Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Orange Harrison posted:

Watch RB4 be a free-to-play download title supported by DLC, non-DLC microtransactions, and the option to buy a Rock Band 4 Season Pass: free access to all future DLC for only $999!
Edit: also the final game is inexplicably labeled "early access" indefinitely.

I would probably go in with 4 other friends to buy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SatansBestBuddy posted:

.... actually, is there a save file I could dupe into my game that would unlock everything? A lot of work has been done to get customs working nearly as well as official DLC, but has anything been done with save file manipulation? I know I would love to have all the options available to me when playing rockstar dressup.

Pretty sure the answer is no but I would really like this too.

E:F;B

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Presumably the Rock Band 4 "engine", that is, gameplay+visuals+animation+etc. will be enough of an upgrade over RB3 to make an upgrade tempting even without customs and potentially not being able to bring across your old DLC (if you switched allegiances.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Seems a bit odd to ask about which instruments I need to re-buy without supposing whether the instruments or DLC will work on the new console.

It probably doesn't matter anyway since they asked for my country and I don't live in the US. :australia:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'd be interested in hearing a better idea, but you can buy a drum key that will go into an impact driver or drill from a music shop, which makes it fairly easy to collapse the set flat and bring it back to full stature quickly.

It's still a sizable bit of kit but once flat it will hopefully fit behind a couch or something.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

I rather be forced to do something than do something and not have it work at all :argh: early Rock Band talkie parts

Also having to turn off the controller when you want to do a single no-vocals song rather than just being able to leave it connected.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Yea, everyone I've played with figured out singers choice back round RB 2, it always made the most sense, you're the one that's gotta belt the stuff out and we're just here to make you sound good so you pick em is what we tell new singers that keep asking "how bout this one? Is this one ok?"

I printed out the songs that I have into a little notebook and potential singers can peruse the book while waiting their turn to save time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I wonder if they actually have metrics to say that people like the "story mode" aspects.

Everyone I know hated it because it means you can't necessarily play the songs you want* or dress up your paper doll how you'd like without doing "chores" to unlock.

*I think they got rid of unlocking songs for RB3 at least.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Preorder canceled.

But on the plus side, you no longer have a deafening airplane hum coming out of your surround sound system.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Hmmm the second best version of JJF, nice.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

elf help book posted:

Look there's a search box where you can type in song names with your guitar isn't that good enough please stop asking questions

Seems like a good use for Smart Glass or whatever it's called.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The period between baby being too old to sleep and too young to wield drumsticks is the worst part of being a Rock Band Dad.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rock Band 4 Band-in-a-Box Bundle ~ $324 AUD Delivered @ Amazon
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/221552

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The GH3 Les Paul is the best plastic guitar for accuracy and score attack.

Edit: screw the neck to the body so the pogo pins don't become intermittent. Or replace the pogo pins with a piece of UTP cable.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

This thread is probably getting too console warrior-y but the 360/Bone controller is streets ahead of the dual shock.
Not that it matters for Rock Band.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Tempo 119 posted:

Have you tried signing in as your wife

I don't have a wig to wear in front of the kinect.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Kaboobi posted:

Smartglass song selection, both while on the song select screen and also for adding to/editing setlists on the fly.

I had assumed this was already a thing, because why wouldn't it have it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Doc Morbid posted:

I'm still not liking how career occasionally forces you to play certain setlists, even if you choose the "we're serious about our art" path that gives you more freedom. Since the predetermined setlists tend to just be on-disc songs and RB4's on-disc soundtrack is, shall we say, slightly underwhelming, you end up having to play a bunch of songs you don't know (let alone enjoy). It's particularly bad for vocalists, because trying to sing an unfamiliar song is pretty miserable and your best options are to mumble through on easy or switch instruments for that show. Just let us pick the drat songs ourselves or at least have a vote each time.

At least they now allow you to select DLC or legacy songs for custom setlists in career, which was one of the most baffling omissions at launch.

It's a fun throwback to RB1.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SatansBestBuddy posted:

From my experience playing with groups and at parties, Rock Band really is just a karaoke game to a lot of people, with the plastic instruments part being an interesting novelty but nothing super important to the game. If anything, not having the guitar drop out when missing a note on Easy just makes the game more fun since you're not letting everybody down by sucking.

Yeah definitely. It's funny that it took them so long to put in No Fail Mode since that has really helped the game for this audience.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Mr E posted:

Turns out I don't have a XB360 guitar controller in my pile of peripherals. I do have three DJ Hero controllers though! I know that a local shop has some Guitar Hero 2 Xplorers, 3 & World Hero controllers, and maybe a RB controller. Which of those is the overall best for playing RB3?

The GH3 Gibson SG is probably the best controller in my opinion, but the detachable neck means you need to screw it into the body for a reliable connection.

RB controllers can be hit or miss; they have more features and try to be more "realistic" but the reliability of them is even worse.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Black and White aren't colours of the rainbow...

How about some RHCP, Deep Purple, Blue Öyster Cult?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

Songs with unnecessarily long stupid outros (save this one for Eddie Vedder's birth month)

Conversely, I want to know where I can buy full-length MP3s of some of the songs with outros.
Two off the top of my head are Long Time and Love is a Battlefield, both of which have radio-edit style fadeouts on the album as far as I can tell.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Orange Harrison posted:

99% of the time they are purpose-built mixes that are unique to the game, so you'd either have to rip the song yourself in vocal practice mode, or get :filez: from someone with a decryptor.

That makes sense considering they have access to masters. A bit of a shame.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Tempo 119 posted:

Yes fail but keep playing anyway mode
Auto kick mode

Are these features RB4 only?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Spoeank posted:

While true, the original quote was that RB1 and RB4 are comparable game play experiences which is so absurd.

I think the original quote was "features in 4 that were improvements since 1".

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Well to be fair overdrive was impossible to deploy in RB3 so they probably forgot about it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Orange Harrison posted:

A crewmate of mine found out you can just plug in a no-fail mic to get the multiplayer XP bonus for yourself when you're playing "solo"

Just remember to keep it nearby for activating the Big Rock Finish.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

farottone posted:

Thanks for your time and I hope some of our content will make you donate. ;)

Good work! Please remind us again later this month when it starts.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Merijn posted:

I changed my mind

People see Tubthumping at parties and think "Oh that will be a fun song, let's do that" and quickly do they learn their lesson...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Does swapping out the hard drive for a SSD improve the load time of lots of small files like customs?

I know people back in the day were saying it didn't really help load times in other games but that was presumably large transfers hampered by SATA2 (and early gen SSDs.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

King of the Cosmos posted:

I was going with Raffi but Cher is Armenian? You're blowing my mind.

I thought she was Native American...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Nostalgia sells.

But who's buying?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

GH3 had probably the best set list of any of the games though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

BRE was so overused in RB1 era...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Dr Zaius posted:

There's a custom for Thick as a Brick. It's 40 minutes long and it rules.

I'm still waiting for the musical version of War of the Worlds, assuming the 360 can load it without crashing from OOM.

(I guess if Thick as a Brick loads then it would work, because you could have each side of the LP as its own song.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I finally joined the 20th century and got a receiver which has component and optical.
When format should I expect to see when using optical audio in RB3 on the 360?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Minidust posted:

Also learned that I should just put keys on pro mode, easy, every time. Cann't say how many times I've had to explain regular keys to someone; it's just not intuitive to look for those tiny color stickers at the middle C.

Not much else to say except RB3 still owns!

One day I hope someone makes a HDMI switcher with hacked firmware that can crop and scale lanes to different outputs.
Then Pro Keys and Drums can have their own "front of house" screens.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Is there anyone who is working on a RB3 replacement for PC? Or is there a 360 emulator that is even remotely close to handling the task? I live in constant fear that my disk is going to die and I’ll be without all my customs forevermore. :/

Install your game to hard drive.
Beyond that you are probably better off buying a RGH 360 before we start talking about crazy workarounds like emulators and sourceports.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Installing game to hard drive still doesn’t work if the disk dies. It needs to read it initially on boot...

Sure, but the disk is unlikely to die if it's only ever being used to validate GOD and then goes idle.
Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.
But if we say that discs die from "bit rot" (random unrecoverable read errors) then reading the preamble for GOD purposes should be the last thing to be affected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Stan Taylor posted:

playing guitar on 3 while I use a stationary bike.

This is an amazing idea.