Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I'm currently working on a 1:48 scale WWII Corsair.

First off a coat of shiny shiny aluminium.

A coat of future and hair spray later some base colours added to the mix.

Now if these things survived a while in the pacific they really wore the paint down working hard off the carriers in high heat and salty wet conditions. So chipping ahoy!

I'm going to give the thing a coat of future then add the decals and then add some washes/filters I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Seldom Posts posted:

Could you go into more detail about how you got this look above? I am new to painting but this is exactly the blue I want to get for a model I have.

Sure, for the main blue I just used Vallejo Air Colours airbrushed at just over 1 bar with a couple of drops of thinner and gloss varnish in the mix.

Over the Aluminium base sealed with gloss. I airbrushed the following three colours gradually panel shading towards the centre of the panels.

1. Blue "Blue Angels" (71.090)

2. French Blue (71.088)

3. US Inter. Blue (71.113)

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I found time this weekend to panel line and then add some simple weathering to the corsair. This is all still super gloss beware.

Going to work on canopy, prop and details next then matt everything down. Pic dump incoming!

What do you think? I'm fairly happy with how it's turning out.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

The Impaler posted:

Love it anytime you post. Group shot of your plane collection?

Just snapped a quick one for you tonight. Hopefully getting better and learning with each one.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Hey, since you have experience with model airplanes, have you ever used any of the buffable chrome stuff? Was considering trying out some of that on my necrons. I know it's mostly for planes and cars though.

I haven't I'm afraid. The only time I've attempted chrome was using Vallejo model air colours as the base of the corsair earlier in the thread.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

The Impaler posted:

That desert Tornado is awesome.

Thanks very much!

Here's some shots of the real deal:

And my finished take on it:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Medium Style posted:

Before I start my next project, I'd like to try out some new stuff. One thing I should probably try is oil washes but I'm a little confused. I am mostly interested in using them for shading (I don't usually care to do heavy weathering or big models with broad flat surfaces). These might be stupid questions:

- Can oil washes be used in all of the same situations where one would use an acrylic washes/shades?

Yes, although you will need to seal/gloss in any acrylic first paint first before using the oils or turps.

quote:

- I only see people using black or umber oils, how does that work with shading red or green or blue? Do I need several colors of oil paint besides black and umber?

An oil wash is just a wash like any acrylic wash. You can get them/make them in any colours you like. People like them because they have a much much better play time before drying and curing, and can be moved a around a model a lot easier and cleaned up easier.

quote:

- What gloss varnish is recommended? Preferably something brush-on, I don't have an airbrush.

You are going to be seeing this recommended a lot.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I know everyone else has said it but I just wanted to add my voice to the mix to say there is nothing wrong with using future and windex through an airbrush.

Been doing it for years, Yo!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Alright suggestion time. I'm going to paint up my Dropzone Commander PHR like Skynet Terminators and my Resistance like they're from the Resistance from the new Terminator movies. I'm thinking for the PHR I do chrome with dark inking in recesses and red lights, maybe using a wash made from P3 Coal Black. Any suggestions on how to make a convincing chrome paintjob?

If you are looking for something that is easy and gives a good effect, then I did this with the Vallejo Model Air range metallics. One coat of "Gungrey 71.072" followed by "Aluminium 71.062". You could then add a few light coats of gloss and I'm sure it would look decent.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

by.a.teammate posted:

Good catch thanks for that, i've seen this on element games, hows this?

Plastic Soldier Company Spray - German Panzer Grey

I've found this to be the best primer you can buy by a long shot. Tamiya fine surface primer, light grey.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I'm finally calling it done on the Corsair I posted a while back. Came out looking okay I think. After a long long while it's back to ground units now with a Long Range Desert Group Chevrolet 30 CWT scorpion next.

Picture dump then I'm done with this.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Twincityhacker posted:

What is the recomended color to paint kahki? I've tried a few different colors, and my doughboys keep coming out peach or a light yellow.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

...or VMC Khaki.

Seconded! You just use khaki to paint khaki.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I can give some examples if it's useful.

Pre-shading is shading in dark paint edges of panels and recesses so when you air brush on semi translucent coats you can lighten the tone to the middle of panels and get a nice smooth gradient etc.

Such as this

Leading to this:

Modulation is painting to get an exaggerated effect of light hitting the object from various angles and lightening smaller details to give contrast. Kind of like Zenith priming but a bit more.

Such as this:

To this:

To this:

To this:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Post 9-11 User posted:

That's smooth as butter. All airbrush work?

At that point all the modulation of the base coat and the cammo was airbrushed. I believe it's had an oil filter as well at that stage.

Here's some finished shots which show how the modulation is toned down but still visible after all the after stages and weathering. It should look like the light source is coming diagonally down from the front.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Following on from the Corsair posted earlier on I'm starting a British LRDG Chevrolet CWT 30T truck from 1942.

I've been laying down the base coats it tonight and I'm quite happy with how it's coming out although I'm still getting used to how blatantly garish it is. This is intentional as when the LRDG patrols sprayed camo on before setting off from base they were incredibly bright and very much in your face to blend into desert dawn and dusk.

The paint then muted right down over the weeks in the desert and bleached out. So that's my next step and I'm up for some advice please on how to get this look if anyone has any ideas.

I was thinking about spraying a very thinned transparent layer of desert tan over the while thing to work as a filter, then darker brown pin wash in the crevices before washing the whole thing in AK Interactive dust effects and then loose unset sand/dust pigments where this would normally accumulate. Along with the usual decals, chipping and detailing as usual. What do you all think? Should I be thinking along the lines of a buff oil filter?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I've added a strong wash and some more layers to the Chevy and it definitely looks more sun weathered now. The wash is very strong as my theory is that the very last step is dust effects in the crevasses so I don't want this to destroy and shading there. I think its a good foundation coat to work from.

It's super glosses obviously, this is the first ever model I've attempted from a desert theatre so any advice is helpful. Next steps I was going to do was a very light dry brush over the whole thing and then some very light chipping around only the high wear areas. Then to start on all the details and stowage.

And just to remind you how it started:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I've just got a base through I ordered ages ago so did a quick knock up of what the final gift should look like:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I've been working on all the little detail parts of the LRDG 30-CWT I posted a while back and I thought I would do a rough dry fit tonight just to see how things are going on. Nothing here is glued or finialised. I'll attach everything last minute then do a matt varnish and final pigment weathering. I reckon I'm about 70% complete now.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Throbbing blob posted:

Never stop posting! It looks soooo good.

Edit: will you actually do up some crew for them? I'd be interested to see how well you do people, considering how nice your machines look

Thanks, the kit does come with figures but in my eyes they just never look in keeping and realistic with the main model, even when the pro's do them. I have done a few with crew in the past however, so I'll see if I can dig anything out.

I don't dislike figures per say and love them in the context of wargaming, Perry Minatures, GW stuff and especially 15mm FoW, but just not in the 1:35 scale modelling game.

big_g fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 4, 2015

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Check out some Google image searches for British tank camo in North Africa. They used a light blue contrast for the khaki.

I did one of these in 1:35 scale about 5/6 years ago if it's any help.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

The paints are gunked up as the moisture in them has evaporated over time. Why would applying heat in any shape or form help?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Over in the Scale Modeling thread we have been having a group project for the month of August. The idea was to all buy the same cheapo crap kit and see who could come up with the best end product.

It was decided to buy the Airfix 1:72 IS-3 tank kit. This kit is not without it's problems as it was designed by someone who had never seen the tank expect for one photograph, as Pierzak found out.

Pierzak posted:

I have that too. I accidentally shaved down the nub that's supposed to help with barrel orientation because it had a major mold shift.
And the gas cans are horrible. One side empty, the other has random holes or weird black poo poo on it, and again, mold shift in the middle.

Other attractions:
- mold feeds for tracks are in the recesses :wtc:
- a huge mold feed(?) on the side of the machine gun
- part numbers on the outside of the undercarriage, because why place it on the otherside
- the barrel was already mentioned (drill your barrels! :vomarine:), but is mounted off-center.

Basically, the poster who suggested this kit can go sit on a cactus :argh:

So Ladies and Gentlemen I am cross posting here for your judgement! The winner gets to pick the next monstrosity of a model for us all to do!

In no particular order I present to you....Crap Tank!

The Locator posted:

I think I'm done with craptank for now. Reasonably happy with it given that it's my first plastic model in 30 years, but it certainly has some issues and things I would do different if I could start over.

Troll Bridgington posted:

Okay. NOW I'm calling it done with this tank. Added some rust, some burnt umber washes, the decals, and a matt coat. Bonus pictures of babby tank's older brother model in the background.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Introducing Joseph "Get rich or kill those trying" $talin and his trusty wingman Lavrentiy Party-vich Beriya!

Featuring chrome-lined barrel (from the outside)

Senior party members only.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

here's craptank anyway.

big_g posted:

I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Warmachine posted:

Craptank has been sitting like this for roughly two weeks now, since I've had poo poo for time. I did carve out the muzzle break. I also stuck modeling putty in the tracks and called it close enough. Seriously gently caress vinyl. Not sure if I'll do a camo, or if I'll take the lazy tank crew option and just detail and weather it.

Ahahahaha we all know the answer here. gently caress this tank.

Nebakenezzer posted:

So somebody described craptank as a child's rendering of a IS-3. So that gave me an idea.

I painted it white, then used coloring pencils. I tried crayon, but the results were not too good.

I painted the tracks white too, but then all the paint just flaked off so I said gently caress it

Also used a pencil to highlight details and do the machine gun.

headcas3 posted:

My craptank finally showed up but I don't have part 51. I see the space for it on the sprue but it's not there or in the box

lilljonas posted:

Crappy soviet tank project? No problem, just need a soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUWUtTZvK4

Anyway, craptank was my first attempt at (excessive) hair spray chipping. Well, it didn't go perfectly, though it looks a bit better in person than on the photos. At least now I got a feel to the method, and know what to do when I'll try it on a serious kit next time. At least it was a ton of fun to scratch the hell out of it with dental tools and a broken off piece of bamboo skewer.

We will bury them!

Unkempt posted:

Well, we all know what this is:

I see two problems here:
- that gun is clearly too small
- all those tiny little wheels.

So:

And:

A bit of surgery:

Getting there:

Here we go!

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

STRAIGHT DOWN THE AUTOBAHN TO BLOW HITLER'S loving FACE RIGHT OFF

YEAH
Job done.

Arquinsiel posted:

Craptank pictures! I went in a different direction to most of you and decided to paint this as a tank I might actually get some wargames use out of at some point, so I present to you: Uncie Joe's Egyptian summer holiday '67!:

That says exactly what you'd think it says (probably).

ETA: the green chips are because the Russians shipped the IS3-Ms they sold to Egypt painted, and the Egyptians sort of lazily painted over that and in the field it all flaked off and resulted in a mottled mess.

Sanguine posted:

So, with the crappiness of crap tank I though 'why waste paint?' Also the discussion a bit back about instructions for painting tanks using grass in fuel got me thinking, so.. why not paint it with grass?

First step was trying some grass in pet spirits - but no dice. It's not strong enough to lyse the cells, so the grass will need to be ground up.

As a trial I used a couple of sanding sticks to mill the grass.

Looks promising, but after trying it on the tank it left bugger all colour and took ages to dry. When it was dry another coat just tore off the old one, so back to the drawing board.

So, plan B involved methylated spirits and a mortar and pestle.

Looking good, but lumpy. So using a handy old-sock filter:

I got about 10 ml of the 'paint'.

I put it through an airbrush without too many blockages, and about 15 to 20 coats later I decided 'gently caress it, that'll do'.

So there ya go, a genuine grass-coloured vaguely IS-3 shaped tank.

EDIT: Late entry:

Blackchamber posted:

Late, and incomplete. I tried melting and gluing the tracks on but they just dont want to stay together. Crap effort for my crap tank anyways since I basically redid the paint job last night.

Inspired by the red and silver here:

CRAP that I poo poo out:

big_g fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 1, 2015

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

parabolic posted:

Hi-Mock painting showcase would be pretty fun.

Just so you guys all know the Hi-Mock idea seems to be taking off in the Scale Modelling thread for October as a group build so you guys need to get involved. I even think the Gunpla thread is getting in on it as well.

Check it out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=159#post450612768

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I finally finished my LRDG chevy, you know the one that started off in June looking like this.

It's a gift for my Father-in- Law and I hope he likes it this week. Sorry for the bad photos my lighting is terrible. Will try to take some better ones in day light of anyone is interested.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Sorry to be spamming the thread with this but it'll be the last you see of it now. I took some shots in daylight today which show the colours a bit better I think.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

The Locator posted:

I went to a reasonably large IPMS model show yesterday, and there were some very impressive figures. Is it appropriate to post pictures of figures that I have nothing to do with (other than the photo's) in this thread, or does anyone even want to see photo's of figures not done by goons? I'm still working on the editing/cropping/resizing, but thought I'd ask for whenever I finish.

Also, my boat won 1st place in Surface Ships, and Best Ship across all ship categories, I was pretty stoked.

Post many pictures.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

So are none of you guys joining in on the November Hi-Mock group build? It was this thread that suggested it.

The scale model thread has already started on some excellent submissions.

hjp766 posted:

Finished the Hi-Mock.

The whole album is http://imgur.com/a/DuxkR here.

Start

End

Unkempt posted:

Here we go.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I normally post in the scale models thread as that's usually more my bag but have always read this thread since the first incarnation. I wanted to do something new and so I just bought a Tau Ghostkeel for fun and as a something different before my next historical model kit.

It's actually a really nice kit.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

Man, I wish my primer (Army Painter white) looked that smooth. Mine looks way too gritty (probably just the "tooth" from the primer), and I can see the texture even after painting my basecoat on top. I'm really tempted to strip these guys and start over with a different brand of primer.

Everyone should just always use Tamiya fine surface grey primer for everything. I can't remember the last kit I used a different primer on regardless of the final colouring.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

I have heard good things about this primer. I assume you use the spray can and not an airbrush-based solution?

Yes I use it straight out of the rattle can. Some people complain it's more expensive than then cheap primers but I swear by it.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I decided to do the Ghostkeel in a grey scheme with selected plates in an digi urban cammo scheme as that's something I've never done before.

I can't mask all the plates off and spray them at the same time as it's akward so I did the first two last night.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Lord Twisted posted:

When airbrushing what do you guys use to mask other parts of a model? Some sort of paint friendly blu tack?

Try looking up Panzer putty, for hard edge stuff I would suggest Tamiya tape as the best.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I had some time tonight to get some more base coat on the Ghostkeel. Starting to come together a bit more now.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Your stuff is looking like a Fitchenfoo/PECK Gundam, and that's extremely high praise.

For reference:
Fitchenfoo: http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/model-gallery/
PECK: http://peck2003.web.fc2.com/

Wow thanks, just been looking and their stuff is excellent. I'm kinda just making this up as I go as a nice break from the historical scale kits. Pretty fun so far although the digi cam was tedious towards the end.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Some advice please thread.

With the Ghostkeel I am obviously painting the two weapons, one on each arm; a cyclic ion raker!?! and the countermeasure arm separately. For a change from the normal I was planning to paint them in the standard Tau ochre colour to look like field hot swapped weapon systems where the techs have fitted new weapons but have not had time to re-spray and update the paint. The idea is that this should add interest and variation to the model. Is this a good idea or not?

It is a quite common technique in the historical scale modelling field as shown by this 1:35 Ferdinand I did with a red primed gun guard and black heat proof primed barrel field fitted before they could be spray painted the same colour as the rest of the vehicle.

What do you all think?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

A warm earth tone is going to go a long way to add some visual interest to your sweet paintjob. However, I do urge restraint. While I have no experience with that model, I know GW does like its huge weapons. It's going to be really easy to over do it. On the other hand, you want that warm block of color, not a bunch of little patches. You may have to throw your historical druthers aside to hit that sweet spot.

Well I started with the weapons tonight and laid down the base colours on the weapons for the arms. Obviously details and wash to add yet..

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Bistromatic posted:

The dropzone elite infantry got their bases today so now they're 100% done. I put numbers on the bases for identification and army list purposes and added them to my old infantry as well. The first pic has an old fire warrior for scale comparison.

The OSL and bases on these are so loving cool.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I've been away this weekend but took some time tonight to gloss varnish and add a dark grey pin wash to the Ghostkeel.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

HardCoil posted:

I love this model and what you're doing with it!

Thanks, I'm really just making it up as I go. I really have no idea what I'm doing long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Crossposting from the Scale Model thread November craptankbot challenge.

Go, Soviet commubot!

Smash the invaders!

Even the toughest fascist beasts are no match for its strength!

Feel safe, comrades, knowing that the commubot vigilantly defends your borders night and day.

Love the commubot, looks great.

I've not been contributing to the Hi-Mock fun but I thought I would share here all the fun that's being going down in the scale modelling thread as I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Unkempt posted:

Here we go.

hjp766 posted:

Finished the Hi-Mock.

The whole album is http://imgur.com/a/DuxkR here.

Start

End

Colonial Air Force posted:

Nice!

Also, this Hi-Mock is fun. I could get addicted to these things.

E:

Finished building the hi-mock. Man, for a $15 kit, these things have a ton of parts and are very high quality. Plus they're fun to pose!

Let's play the children's favourite, "boot the fascist"!

Oh you, your silly knife can't do anything against my punchy fist!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Gotta figure out a color scheme now.

Commissar Canuck posted:

I just finished up Comrade Katyusha for November :toot:

The lighting isn't the best, but I tried going for a worn, yet not neglected look as far as weathering goes.

The original plan was to have it holding an appropriately sized Ppsh41, but the two I got were either too big or too small. So I fell back on Plan B: Get a cheapo Tiger model and turn it into Panzerklub™

You can't see it in the pictures, but I took a lighter to one side so I could give it some solid dents, along with bending the barrel.

I brave and patriotic 1/72 scale Katyusha truck sacrificed it's rack for the cause :ussr:

The barricade is from Flames of War if anyone is wondering.

AlphaDog posted:

FInished the Hi-Mock, can't seem to get a decent photo. Here it is anyway.

Base Emitter posted:

Hi-Mock + red metallic paint job + 1/24 truck accessories + 1/6 revolvers + low effort base

Blue Footed Booby posted:

^^^ Awesome!

De facto storage glass, best storage glass.

I don't drink coffee or tea, so the mugs that came with my plates and bowls go totally unused. But because the mug I picked to hold my tools has given stalwart and loyal service, and because I'm a sentimental sap, I've marked my designated brush mug so I don't use some other identical but nonetheless different mug.

In hi-mock news: as I said before, I salted my robit. Today, in addition to setting up my Christmas tree, I applied the white wash.

This is with the salt brushed off, but before I went hog wild on the chipping solution.

And here's the result after flailing at the dried but not quite fully set white paint with a damp brush:

Thinking I'm gonna apply some generic number and German cross decals for good measure.