Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wanna vape with Bernie and convince him to run with Henry Rollins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We must ban digital technology so we can have privacy again. Butlerian Rand 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What schools still have communal showers as part of the gym class? In my experience they were primarily used by the sports teams. Is Mike Huckabee making a point about the absurdity of gender segregation in athletics? Since if he identified as a woman he would likely want to play on the women's team.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6ugOBCZAVk

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "Here's a bold embrace of internationalism: let's join the rest of the world and go metric." ~ Lincoln Chafee, during his Presidential campaign announcement.

Hopefully this will finally mean the US will switch to the metric system - internationalism or no - the whole multiples of 10 system is very elegant - I use it most of the time. If anything it simplifies global trade. One product can be made to one spec anywhere.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ditocoaf posted:

Neat trick for reducing unemployment: Take a bunch of full time jobs and turn them into two half-time jobs each! Not applicable to every industry, but if you can pull it off, you'll even save money on benefits! ;)

That isn't necessarily a bad thing - but you need State mechanisms to make multiple part-time jobs practical. Right now there are alot of hosed up HR environments where they expect you to be on-call and tirelessly loyal to them and not your other employer (with no benefit to the individual). These are things that the political and pundit classes are completely out of touch with. That is why I bang on about pay-grades, a unified online job market, and a national retirement age/pension.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
'When this man is administered with drugs obtained illegally, he dies. Watch, kids, and remember - just say no.'

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “The idea that we could fashion a democracy in Iraq seemed to me unrealistic. I was concerned about it when I first heard those words.” ~ Donald Rumsfeld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Od3eL6FJeY&t=1220s

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zeroisanumber posted:

I can't even begin to say how angry this makes me.

The Don is hoping to get his old gig back if Jeb wins it. Paul promised. Don's got a whole rolodex filled with defense contractor CEOs.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Don't boo Rick. I saw 'Caucus' on Netflix and it successfully made him a sympathetic character. Unlike most GOP candidates he is willing to trash the idea of 'flat tax'.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Alien replicons from beyond the moon!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

silvergoose posted:

Remind me, why is TAA required in order to have the TPA vote mean anything?

So Congress could make a token gesture in the interest of workers instead of only liberalizing trade toward maximum profits.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boon posted:

Well, no. It's an oversimplification because the TPP has direct impact to things like Defense and strategic planning .

So other things factor in such as - how will the next President deal with China? Since Obama likely won't be in office when TPP is hashed out and brought to an up/down vote in Congress. Why are there no alternatives? Where is FTAA?

Globalization has been running out of control and they want wider trade areas?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boon posted:

What the gently caress does "Globalization has been running out of control" mean?

Migrant crises, ISIL recruitment/weapons, climate change, invasive species, the list goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PQrz8F0dBI

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fojar38 posted:

Regardless of whether or not it's "out of control," globalization is both a fact and inevitable.

It's human activity! You control tariffs dummy! Get rid of contiguous borders before you have unlimited sea trade.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fojar38 posted:

TPP itself is definitely going to pass at some point. I personally think that Obama will eventually be able to squeeze it through because I don't think Democrats actually LIKE robbing him of one of his legacy-defining achievements and this is more a quid-pro-quo to the GOP after five years of conservative obstructionism. In the worst case scenario for the TPP, we'll have to wait for the next administration before it will finally be passed.

ho-hum legacy, achievements, what else do the TV pundits say? But we just have to wait and 'finally' it will be passed - even though none of the details are known to the public. Why do you see TPP passage as inevitable, if not desirable?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stultus Maximus posted:

He also apparently thinks that the Ukranian conflict is America's top geopolitical priority.

It is so he doesn't have to think about his 2012 'arm the Syrian Rebels' policy

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nixon was a pretty goony president. He was a quaker and Eisenhower's VP! He was basically MIGF.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

What would a Mormon know of coffee?

Mitt has tasted coffee ice cream, the technical proscription is against 'hot' drinks.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pastor Perineum posted:

so it sounds like you can't get around it with a frappuccino or iced tea or whatever

that god is a tricky sonofabitch

Rule-lawyer God is a classic.

chitoryu12 posted:

"Strong drink" is currently defined as any alcoholic beverage. This wasn't always the case, but the Temperance movement of the 19th century (that eventually led to the Prohibition) led to an eventual ban on alcohol altogether instead of merely distilled liquors like whiskey.

This was a surprising thing from the Ken Burns documentary on prohibition. Hard cider used to be super common (even kids would drink it), and social problems were blamed on whiskey and other hard liquors. People were misinformed that the 21st amendment would only prohibit high proof drinks, not mandate teetotaling.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Butts posted:

Speaking of hourly wages, you'd think that would justify a bump for hourly wages too.

I don't think there are OT limits for hourly workers. Employers just never give them 40, or they work the 40+ off the clock.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bring back the Bullmoose Party

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There was an anti-Christian attack today, but you probably won't see it discussed much.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Props to the roommate for not snitching and to his dad for buying his openly racist son a loving handgun for his birthday.

Maybe they were hoping he would kill himself?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

That would only be resolved by a very long term racial reconciliation policy or intelligent policing that focuses on societal disruptions based on verified data. I'm not optimistic on those solutions.

They are trying the latter in the UK.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

My understanding was that the UK was recreating the Economic League's index card system to target and crush "troublemakers" (read as: employees who know their rights) with the force of the state behind it now, not that they were using advanced data mining to identify threats and weighting them appropriately with the focus on harm reduction rather than class based property protection,

I mean I'd be happy to be wrong, but I thought Michael Grove was in charge and he's a loving moron

Yeah, I just mentioned they were trying it - not that it isn't completely bollocks'd.

Front page content

I'm a trans-ethnic Briton.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 19, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Amergin posted:

How civilized are the people you're giving guns to?

Phrenology exams as a requirement for gun ownership.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think we need to research and study the process of radicalization to better understand and prevent these whackos from getting created.

That might be difficult since 'convincing young men to kill and die for a cause' is pretty essential to societies. The concern is individuals being radicalized by 'niche' causes.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

tripods and timers exist

But is Roof smart enough to use them?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How is targeting a state senator to trigger a race war not a political act? Did they say the same thing with Loughner?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

That's a hard call to make, given that we necessarily almost never hear of would-have-been attacks that they actively stopped or simply prevented from their normal activities.

They always hold a presser when they make arrests and foil an attack.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Huey, please, I'm just doing my job. It's a crappy job but someone has to kick people in the nuts, and sometimes you kick the wrong person in the nuts and that's tragic. But now we can both make sure it's the right pair of nuts that get kicked.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

This year's highway appropriations bill is titled the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act of 2015.

In other words: the DRIVE Act :negative:

Joe is a real human being and a real hero.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hasters posted:

So who's still saying she's not a New Deal/Great Society liberal at this point?

Trying to gloss over (and sometimes entrench) institutional racism to appease certain voting blocs? Yeah sounds about right.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hillary knows that addressing Confederate symbols isn't going to resolve racial issues, but passing TPP, TTIP, and TISA will. For you see more trade means more opportunity and will grow the pie for everyone, moving us toward a prosperous and post-racial future.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Which states have adopted the gay pride flag? :allears:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vertical Lime posted:

And as it turns out, the Jefferson Davis Highway in Arlington was part of a planned cross-country highway bearing that name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Jefferson_Davis_Highway

I think it is reasonable to keep Davis around.

He was a statesman prior to the war and during the war he was constantly begging the confederate states to coordinate the war effort but the southern political class were anarchocapitalists so he was herding cats. His life story is a lesson on why federalism trumps anarchy.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

Tell you what, you pick a murderous despot from history and I'll generate a near identical paragraph to the one you wrote for them

Americans shouldn't deny their history. Like I said, Jefferson Davis is a character worth remembering. Don't try to blank out history.

“Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.” - Stephen King

War is War. War is hell. How easy it is to forget.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Supraluminal posted:

This is why we have a Holocaust museum, but we don't have statues of Nazi war criminals in public spaces. You can memorialize history without celebrating it.

What is true of the 'shades of gray' in World War 2 is true of all wars. People shouldn't proudly fly the idiot rebel flag or have the faces of any murderers as a fashion statement - but I'm saying roads named after historic figures aren't worth attacking. It adds some 'lore' to our world. For example I went to 'Churchill Jr High' - named after the WW2 British PM. He did some bad stuff.

Humans are 70% Good 30% Bad.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'll drive on Jefferson Davis but I would never let my kids play with him!

Can someone make a mirror image of :bahgawd: with a Civil War Blue Cap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

The memorials that you are defending exist specifically to deny history. That's what the Lost Cause mythology is all about, covering up what really happened :psyduck:

Memorials/museums can be given additional context - the popular understanding of the Civil War absolutely needs to change. Slavery has always been unjust - but it only became economically obsolete with the advent of industrialization - where literally owning human muscle power is now clearly inferior to owning a machine that can do the same work. The ruling class in the South was so attached to this economic model they broke up the nation trying to preserve it. The fact that this caste system used childish logic based on phenotype hasn't done this country any favors.

I'm all for reminding people that the Battle Flag is a national embarrassment and talking about the Civil War as a very ugly chapter in the labor struggle - but I think a national 'debate' over street names is a distraction from wider issues. If local activists want to rename 'Nathan Bedford Forest Lane' I wish them luck - but having it dominate national politics is pure media spectacle.

• Locked thread