Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
uhg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Like seriously come on, the NDP doesn't exist independent of the rest of the province and seeing politics as some kind of game where the damage Ford will do is unimportant because Team Orange did better than last time is boneheaded

Yeah, I agree. People like to paint things positively, like goodwill or party growth is something you can stockpile for four years. The reality is that people's opinions change much faster than that, and quite literally on a whim. If you enter the election hoping to make long term party growth without trying to give it your all you're really letting down could-be voters for you that year. I understand the NDP presenters/speakers/moderators whatever were trying to give that poster a feel good moment, but party growth isn't a thing (think about how the liberals have been doing nation wide the past 8 years).

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly I feel like the ongoing conservative effort to chip away at people's faith in the system is a bigger driver of their numbers than any kind of populist surge. They don't win by convincing more people to vote for them, they win by convincing everyone else that politics is stupid and pointless, why even bother right?

That's pretty legitimate. There's lots of arguments talking about the performative aspects of reactionary Conservative dialogue/rhetoric, it honestly probably is harmful to people who don't end up voting for them.

E:

prom candy posted:

white identity politics has been popping off for conservatives lately as well. the "free speech on campus" thing seems to have reached a lot of people. i feel like harper's "i hate muslims" play probably would have worked if he ran it in 2017 or 2018.

True, this also sounds convincing to me.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

dev286 posted:

I just got home from working on one of the election broadcasts and I'm not nearly as upset about Ford winning as I thought I would be. I think our province is facing some serious economic headwinds and I can't wait to see Doug try to wrap his shallow slogans around real, actual problems.
Though I will predict he's will remain very Trumpish with his approach to media and keep doing his own YouTube poo poo / Ontario Proud direct messaging which will insulate him from actual criticism and scrutiny.

Exactly, he isn't going to face any personal hardship being premier. And no matter what happens his legacy is his boisterous family ego-cult. He and his brother have pulled a fast one on Ontario/Toronto and we're probably going to be worse off for it.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What if you tell him, to his face, that he's lying? "No, you're lying, here's the data. No, you're lying. Lying again. No."

There's some people talking about reactionary populist rhetoric, and why it's so efficient and effective. Part of it is that the populist while denying the facts and reality looks to be winning. The most important part (to them) of a dialogue is to win over other people, not the person they're arguing against. While they deny facts in an increasingly awkward atmosphere the news media necessarily edits it down into sound bites that sound relatively normal. While the lefty person might say, 'oh he dodge that question, he doesn't have an answer', a righty might see Doug Ford just staying the course on party lines.

Being logical and correct in a debate isn't as effective for drawing votes in as looking like you're winning a debate in news.

Doug Ford and the Trump administration have taken that to heart.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not talking about how the public would take it, I'm asking whether that ever gets a rise out of him.

I'm sorry, I meant to imply that he would do the same thing and just ignore the reporter really.

Or he could be like Rob and respond honestly half the time and no repercussions. (I wouldn't consider sexually assault her, I get enough from my wife. etc)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Still not under any delusions that lifelong sentences have any deterrent effect whatsoever. Makes the :bahgawd:TUFF ON CRIME:bahgawd: set happy I guess.

You ever watch the Netflix documentary 'The Staircase'? People basically go up on trial, and up until the verdict is announced they'll have no clue how the trial went or whether they'll really have to do the time that they're up against (In this case life in prison). Deterrence is a joke, and no one calculates the cost benefit analysis of an action before committing a crime.

Not saying the mosque shooter doesn't deserve to be punished, this is just a comment on long prison sentences and their over abundance in NA.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 25, 2018

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Dude that stabbed the poo poo out of my aunt and uncle was out on parole after serving time for stabbing the poo poo out of someone else and after going to prison for almost killing my uncle and aunt did the exact same thing to an elderly couple in BC.

Each time he was paroled it was against the recommendation of whoever was in charge of their psychiatric evaluation.

I'm all for rehabilitation but that guy should have never been given his freedom again.

Some people just become so broken the best thing to do is seperate them from the rest of us, for everyone's safety. It sucks but it's the way things go sometime.

Yeah, habitual reoffenders are pretty unlikely and your experience with one dude isn't really a good reason to build an opinion on having a system that lets people be put in jail forever.

Other people who have a tendency to commit more crime tend to be systematically over policed or impoverished, having long jail terms does nothing to prevent the likelyhood of these people committing crimes and steals years of their lives costing tax payers tens of thousands per head per year.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

PT6A posted:

Humans need exceptionally few things, and once those things are guaranteed, there is no reason why luxuries should not exist even if they are not strictly needed.

I think it's fine to reduce the luxuries we have for the: 'Elimination of poverty and homelessness in Canada'.

Just remember that the luxuries we own are bought with the stolen labour of those people overseas working destitute wages, and one day if world economics changes under Capitalism it could be us paying for the luxuries of other people.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

PT6A posted:

Yes, but that not a necessary condition for the production of luxuries, it's just something that's happening under the current system.

I'm defining "luxuries" as anything that isn't strictly necessary. There is no reason these could not be produced in a non-exploitative context. Indeed, workers' cooperatives already exist which are producing "luxuries" and the universe hasn't collapsed on itself as a result.

You're greedy and would rather see people die on the streets than give up a choice of 50 brands of gin.

Though the reality is that Canada has enough natural wealth that it's not likely that the amount 'luxuries' we do give up would be that dire. A small redistribution of wealth could eliminate poverty and homelessness.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Okay so the 'thought experiment' that this tangent comes from goes:

Give up luxuries > Eliminate poverty and homelessness in Canada

You said having only one choice of gin 'victory gin' was unacceptable. I'm assuming this applies to all products like having a choice of watches or computer parts.

The reality of poverty and homelessness is people dying on the street during winter, and summer due to exposure, poor health, starvation, or drug abuse. Poor health and poor prospects for people who are in poverty that leads to tangibly shorter lifespan overall and poor happiness.

Therefore I observed that you're unwilling to give up your choices of brands, even if it meant people die on the streets. That sentiment seems callous so I called you greedy.

You're the one jumping through hoops to say, 'No, giving up anything for the mass benefit of 5 million Canadians living below the poverty line is unacceptable'.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

What choice did she have but to shoot wildly into the public.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm Doug Ford and I've suspended the Charter of Rights until we can do a line by line audit to make sure it protects Ontarians and puts more tax money back into the people's pockets.

Every time something like this is posted I laugh.

To make sure people aren't taking advantage of the health care system we've repealed it in order to make sure the taxpaying people get their moneys worth.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

NZAmoeba posted:

Ok so this has been bugging me for a while, why the gently caress can't you guys give your bills and acts memorable names?

Sorry our acts don't sound like bad Marvel plots.

ie. U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act if you're american, imagine some other stupid act name if you're not.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Exactly. Reminder that last time the PCs formed government in Ontario, one of their first acts was literally called the "Fewer Politicians Act" and it significantly reduced the size of the provincial legislature, from 130 to 103. Making government less representative is a longstanding goal of the Ontario Conservatives.

Hey hey hey,

Let's also not forget Tory's closed door meeting with Doug Ford not a 5 days ago in which he sought 'strong mayor powers'. While this isn't the same thing, I think that the value of Tory's vote on council jumps and further reform is possible.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

infernal machines posted:

For the Toronto peeps in this thread, there's a rally at 6pm tonight, at Nathan Phillips Square, protesting the ward cuts.

Show up and make some noise, or don't, whatever.

Seconding this, its a good idea to turn up if you're into that kinda thing.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

gently caress yeah lets become an utter wasteland of fire and desert.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

It isn't even a good hair cut.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Syfe posted:

I too found this "distinction" particularly choice. "We can have abortions, but you cannot."

Or how about the completely awesome toadieness to the Trump Admin. of having Canada move it's embassy to Jerusalem.

That's politics baby.

We don't have a universal government so laws and funding aren't universal. Just because the Con's can't make it so here doesn't mean they can't support their allies elsewhere.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Powershift posted:

Beer

A buck a beer.

A beer bottle is a lot to carry around though. Maybe just the bottle... Cap?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Yeah, the problem is the beer itself is the store of value.

I've got a garage full of Cool just waiting for the apocalypse

I was making a fallout reference. Sounds like you're sitting on fools gold anyways.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Yeah, I got it, but I don't think Cool and loving Barley Days have the cultural cachet of Nuka-Cola or Sunset Sarsaparilla

Now a dollar a beer is a dollar of beer, no?

You're right that's fair, I was being too harsh when a dollars a dollar.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Yeah man, it was basically all I drank for the first 6 months. Maximum here is 400k. US export maximum is 400k. Our actual average is 205ish. US actual average is 204ish. The milk men are boogeymaning comparing our actual average (which is the same as their actual average) to their maximum allowed (which is actually the same as our max).

It says that the US maximum is 700000, and that the typical US import is 400000. Not that the US maximum or average is 200000.

Oh the second quote is for US, okay I understand now.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 29, 2018

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Evis posted:

I don’t see how that relates to what I said

the point is without context you could mean anything, even hilarious things like what Pintrest said.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Yes the problem with reserves and by extension First Nations people is definitely that there's not enough capitalist middle managers and land lords exploiting them.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Helsing posted:

I thought anarchists were supposed to pretend that the outcome of abolishing government wouldn't be a massive increase in private tyranny. When you start cheering for privatized healthcare the mask kinda slips.

I don't know why you think the public/private binary would exist outside of the capitalist systems, private property and organizations (like corporations) that hold them exists because there are laws in place that regulate how they are run. They aren't intrinsic to human condition and wouldn't immediately fill the vacuum of 'no government' from an anarchist perspective.

If you're a libertarian you tend to believe in replacing government with the 'free market' and basically corporations, that's where 'private tyranny' is an issue.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I see you too have discovered the joys of earnestly engaging xtal.

Oh you two are two different people?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I think most banks offer to mail cards to your address because it's convenient!

I love being shipped parcels via can post cause of all their depots, and they're much more likely to actually enter my apartment building and use the elevator or climb the stairs. (fed ex just reported customer not home yesterday, even though I took the whole day off and was waiting at home with everything at low volume)

Anyways go Can Post! More power to them if they're posed to strike.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Why are they giving her a platform? Why is the writing so passive? 'She disputes RCMP data' yeah well... How does she dispute it? Is it an effective argument? She doesnt think that gun bans in the UK or Australia have been successful? Okay what evidence does she have though? Its just a bunch of her opinions in a 'cbc article'. She's a Lobbyist too, it's like saying oil lobbyist says environmental externalities don't matter.

In short I remembered why I don't even briefly watch or read mainstream news atm.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

zapplez posted:

She's not wrong. I cant find the fun chart but there was one published recently where it was something like of the 2000 firearm murders in the past 10 years, 7 of them were with legal,registered firearms.

Wow, that's 7 people that didn't have to die!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

zapplez posted:

I kinda even sorta understand the jokes like that about the actual leaders you think are marginalizing you, but saying you should firebomb the office of some lovely low level civil servants is pretty loving stupid.

:decorum:

I think you're making a big deal out of a throw away post and it really shows your priorities. Do you really think he's going to firebomb the dmv? Other poster, do you really think an off the cuff post about firebombing the dmv cause it's frustrating is a sign of the decline of western civilization or an expression of frustration? Why is this your take?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Evis posted:

The state has a monopoly on the lawful use of violence. It can and should be used at times and there’s no way around that, and sometimes that’s going to include killing or violently disarming people who are clearly an active threat to others or to the government.

Post-arrest you might be right overall, but the justice system also needs to consider the thoughts and desires of the victims and their friends and families. If the system ignores these too blatantly it will lead to vigilante actions and people taking the law into their own hands, because the justice system can’t be trusted to punish offenders. (Whether it should or not is irrelevant to this argument)

See but that's wrong, because punishment is expensive and debilitating. The state considers the desires of victims and their friends and families in general much too highly, and we walk down a path with longer and more certain jail terms because it's politically expedient to push for 'tough on crime' laws.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Evis posted:

The first part of my post was relating to pre-arrest portions of the justice system. You can’t just get rid of the army/police’s ability to use violence. Try it (in some country I don’t live in) and see what happens. You can moderate it in some ways, but you can’t eliminate it.

It’s also expensive to turn victims into vigilantes who start wanting payback because the state won’t punish offenders for them. That’s not to say you have to severely punish people or be “tough on crime” in the traditional sense, but if you abdicate all responsibility for punishing people and release them relatively quickly I don’t think that will be an overall success story.

The post you responded to was talking about the death penalty and prison terms, presumably alongside policing. I just assumed you weren't nitpicking a portion of the post to respond to.

Anyways the main sickness in conservative ideology is believing that humans are inherently vengeful rather than social and cooperative creatures. Just don't believe that and you'll find it's more easy to stomach other posters saying cops shouldn't beat up or kill people.

It's also on the record that it costs a shitton of money to house people in prison and feed them 3 meals a day, rather than that off the cusp fantasy you concocted to make me seem naive. I'd like to think that if police didn't beat up people, and the prison system was less punitive we wouldn't dissolve in to literal lynch mobs.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

The vast majority of self-styled victims' rights rhetoric seems to understand victims as people who are mostly just jealous of criminals, and would jump at the first opportunity to act the same. Understood in any way that foregrounds victims' well-being and rehabilitation, Canada's support for victims of crime is piss.

I think that most of your post is splitting hairs like an academic with someone who would agree with you, if you just took the time to see that: 'oh yes, this person is advocating for a system of rehabilitation, which inflicts less political violence then the current system. Sounds good.' Instead now you're concerned with being right or understood for how smart you are.

Anyways for a large proportion of crime crimes are victimless where the victim is society because you littered or jay walked or gambled or whatever. For another large percent crime is committed against businesses (and maybe demographics like the consumer) with insurance like property damage, fraud, arson, but basically some entity that can't feel personally hurt by crime. Then there's a like percentage of crime with victims that are people. Then there's burglary or robbery (with violence), or other violent crime that have a low single digit percentage in Canada.

'Victims rights advocates' typically focus on trying to legislate around the 1 or so percent of victims of violent crime, and apply that legislation broadly onto many other types of crime. That is how I've heard the term used and studied it in university in school at the very least. That's no way to legislate for social harms, because it leads to us becoming more punitive over statistical anomalies just because now we're prepping for worst case scenarios.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 27, 2018

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Helsing posted:

You bougie fucks

:yeah:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

gently caress the wars

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Yay banning conversion therapy.

The adverse effects of hormone therapy for transitioning people seem to be small compared to the psychological and social benefits of 'appearing' or passing as the gender they are. Trans people suffer some of the largest suicide and victim of homicide rates compared to all other demographics, anything to help make trans people feel welcome, safer, and pass the way they want to = statistical lives saved over time.

Anyways you're going to have issues every time doctors try and use their 'expertise' of the human body to treat social issues like gender. They can help to a certain extent with the medical side of things, but there should be more limits to their abilities to restrict access to their services. Drake meme: Psychology (nah) Sociology/Letting people do what they want, especially if it isn't really that harmful to them and has massive benefits. (yah)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Well, anecdotally again, this person I know is very happy they weren't taken to a doctor who would have listened to his patients and provided them with the treatments they requested saving them the associated trauma of the wrong puberty and vastly improving their quality of life.

Because in the end the very thing that saved them the associated trauma of the wrong puberty and vastly improving their quality of life was not being listened to when they were a child.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but the whole wrong puberty trauma thing is like a terrible specter that hangs over people's heads when they talk about this stuff. It really isn't a huge deal, as Cat Wings pointed out. The 'wrong puberty' ideas float around because it's so visceral sounding, and scary. The reality isn't like that. I only mention it like this because you're the 3rd or 4th person I've seen bring type of anxiety up, especially when almost everything about your body is malleable except when your voice deepens.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Arivia posted:

No.

It is loving horrible.

I am trapped in a body that I never wanted, that I fight with every day and that I am still undergoing medical treatments to correct. You may not understand that dysphoria, but trust me it is real and traumatic.

And Zucker could have stopped it. He could have given me the therapy I needed to prevent my body becoming a misshapen prison. He didn�t. He saw the changes occurring, he even commented on and complimented them. He intentionally ruined me believing it was the best outcome despite my pleas otherwise every time I saw him.

Do not belittle my pain.

I was referring to the 'wrong puberty' of people who deny trans people what they want because they're 'concerned for them' and waiting to see, but I can understand that I wasn't specific enough. I didn't mean to belittle your pain and I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Seems like it should be a social solution then, not a medical one.

Socially cisnormative and heteronormative behavior only exists to exclude and harm people for utterly unproblematic things. If you accept that people are worthwhile and should enjoy happy and good lives in society, I believe you should also consider that people generally know what makes them happy (such as being treated as the gender they are). This is especially true for trans people because being treated as who they are harms literally no one else, and is a privilege that cis people are afforded at a fundamental level.

So yeah, people socially shouldn't bully trans or questioning people into suicide. People in general should accept that things in society that they think are normal are arbitrary and constructed (like gender). People should trust other people's process of questioning, and respect other people's decisions or realizations about their gender. People should accept that gender and performance is much more fluid then they think it is. People should discard biological explanations for social behavior.

Medical solutions should exist and be available freely to people everywhere in Canada when the problem is dysphoria, or just trying to pass, or like a cold or something. But there shouldn't be 'medical solutions' that are actually ways funnel people out of access to resources that help them.

Yeah, I just really didn't want your take away from my post to be 'we have to socially deal with trans people' in a really ominous and open ended way.