Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Waffleman_ posted:

Ready Player Onedam

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Same

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/lovegenerator/status/1720595988593934719

Man I would kill for this. Can this be the next setting for retsu isekai?

Lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I like to think of this as the "stormtrooper effect." In 0079, we saw Char (by reputation, anyway) and Amuro blow the gently caress out of battleships, and the Battle of Loum is oft-retold as the battle where battleships were made obsolete by mobile suits running roughshod over them.

The nuance of this is entirely lost on the listener. Amuro and Char were loving terrifying pilots capable of feats no one else at the time could muster. Loum was a fleet battle AUGMENTED by a mobile suit corps on one side that could take advantage of the fact the BBs were not prepared for anti-mobile-suit combat and distracted by needing to shoot down the other side's BBs.

Compare to Star Wars, where stormtroopers are inaccurate to the point of being a meme in the original movies despite being pretty competent when not squaring off against three kids with Plot Armor.

Yeah I mean these were kinda callbacks to Taranto and most of the Pacific War where both IJN and USN carriers quickly and decisively showed that the time of the battleships had ended. I always felt that it was a pretty clear analogy to carrier aircraft > mobile suits and their impact on combat, even in SEED although its not as direct and imo obvious as 0079 / origin

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Top Gun is a great movie shut yo mouth. It's certainly more entertaining on a moment to moment basis than 0083.

Though Macross Plus is better than both.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Sure but doing a repeat of the 0083 colony drop with Delaz Fleet 2 and Gato 2 in 0084 doesn't sound cool. It sounds creatively bankrupt.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

They are very different series with very different goals.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

War and Pieces posted:

UC mobile suits have laser messages which range from being bullshit radio to just moress code but they've obviously got to be in line of sight for that. Don't they also have some sort of tin can on a string device?

In thunderbolt they had a lil magnetic patch and wire they shot to an adjacent mech to talk with

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Quattro is a Char so it goes without saying

What

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Calling the OYW "the Revolutionary War" is giving me big "War of Northern Aggression" vibes

Lol yeah definitely

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cool robot explosions at least.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Part of me can't wait to hate watch this ugly pos

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I think it's inherently a more interesting setup than 0079 but the execution starts slipping in the Earth desert arc and really falls off the rails towards the end.

I did a rewatch last year and liked it more than I remembered, but by the end just was kind of almost glad it was over.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SgtSteel91 posted:

I thought it was believable, they all gossiped about it in the mess hall but didn’t want to make it even more awkward by calling it out and leaving it to Kira, Flay, and Sai to figure it out, and Flay even laid it out that her engagement was in word only and with her father dead there’s no real reason for her to be together with Sai when she wants to use Kira as a weapon to wipe out all the Coordinators for her and kill himself in the process loves Kira

Yeah i don’t remember it on the rewatch as that terrible. Flays world went to poo poo and the relationship seemed like a sham to her, her fiance was slow on the uptake and sucked for him but didn’t seem like Kira was pushing anything that Flay didn’t choose for herself.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's OK to say that the Federation was kind of bad without veering into "the Nazi's had some good reasons to x" kind of rhetoric.

Neither were good, the Fed got even worse after the OYW but Zeon are unambiguously "bad".

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SEED was my entry to Gundam so ill check it out but years later its all very mediocre vs original UC

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Saw this, got a laugh.

lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

That thing was too big to be called a sword.
Too big, too thick, too heavy, and too rough, it was more like a large hunk of iron.

(Sorry. Someone had to.)

Nice

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I think it's worth mentioning that, after factoring in Mika's absolute pragmatism when it comes to fighting, you realize that simply one of the best ways to deal with mobile weapons in IBO is to turn the pilot to jelly. You can make armor that deflects beams or is hard to cut through, but if you give the pilot 50Gs of acceleration when you baseball bat them with your giant club, they're gonna look like the one dude when he hit the ring in the Expanse and just got pureed by the forces involved. Heck the suit might even survive and you can just hose out the cockpit later when you salvage it.

“Nothing but hamburger “

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

This is such a dead zone until Freedom gets released outside of Japan and or Zeon Adventures in Stalingrad releases on Netflix.

When's Zeon - Eastern Front come out again?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

Manga doesn't come with jazz

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chuchu knocking a motherfucker out was peak catharsis of the franchise’s misogyny of the past

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not just delivering an absolutely brutal OHK, but actually letting Chuchu and the other girl slug it out instead of arbitrarily breaking up the fight before it could get going in earnest.

poo poo ruled. Chuchu would have just beat down Beecha or Mondo the first second they started poo poo that put the others at risk.

10/10 one of the best side characters in the whole franchise. Bonus that they let her continue to develop and help in her own best way at the end.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

If Anaheim Electronics got teleported into the Ad Stella timeline they'd be running things by the end of the week.

Hah! True

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

wait did anaheim even do anything with cybernewtypes? that was a titans in house project right?

They were messing with them in Unicorn no?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kanos posted:

Zeon Zum Deikun's primary proposed policy is "almost everyone on earth moves into space and everyone establishes a joint conservatory organization to protect Earth". It's simply not remotely plausible in any sense, given that there is a zero percent chance everyone on Earth wants to leave Earth.

Until you promise them cool robots

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

The Ramba Ral vs Master Asia "Battle of the 'staches" round was decided by a single vote.

yeah that seemed like a really tough call

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MechaX posted:

I’m mad because I want both to progress, this is some awful bracketing!

Yeah this ones rough

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/DarthVeda00/status/1765374530447446473?t=-PAj9JWijnahDUO9zzyaSQ&s=19

That was a straight up brawl but the sucker punch beat the shining finger

Not sure how to feel about this.... glad for chuchu but its also a good bit of recency bias imo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

i think there's a big difference in specifying that it's 0079 kai and not considering his future as an international man of mystery

Is Quattro in the bracket then?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Kai's got one of the most interesting arcs outside the mains in MSG. Dude earned some respect.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

It's a pretty tight race so far but nothing has come close to the 1-vote difference of the Mustache duel between Ral and Asia.

Im glad that went down to a single vote

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I had to watch lovely gundams so you can't like gundams until you watch lovely gundams and then you get to like the good new one

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

bright vs sayla is insanely close. bright's still in the lead by only 9 votes. when i was paying attention to it earlier it was a literal exact tie.

Yeah that one seems like it was gonna be a coinflip, same more or less fanbase, both characters popular and majorly relevant to the story. I figure Bright might have a bit of an edge because he shows up more in the UC but Sayla certainly has some weird waifu contingent out there as well...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Yeah things are bad enough when he’s there, imagine how many Gundams would get stolen if Bright wasn’t there.

Counterpoint: I can imagine a different Feddie captain just summarily executing Amuro, Camile, Judau etc like 3-4 eps into each of their series.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I like Miorinne as much as anyone, but I gotta go for THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST MASTER ASIA.

Yeah kinda feeling that way too. Either one winning is OK but I wanna see how far Master Asia can go

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I was always told Chan was CCA-only because Hi Streamer and BC kept Beltorchika around for the role Chan played as Amuro's partner.

That was my understanding of it as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

WrightOfWay posted:

There should be a Haro bracket in February to determine which one makes it in.

Cute