Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Ninninger has better suits and mechs.

Both shows have bad suits and mechs but the trains edge out the dumb ninja stuff imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Gosei Ultimate qualifies, I mean yeah they didn't get it until more than halfway through the series but it still was a main mecha that was just one piece.

Yeah but like

It was bad

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

As well as Bragi-Oh from Kyoryuger, but I guess that depends on whether you classify them as main mecha or not. Of all those, Gosei Ultimate was really the only one that was used as a replacement for the team's previous main mecha (though they did still pull out Gosei Great from time to time) whereas all the others got one or two episodes before they became "another piece to add to the super combination."

Oh yeah Lion ha-oh as well from that extremely good show Ninninger

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Exciting to finally see an HIV+ Rider.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Does that whale mech have a loving harpoon launcher?

Presumably for scientific research.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

What the gently caress has Silver done to his hair

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

It's a shame cause Nininger has some of the best Ranger suit and mecha designs in the franchise

A shameful snipe.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Rewatching Go Busters at the moment, and it's just occurred to me how weird it is that Li-oh is introduced without an accompanying ranger/buster. I understand ratings were tanking for the show, so it seems a bit weird they didn't try to shake up the cast a bit.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

In the age of Ex-Aid, who would have thought video games would return to the world of Double...

https://twitter.com/TV4D/status/789320583041331200?lang=en

Goddamn beautiful

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Agreed, although it feels like it's in reverse for a Henshin sequence

That won't stop me from yelling "CYCLONE! JOKER!" whenever I slide on the controller dongles.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Whoa, hello first zord reveal.

A lot less upright. More Gabutyra inspired?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Burkion posted:

I just

Why would you gently caress with the upright design

So what it's not realistic it's a giant goddamn alien robot t-Rex who gives a poo poo

Maybe it's to differentiate it from the inevitable sequel Dragonzord

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Good. Good.

... also is it me or does it look totally like a Bloodborne enemy? I have an instinctive urge to visceral attack it before my Frenzy meter builds.

The MMPR thread suggested it would be a better fit for Xcom.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Caphi posted:

9ranger kind of looks like a Kyoryuger type of deal where you start out with the base five, and then you have separate runners for inducting Aquila Pink and Scorpio Orange the way Kyoryuger gained Gold and Violet, and then there's a separate category (since Libra Gold and Ophiuchus Silver have special armor or something, on top of being the only metals and the only non-animals). The tenth will be a mid/end super special spoiler addition.

Suspect you're right. Kyoryuger demonstrated that the more rangers and mechs you can assemble, the better. Hope this follows the same path.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Oushi Black is a robot, built for wrestling.

:allears:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Parallax posted:

I started with Gobusters, which is a good place to start because it borrows a bunch of Power Rangers terminology and also is cool as gently caress

Same. The only caveat here is it sets a super high bar for subsequent series - only Shinkenger and Kyouruger have been around the same standard that I've seen.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Magiranger is a pretty good starting point too, solid series with a pretty strong theme that seems to have sprung from Japan discovering Harry Potter.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I've been watching this goddamn show too long, I recognise that rooftop.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

mateo360 posted:

So if we use red as the base suit, blue is furry, orange has the tail, silver has scales, pink has wings, black is bulky, gold is more robotic and Yellow has the long nose visor. So what is different with Green's suit?

Green has a vagina. Really unique.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Burkion posted:

Bioman

Bioman

Biomen

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Larryb posted:

Toei generally seems to try something experimental with the formula following an anniversary season (Hurricanger, Gekiranger, and Go-Busters for example) and more often than not it usually means we get a decent show out of it. So yeah, I'm looking forward to Kyuranger at the moment (the Pink Ranger is apparently being voiced by the same woman who played Luka in Gokaiger, which is another plus).

I just wish she wasn't in a suit. That lady was decent at acting, seems like wasted potential.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Watching Ex-Aid and it rules but the episode where Hiiro performs surgery to cure a guy with terminal pancreatic cancer is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I hope the show stabilizes into something nice, burning through "red vs blue in the beach to regain the will to fight", "almost dying in the cold vacuum of space" followed by "variation on Running Transformation" and that big awesome megazord fight was dope, but makes me worry about the legs the show will actually have.

It's cool, the legs are interchangeable this year.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Just caught the first episode of Kyuranger. Pacing is probably a thing they should work on. They crammed so much into that episode, holy poo poo.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

mikeycp posted:

don't watch tvn

I dunno, their sub of the first episode of 9ranger seemed much better thought out than the OT one.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Ignis posted:

Alright, I'll bite. Can you elaborate? (I'm honestly curious, not trying to antagonize you or anything)

My preferred source sends to use TVN, so I've had the chance to watch the OT subs and then the TVN ones.

TVN seems to have put a little bit more thought into their translations. Where OT translates the morphing cry into 'say the change/go', TVN goes with 'seiza change/go' because the thing is called a Seiza Blaster and seiza apparently translates to 'constellation'. They also call Hammy 'Hame' because it's part of the word 'chameleon'. It's kind of little things but when the whole show is apparently based around puns I'm enjoying that TVN are putting the effort in to understand and convey every piece of wordplay.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

MOTHERFUCKER THEY SAID TRANSLATING poo poo WAS CULTURAL WHITEWASHING

gently caress YOU THEY AREN'T PUTTING THE EFFORT INTO poo poo

gently caress dude, I don't know the history. Sorry for bringing it up.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Getsuya posted:

Okay. One of the things that interested me in Kyuuranger was the non-human characters which I think would make things more interesting and fantastic. From what I can tell Zhyuoger also has non-human rangers so maybe I'll check that one out.

Any other sentai with non-human rangers?

Ninninger

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Looking up Kyuranger stuff, I found out that Raptor 283 is voiced by the same person who played Luka from Gokaiger, which apparently makes her the second person to play a main Sentai member in two different series, after Jyunichi Haruta. So that's pretty cool.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Maybe stop complaining about realism in a show about doctors fighting the sentient manifestation of the Y2K bug.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

TVN is... fine. Perfectly serviceable. Watch however you like.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Scans show 9ranger are about to become 12ranger.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, I have a serious question: do doctors in Japan not have to take the Hippocratic oath? Do they not get taught to save all lives, then send them to the cops afterwards?

Because we have here two licensed doctors - even if one had his license revoked - who work(ed) in a hospital, who perform non-magical Kamen Rider operations, who are real doctors - and they're out and out telling Emu that no, they're no interested in saving lives. In fact, instead of saving the literally dozens of people in danger, they're more interested in interrogating Emu about his past and then leaving.

I don't, I don't understand. I know it's being played up for drama, but this is so jarringly out of place it's hard to swallow.

How do you feel about cancer

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's bad and the sooner a cure can be found and cheaply produced for everyone the better.

Why is this a relevant question?

No reason

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Pyroi posted:

Looks like the belt has some sort of crank or a motorcycle handle on it?

Kamen Rider Hog Cranker

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Larryb posted:

Reminder that this is the man who thought it was a good idea to put a rape scene in the Faiz novel (among several other questionable decisions over the years), I don't want him anywhere near this series (though admittedly I am kind of morbidly curious to see how he would handle it).

Presumably you'd be able to count up the sins.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

That movie Rita's relationship with Goldar was sensual and sexual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

I will fight you for saying Ex-Aid has awful suits. I will concede that Lazer's suit is awful, however.

They're mostly over the top stupid awesome but the bodysuits all featuring shorts is a bit weird.

• Locked thread