort of empirical intoxication test (eg. walk in a line, follow something with your eyes) and give law enforcement the power to require you to take a blood test or provide a urine sample if they have enough evidence to suspect you are high while driving. A chemical sniffer would also be a possibility.

But in reality a lot of people will find ways to get around these or it will be so sparingly enforced that it'll be as widespread as drunk driving.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

NZAmoeba posted:

Still needs to be thinner, basically like Norway's

There are many ways in that it would be nice if NZ were more like Norway.

Norway doesn't have John Key.

IIRC the earth is red in Maori art because the pigment for red is readily available and also much more attractive than brown, as a colour.

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 6, 2015

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

A human heart posted:

So is city council recycling just not being recycled, or what?

IIRC they have serious contamination problems, what with people not being bothered to put the right things in the right bins. Some of the stuff you put in your recycling bin goes to landfill - I'm not certain how much.
Green waste /composting is another issue - they sometimes have trouble finding commercial buyers for the compost because the buyers are concerned about other rubbish contaminating the green waste - for example, in otago the big consortium potato growers won't buy the council green waste because someone once found a shard of glass in a mcdonalds chip and they reckon that might happen if they buy council compost. This greatly undermines the whole green waste composting idea.
Well, that and people putting anything from whole trees to dead horses in their green waste bin.

quote:

How are those figures arrived at? Were the council just like "welp, ya got us, we were just tossing all those cans out the back!" or what? It doesn't really make sense.
Probably. Pretty much all that sort of information is available to whoever does an official information act request to the council.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Xik posted:

There is a lot of rubbish surrounding the perception of recycling.

An Australian company is actually responsible for a good chunk of the Auckland council recycling contracts. I guess nobody ever thinks about it in this way, but the recycling business is actually extremely competitive. Think about the logistics of it, someone has to come to your door, pickup a bin of unsorted trash, spend ridiculous amounts of money on advanced sorting technology, then create a finished product that is good enough to charge money for (and be profitable).

Not sure how the data is wrangled to make up that chart, but it may have something to do with the fact that the end result of recycling in NZ is a product (packaging materials) that get sent overseas to international buyers.

Also fun fact: Those special "All Black" Anchor bottles are ridiculously difficult to recycle. Practically all sorting technology have an impossible time with black so they literally have people picking out those bottles by hand. No surprise that a campaign meant to inspire national pride is a loving disaster for our environment.

I dislike those bottles because they make the milk section of the supermarket look like a petrol station. It's like they were designed to look like motor oil!

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Wait I'm confused. Is Colin Craig everyone posting in this thread?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Milford is a piece of poo poo suburb populated largely by fossils waiting to die FYI.

I had no idea Milford was a suburb, I thought he meant he lived in Milford Sound.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Literally the most common request at any burger place anywhere in the world is "no pickles"

I don't want a pickle.

I just want to ride on my motorsickle.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm not saying NZ has no culture, only that the vast majority of it is athlete's foot.

Hey they produce a pretty good Blue cheese down in Otago.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

thepaladin4488 posted:

Merry Christmas everyone.
Be safe, every fuckwit with a motor vehicle is trying to drive somewhere at the moment.

I really don't understand how people manage to keep crashing. I drove past some vans the other day that just went around a curve too fast - the curve advisory speed was 85km/hr so they must have gone around it without slowing down at all.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
imagine the inevitable shitstorm that emerges when a high school teacher who doesn't understand the system themselves teaches a class that the labour party are all communists and the greens are hippies and you should all vote ACT.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Wow, I'm not sure wtf the wellington council was thinking when they approved that.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
There already is a channel just for men, its called C4 from midnight to 6am when they just show sex lines adverts.

Actually last time I actually saw that was over a decade ago but I assume it still exists.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Somfin posted:

And of course switching between governments not based on who has the best policies or will actually help things but on a vague and capricious idea of giving everyone a turn every now and again.

Seriously, one of my coworkers thought that the Republicans were gonna win the presidency in the USA because "The other guys have had a turn, and I reckon everyone's sick of them at this point."

I used to work with people who voted John Key in (the first time) for literally that same reason.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I just don't see what the Mannel has to offer that isn't available elsewhere. It kind of seems like a desperate grasp for TV to stay relevant in the internet age.

EDIT: Maybe they're planning on hiring Clarkson to be the face of the Mannel.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Trompe le Monde posted:

I flat in Parnell, I think I'll go out and scream wordlessly at some wealthy old people on the street. I can't get over the claims that this is a victory for democracy, how the gently caress does that work? I bet if you put it to a citywide vote most people would see the sense in increasing housing density and would vote accordingly; that would be an actual victory for democracy. Needs of the many etc. In any case I think people are too loving self-interested to be trusted with having a voice in the growth of a whole goddamn city especially when they have a vested interest completely counter to what is good for the city's future. I have bile in my mouth and a headache from reading some of the retarded opinion pieces that have come out in response to the council's decision.

I've noticed that there is a tendency for landowners to refer to themselves as 'ratepayers' and therefore they think they have more of a say in things the local and regional government does, because they pay rates. They think that democracy means democracy of the landed gentry only, which of course makes it... not democracy.

They're completely wrong, because anybody who lives in a house and pays rent pays rates, because they pay rent to the landlord, who in turn pays the rates on their behalf.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
So I know next to nothing about the flag design panel because I didn't bother paying attention, but is there any reason they picked that horrible shade of blue?

Every time I look at the fern flag that shade of blue jumps out at me like a tacky logo for a real estate company.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, he's not exactly among the intellectual elites of our society.

People brag on social media about committing crimes all the time. People are stupid.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I'm pretty sure women aren't dragged out into the street by packs of armed militants and raped and killed on the reg here in NZ, but I haven't been to Auckland in a while so who knows what that lot is up to.

Auckland is not yet a literal war zone so I'd say maybe its marginally better?

I've only ever been to Auckland once and we stayed one night in a backpackers next to the creepiest park in the central city that apparently people are regularly mugged and raped in.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Infotainment! posted:

He liked his own status. National party social media incompetence makes me unreasonably angry.

Apparently his 'speech' about the flag result was extended periods of "Is the mic live yet?" "No it isn't live" the mic was live.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Key had no plans to increase GST, it was more of a spur of the moment sort of thing because he hadn't thought through the tax cuts thing very well.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

504 posted:

Any of you gentlemen familiar with the TV3 show "Story"? I watch everything online and have literally never heard of it before today, the reason I ask is my partner has been approached by them to take part in a story and I'm VERY skeptical and suspicious of TV journalism.

She went through an extremely bad time last year and frankly I'm terrified they are going to pull a Paul Homes "questions designed to get her crying for ratings" trick.

Never heard of them. What are they offering your partner? If its just 'a chance to be on TV' I say gently caress it, not worth the potential stress.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

fong posted:

So it looks like WCC wasn't really considering making it illegal to give money to beggars. The report on the problem that they were considering actually only mentioned it based on similar campaigns in the UK, and said that it isn't likely to work. So there's a bit of speculation where the idea that it might be implemented even came from. Here:

http://wellingtonista.com/2016/04/08/beggars/

Without knowing what was actually going on inside WCC I suspect that the idea of fining people giving to beggars may have been brought up either by an elected member or by some member of the public who made a deputation to elected members about it. It could also have been an opinion of someone who works at the WCC but chances are SOMEONE has brought this up during some previous council meetings,and since it has been brought up it has to be addressed in the report.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

As I said, I don't have access to the full range of evidence, but generally the problem with sexual abuse cases like this is that they are, by nature, generally a private crime; and as such, the quickest and easiest way to defend them regardless of the truth of the accusation is to simply hammer the complainants until that doubt is introduced through natural human error, whether through stress, waiting a year to get your case heard, or whatever. Personally, in the absence of an actual defense other than "how could he have abused her, these people saw nothing and one time she asked him to touch her but now she said he also bad touched her", I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to the accuser simply because that doubt is so easy to produce in a courtroom at a time, and in front of people, far separated from the event in question. Traumatised people will get things just as wrong as liars, even more so when put under the stress of examination.

Based on the Herald story he seems to have been acquitted on the basis of a) victims wouldn't be near their abuser, which is patently false especially if he's in a position of authority over them even more so if that position is being related (I forget if that detail has been released); b) victims said he forced them into compromising positions but people saw them ask for a massage once, which is not actually an inconsistency because there's no mention of whether it was prior to the abuse; the reported abuse was over a period of time so if he was abusing them he must have been playing it off like it wouldn't happen again or giving them assurances he understood it was inappropriate; or they had no actual control over whether or not they were around him because they were employed or related, and they were just trying to push through the abuse hoping he would simply stop. Sexual predation is simply not as cut and dried as that. The predator is relying on the trust of their environment and the fear and shame of their prey to cover their activities, and if they get into court that exact same uncritical environment and lack of immediate action by the victim is entered as a priori evidence against the accusations.

What's more is that the actual process of going through the trial can be very traumatic for the complainants, precisely because they get hammered by the defence attorneys like this.
I think the whole way we handle sexual abuse cases in court is way more punishing on the innocent party than the guilty (whether its the alleged abuser or the victim)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Chalupa Joe posted:

"Kids need to know the value of work" - The father of an art student, and a DJ.

Then clearly they do know the value of work: it is that it doesn't really matter if you have rich parents.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

klen dool posted:

So this question might make me look retarded but what exactly is so bad about a company drilling into an aquifer and bottling the water and selling it?

The news hasn't really laid out the cons....

Resource consents give people the right to take a certain amount of water from groundwater aquifers and/or surface water. They pay to get a resource consent but aren't charged for the water they use. Usually its used for agricultural (irrigation or water for stock) or industrial purposes.

In this case, some land was sold that had resource consents attached to it. A company bought the land. They intend to use the water they're allowed to draw and bottle it and export it.

Honestly its not much different from a guy in Christchurch filling up bottles of water from his tap and selling the water, except on a way, way larger scale. There is a good argument that the way we deal with water could be dealt with much better, especially given how valuable it is - regional councils are giving away millions of dollars worth of fresh water more or less free to farmers and businesses.

This case is just way more transparent that hey - the water that we let people take is worth actually quite a lot of money.

On top of that - like Varkk said - ECAN has issued resource consents for people to be allowed to take maybe 30% more water than actually exists in Canterbury, and they are doing very little in the way of punishing people when they take more than what they're allowed. Maybe related to the fact that the National Government replaced all of ECans democratically elected officials with their own people.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bobbilljim posted:

As an Aucklander, I thought everywhere charged for water usage. I'm kind of shocked that people would get it for free.

Yup its a pretty hosed up system.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Local government elections coming up soon. Anything interesting happen so far?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Did I miss the whole Uber employing a whole bunch of illegal (unregistered) taxi drivers in NZ thing? When did that hit the news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
If you like free wine there are a ton of cellar doors around Otago.

• Locked thread