Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The only thing I've seen that makes Le Creuset marginally better is apparently they are less prone to hot spots. But if it's a Dutch oven who cares, it will be in your oven most of the time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

For the single/live alone/cook for one people - how often do you use a proper Dutch oven? I currently have a decent anodized aluminum one that's great for going in the oven for a braise, but functionally useless for any kind of one pot meal where I want to sear/deglaze/stew/braise all in one pan. I'm trying to justify the expense for a proper one and having trouble with it (I'd probably go for the Made In as a compromise between Lodge and Staub.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I want to make a fuckload of tomato-based pasta sauce tomorrow, but for complicated reasons not worth getting into all I have here is a stainless (or aluminum?) stockpot. Is it going to burn and stick to the bottom? It will, won't it

For future reference, as someone who has scorched a large batch of red sauce, one thing you can do is cook it in the oven rather than the stovetop once you get it to a simmer. I've found that, as much as anything, what makes scorching more likely is a temperature differential and a single source of heat. Kenji seems to agree.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Murgos posted:

You can put it in the dishwasher.

Edit: if this doesn’t sell you the your a glutton for punishment. Sure, I’m in the maintaining cast iron isn’t all that hard crew but a 7qt Dutch oven is a big, heavy awkward brute to be scrubbing.

I thought all of the major manufacturers explicitly say to not put it in the oven?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean “in the dishwasher” here?

Yes, I did. That's what I get for posting while on the phone.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Paul MaudDib posted:

they probably also let a little more oil/fat drain away, but yeah, basically they just give you sear lines in exchange for being difficult to clean

Just throw it in the dishwasher. Maybe don't actually throw it, those things are heavy, but you know what I mean.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

blight rhino posted:

I have a 3.5qt lodge enameled dutch oven. Is there any reason to upgrade to a le creuset larger one, vs just a larger lodge one?

Like 80 bucks versus like 400? (estimates), but can Le Creuset be that much more special? Does the extra money make it better?

I know kitchen stuff is definitely you get what you pay for, but when it comes to straight up iron cooking devices, is it worth it?

Keep an eye out for sales. Made In just put their Dutch oven out, it runs $200 but they do 20% off sales a couple times each year. Le Creuset goes on sale a bit less frequently than Staub, which is the other classic high end French brand.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

The only review you need to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rkw0adIAFc

TLDR: it scratches and falls off like any other Teflon

This. For my Teflon/non stick pans are something you buy at the restaurant supply store, never use metal on (or even an aggressive sponge/scrubber like a green Scotchbrite), and still expect them to be effectively disposable after 1-3 years depending on how often you use them. Mine mostly get used for things like eggs that will stick to drat near anything else (and at ~4 years old are getting long in the tooth anyway). I haven't tried the ceramic ones like Boitano mentioned.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

No Wave posted:

How did "hot spots" become THE marketing angle for pots and pans? I've never had a real problem with uneven pan heat. I just want stuff that's easy to clean.

Because it's something that most people can't reasonably check at home, but it gives them an excuse to blame their existing cookware and replace it with something shiny and new.

"Let's look at this cast iron pan under an IR camera. See those hot spots? That's why your food cooks unevenly and half of it gets on the plate burnt, the other half undercooked. Let's now look at this 19 ply stainless/aluminum/copper/cobalt pan. See? No hot spots! Even cooking! Your family will love you! On sale for only $999!"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I haven't tried the Misen stuff but I can say that the carbon steel pan I have from Made In is solid. Wait for the 20% off sale though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Democratic Pirate posted:

Welcome to the club!

I was close to ruining a pan with thermal shock when my brain fought through sleep deprivation (we were 3 weeks into parenthood) to think “hey, isn’t pouring cold water in a pan that’s spent 10 minutes sitting on a screaming hot burner a bad idea?”

Saved the pan, but it turns out granite countertops don’t like heat all that much. There are some fun cracks next to the sink that remind me of my shame.

I always get nervous when people put heavy, hot items directly on a granite countertop. Use a trivet! If it's a quarter sheet pan with a chicken thigh and some veg you're fine - but I seriously cringed when I saw a Youtube video of someone doing it with a Dutch oven straight out of the oven.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

road potato posted:

I'm moving back to the US in July, so I need to buy all new everything for the kitchen, and feel like now is the time to buy a very high quality set of pots and pans. Is All-Clad still the go-to? Am I really going to experience much of a difference between the d3 and d5 in my cooking or in the durability? Lastly: I'm not moving until July- is it worth trying to keep an eye out for sales on these items, or do they stay pretty steadily at the normal price?

Unfortunately you just missed an All-Clad sale. They seem to run a few times per year, so maybe you'll get lucky?

Alternatively, Tramontina is another brand that's considerably less expensive than All-Clad, possibly even less expensive than the All-Clad sale prices at times. It's at least worth looking at - I'm not sure how budget conscious you are, but it routinely gets recommended as the more wallet friendly tri ply set.

Edit: An alternative if you want to roll the dice would be Made In. I've only used their carbon steel pan (which I'm quite happy with), none of their stainless stuff, but they have free returns for 45 days. Worst case you buy it, hate it, and send it back - just costs you the time to go to UPS/FedEx.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 5, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Who needs a scoop? You make a pint of ice cream, you eat a pint of ice cream. SMH.

This. The only "scoop" you should need is a spoon from your silverware drawer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

redreader posted:

I started using brushes instead of sponges to clean dishes, after reading someone say 'just use brushes' when I googled 'how to stop sponges getting stinky so fast' (I used to microwave them in water to extend their life). Am I wearing away my non-stick coatings by washing with brushes? e.g. my rice cooker pot.

Depends on the brush more than anything else. A grill brush will destroy nonstick coatings. A dishwashing brush that doesn't have ultrastiff bristles should be fine.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Brother Tadger posted:

Basically any 100% aluminum product can’t go in the dishwasher due to risk of electroplating. This also applies to things like ice cream scoops, cheese graters, etc.

Huh, I never knew why you couldn't just run that stuff through the dishwasher. Nonissue for me based on habit, but good to know. Thanks!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

VelociBacon posted:

Can anyone think of a food or preparation more disrespectful than turducken?

e: besides every fusion thing

Yes, the cthurkey.

Behold, the octopus stuffed turkey with crab legs.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

BrianBoitano posted:

Oh hey I was just telling my family how nice these are - now Alex Aïnouz made a video about them

https://youtu.be/yGGfwYQFD54

Are they significantly better than chopsticks? I don't even have cooking chopsticks, just some regular fiberglass ones I got off Amazon that I'll use at times.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd say yeah in two ways - one they're dishwasher safe, and two my 2yo son can use them to help stir with his level of dexterity. I have both and still use the chopsticks some times for larger things 1" or bigger on a side

...are fiberglass chopsticks not dishwasher safe? I don't know which specific ones I bought, but basically all of them say safe up to ~350F, which is well over the temp of any dishwasher.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

fr0id posted:

Hello! I have a question about what kind of kitchen utensil I would want that I’ve been having trouble googling. Basically, there have been a number of recipes I’ve tried that involve sautéing a minced or very finely chopped aromatic or piece of bacon or what have you, then removing it from the cooking vessel. Sometimes this is with a sauté pan, sometimes a Dutch oven, sometimes a wok, etc etc. Is there a particular utensil that excels at this? I would think a spider skimmer might be okay, but might not be fine enough to catch something that is minced up, especially with cooking vessels that have flat bottoms and straight walls, like a Dutch oven.

I’m sorry if this is a dumb question and the answer is just “get a big heat resistant spoon ya dummy” or even “just have some patience to do this task” but I wanted to ask what people like to use in this case. My biggest concern is missing small pieces that then proceed to burn and add the burnt flavor to the dish.

If you want to be very, very sure that everything is out, use a mesh strainer over a bowl and any utensil to clear everything out from your cooking vessel. The strainer will retain all of the solids, and the liquids will fall into the bowl and can be added back to the wok/Dutch oven/etc. Otherwise, Anne Whately's suggestion is probably good enough with what you likely already have.

Anne Whateley posted:

A regular slotted spoon (so yeah, a big heat-resistant spoon) is probably your friend here. You can fish out any especially disobedient bits with the silicone-tipped Oxo tongs you probably already have out for the next step.

I love my big Joseph Joseph scoop, which is perfect for many things, but probably not ideal for this since the tip isn't rounded enough to scrape around the edges of round vessels.

This thing is very cool. I have no use for it currently but I like it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Tongs must always be tested for tonginess.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

In his defense he told that story as example of why you should label everything

This. Even in a kitchen, you don't just sample an unlabeled, unidentifiable product. That's a recipe for disaster.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

hypnophant posted:

my strong feeling is to get a ricer or food mill instead of a masher if you're going to be using it often enough to care (although that link has masher recommendations too)

If you have room for the ricer or mill, that's your best bet for mashed potatoes. If you're limited on space and want to use it for other things, a potato masher is still great - I used to use mine (lost in a move) when making bulk batches of tomato sauce. I could get whole canned tomatoes and then mash them to the consistency I wanted, rather than getting diced or crushed tomatoes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Reminder that tomorrow and Wednesday are Prime day on Amazon - I don't think there are any amazing deals expected for kitchen stuff, but it may be worth holding off for another 24 hours.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Tricky Ed posted:

Really really really considering the Amazon Basics enameled cast iron dutch oven. I've been watching for deals on a Le Cruset, but $43 is almost in the "don't even think about it" price range. Any huge red flags for them?

Edit:

If you're reading this, how long did it take for these pockmarks to develop?

If you don't already own a Dutch oven, getting that one or the equivalent Lodge for your first one is the best bet. 5 or 5.5QT is probably the size you want. The main difference between Amazon/Lodge and Le Creuset/Staub (the other high end brand) is the quality of the enamel - LC/Staub have much better quality control and are literal heirloom pieces of cookware. Lodge/Amazon can run for years without issues, but there are also reports of them cracking/chipping within a few years.

If you find yourself using it a ton and the enamel holds up fine, congrats, you just saved yourself $$$.
If you find yourself using it a ton and the enamel chips/cracks after a couple years, consider upgrading.

The difference in quality among the brands when it comes to the end result of your cooking should be negligible - it's all about product longevity. It comes down to a question of how much you're using it, and whether the upgrade is worth the cost to you.

Note: One thing to confirm is the temperature threshold for Amazon/Lodge. They should both be 500F in your oven, but I know some other inexpensive brands have a lower threshold for various reasons (often lid handle material).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Fart Car '97 posted:

LC has a lower threshold due to the handle, but it's $20 for a stainless steel replacement last I checked

I just checked the website and it says 500F?

https://www.lecreuset.com/round-dutch-oven/LS2501.html

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

GordonComstock posted:

Anybody have a good wooden salt box they'd recommend? Looking to transition from shakers and the like to just using my hands to control the salt better.

Amazon and Sur la Table both have a ton of options. I wound up going with a ceramic salt pig that's identical to this one but for ~$12? I think. My reasoning was that I didn't want a lid on it, that's one thing to manipulate and get dirty, plus if I ever did get it dirty I'd rather just run it through a dishwasher and not worry about it. Mine is white rather than blue, however.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Back Alley Borks posted:

Any recommendations on a stainless steel mixing bowl set? I haven't seen anything decent in a retail store nearby me. My old roommate had a dope 6-piece stacking set that he supposedly found at Ross but they didn't have those when I went there.

I would go with the OXO 3-piece, but theirs has plastic on the outer wall which means I can't use the small bowl in a double boiler.

Mixing bowls are something I just played mix and match with, personally. The silicone base is nice to have, and you can always buy an individual all-stainless bowl for double boiler usage if necessary - right now mine are stainless but if I were to replace them, that's probably what I'd do.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

BrianBoitano posted:

Do not use a pressure washer indoors and apply pressure to a plastic component that was not designed for that.

Post the model number. Sight unseen I'd check the seals and run vinegar through it - a half gallon of vinegar in the basin should do it. Almost all dishwashers recirculate the water, so that vinegar should get dispersed through the sprayer arms.

You're no fun.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm looking at chest freezers in the 7 cu.ft. range. I had a 5 cu.ft. Whirlpool for a long time that was great until the gasket developed a leak and the replacement part had been discontinued. Now I guess they don't make anything less than 9 cu.ft. and the jump in price is substantial. Looks like Frigidaire at $300ish and GE at $400ish are my local options, plus a couple brands I know less about (Hisense and Hotpoint). Is the GE really worth $100 more than the Frigidaire?

They're both supposedly "garage ready" (lol I'm not prepared to bet that my garage will never cross 110F)

I'm trying to find the link but I used to have a comparison chart for home appliances across brands. Going from memory, Hotpoint sucked for basically everything but stoves/ranges/ovens. Between GE and Frigidaire I'd probably pick the GE, but that's strictly because a couple friends have had issues with Frigidaire appliances - purely anecdotal.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Not a Children posted:

Wonder if this would work in an air fryer. I don’t want to deep fry anything, just not a fan of dealing with big amounts of hot oil

An air fryer should work, you could also flatten them and pan fry them - that will use substantially less oil.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

https://www.acemart.com is another restaurant supply place with a decent online presence that offers free shipping. I haven't price shopped them against webstaurant but it's worth knowing about if you don't want to spring for the membership at the latter.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm

8 quart gray oval Le Creusets are showing up at Costco for $230

With metal knobs

Costco also has a 7qt. Staub round braiser for $200 right now.

https://www.costco.com/staub-7-quart-cast-iron-braise-and-grill.product.100715454.html

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

Holy poo poo I got a round 5 quart staub on clearance for $200 ten years ago

I still won’t buy the Costco one because my kitchen is coordinated to not have prismatic colors

Yeah, I've got a 5.5qt Made In that I'm very happy with, and I certainly don't need an even larger one. It's still tempting though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Once my current 2 nonstick pans die, I plan on getting a second carbon steel and sticking with those. Once they're well seasoned, they're about 98% as good as nonstick and there's no concern about scratching them. It's mostly a matter of temp control and using enough oil/butter/whatever.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

People who live in apartments/condos/whatever and don't have a yard for any kind of traditional compost pile. Yes, it's expensive, yes, there are other ways to compost indoors (bokashi, but this is a simple way to do it.

As for why they made the device at all, cutting back on food waste is trendy right now - why not capitalize on that?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Comedy option: Will a cheese sauce work? Get a jar of sodium citrate and make 40 lbs of cheese sauce instead. How many large stock pots do you have access to?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

That Old Ganon posted:

I'm trolling through Goodwill's auction site and I have the option between a Jamba Juice blender to bid on, or a Breville BBL620SIL. I know Jamba Juice blenders are from Blendtec, but that's about it. This Jamba Juice blender's page doesn't go into enough detail about it.

Which should I get? Either will be somewhat of a gamble considering the source, but I'm not sure which I should double-down on.

Are there photos of the Jamba Juice blender? A lot of the smoothie shops in my area have a model with a plastic cover that goes over the entire blender jar, which seems like it would be annoying. The only other thing I can think of is that parts may be more available for the Blendtec/Jamba Juice one, since it will likely be a commercial model and most places will want to repair them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

That Old Ganon posted:

There are some photos for it, sure.
https://shopgoodwill.com/item/150815496

I recently noticed that the Jamba one is 4 cups and the Breville is 8. But is 4 cups really that little?

I would get the Breville. 4 cups means pureeing any kind of soup would have to be done in multiple batches, which would get annoying fast if you're making it for more than 1 person.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been trying to figure this out on my own, but I'm coming up blank. Does anyone know if there's a large griddle that would work on an induction cooktop? I'm basically looking to get a plancha-type setup and it would be ideal if I could just use my stovetop. Thanks goons.

Maybe this guy?

There may be cheaper options, I just searched for "induction griddle plate"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't mind the cost. That one is interesting. It says several times in the description that it's not induction compatible, but the sole entry in the Q&A says it is. Might be worth a try. I was looking for something but bigger, but that's certainly not super small.

Thank you! Might be worth trying out.

Plenty of other options and I'm guessing at least one will be induction compatible. I think your biggest issue with any plancha on an induction cooktop is going to be that you'll have hot and cold spots - unless the entire cooktop is induction, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

Can anyone recommend strainers online that are 1) all metal 2) relatively tight screened

All the ones I see at discount stores have screens like chain link fences

Skimmers here.

Strainers here.

Not sure what you're doing with it, but something on one of those two pages should be fine - especially if you pick a fine mesh option.