Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I watched ROTS yesterday and still hated it the most out of the PT. I just don't buy the fall and everything else was overdone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

drunkill posted:

Was just about to post this in the general star wars thread, but Harmy (Despecialized creator) talked with ABC Australia for an article:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-14/restoring-star-wars/6994818

Harmy is doing gods work

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ImpAtom posted:

I legitimately think that Anakin should have been the same age as Luke. I think a lot of things would flow more easily and frankly make more sense.

Edit: Also it wouldn't have ruined some poor bastard's life.

"The student has now become the master. "

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

CelticPredator posted:

The Empire Strikes Back is so dang pretty.

(Luke with one foot on the light, and one foot in the dark. I like it)

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The only good review would have been "I didn't see JJ taking it there". This movie will be just ok when the dust settles. Lower your expectations.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

No he wasn't. gently caress Kevin Smith

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I called it. Kyle Ren is Zuko.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I didn't actively hate this movie like ST09 but I didn't fall in love either. It was just ok. Marvel movie ok.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The whole movie was a series of "I'll try spinning, that's a good trick."

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
All plot holes can be explained by episode I Anikan.

"I'll try spinning, that's a good trick"

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
IMAX mall of GA was incredible but it is digital not 70mm.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, I think Inception was digital but Interstellar was 70mm.

I'm a bit surprised Hateful Eight 70mm is playing at Atlantic Station since, last I knew, they only have a digital IMAX screen.

edit: Oh, it's 2.76 70mm, not 15/70. gently caress that noise.

I bought advanced tickets for Interstellar IMAX 70mm opening night to find out that the projector broke so they switched it to digital. It was false advertisement and if the movie wasn't as awesome as it was I would have requested a refund.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Any SMG analysis yet?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I haven't seen the film as of yet, but I get the impression people are being unfair to it with this "it was great, but absolutely nothing interesting happened" consensus.

Well get on with it man. We need to know whether we like this movie or not.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

TG-Chrono posted:

Here's some political background info from the visual guide if you need it to help understand what the opening crawl referred to.

Peace Interrupted

After Years of Rebellion, the death of Emperor Palpatine gave the oppressed peoples of the galaxy undeniable evidence that the Empire could be defeated. A longing for freedom and peace drove a great tide of revolution from sector to sector, to the point where a truce - unthinkable at the height of the Galactic Civil War - was signed between the New Republic and the weakenend Empire. As one of its first acts, the restored Senate promptly passed the Military Disarmament Act. Many were convinced that the age of galaxy-wide conflict was over.

The New Republic

Following its great victory against the empire at the Battle of Endor, the Alliance to Restore the Republic rebranded itself as the New Republic, and shortly afterward a peace treaty - the Galactic Concordance - was signed with the remnants of the Empire. Believing that the Empire was no longer a threat, the New Republic turned its attention to reshaping galactic politics.

The First Order

The Galactic Concordance defanged the Empire's ability to wage war, with strict disarmament treaties and punishing reparations. The Old Empire withered away, becoming a remnant of political hardliners locked in a cold war with the New Republic, before eventually breaking away to reform in the Unknown Regions as the myseterious First Order.

The Resistance

The Resistance is a small private force created by Princess Leia Organa to keep watch on the movements of the First Order. Though she petitions the New Republic government for support, she finds the politics of the Senate too slow and too mired in self-interest to be of any help. The New Republic tolerates the Resistance, though it is wary of risking war with the First Order.

All makes sense and should have been shown in the movie

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Zero VGS posted:

I wound up sitting next to a 4 year old during TFA who asked questions every three seconds while his dad spent the entire movie impotently trying to shush him. Now I understand how Anakin could bring himself to kill younglings, so in a way my disdain for children has slightly improved the prequels for me.

My 4 year old was awesome and only spoke out "daddy" to remind me to whisper the Raid dudes subtitles.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Zero VGS posted:

Considering even Disney thought they needed to shrink the black guy on the Chinese version of the poster...

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/12/chinese-star-wars-poster-ignites-controversy.html

In fairness my boyfriend is a Chinese citizen and he has never seen Star Wars so we binge watched 4, 5, 2, 3, 6, 7 in that order.

He said he thought 7 was the best movie out of all of them by far, he especially liked the new cast (Finn, Rey, Kylo, BB8) and felt the acting was better. Interestingly, he felt like there was less action and more story than any of the other movies (I perceived it as more). He liked the more diverse cast but was also wondering where all the Asians were at during the movie.

Getting eaten by rolling tentacle monsters

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

NecroMonster posted:

Well Lucas himself disallowed any portrayal of Jedi as evil or even morally gray within all EU materials for, last I checked, the whole time he was in possession of the Star Wars IP. He was also vocally critical of EU stories that attempted to introduce moral subtly or nuance into Star Wars. Hell he even re-edited his own film to, famously, remove a bit of nuance from the portrayal of a character that I'm sure I don't need to even say the name of for people to get this reference.

Death of the author.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Steve2911 posted:

Those lines have nothing to do with that screenshot.

Well since Quigon's apprentice basically kills that kid and steals his lightsaber, irony at it's finest. Well done George, Well done.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Gorelab posted:

I don't think the Jedi were supposed to be the real bad guys so much as a flawed organization that was falling from their teaching due to inertia and a lack of foresight.

Who cares what they were supposed to be, it is what they are shown to be.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 8, 2016

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Is this the right thread to discuss The Rogue One trailer? Because I'm more hyped about that than episode 8

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Cnut the Great posted:

Agreed. I definitely still like and enjoy all the LOTR movies, they're just not near the top of my list in any category and I'd rather just read the books.

And I can't speak for most of The Hobbit trilogy. I saw the first one and didn't really like it so I didn't bother with the rest. I think I may be violating the infamous contrarian CineD hivemind on that one? Oh well, hopefully I'll be fine. As long as I don't bring up the fact that I don't really believe in Death of the Author and think this banner is kind of obnoxious.

Star Wars has The Force Awakens. The Lord of the Rings has Willow. Willow features Val Kilmer playing a cross-dressing Aragorn. Point goes to...

The Lord of the Rings. The Lord of the rings has the better rip-offs.

(Everyone should watch Willow by the way. It's just delightful.)

I can watch Willow every year where as you couldn't pay me to sit through LOTR again.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is the 3D worth it?

No

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
It was the best of non original trilogy Star Wars

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

bewbies posted:

I really loved that movie and I really dislike goon movie discussions

This is about where I'm at.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Philthy posted:

I didn't even realize Tarkin was CGI until Leia came on screen and it clicked that had to have done them both with CGI. They both looked entirely real to me.

But then again I was probably too busy having a Warsgasm from liking this movie so much.

It showed that the Force has its own will at times.

I saw it in IMAX 3D and both Takin and Leia looked amazing.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did you not notice her breaking down when she watched the hologram of her father explaining that he missed her, and what his plan for the Death Star was? She stays with Cassian in the hopes of seeing her father again because she was putting up a tough exterior and seeing him again cracked that exterior. Jyn finally gets to see him after 16 years or however long and he dies within minutes. She lashes out because the Rebels killed him but decides to take his message to the leaders anyway, because its what he wanted. They don't believe her so and she goes on the mission herself, with the people who do believe her. The Empire took her family, and has taken the families and lives of other people. She decides to fight against the Empire.

What's so hard to get about this?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Codependent Poster posted:

Do Star Destroyers ever do anything but get shot?

I'm trying to remember seeing them do anything in any movie that isn't just floating there.

Launch Tie's?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Hollismason posted:

It was pretty interesting that Everyone Dies. We get to see the Rebels actually do some guerilla style poo poo. Oh and Jyn is needed because they need to get the pilot from Saw, which was made pretty clear that the Rebellion and Saw were on bad terms and they figured she was the best chance to get the information from Saw. Also, Jyn changes her mind after seeing the holo message from her father and the devastating power of the Death Star.

I dunno I thought the motivations for everyone was pretty clear and characters actually did have arcs during the film.

I am convinced people are just bad at watching movies. Everyones motives are well fleshed out and shown right there in the film.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ImpAtom posted:

Still have no idea what that is supposed to mean, thanks.

Gotcha!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The plans were not found on the ships database so the plans were never transmitted to the Tantive IV :smuggo:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Nielsen posted:

I won't argue with this, I think you're right about a lot of this stuff but here's the hilarious kicker, all this kind of important character drama is "efficiently cut" so we can get extra shots of spaceships blowing stuff up and more fanservice, I would've loved to see more efficiently cut space battles and more moments between the characters that actually underline these things. That's my major problem with the film, as much as I loved all the spacebattles, I wanted to see some more people doing peoplestuff, to make me care more.

I read this as "I'm not interested in star wars"

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Soggy Cereal posted:

Since the movie is somewhat sparse on characterization and relies on existing knowledge of Star Wars, I thought it might be interesting to look at the poetry and rhyme -

Luke Skywalker's story is about learning that your father is not who you thought he was, but that you can still save him and all your friends.

Jyn Erso's story is about learning that your father is exactly who you thought he was all along and you never should have doubted him, but he needs you and your friends to die for his cause.

Discuss.

Mind blown

gohmak fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 23, 2016

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I would put money that Felicity Jones will be in the Han Solo movie as crew.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Can we get a thread title change?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Bongo Bill posted:

Star Wars technology is unlike real-world technology.

A long time ago

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Jewmanji posted:

The film-makers were whispering to us nerds that Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down were touchstones during the making of his film. Even if its just marketing and genuflection to the nerd hivemind, there was a clear motivation behind this movie to reassure adults that Star Wars has a brand new look (when the truth is that most adult nerds have shades of suspended adolescence in them, and therefore think things that are dark/gritty signify adulthood).

I really hated the movie. I'm hoping I can come to appreciate it (or parts of it) as time goes on, but I experienced it as a charmless bore, like being force-fed expired cotton candy. The entire final battle felt like an adaptation of Star Wars: Battlefront. I emotionally flat-lined from the first minute to the last (for what it's worth I have equal love for Eps I-VI and admire VII for the effort).

Well you see, you just don't like Star Wars.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

theflyingexecutive posted:

It didn't actually show violence done to the body though, just obscured visually distanced inferred deaths in a explosion. Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan are violent, but show the moments and aftermath of injury, prolonged bodily suffering, and visually close onscreen deaths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsqqLeVc-b0

Cordé would like to disagree.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 5, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

What did I just watch and where can I find more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Freakazoid_ posted:

I like this thread better when it's talking about Star Trek.

Because Star Wars fans don't actually like Star Wars.

• Locked thread