Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Those are both in M15. They can only be found in the sample decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Gilg posted:

How well do duel decks play against decks from other duel deck sets?

I've got a few friends who have played Magic before but aren't interested in reinvesting in decks again. I thought about buying 2 or 3 duel decks (4 to 6 total decks) and playing them Swiss style, but I'm not sure how well they work when they're not against their respective rival.
Doesn't always work out well, but it's not terrible to experiment. I think it's interesting which decks stomp which and why. Divine vs Demonic is very weak, Elves vs Goblins is pretty good, Jace vs Vraska has good decks for duel decks, but they are miserable against each other. Out of the last 3 that you can find for MSRP, I'd go with JvV and Elspeth vs Kiora.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

It almost reads like that post I think was linked here where the guy who had only ever played Hearthstone (but had someone quick explain how to play magic to him one time) critiqued some expensive magic cards.

I don't want to call a dude out for not understanding wizard poker very well, but do you mean the dude in this thread who didn't understand why you would pay life for something and didn't think the shocks and bob are very good?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

My buddy got 3rd in legacy using my Chains of Mephistopheles to do gross things with Dack Fayden. Apparently I'm getting something for letting him borrow my Chains (see this is how you thank people for borrowing your cards, nerds.) I'll give a trip report of what he gives me (besides my $300 sideboard card back) on Friday.
Oh man. I never thought about how nasty Dack and Chains is. Sucks chains is 300 bucks, because +2 opponent discards 4 sounds brutal.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Jabor posted:

Discards two, really.

Notion Thief is truly disgusting, though.
Yea. Discard two, draw two, discard two. It's a replacement effect right? It sounds really painful if you time it correctly. Notion Thief is a good idea for my dank faygo deck, and it doesn't cost 300 bucks! Nice suggestion.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I also now have an understanding of why grinders get so pissed off when they play a match that has their tournament life on the line, lose, and get mad.

Winning the power to get expensive cards for free feels really good. I bought my EDH Wasteland today with my store credit along with a Strip Mine, a Magus of the Moon and a Merrow Reejerey FNM promo and it didn't cost me a cent. :)

I am of the opinion that that is the ceiling on the secondary market: the prize pool. The illusion is there that if you bought the same deck as the champ, you could be the champ, so the deck must cost some percent of the pot.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
My weird theory was that the conspiracy of the set conspiracy was who the hell cast Pernicious Deed and Deathreap Ritual. None of the legends in the sets could cast it.

Angry Grimace posted:

It is canon, that's how he got on the Unshackled card he got in M15. He was stuck in a wuss form due to a hedron stuck in his head, which was then removed in Duels, which gave him at least his strength back (although not his Planeswalker powers). Given that he's stuck on Zendikar, he's probably gonna show up again in the next block.
It's cannon that Garruk tried to kill us, the players of MTG. Garruk is coming to murder you was the main theme of M15.

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: for more content I just cracked an Ugin from the last of my GP Vancouver packs. How good is it in GR Tron?
I like All is Dust better. It works well with Eye of Ugin ironically.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I would get the foil if there was a card with Sorin beating Tibalt to death with a crowbar.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
No matter what I pick in Khans block prereleases, I always end up going grixis in the end. Mardu in Khans, didn't open good white so filled in the deck with blue, then I did Jeskai for FRF and opened an insane dragon beats deck, no white rares, again.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Four Score posted:

I know this probably gets asked a lot, but in your goon opinions, what is the ugliest Forest and the ugliest Plains in Magic? I want to make my Mastery board states as obnoxious as possible.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=40115
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1397

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

poo poo that didn't happen.txt
Ah yes, the brown gambit.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Sotar posted:

Every time I get even an inkling to build a commander deck, I read a story like yours, moxie, and I just go gently caress that noise.
Our FNM EDH group is really nice and cool, and if I'm too late to draft I can get the promo anyway because everyone gets one in EDH. I don't think unchill people would last very long, someone less chill would probably explode when they see the poo poo people proxy with markers and moxie.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I know deck thinning doesn't do dick, but how are my odds of drawing gas effected when my mana base is 17 lands and 8 of them are fetches? It's still negligible because a small amount of my deck is land to begin with?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

According to MTGO, the answer is yes, a Tribal Enchantment animated by Opalescence does in fact gain the Tribal type as its creature type:

Now it's ready for Ashnod's Transmogrant.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

signalnoise posted:

What's a reasonable amount of money to expect to spend on MTG? I talked to a friend of mine who's a judge and he said to expect any given new set to last about a year to a year and a half, and they put out a new set every few months or so? So would one booster box every 3-4 months work for me? I am trying to gauge whether or not I should even really try to play this. I would like to get into a CCG but the only games played around here are Magic and My Little Pony and sometimes Pokemon.
Buying boxes is not a good way to build a collection. Find a deck you like and build it from singles. The exception is drafting. Draft a box every 3 months seems like a good time.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

UW Tron is better against the aggressive matchups (with wraths, Elesh Norn, and Ghostly Prison), but I don't like the general potency of its game-winners quite as much compared to U Tron's package.
Gifts tron is more reliable than U tron in my experience. Iona is as good a finisher as any in most situations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
At 189 a box, I don't think I'll have any problem getting my money's worth. If I get back 60% in value on any sealed product I feel ok about it, it's the sub 1$ mythics that get me salty.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I've always liked the textless mortify.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Edit: also reprint hymn to tourach and sylvan library. Thanks wizards.
I crack packs for Hymns because they are a buck each so gently caress it. I can't get behind Hymn in modern, but cabal therapy in modern would be really fun. It's so drat skill testing and satisfying when you hit something blind and it wins you the game.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Put cabal therapy in modern

Free young Peezy and monastery mentos

I like the cut of your jib. I play a grixis delver legacy deck because i wanted to cram therapy into u/r delver, and the best play is when the opponent casts brainstorm in response to therapy, you let it resolve, then thought scour them. Peezy making GBS threads out tokens the whole time just makes it kafka for the other guy. If we could get some good draw ordering in modern, I'd make it a modern deck in a heartbeat.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Not only does "vanilla matters" seem terrible, if you don't understand the layer system the game will fall apart. Player A controls a 2/2 creature and an enchantment that gives creatures without an ability flying. Player B controls an enchantment that gives creatures without an ability +2/+2. Player B casts sudden spoiling. Ok, what the gently caress happens?

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 13, 2015

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Assuming I read the rules correctly. The keyword "priority" is new to me.
Priority is very important. If you pass priority like you are supposed to, things go better than waiting until something happens then going "no wait, I wanted to...". Also, although there are game actions that don't use the stack, like tapping mana, everything requires priority well, except for conceding.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I cracked a box of MM15, and it was hosed up how good it was. Foil clique, foil emrakul, bob, kiki jiki, cryptic, tezz, a playset of remands, a playset of smash to smithereens, all is dust, fulminator mage, spellskite, foil ghost dad, non foil ghost dad, lodestone golem. Insane for 180 bucks.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

A lot of the fears on how lovely the set value is seem to have been allayed by how many foils of valuable cards seem to be showing up. I took a pretty mediocre box value to ~300 just with a foil Bob by itself. Its boom or bust for sure, but its kind of like gambling on dollar slots - feels good when you win!
I agree completely. At ~$200 I think the value is there. It's weird; some commentators were saying that the foils don't change the EV because of garbage foils, but come on, there are staples that people like in foil at all rarities. Unless I'm mistaken, TCG player is showing a smaller foil mark up than most pack foils, but the demand will out pace the supply in the longterm.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

If they unbanned cloudpost nobody would ever play a Tron deck ever again.
Uh. That's the point. That's why tron.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

bhsman posted:

So a friend of mine is trying to compile a list of Magic cards with sexually suggestive and/or funny names and I literally balked at an answer (other than Uktabi Orangutan, I guess); could anyone else help here?

Wall of Denial.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I opened a box + 6 packs for drafting, and I know exactly what people are talking about. Some cards have vertical scuffs running the length of the card. Some of the foils come hp/damaged straight from the pack. Call me picky, but that's damage when the front of the card is defaced the entire length of the card. Some of the packs don't have the glue holding the side of the pack in, that might be the problem.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I miss Urza, but I also miss the Homelands setting and there is no way we go back to Castle Sengir.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Lastly, people keep asking how I feel about Conspiracy, Planechase, etc. I don't invest in or collect anything that doesn't belong to the standard rotation of the game. I hardly have an inkling of what exactly is in a Conspiracy pack, it doesn't really register in my mind as part of the Magic collectible card game.
Ah man, come on. How can someone not like Conspiracy? Dude is "investing" in sealed product and skipping one of the few sets with legacy and vintage playables.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

HotBobaloo posted:

Anyone have any opinions on U/R Twin vs. Grixis Twin? Have the cards for both, but not sure which to build.
Which format? I like grixis in legacy because Cabal Therapy is fun times.

whydirt posted:

The thing a lot of people who try to ape Hunter Thompson seem to not realize is that he wrote straight journalism stories for years before developing his trademark gonzo style and persona. CML's writing reads like someone who wants to break away from rules and traditions of writing without actually understanding them.
The point of gonzo was that being objective was being a liar. Nixon could never be accurately described from a "both sides are valid" perspective. It doesn't mean journalism done on drugs, that was HST interjecting himself into the story as gonzo does.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Twin isn't a thing in Legacy so I'm sure he means Modern. Grixis Twin is a thing in Modern now.
Whoops. My brain said delver. What you say is true.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Thinking about this again, MM15 has lowers prices somewhat, but not as much as Conspiracy did last year for certain cards. Stifle, Pernicious Deed, Misdirection, Exploration, Reflecting Pool were all 20 dollar cards that had their price bottom out to 3-5 bucks and it has stayed there, while it only added 1 new value card, maybe 2 (Dack and Council's Judgement.) Conspiracy packs were also regular retail value. This could be that the :10bux: pricepoint had made people wary to sell anything at a greatly lower price because of "my value!"
For "not being a real set" conspiracy is an amazing draft format. I played enough to make my own boosters. Scourge of the throne is money for some reason too.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I still have not drafted it, and I'm dying to. I can't find enough people in my area who are willing to go in on a box and play (rural Japan, of course.)
I got a box, and my local game store runs conspiracy when there aren't enough people to draft at FNM. You see the craziest interactions that don't exist anywhere else. W/B voting is a hell of a deck.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Onmi posted:

Due to being able to kill 1 toughness enemies? giving you a.... two for one effect?

Slow down tiger, you can only equip creatures you control.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

akulanization posted:

I had part of an effort post on how I thought that losing protection would be harmful, as it would likely be replaced with more annoying keywords and it wasn't that hard to remember the 3 things that protection does under normal circumstances. Guess I was wrong about at least the last part.

But protection does 4 things.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Onmi posted:

I love the Reckoners and Iroas, but I feel like if some cards need to be dropped they're probably on the top of the list.
The question is now what to remove?
Is the Akroan Hoplite pulling its weight? It seems worse than monastery swiftspear.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I'm still dying over Tromple.
Name a card, gain 1 life had me rolling. It's the perfectly designed card.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That is good advice, but I'd like to talk about my favorite kind of deck, Tempo.

Tempo and control are similar, as are combo and aggro, but while control wants to stall the game until it deploys its larger threats, tempo is trying to slow down your opponent while your smaller threats keep beating down. The spell Remand is a great example of a tempo play. Your opponent doesn't lose anything but time; instead of removing the threat entirely, the opponent is forced to repeat the previous turn. Your advantage when playing the tempo game is that you do more for less. Your threats cost less and you spend less resources fighting their threats. A good way to look at it is that control tries to finish the game a turn after their opponent, tempo tries to kill the turn before the enemy can.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Four Score posted:

My meta has suddenly become flooded with U/W Tron players using Gifts and Unburial Rites and Elesh Norn, help!?!
Leyline of Sanctity from the sideboard stops gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

AgentSythe posted:

:eyepop:

i always forget that interaction with Intuition as well. It... does not come up often

If it's already in your board for anti-burn and whatnot, why not?

• Locked thread