Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

GhostDog posted:

I recently ended up on pretendracecars which one probably shouldn't, but in an article about Race07 they had a part I agree with that racing sims today are too obsessed with tire models to the exclusion of anything else. The games drive fine, you have to drive the cars properly, when are we getting to the actual race (weekend) part? The traffic of cars and people in the pits, the crowds, team chatter, rivalries and press interviews. Codemasters, for all their faults, tried to do something like that. The current crop of sims have good enough driving models, they should stop spending 100% of their time tinkering with them endlessly and pick that other thread up again. And of course AI, AI hasn't made a substantial improvement in a decade.
:agreed:

I kind of fell off the sim racing bandwagon because :effort: set in after getting a wheel to actually learn to be competent with it (and spend the ~5 minutes setting up/removing it from my desk each time), but that's part of it: got tired of PCars garbage AI and relatively lifeless, even if sizable, career and decided to wait for Reiza to upgrade SCE before delving deeper there. Something to make the offline experience more immersive beyond the driving could go a long way to making it feel like a better overall experience that keeps me coming back.

bUm fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

DarthJeebus posted:

I'm playing pCars right now on a 22" single monitor (with a controller for now), roughly 33 inches away from it and the project immersion FoV calculator says my hFov should be 34*. Tried it, and it looks like I'm driving with binoculars strapped to my face. It's not taking screenshots for some reason but basically the top of the steering wheel down in the bottom 1/3rd of my screen. Did I mess up the calculations wrong or is this indeed optimal? How can I improve ~my immersion~ short of investing in a triple monitor setup?

I mean it's not a huge deal to play with lower than ideal FoV but I do have a lot of trouble judging corners when it looks like everything is going by at warp speed.
If possible, shortening the face-to-monitor distance seems like the most reasonable fix: move your monitor closer to the edge of your desk, push your keyboard tray in so you can move your chair closer (don't need the keyboard/mouse for PCars w/ controller), or whatever else could do that.

Accurate FoV is meant to match the view your monitor displays what a window the size of your monitor would reveal if you were really sitting in the seat of the car; sitting that far back with such a small window means that accurate FoV is quite restrictive.

If you can't fix the distance, your options cost money or just dial it back until it gives enough vision with minimal extraneous stuff (also remember that, I think, PCars has seat adjustments so you should move that around a bit while testing out FoV changes).

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Shine posted:

Anybody who doesn't know what a Stadium Super Truck is, please watch this video and then buy Automobilista.
Cool video.

So, Automobilista is already a full upgrade on SCE despite sounding like it's still being pretty actively worked on, right? Just wanted to confirm before uninstalling SCE and migrating over to the new one.

Eyud posted:

Forza Apex is pretty cool. I didn't expect them to release something for PC before FH3/FM7. And it's free!
On the one hand I'm interested because I played a lot of Gran Turismo and am disappointed that PC sims basically totally neglect user friendliness and as balanced of a game (putting little effort into any features that aren't driving) so I'd potentially be interested in an actual Forza title coming to PC. On the other hand, :effort: given it sounds like a very watered down experience, even if free.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

Honestly they probably want people to buy the Xbox One rather than play a PC version of Forza. To push people in that direction the only way to use a wheel and pedals is to get Forza and the Xbone.

After Forza went to the Xbone I switched to PC primary - better support for peripherals, more options, and mods.
Yeah, PS3 was the last console I plan to own (was a gift, one barely used aside from Gran Turismo) so for me it's kind of just a: do you want me to play your game at all? I guess before I bothered getting a wheel, I'd have been pretty interested in an intentionally very controller-friendly PC racing sim (even in watered down form), but, now having a wheel, a game that doesn't even allow it seems not worth bothering.

Kind of an interesting goal if they're really trying to effectively unify their PC and console offerings to be available to either; kind of along the same avenue of Windows 10 trying to unite all platforms (desktop, notebook, mobile) so software works for all without additional finagling.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Finally fired up Auto(play)mobilista. Naturally decided to start out with the Super Truck and was welcomed (thanks to have AI do the pit lane because :effort:) with the AI rolling it all the way over driving out of my pit box. Fortunately, it flips it upright after a few seconds and I could continue truckin' (I didn't turn AI Pits off because it made me laugh every time... sometimes it drifts sideways though and flips upright facing into the wall, gets stuck, and I had to return to garage and try again). Definitely an interesting beast, took awhile to realize that lift-off oversteer seemed more viable for making turns than actually trying to properly brake for them.

Mucked about with the the new Formula V10 (really weird not having to upshift, but having to downshift) which was insane, tried the Rallycross (took a bit to realize it was FWD and that's why I couldn't turn at all... had to bind Handbrake; ended up stopping for fear of waking people up since it was FFBing up a storm), and checked out both types of Karts (Super Kart FFB seemed great, felt like I could feel the grittiness of the road surface). Pretty fun stuff given the little bit of SCE (just bought mainly to ensure I'd get the revamped version) I played I stuck with stock cars.

tater_salad posted:

What's the to recommendation for racing game for couch and Controller. I was using nfs shift but 1 I can't drift and 2 it ate my save after like 8hrs of game play so lost the will to play
Surprised no one mentioned Dirt Rally, if you could dig some rally racing.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

Super careful on throttle. That's the really hard part. I usually don't get to full throttle until I'm on the finish straight.
Granted I only tooled around with Super Trucks for a half hour or so, but being very gentle on throttle/brake* was where I trended towards in efforts to keep it under control (even when going in a straight line because the suspension takes days to recover to a stable position). I was just in Test Drive and turning on AI made me feel a deal better though since they seemed way slower at equal AI difficulty in Super Trucks than anything else I mucked about with.

* Gentle turns into tight turns are the anti-christ for a Super Truck. Braking when moderately turning seemed to shift the weight to catastrophic effect over and over.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Norns posted:

You gotta be garbage tier at shifting if you need indicators that illuminate your entire office.
Yellow/red lights on the wheel/dash of my digital car on my tiny poo poo old monitor seem more than enough indication to shift, assuming engine audio alone isn't enough like it is with many cars (especially for non-offroad racing).

Extra peripherals for even RPM gauges seem overkill to me*, let alone the monstrosity this gentleman has built. :shrug:

* Even more so with VR coming into its own in the coming years so any peripheral not directly interacted with becomes superfluous.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

xzzy posted:

Still can't figure out why sim fans think rain in a race is a core feature for a quality game. It fucks up everything awesome about racing.
Because it adds a certain thrill of being able to drive those conditions and not risk life and limb in the process? Dynamic weather also, at least for endurance races, is kind of neat because it can add pit strategy to the mix where you're trying to plan your pit around the weather showing up.*

* Unless it's PCars when pits were broken as gently caress for months; then it can be miserable.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I'd potentially be down for goon AMS.

Really fell out of sim racing once I got a wheel because a permanent setup isn't in the cards currently and :effort: over the few minutes setup time + mediocre, but still fairly fun, feeling setup (office chair, pedals on floor held from sliding back with strategically placed box wedging against the wall, wheel attached to keyboard trey which is, in turn, duct taped to not slide in/out from the racing :laugh:) + few minutes take down. Goon racing might motivate me to go through the hassle though so the wheel is less of a dust collector. Pretty sure I'm still terrible with the wheel compared to controller (in PC sims that a controller is viable) though, but I may be in good company on that front. :shobon:

Guess it also didn't hurt that I got consumed by good non-racing games, but I've been getting periodic inklings to hop into some Dirt Rally (hopefully they fixed the FFB or someone made a decent profile for the T-150... last time I tried it on my wheel it felt like garbage... AMS' Rallycross on the T-300 preset [didn't have a T-150] blew it away in terms of good feeling FFB) and maybe, after exhausting the bit of content that's new since last I played it, hunting down Richard Burns Rally + community patches.

Eyud posted:

Their TS was annoying as hell though because at least a couple people weren't using push to talk and gently caress that, especially when racing with noisy wheels and shifters.
:gonk:

I guess, to be fair, depending on the car (DRS, KERS, handbrake, pit stuff, etc.) it can be hard to afford a button for with racing (really don't like that only 4 buttons are reasonably easy to access on my wheel while actively steering or shifting... my real car has more easily accessible buttons and all they do there is play with the radio/bluetooth connected phone). At the same time, there's probably not too much to be said mid-race besides laughing/apologizing about unfortunate incidents.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I also liked the GT franchise a lot starting from a garbage used car and passing through all sorts of competitions to get newer/better cars or buy upgrades to keep it relevant; eventually the low car count in races and no/poo poo damage modelling wore on me though (hurray fastest way around most street tracks being to grind the wall through a bunch of turns instead of braking). Shame in general that PC Sims dedicate little to no resources towards make a single player career of sorts that's not totally lifeless.

xzzy posted:

The most surprising was the PT Cruiser.. one guy found that with the right upgrades it turned into a track monster. At least within the game, I doubt it translates to real world.
The monster in the real world is the person who designed the PT Cruiser.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

New Nascar Heat Evolution dev diary showing off the career, championship and online modes. More than anything else in sim racing right now I desperately want this to be good.
Sounds kind of like the NASCAR career modes of old that I enjoyed with a bit more depth, but those were hardly tacked onto a game resembling a sim racing experience (albeit a decently fun one, IMO). Is this one actually supposed to be a simulation?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

As I mostly do rally, I play lots of dirt rally 2.0 as well as wrc8 and wrc9. The tarmac physics in wrc8/9 are much better than dr2's tarmac physics. They also have really fun stages with great design, but that's beside the point.

I mostly do DR2 because it works with my triples better and it has telemetry for my DDU and LEDs, and overall fewer bugs, but if they're going for rally style physics, it should work out well for them. Not the most realistic, but enough so and definitely fun.

Play posted:

I know this has already been answered but WRC 9 is my favorite racing game bar none, it is an excellent series, for my money it outstrips Dirt Rally quite easily. It's also got excellent rally physics, seriously it's the only game that has really come close to perfecting those physics. So I would say using the WRC 8 physics is a VERY good thing and presages excellent realistic handling.

Recently got back into sim racing games after years of hiatus and picked up Dirt Rally 2 (after putting in a couple hundred hours on the first) on sale for :10bux: and am having fun with it. Wandered here to check out the state of sim racing and got reminded RBR is a thing I never bothered checking out back in the day and poking around on that point heard the WRC titles are fairly decent nowadays.

Anyway, was contemplating snagging WRC 9 too--although WRC8 is much cheaper and supposedly very similar and WRC 10 isn't far off. Seeing it mentioned here: did you guys know if WRC 8/9 worked well with a controller? I assume it does since it also is available for consoles, but figured I'd check if someone had done so.

Also, if I was to try getting RBR working, did anyone know if that works well on a controller? Seems more like PC race sim classic that might not be controller friendly.

bUm fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 12, 2021

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for input all. Think I will steer clear of RBR and perhaps snag WRC9 while it's on sale... or wait for WRC10 to see if it's good and presumably WRC9 is on deeper sale if not.

Shine posted:

RBR is difficult to the point where I've heard some IRL rally drivers say it's just brutally hard for no loving reason and actual rally cars are way easier to drive. I'm no expert on the matter, but it wouldn't be the first time that sim gamers called something "super realistic" just because it's hard, and there's no way real life could be easier.

:laugh:

I feel like I get this vibe about many "classic" AKA old sim racing titles. I think I watched something with my dad many years ago and Dale Jr. said the same of iRacing being harder than the real thing.

I've always assumed as game engines and computers progress, so too does more easily implementing more accurate simulations of behavior that can account for more aspects without simulation processing performance concerns. But maybe that was never a factor in more modern times and it's just down to how they go about it and how much attention to detail they put in.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Cage posted:

Another racing cockpit for sale. $300 normally down to $159. Price will show as $179 until checkout.

Next Level Racing F-GT Lite Black Simulator Cockpit
https://www.gamestop.com/toys-colle...pit/213765.html

No idea how good it is just bringing it to attention.
Hmmm, looks kinda nice for that price. Briefly glanced into getting one since I now have space/money if I wanted to and a big part of falling out with sim racing last 'bout was getting a budget wheel/pedals and then stopping because the hassle of setup/teardown every time I wanted to race.

Then I'd probably want to get VR too though because my monitor is at-the-desk-use sized. :retrogames:

And probably get better pedals because the included ones with the T-150 (think that's what I have, it's hiding somewhere) are real cheap. :retrogames: :retrogames:

Was a sale length hiding somewhere for how long to hem and haw about it?

Edit: Welp, after looking at reviews and other more budget oriented options--$160 seems like too good a deal so I went for it. :retrogames: At least it folds away nicely if my sim racing kick is short lived. :laugh:

bUm fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 23, 2021

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

I was once like you. Same issues, although I didn't want VR since I hate wearing my headset for more than like 30 minutes.

It's a slippery slope is all I'll say.

(Work in progress as far as making it look nice, plus I still need to permamount my tablet for second dash as well as my button box)
This is in rally config at the moment, for GT3 I swap in the wheel you see way off on the left on the futon, although I leave the rally shifter/handbrake on because they're more trouble to remove than it's worth.

Maybe it's a sign from the universe:

Bought GameStop cockpit on sale from thread: 7/23
Shipped: 7/28 w/ expected arrival 8/2
Notice of delay on 7/31, expected arrival: 8/3
Tracking number reached the local distribution center for me: 8/4
Called about it being stalled for approaching 72 hours: 8/7 and an incident report was created to track it down

After almost 2 full business days (assuming Fedex has people at distribution places on Saturday), still nothing. Beginning to think a Fedex employee stole it or something and there's a 0% chance I'm buying it again not on sale for like $150 more than I paid if it just ends up refunded. Although GameStop literally has no support (just redirects to Fedex), so if it ends up refunded maybe Fedex will pay the full MSRP.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I see AC (base game) is on sale on Steam for $4--a "why not buy?" price point--and the OP (and watching Jimmy Broadbent) says AC has a lot of mod content.

I'm wondering: is the official DLC worth it (jumps to $32--steepish for a 7 year old game) or do the mods cover plenty of bases to not bother? Or, it looks like ultimate edition has gotten as low as $8-some on sale elsewhere so maybe just wait out that if the DLC is worthwhile.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

And rally absolutely is hard, but incredibly rewarding and fun. I'll admit I could never get used to handbrake on a button and ended up buying a couple Thrustmaster Sparco handbrake/shifters for use as sequential shifter and handbrake.

It's so much harder with a wheel/pedals too--finally getting my racing cockpit and hopping into Dirt Rally 2 has been such a depressing drop in speed compared to controller. Went from occasionally just outside top 50 on community dailies/weeklies/monthlies with controller (few/no notable mistakes runs) to hoping for top 500 on decent runs. A learning experience I guess to get back where I am on controller with feel to throw the car around as well. Does seem like separate shifter/handbrake would help a lot--paddle shifters fine when driving normally, but very much slow recoveries from hard spins/crashes.

A Steam sale got me to plop down some change for Project Cars 2 (liked the original a lot besides the dumb as hell AI... seems like the 2nd is good with also still dumb as hell AI) to work up learning to better drive with my setup before rallying some more.

Play posted:

Regarding the game though, it actually is a little disappointing right now. The graphics do not look much better than 9, if they look better at all, and the performance is clearly and obviously worse than 9. I also got some fatal errors that closed the application completely. Great they added rallies and cars but the game doesn't seem to be in the best shape, right now there is no reason to play it over WRC 9 for me. Gonna refund and wait to see if this stuff gets fixed I think.

Seems about right from the reviews I watched. Maybe wait for some initial patching and a sale since it does sound like the fundamentals are an upgrade on WRC 9 (particularly for people who don't already have 8/9). Also, sounds kinda disappointing they didn't spend a minor effort to retain content (e.g. the Turkish rally which looked like fun) even if it isn't part of the official calendar. Same engine and all that, probably almost no effort to keep it in the game even if you only raced it in sub-WRC leagues (or gave an option for longer seasons including them because many people likely wouldn't care about the sanctity of the official calendar vs racing more locations).

Looten Plunder posted:

Are video cards ever going to go back to sane prices or are we stuck here?
From following the GPU market closely up until I ended up with a 3090 at MSRP (wanted a 3070, but alas was not willing to camp overnight to be that far up the Best Buy release event line), it seems like a safe assumption things will be broke till at least 2023. And might even be getting worse short term as TSMC has increased chip costs 10~20% recently so manufacturing costs'll be climbing.

I think the only possible hope near term is Intel is wading into competing with nvidia/AMD and that'll mean more discrete GPUs in early 2022. Otherwise, wouldn't count on much till the next gens of each land (end of 2022), stabilize, and new manufacturing capacity starts coming online (~2 years to build out).

Crypto + last gen GPUs being eh improvements over the previous (so people didn't upgrade and are now trying) + COVID increasing interest in gaming + other industries competing for fabs has been a perfect and lingering storm upon the market.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Play posted:

Honestly after playing a tiny bit more I'm not sure this is fixable. It just looks bad, and the performance is crap. Maybe there is something going on with performance that they can fix but I don't expect a wholesale visual upgrade. Something about the way they updated the graphics just fell flat on its face. I did a rally on 10 and then one on 9 right after and I couldn't find a single point in which 10 was better. Massive disappointment for me, at least for now.

It also doesn't have Mexico which is my favorite rally from 9, and lost a few others too.

I think I'm just gonna start a new campaign on 9, I actually do enjoy working my way through the classes and to champion status and for my money it's a great game, just a shame that 10 for me is a clear downgrade.
I mean--I haven't played any yet, but watching 8/9/10 videos, the graphics are just garbage across the board; the entire franchise's graphics look closer to a 2010 game than 2020. Good thing that's not a dealbreaker in a racing game, especially a rally game where you don't see the same scenery lap after lap. At the very least it looks like they fixed the nonsense windshield reflections (unrealistically reflecting all sorts of stuff outside the car) and it being ridiculously dark on the in-car cams for no reason in broad daylight which seemed like notable and persistent visual defects in 8/9.

Even the critical reviews seemed to like the physics changes for WRC 10 vs 9 though. Although it is pretty hilarious that they made WRC 10 so unoptimized reviewers with 3090's were having performance problems on a game that's visually a potato.

If I get WRC 9 or 10, I'm well aware I'm hopping in for: 1. better tarmac rally physics, 2. a more expansive and interesting career mode, 3. more rally/stage variety, and 4. modern WRC cars. Beyond that, based on ample rally game YT content, pretty sure Dirt Rally 2 seems just better.

Just picked up AC UE on sale and F1 2021 on sale to do a co-op career with a friend so probably good to wait for awhile to see if WRC 10 gets sorted or maybe snag WRC9 if it isn't closer to the holidays, on sale.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Pretty intrigued by the CSL DD aiming to bring direct drive to the masses--something to keep an eye on as hopefully it ushers in some solid improvements for well priced sim racing hardware in the next year or two.

Disappointed looking through Fanatec's steering wheels though since they don't have a cheap "general" solution--the budget options either lacking being round (McLaren) or buttons you can push easily while driving (WRC) and jumping $100 to more well-rounded (:imunfunny:) options.

Sashimi posted:

Looking to finally upgrade from my ancient Logitech Momo. G29s are on sale in my neck of the woods for $299 CAD, plus another $80 for the shifter. Is this still the wheel to get for a casual sim racer considering the G923 is going for $500?

shortspecialbus posted:

I'd recommend thrustmaster over Logitech solely because I like belt drive more than gear drive for inexpensive wheels. The Logitech ones are fine though - they're just a bit notchy, especially around the center. It annoys some people more than others. I used a G27 for about 5 years before my Thrustmaster TS-XW and then finally the simucube 2, so it's not like the Logitech is unusable.
Have nothing to compare it to, but have quite liked my Thrustmaster T-150 as a budget wheel and liked the idea of belt-driven (even if cheaply) over geared based on reviews when I got it.

Have had it since 2015, but only have used for under a year with a 5 year gap in between where I fell out of love with sim racing--in part due to getting the wheel, but not a cockpit, and having the significant setup/teardown time whenever I wanted to race and it being janky as hell connected to a desk with pedals sitting on carpeted floor. Getting a cockpit that can be moved has been a game changer--roll away desk chair, slide in cockpit, plug in power/USB, plop my butt down, and drive. :getin:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Upgrade your pedals before your wheels, people. If you want to go faster, a load cell brake is the ticket, not belt drive or direct drive.
I've been feeling this getting deep into F1 2021 because the cool career stuff--all the videos about going faster on about the importance of trail braking in F1 cars and it's really hard to do right with the very minimal brake resistance of the T-150's base pedals.

Is there a general go to recommendation for budget pedals with load cell? Fanatec CSL pedals w/ load cell kit? Although looks like their website doesn't have the load cell kit anywhere I can see.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

For the wheel, in your situation you might just want to buy the CSL universal button pod and then get a round wheel from ebay. Otherwise the ClubSport Steering Wheel RS is available for preorder and probably is the next cheapest option.
Oh, wow, hadn't even realized that's what that universal hub was for. That's pretty neat. Got distracted by the list of Fanatec compatible wheels in there before without realizing it's good for many 3rd party wheels. Maybe a little light on buttons for some games though.

Wasn't looking to replace my wheel too near term anyway, but that's good to know about for if/when I do since, yeah, there are plenty of options under $50 on eBay/Amazon.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I got an Oculus Quest 2 a couple weeks ago. Considering returning it and maybe exploring again in like a year or so.

The big downer was thinking my current main jam (F1 2021) supported it before finding out the YT videos doing it with F1 2020 were using some 3rd party thing that doesn't work well and basically doesn't work at all for 2021 due to it being directX 12 only. Add on at least one game I want to get (WRC 9 or 10) doesn't support it, my free (from ISP) router definitely can't handle Air Link without the quality dropping out the floor from shadows + occasional hard stuttering/freezing so I'd need to drop more money for a good USB-C cable to use it, and making me ill despite past VR use (at gaming conferences pre-COVID) being fine--not sure if that's due to racing (prior VR use was not as fast moving) or the performance issues.

Was really neat playing around in PCars 2 though, when working reasonably well. Much less neat playing around in Dirt Rally 2--made me very sick and I think I heard the default VR config for the game sucks and seemed like it, it almost felt like wearing 3D glasses which was giving a super weird popping-into-your-face effect on rocks and other stuff right at the edge of the stage that was super disorienting.

Definitely saw the potential though; seemed awesome as hell when it was working well. Think the only knock I have against the product itself (besides not having an HDMI/DisplayPort cable option) is the criticism about narrow FoV seemed accurate, requiring turning your head to see things that would IRL be visible enough in peripheral vision.

Lastly, worried about this impact while titles I'm interested in playing don't support it:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s a bad idea only in the sense that once you use a race sim in VR you won’t want to go back

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Play posted:

does WRC and/or the newer F1 games support VR?
No and no.

They seem like virtually the only holdouts, which is irksome for my current/want-to-play racing aims. I guess I can't be too surprised with WRC since it seems like progress by them is pretty slow in general with 9 and 10 reviews often likening them to expansions on 8 which turned the franchise for the better; the F1 franchise has apparently been coming up with an excuse for not having VR every year--this year it was focusing on making improvements to leverage potential for the newer consoles.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Bentai posted:

1 year free membership to iRacing, new members only, code PR-HagertyDC21
This the first time anyone has done this sort of thing?

Have never really felt inclined to get into iRacing* and not really feeling an inkling now, but can't argue with free--although I'm not sure I'd even bother downloading it within the next year.

* Especially since it sounds like an extremely large money sink (sub + nickel and diming you for every additional track/car) on top of sim racing hardware already making it quite expensive compared to most games.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
F1 22 having VR is excellent news. Hoping their revised tire model mentioned improves realism too--drove me nuts that F1 2021's driving mechanics are more difficult/finicky than more sim titles in terms of surprise snap oversteer and stuff.

The real pro change they need in F1 22, though, is for the AI on in/out laps to not still follow the racing line and completely destroy your practice run/qualifying by being slow as hell right on the apex of turns. :negative:

Boar It posted:

Seeing the mention of "Pitcoins" on the F1 games' store pages immediately puts me off. To the point where I never felt like buying any of them. I despise funcoins to the point where I will gladly pay monthly for content if it means I won't have to put up with that poo poo. Alas I'll never ever be able to convince my friends to get iRacing since they would rather pay for funcoins in games that are totally not manipulating you.

If you don't care about making your car/driver a pretty princess, they have literally no value at all. Seems weird to compare paying a monthly fee to play vs a completely optional cashing in on whales who want to dress up their car.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
AMS2 was on sale somewhat recently, but not sure if that included the season pass with not-F1 2022 cars since I missed it and the Steam price tracker site doesn't track DLC that I saw. I'm interested, but definitely not $126 + tax straight up interested.

Boar It posted:

I've always heard conflicting things. How the F1 games aren't "simulators" etc. But in truth, does it really matter if it is fun to play? Provided it still feels reasonably believable? Only tried F1 2021 for a few minutes with a controller so I can't really be a judge of that.

At an obvious level--I don't think F1 2021 even models flat spotting tires which seems like a pretty bog standard "sim" thing.

The thing that gets me is Project Cars 2 (or Automobilista 1 or other games I've driven) feels much more forgiving driving-dynamics-wise which seems weird as hell as a sim crowd aimed game vs F1 being mass market. F1 2021 irked me a lot with kerbs (and sometimes not even from kerbs) that seem really liable to unrecoverably spin you in the dry. In Project Cars 2 I needed to try pretty drat hard to fully spin their "Formula X" knockoff, but in F1 2021 it feels like as soon as you lose grip all tires have 0 grip until you're fully around (or into the wall) and no counter-steer will help. In comparison, Project Cars 2 always feels like my wheels are still in contact and, while I may have been too slow on countersteer to smoothly recover, that wheel friction/rolling resistance allows some semblance of a recovery where often in F1 2021 it was just gone and ignoring countersteer/friction to even blunt the spin. On top of that, a lot of things about the 2022 F1 regulations pointed out the 2017-21 era F1 cars are possibly the most stable F1 cars ever which makes it feel even more like sudden snap spins are likely unrealistic (unless driving a 2021 Haas haha).

Even watching YTers (e.g. Jimmy Broadbent), it seemed like F1 2021 is pretty notorious for such spins that watching the same YTers check out the iRacing Mercedes W-12 there was no such incidents.

So generally, no, the absolute "simulation" factor doesn't matter if it's still fun to play, but the seeming oddities in F1 2021 definitely wore on me so I'm hopeful that their new tire model for F1 22 will help ease that.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah f1’s tire model is weird. I think mediums are sort of overpowered and softs fall off too fast.

Agreed. Not sure if the mediums were truly overpowered so much as the AI suck on mediums for some reason (lost count of how many times I held position on softs then, after pitting, breezed through the pack) and softs being underpowered due to falling off too fast.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Maybe it depends on the game or me having a low end wheel (T-150) I don't recall flat spotting being that awful.

njsykora posted:

The DLC usually goes on sale along with the base game, the 2022 F1 cars were free content though.

Ah, good to know.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm really hoping the new tire model + VR support will get me back into playing that game because I love the My Career management style of play along with the driving.

Definitely. If it drives better and fixes some minor quality of life stuff + having VR support, it could be so good.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Cropped up in YT recommendeds--an interview with a Codemasters dev on F1 22 (linked to summary timestamp): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7jwRa1oVFo&t=779s

tl;dw: Sounds like the revised tire model alluded to in the press release includes 12 states of load level vs. 4 before which should allow for more dynamic driving between fully grippy and sliding out of control. There's also a new feature (not in the Miami GP preview build, but to be in by release) to actually model the transmission which wasn't previously--so in F1 2021 when you shifted that change instantaneously was going to the wheels where there'll now be a bit of delay/damping in power delivery on shift that in theory mitigates wheel spin.

There's some other stuff too, but those two hopefully point to somewhat less finicky driving dynamics/spins--although anecdotally, the YTer guy was saying spins seem even worse in F1 22, but maybe that's in part to the interview portion noting that F1 esports drivers tended to somewhat drift around the track because it was faster and the new tire model supposedly will make that no longer the case.

One other neat change is that the setups are now universal--there's no voodoo happening behind the scenes automatically adjusting things on a per-track basis anymore (e.g. a 5 wing level at Monaco was different than a 5 at Monza before). Apparently the 5 default setups don't change on a per-track basis with this universality though--making them probably even more useless garbage than they already were which was a huge downer towards playing the game to need to muck about for like an hour per track to find an actual good setup.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Decided to snag WRC10 on the weekend sale as well. Had a lot of fun getting a chance to play it last night. Driving feels good, especially the tarmac compared to DR2. Outside the driving, things feel a tad clunky but oh well--especially the skill point screen bugging out (couldn't change selection) multiple times forcing me to back out and re-enter to work.

Also, I think I encountered a trap setting the rally length to realistic--which made my first one 10 stages which was super repetitive (including same stage, same direction multiple times). Maybe that's in part due to starting in Junior WRC which doesn't appear to have done longer stages mentioned.

Really hope that Codies getting the WRC license includes them looking at the competition so WRC 2023 or whatever they call it is a fantastic hodge podge of this (more detailed career, way better tarmac physics, better/more stages and rallies) and DR2 (VR, way better gravel physics, better graphics/sound).

shortspecialbus posted:

WRC games tend to have broken in-car cameras at night. Switch to hoodcam, it's really your only option other than blowing out brightness in settings, which will look terrible.

Thank you for this pro tip, even if it's super annoying to hop over to hood for every night stage--especially after I turned off all the HUD elements as distracting noise that slows me down (like in DR2) and can no longer see what gear I'm in.

In unrelated news, got a new job making a bunch more money which has me thinking of upgrading my Thrustmaster T-150. :retrogames: Looks like the CSL DD is very out of stock so that tempers things unless others have hopped aboard the affordable direct drive train. Was also thinking about a proper shifter/handbrake while doing rally last night since rotating paddles and push-button handbrake suck in rally--Fanatec shifter/handbrake seem crazy expensive for what it is.

bUm fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 1, 2022

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
In years past, many individual teams had onboards on YT or their team websites as well so you could watch all their cars zooming about. Think there's also a free radio broadcast and the official timing site to build a decent picture of what's going on.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Vando posted:

bUm posted:

In unrelated news, got a new job making a bunch more money which has me thinking of upgrading my Thrustmaster T-150. :retrogames: Looks like the CSL DD is very out of stock so that tempers things unless others have hopped aboard the affordable direct drive train. Was also thinking about a proper shifter/handbrake while doing rally last night since rotating paddles and push-button handbrake suck in rally--Fanatec shifter/handbrake seem crazy expensive for what it is.

Gran Turismo branded version is in stock (for now), otherwise it's just the very new to the scene Moza DD which is apparently the equal of Fanatec, but is its own ecosystem and doesn't have the track record. But they do have stock!

Finally did some deeper research and, yeah, seems like I can either wait who knows how long for the CSL DD (without paying an extra $100 for the Gran Turismo branding) or go with the Moza for more budget oriented DD. Kind of annoying that the Moza DD seems well priced and quality-wise on reviews, but without any wheel selection to match--just recently coming out with an affordable one that seems too light on buttons (and only on the official site so far I think which has $165+ shipping to the US) or a $500 good one which makes the combined price a good deal higher than CSL DD w/ boost + ClubSport hub w/ wheel bundle that seemed like a good all-round setup. Also: lol that there's guides on how to make your own boost box for the CSL DD for $30, instead of the $150 upcharge Fanatec has since it's apparently just a 180W power brick with a somewhat weird plug (4 pin like a modular power supply).

Getting closer to going ahead and pulling the trigger on snagging Fanatec CSL pedals w/ LC to at least get that improved braking feel though--still pretty on the fence about $1000 for a DD + wheel.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
This cropped up in YT recommendeds and may be neat to people talking about Le Mans recently. An onboard lap guide from 1956: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpRFagIbcPE

Homeless Friend posted:

since you're playing rally crap, if you do go fanatec and really don't care for having every xbox button in the world on your wheel for other games, one possible way to save money is to just get an SRM adapter (tho make sure to have a QR or w/e prefit on there since you'd have to actually do work otherwise to wire them) and throw some moderately cheap knockoff wheel on there. I only play RBR and just ended up buying a programmable 9 keypad and just use that for menus arrow keys+enter+esc.
Definitely don't only rally and many racing games aren't as kind as rally ones on buttons needed.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Bentai posted:

You'll get more out of load cell pedals that a direct drive wheel.
Fanatec CSL w/ load cell on the way. :getin:

Held off on other upgrades for now--temptation is high though w/ much disposable income with the job switch (2 weeks overlap, old PTO payout, signing bonus, much higher salary). :retrogames:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Is it a different engine from F1 2021? I found the cars feel terrible, I don't even bother with that game despite buying it. The difference to the iRacing F1 car of the same generation is night and day.

One of the F1 22 interviews a YTer did with a dev indicated the new tire model has 12 levels of traction/loading compared with 4 in F1 2021. So hopefully that significant tire model overhaul helps. I think there were some other changes towards improving driving dynamics as well. Still the same engine though I believe.

Hoping the tire model/other changes improve the driving. I enjoyed F1 2021 enough that it + VR would probably get enough play to make it worthwhile as long as the driving feel isn't even worse.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Tried seeing if any of the F1 22 previewers did a breakdown of how the F1 22 physics changes feel to drive. Didn't find any, but instead found a recent lengthy dev interview from Codemasters on physics/handling changes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilz_w1Dw1lk

tl;dw: Sounds like they changed a lot of stuff in part because they had to (regs, suspension travel to allow bottoming out not just from kerbs since cars run lower) or wanted to (tire model redo because it was bad in F1 2021), indicating it was the most significant year-over-year physics model changes they've ever made to the F1 franchise. Guess we'll find out next week if the long list of changes makes it feel much different/better.

A highlight in there was that they asked F1 teams about grip exiting slow corners and sounds like they improved grip because the F1 teams told them how completely wrong it was and that F1 cars are not nearly that likely to spin/lose traction out of slow corners. Sounds like in general the grip has improved for in control situations, but now goes more rapidly if you push too hard.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
CSL LC pedals arrived today. Going to take some getting used to, but generally liked them a lot giving a WRC10 rally a go with them. Definitely not applying enough pressure sometimes and just hilariously under braking to disastrous results here and there--I bet that'll be easier with circuit racing and well defined braking points. :v: The throttle feels much smoother though, helping get into a nice rhythm on gravel to control the slide and more smoothly apply power over undulations.

My hair brained scheme to use the 3rd pedal as the handbrake instead of a button on the wheel didn't pan out--couldn't find a comfortable position for trying to heel/toe it.

Feel like I'm finally, slowly getting better at rally with a wheel now. Ruined Dirt Rally 2 when I got the rig to use my wheel all the time because I'd put in so many hours on controller and was just painfully slow on wheel; going from winning Masters rallies and top 10% in online events, to getting destroyed by AI and struggling for top 40% online.

necrotic posted:

I think there’s still embargo so we won’t see any actual reviews yet. Dave Cam did say it “is much better” and left it at that.
Embargo on it makes sense.

I think the earlier interview with a dev that Alex Gillon did, it was noted a number of changes didn't make the prerelease build either--I think the full new tire model (12 grip/load levels vs 4) among them. Unless they've been getting updated prerelease builds.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

If you haven't done so already, try setting your wheel to 540 DOR for rally. One of the reason people are faster with a controller and have trouble adjusting is how long it takes to spin to countersteer at the default 900 or whatever. Unless you're bent on doing the broken soft lock (even on pc it doesn't work right) to have a "realistic" one for each car, 540 or maybe even lower is a good place to have it.

Have been running 540 for rally; considered going 360 but haven't.

I do think the issue is similar though. With the wheel, I was less willing to wrestle it around compared to controller where naturally your steering inputs are relatively dramatic whether you intend to or not even with delicate movement. Rally racing ain't about the smooth movements, it's about wrangling the car into the spot you can go the fastest without dying.

Beyond that, I think there's some hardware shortcomings that don't help: the corrective steering force is so slow on my budget wheel that I need to manually help crank it back out of hairpins (and some other turns) to not be nosing into whatever is inside the turn, push button handbrake on the wheel is always a bit awkward, and rotating paddle shifters are not good for rally when you crash and need to do a lot of shifting/steering to get back on course. RIP shifting up instead of down trying to reverse after having the wheel flipped trying to recover. :laugh:

Decided to leap for the Moza R9 which should help with the first point above and perhaps the second with 4 paddles--a paddle seems like it'll be better for handbraking than a button on the wheel at least, even if not as good as dropping even more money for a separate sequential + handbrake. Clearly I just need to not make big mistakes and then the benefits of a proper sequential/handbrake are muted--or I need to get on Vettel's level for handbrake turn skills with paddle. :shobon:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

MrMojok posted:

I know this thread is more devoted to the serious simmers that do iRacing and the like.

Race mans is good and fun, sim or not.

MrMojok posted:

I have an ancient set of wheel and pedals that I don’t think is even certified for use with the game by Codemasters, but given that it takes so long to set up and I can’t leave it on the desk all the time, I end up just playing the game with an Xbox controller.

I definitely use a controller for arcade racers--I assume you're talking Dirt 4?

Getting the Next Level Racing F-GT Lite cockpit mentioned here when it was on sale for a good price last year was a game changer for me. It'd probably still be a pain if I had to fold it down between uses, but being able to roll my computer chair out of the way, slide the cockpit in, plug in the power and 2 USBs, and hop in and race has made racing with wheel/pedals infinitely better because the setup/teardown time onto the desk directly made it such a hassle every time I wanted to race (not to mention much worse seating position and less secure wheel/pedals attachment). 10/10 would recommend; probably recommend the cheaper version that can't do the F1-style seating position. I've never used the F1 position because it's a fair amount of work to adjust the rig, I hear it's uncomfortable, and was not viable because I'd be way too low/far away from my monitor--until, theoretically, next week with F1 22 finally having VR.

bUm fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 26, 2022

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I've come to the conclusion that no one that works at Nacon (WRC 10 devs) has ever seen snow. Least that's the only sensible reasoning I can think of for the snow physics in Monte Carlo where the car is completely out of control and unable to accelerate/decelerate/turn at 5 MPH. Makes the Dirt Rally 2 ice sections in Monte Carlo feel positively grippy in comparison.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

GutBomb posted:

I was super hyped for F1 22 finally getting VR and bought the champions edition so I could play early. Even after updating drivers and playing on low settings, tweaking xml files, etc my 9900k/3080 wasn't able to get acceptable VR performance.

I'm sure they'll patch it but the whole vibe of the game with it's emphasis on F1 life and amassing a supercar collection was just a turnoff. All I want is a decent game that has the cars and tracks and a season progression in VR, and a guy on the radio to tell me when to pit, etc. I refunded it and if the performance kinks get worked out I might buy it on sale again and suffer through the 'tude.

Did see glancing at a couple of reviews with the embargo lifted that there's planning to be a (normal) release day patch hitting a bunch of polish things. Also saw an article wherein the VR worked better on a 2080Ti than 3090 so clearly there's some polish to be had for VR.

Pretty weak to not have that ironed out as a big selling point feature though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Interesting that one G2 had my same swimmy weird experience and another had a good experience. I wonder what the underlying issue is. Clearly not the headsets themselves

I was on my Rift S, so I’ll try it with my quest 2 next to see if it makes any difference.

Even more interesting when the Reverb G2 doesn't appear to be on the list of officially supported VR headsets while the Rift S is (as is Quest 2).