Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So after skeptically avoiding DBSuper like the plague due to some bad experiences with Saint Seiya, I finally caved in after here many people praise it and caught up in 2 days. I must say I really liked evertyhing as a whole, between the fights, the characters, the comedy (Toriyama is really good in this department, he knows when to throw a slapstick and for how long not to ruin the mood) and :gasp: the plot and character development...in Dragon Ball!?!?! Holy balls was I amazed by this.

My only petpeeve came on the last episodes when they decide to use the Mafuba to impron Zumasu . I felt that they threw away a lot of consistency just for the sake of that throwback trip. Not once in the original Z series and in GT did the heroes ever stop to consider to use this technique so it was to be asumed that it wouldn't work on strong enemies like Majin Buu. But now not only do they do it, but it would have actually worked if they hadn't made a rather important mistake (Goku ok, I can accept, Vegeta not so much, but Bulma?) that makes the throwback intention even more obvious.

Something I hope gets answered (and probably will) in the future is how are Kaioshins and Gods of Destruction are chosen. It is hinted as something hereditary, since Gomasu was training Zamasu to become the new Kaio, but at the same time doesn't seem like it, since Zamasu "stole" the Kaioshin powers in the bad future yet no corresponding God of Destruction appeared, and it most certainly is not appointed, since bad future Zen'o would have noticed all his Kaioshins and Gods of Destruction missing

My prediction on how this will unfold:

Vegetto fights Zamasu to a standstill. Angered that he cannot defeat the mortals, Zamasu uses Black's ring to go back to the time he came from (since this was stated as the way the ring worked and no limitation was given as to how long you can stay in the future) in order to take revenge on the rest of Goku and Vegeta's friends from that timeline (Chichi and Goten are dead here). Zen'o or Beerus and Whis notice his presence and destroy him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I think Zamasu is one of the better DB villains. I mean granted his whole "NINGEN!":argh: is deliciously hammy, but it goes along with his narcissistic self absorbed personality. The fact that he is also a complete monster who gleefuly rubs in his murder of Chichi and Goten, delivers a The Reason You Suck/Breaking Speech to Trunks, and has basically already won (bar intervention of the Super Dragon Balls from Goku's timeline) make him stand out as a far greater threat than Freeza, Cell or Majin Buu ever were.

Also this loving guy

Nice loving job Gowasu!

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 10, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've not been in elementary school in nearly 20 years, what's this a reference to?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/muh

It's supposed to be ZaMUHsu, but whoever made that image hosed up

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Manatee Cannon posted:

if he was really smart, he would have taken other zamasu's advice and wished for an immortal body, then beat the poo poo out of him self over and over again like it's that snes dbz game and got infinitely stronger

poo poo if he was smart, he would have wished to switch bodies with ZEN'O instead of Goku. Probably Super Shenron wouldn't have been able to grant that wish, but hey, it would have been worth a shot.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

But then Zamasu wouldn't be with his true love.Zamasu

This hasn't been posted in a while. This is the best scene in Dragon Ball Super.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
This thread needs a :argh: but with Zamasu. Extra points if it says "NINGEN!"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
IMO the episode was good, and any fault it may have stem from a previous episode, namely the Mafuba episode. Zamasu poo poo talks ningen, Trunks gives a rousing speech about ningen's chikara, Trunks pulls a move out of his rear end and wins . Had the Mafuba episode not existed, this wouldn't feel like a rehash of the scenario(specially since Mafuba suddenly being considered as an option when it was never before against the likes of Cell or Buu crosses the suspension of disbelief)

Also the episode would have worked much better if instead of retconning the Potato Fusion into lasting one hour and running out of time earlier, they made it like "Oh no, Blue's power is too strong, it broke the Potato Earrings and now the fusion will revert

Not to mention that if anything Blue should have INCREASED the duration of the Fusion since he is more Godlike than normal Vegito, and God Potato fusion is unlimited/lasts longer according to this new retcon rule

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Another neat little thing I liked Trunks slices Zamasu dick first instead of the usual anime overhead slash Take that you self absorbed (yet lovable) rear end in a top hat :mad:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I want to see hardcore fans losing their poo poo trying to figure out where in the power scale does future Trunks sit.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is the most Toriyama arc, in my opinion.

:agreed:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rutibex posted:

Official power scale:
0)Bulma
1)Lord Zeno
2)The high priest
3)Those 4 other guys Whis mentioned
4)Future Trunks
5)Vados
6)Whis
7)Hit
8)Botamo
9)Vegitto
10)Super Zamasu
11)Goku
12)Vegita
13)Goku Black
14)Beerus
15)Champa
16)Golden Frieza
17)Future Mai
18)Zamasu
19)Piccolo
20)Gowasu

Edit to change a glaring mistake

EXCUSE ME but where is our hero Auta Magetta!?!?! Had Vegeta not gone all bigot and hurt his feelings, Earth would be sitting on Universe 6 right now

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Every time I heard someone go "Super is pretty good past the Revival of F arc" there's been a wild chorus of "Shut the gently caress up Super is just awful." so I passed on watching the show, that and just hearing Black Goku sounded dumb.

Still couldn't help but find myself bored enough to watch the last few episodes and while I have no idea what the gently caress was going on other then Zamasu is a huge jerk and it takes place in Future Trunks time I thought what I saw was cool as all hell in a cornball kind of way?? I'm really not used to Granny Goku but why do people hate this arc? I'm kinda tempted to go back and actually watch it if it's the same quality as episode 66

I used to steer away from Super too due to hearing this same opinions, but I started watching it last Monday and got so hooked up I caught up by Wednesday.

It's classic Dragon Ball, which means good quality shonen. It has fun fights that are resolved by people actually fighting instead of explaining their powers to the audience (something that a lot of current animes tend to do, give some credit to your audience for fucks sake), it knows when to drop jokes without breaking the atmosphere, and surprisingly for Dragon Ball it has some really good emotional and character development moments, mostly on this last arc, but also present in the previous arcs too.

Even the filler episodes are entertaining to watch. The fact that Toriyama has apparently been given free rein to write the story whichever way he wants means parallel universes and timelines fuckery, both plot points that he is really good at writing.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

I-It's exactly how I dreamed it :swoon:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'm gonna miss Zamasu :rip: Can't wait 20 years for his resurrection movie. We can all imagine what his Hell looks like

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Carlosologist posted:

the dubbed slice of life stuff is going to be great

Can't wait for the Goku vs Monaka fight dub

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I want another Frieza race guy from another universe to show up and be all nice, and everyone be "Ha, ha, we are not falling for this poo poo rear end in a top hat" and beat him up real bad, only then for his wife and children to come running to his unconscious body and everyone feels like an rear end and psyche! Turns out this Frieza is also bad, and the wife and children were just other Friezas wearing a wig and makeup

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blaze Dragon posted:

From what we've seen, there's honestly little difference in competence amongst the universes. Beerus and Champa are equally foul-tempered and equally-lazy.

One key difference:

Champa offered a reward, whichever it may be, to the fighter that scored him the win
Beerus offered not to kill Goku and Vegeta on the spot if they didn't do as he wanted

Granted Beerus got better in the latest arc, but Champa still seems like a nicer and more reasonable God of Destruction.

One WMG I have though, what would have Champa done with the Super Dragon Balls if his eggs turned out to be tastier than Ramen? Cause him wanting to get Earths switched was what sparked the whole Tournament for the Dragon Balls

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 18, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DJ-HUESDxg

Something I found on the internet. Amazing how 1.25% speed can make the opening more hype and feel more in line with other Dragon Ball Openings.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rutibex posted:

Why did Trunks go back to the wrecked Earth? why not travel far enough back to before the Androids?

From what little I remember about the time traveling talk back in DBZ, when you travel to the past, time keeps going on in the future (so if you go to the past, stay 10 mins, then go back to the future, 10 mins would have passed in the future too)

After all, you are not travelling back in time, but travelling back to the past of a separate timeline. The same concept is used in Chrono Trigger too, and it kinda resembles the "Past and present coexist" of X-MenDoFP

So no, it is not possible to return back to before the Androids...

HELL, by all logic, they aren't returning to their original timeline either. Based on what Beerus and Whis said, they going back to a previous save state on Trunk's Timeline to stop Zamasu would only create another Time Ring, ie. another completely different timeline, one in which Trunks and Mai already exist.

This episode tried to wrap all things up fast (why? this arc was very succesful, are they on a limited budget or time constraint?) and ended up creating a convoluted mess not seen since Inception :psyboom:

On the plus side, this means that good boy Zamasu technically did win in killing all the filthy

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Zamasu.jpg and Zamasu.jpg invading the whole universe is the most accurate "90's Movie Computer Virus" I've seen in a while

This episode was bad

This episode was good

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rutibex posted:

Bulma has the power to create universes and Gods. She is stronger than any kaioshin.

:eyepop:

Way to go from that helpless girl asking a 5 year old to help her find the Dragon Balls.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

notaspy posted:

When goku goes back to the future to pick up zeno technically isn't he the one that is upsidedown? Zeno is the god of all things so his up is the only true up.

This are the kind of questions that last episode failed to answer for being so rushed.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rhonne posted:

Both Zenos are going to get into a dumb argument and they'll end up erasing each other from existence, and it's all going to be Goku's fault.

If we learned anything from this arc, is that you are your best friend and will always agree with yourself

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
All that stands in the way of Bulma becoming the supreme ruler of all is her becoming friends with Zeno-sama, then travel back in time a few minutes after she becomes friend with him and create a time split event. Now she has 2 Zeno-sama friends to do her bidding.

Repeat.

We need more Evil Bulma. Like GT but on a grander scale.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

If Black Goku is any example the end result would be "Haha, holy poo poo, this body is doing things I can't even explain!!"

Blockhouse posted:

"I just ripped a hole in space-time I don't give a gently caress"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIkmAjNReAM&t=229s

This was such a crowning moment of awesome for the writers. "Who gives a poo poo about what it is? It looks awesome, get hyped!"

Also foreshadow "You cannot grasp the true form of Goku Black's attack"

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 22, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Carlosologist posted:

Gohan just gets exhausted from flight easily, says the pessimist in me

And Piccolo was there to save him again in case he fainted mid-flight.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

tsob posted:

and it's only really in Super that he's contrite about his actions or seems willing to resolve them. And even then, only because he's already rich.

I mean yeah, if we overlook him throwing 16's head towards Gohan, or him attempting to take down Fat Buu (albeit in a dumb way) only to end up turning him to the good guy's side, or him stepping up to loving Kid Buu after witnessing him mop the ground with Goku and Vegeta causing Fat Buu to fight back, or him convincing the whole Earth to give Goku enough energy to finish Kid Buu off, then yeah, he didn't do much to redeem himself in the original series and Super painted him in a more Jerk with a Heart of Gold fashion...

EXCEPT, even in non-canon material he has always shown shades of this. In Fusion Reborn when the zombies are attacking the city, he is out fighting them. In GT when he believes Baby killed Pan he steps up with the rest of the Z fighters to challenge him.

His heart has always been in the right place

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I want an alternate timeline Evil Bulma + Evil Satan team up as supreme rulers of their Multiverse.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Raxivace posted:

IIRC in the manga that was supposed to be Launch in that panel originally, but Toriyama changed his mind and had it be 17 instead but kept the original dialogue he wanted to use.

Or so I hear. Take the explanation with a grain of salt.

B-but...

Toriyama openly admitted that after the Saiyan saga he straight up forgot that Launch ever existed...

I think Toriyama is just trolling with us at this point

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Funky Valentine posted:

And Bra will be stronger than Pan.

I was gonna comment how Bra is now out of the loop since she should have been born already.

Then I went to compare Pan's and Bra's birth date from GT and they are pretty much the same age.

Bra was 8-9 years old in GT

This is how an 8-9 years old looks like

And to gently caress even more with you, this is an 8-9 year old girl standing right next to an adult (albeit a short one)

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 30, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rutibex posted:

They should have brought he back to defeat immortal Zamasu.

I mean, they brought the Mafuba despite it rising the question of "Why did they never consider the Mafuba for Buu when he got very uppity".

Rabbit Boss turning Zamasu into an immortal carrot better happen in one of the Xenoverse games.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rhonne posted:

I'm surprised Baby made it as high on the list as he did, but he really is a cool concept for a villain. Which can probably be said for most of GT, "cool concept, poo poo execution."

I particularly liked TeamFourstar's review on the Shadow Dragons

"The overuse of the Dragon Balls over the last 30 years has corrupted them, releasing a force of destruction that perverts the cornerstone of the entire series, turning their prized Macguffin into their final challenge...
(beat)
HOW COULD YOU GO WRONG!?"

Really the amount of wrong the Shadow Dragon arc had is just mind boggling. You have 7 Dragons, then on the competent Z fighters at that point you had Goku + Vegeta + Gohan + Majuub + Goten + Trunks + Pan = 7.

One Z fighter for each Dragon. This poo poo practically writes itself.

Hell, they could have had Goten and Trunks fight a pair of dragons that eventually fuse together and bring an adult Gotenks into the series.

Majuub could have had an actual fight.

But no, instead all fighters whose name was not "Goku" decide "welp, this poo poo is beyond our abilities, we will leave everything in your hands Son, even if the stakes involve the end of the universe" till they eventually decide "welp, actually we do care about helping, too bad we made our mind right when you were fighting the strongest dragon against who we truly are incapable of helping and now you are worn out from fighting the other 6".

Seriously, people say Super is the "Goku and Vegeta Show", but GT was the "Goku and Goku's helpless granddaughter Show".

vvvvv my bad, fixed that

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 14, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Kuroyama posted:

I remember that all the dragons also represent one of the wishes made during the series, and one of the dragons is pissed because they were Oolong's panty wish.

While this idea was good again, as it was the norm for GT, it was poorly executed.

Hell, they started GT with "how about we go back to the origins of Dragon Ball when it was about humor and exploration", but then saw that the fans were not too thrilled, so come the Baby saga "gently caress YEAH, FIGHTS!!!except it's only Goku against everyone"

But then come the Shadow Dragon saga they decide "how about we go back to the origins of Dragon Ball when it was about humor and exploration"

And inbetween they had the Super Android 17 saga, which till this day I still can't understand why it happened :psyduck: Was 17 enough of a popular character to merit his own arc...anywhere in the world?

Anyways, back on topic, it was smart that the way to exploit the embarassing-wish-Dragon's weakness was to make something embarassing, but since it was Goku doing everything again it lost impact, not to mention Goku is not above doing embarassing stuff.

Now had Vegeta been the one that had to go naked in order to distract the Dragon, that may have worked a lot better. Super is aware of this stuff and hits comedy gold when using Vegeta or Piccolo as butt monkeys.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 14, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I haven't played Fusions, nor do I know anything about it aside from this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HzH1CoFGMQ

Which already makes it a great game and I hope Super draws inspiration from it.

I want a 10 year time skip so that Goten and Trunks can get into their teens, and then a 5 way fusion between Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Goten and Trunks.

How would it even be called? Can a clever pun relating vegetables, carrot, rice, afterlife and underwear even be made by ningens?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 14, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Bra has been removed from the mainline canon

Bra will be Yamcha and Bulma's daughter in Yamcha's superior new spinoff series.

And yes, Bra will be able to go Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.

That's how they go around the Buu arc.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 14, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Spiritus Nox posted:

And, I mean...have we ever had a deep dragon ball villain, if you don't count reformees? Frieza is "I'm awesome and the strongest and want to rule the world forever." Cell is "I'm awesome and the strongest and want to eat people and destroy the world forever." Buu is "BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!" And they're all good villains!

Yeah this is exactly my problem with TFS reviews.

You know Cell and Buu are gonna be ranked up pretty high, and Frieza probably snatch number 1 or 2 because of how ruthless they were/how amazing their fights were/their impact on the series, despite all their personalities pretty much being condensed to "i'm awesome and the strongest and want to rule/destroy the world"

Zamasu is perphaps the first villain to kinda have a motive and personality, even if it was one dimensional.

He killed Goku, and then Chichi and Little Goku, jumped universes and destroyed almost all Ningens and then took his time to savour every second of his Earth killing spree. And killed the Bulma that can create timelines (so in a way he killed the strongest character of the franchise) so he is ruthless too

His fights are perphaps the most divisive part of him. Personally I liked Zamasu's fights more than Goku Black's, mainly because he was spamming his immortality to get cheap shots in. Granted Black Goku's "lol I just don't know what the poo poo anymore" fight was also fun. When they merged the interest of the fights shifted more towards Goku, Vegeta and Trunks than to what Merged Zamasu could do.

And finally, his impact on the series so far, depending how you look at it he is either the first villain to win, or the first villain to cause the heroes to lose.

So yeah, TFS ranking is more of the style of "If we don't like it, objectivity goes out the window".

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

I mean, if the stake is the whole Universe 7 being destroyed, would it be so crazy to just resurrect Frieza and go "Look dipshit, this universe you've been trying to rule is about to be completely gone, so you better do your part and help!" instead of bringing frigging Roshi, Tien or Krillin?

edit: nvm, forgot Krillin is supposed to be there to die and give Goku the proper motivation to reach SSGSS4

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Unless Hell is also going to be destroyed Frieza is exactly the kind fo guy who'd throw a fight and doom reality to spite Goku.

It is. The only reason Frieza ever went to Hell is because he died on Earth (or that's how I understood it worked).

Also

Guess Beerus is gonna regret not being able to bail out to "Future Trunks Bail Out" timeline

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

HitTheTargets posted:

I hope for dumb bullshit, that's why I'm watching DBS.

New thread title, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Manatee Cannon posted:

gohan did tho

Gohan is the Yamcha of Saiyans until this arc or Universe Survival prove otherwise.

• Locked thread