Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

rantmo posted:

Stay with me here, but what if that's not a ponytail by Rogue but a raccoon tail?

Love it. But it'll be someone ruining Squirrel Girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hey what's with otto being back? I assume it's just since Secret Wars or have they done in story as well?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Classic Maximus, really.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I recognize the 5, x23, and genisis who are the other two? Black woman, black haired man?

Idie and the speedster who ages?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 30, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Watching people flip out about a Quran verse they don't understand is both entertaining and sad. Also watching hundreds of people collect as many copies of a book as they can, because if every copy is kept pristine surely they'll all be worth something someday.

Edit- also the really ridiculous interpretations of what is basically a shoutout to local current events. I don't want to make it a big thing in BSS but...

fadam posted:

It's pretty funny how comics Twitter went nuts about Spider-Woman's butt, but nobody of any note is saying anything one way or the other about literal open religious intolerance.

Referencing a verse from your own holy book isn't religious intolerance, hth.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 10, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If only that interpretation was remotely accurate!

Or present in the work!

Diet Poison posted:

I chalk the buy rush to the way collectors' brains are wired. It's no different than something being labeled as "limited edition" except this time you know for a fact they're not gonna go back on that and print a bunch more. I honestly had the urge to go out and buy a copy, but then I, too, remembered how cheaply I was able to pick up a copy of The Kike Called Sabretooth. Even then, there's that little niggling feeling of "you'll never have the chance to get this agaaaain" as I remind myself I do not in fact care and there is next to zero chance a comic printed this century will ever be worth more than a couple times its purchase price.

It's interesting because the drive to collect and bag and preserve these valuable unique printings is what makes them worthless. Action comics #1 only has value because most people threw it away.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Good for Marvel for firing the guy instead of doing something else.

Yeah gently caress that idiot for thinking he could put Muslim numbers in an American book.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's not a rant, it's a reference to a local political issue that 99.% of readers were completely unaware of. But since it's about religion... :yikes:

Lightning Lord posted:

That's not really what that verse means, you should read the G. Willow Wilson post about it. I'd say the group Syaf was referencing misrepresenting it is part of the issue.

Also haha at the Wertham In Action types, the FREE SPEECH IN COMICS AT ALL COSTS crowd being down with Marvel canning Syaf. I wonder why they're ok with it...

I think there's a lot of resentment against "the big 2" out there. Maybe they just think he's a sellout.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

X-O posted:

It's about time for you to just get on board with the fact that you're on the wrong side of this. It doesn't matter what your interpretation of the verse is. It doesn't matter what anyone's interpretation of the verse is. The only thing that matters is the fact that it was used to further the message of a political movement that has no place being presented in these books. The religion part isn't the problem here, it's the political movement that's being pushed here that is the problem. It's been explained in depth by people with more knowledge on this issue than you or I. The artist goofed up, admitted what and why did what he did, and now he's paying the price that is fair for his actions. End of story.

The only side I'm on is that all these people proclaiming that this is hate speech are idiots. Yet they can't seem to stop proclaiming over and over how terrible it is. :) See below. I don't know what the "standard response" is to an artist throwing a subtle reference to something they care about into a work, but I don't think they usually get fired until some idiot starts calling marvel accusing them of hate crimes.

No it's not. you are wrong and dumb. But this isn't the place

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 12, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

site posted:

I just want him to post again so he'll eat a ban for promoting hate speech

"212" and "QS59". Hate speech. :rolleyes:

twistedmentat posted:

Kate is probably one of the few people in the Marvel U that could actually have some kind of normal relationship with Gwenpool.

Is Pete too old for her? I loved the rotating cast of girlfriends and writers we had during BND.

Edit- Everything about unstoppable wasp is perfect.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 13, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

It's 100% not Magneto.

It was a Xorn but which one and how/why has changed a bit. I think the latest version is still that he thought the world needed a Magneto. That Xorn later became The Collective.

This Xorn is the other Xorn's brother who had nothing to do with the original Xorn stuff and was created to retcon and give exposition.

So this is Zorn. Is Shaw a bad guy again? Last I saw him he was mind wiped buddies with the Lights.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

that premise makes me wish they'd done a tv show on when asgard was sitting in the midwest instead

Not too late in the MCU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
How old is she supposed to be in the scene? It says "little girl". On the one hand it could be perceived by some as dismissive of the fact that that still happens to people, but I don't think that's what he meant. Is there more to that scene? Like "I know, that's why I know you can do it"?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jedi posted:

No, even in context it's awkwardly written and plays out in an exceedingly contrived fashion. While I don't think it's offensive, I also don't think it's a very good scene. It also doesn't fit the character at all. Throughout the history of the character that we've been shown, she comes off as incredibly self-motivated. Are we expected to believe all of that stems from a completely forced conversation? It's just not good.

How is that what you are getting from the scene? She's motivated before the scene, that's why she's trying to do the setup.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Axis inversions have been undone by secret wars, unless the writer decides they haven't. sabertooth

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
America Chavez essentially duping Cyclops's mutation with her power was a pretty cool bit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Miles' costume doesn't have those.

No. It has pockets.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, this arc seems to be Ewing's excuse to throw a bunch of his creations and pet characters into one story. The Troubleshooters from Ultimates appear to be in the next issue, and the current at-large Avengers consist of Squirrel Girl, Enigma (formerly POD), Ares, Captain Britain, Excalibur (Dr Faiza Hussain), the Black Knight, Guillotine (a French lady with a magic sword, not to be confused with the American dude with the magic sword or the British Muslim lady with a magic sword), Outlaw (British Punisher) and Peregrine.

When did Ares come back? Is Phobos back yet?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It was cute. I'd buy the hardcover, but there's no sign of one yet.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Skwirl posted:

It's not the worst comic book team up ever

:laffo:

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean, I'm going to full on admit that I do not get it? I get the idea of being upset at this, it's pretty lovely. I would never claim it is not lovely.

Why is it exceptionally lovely?

You are a loving moron.

"I just don't understand why anyone cares that someone did a thing I acknowledge was bad to do"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fadam posted:

According to today's Runaways issue only two years have passed in universe since the first Civil War.

weren't 16 of those 24 months 8 month chunks on either end of Secret Wars ?

Also, can someone tell me when Blackbolt got telepathy? I recently found out, due to the inhumans show, that that power was his; I had always been assuming it was Medusa's (maybe because of the red hair and Marvel).

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 11, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Didn't Uatu have a kid like two months before anyway?

I'd like to see Fury-Watcher put to any kind of use before:

Zoro posted:

I am Uatu's brother son, Uatu. We are exactly alike in every fashion. Since he died, I decided to take over. Please never reference again that I am a different person, just like you do with Nick Fury Jr.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

Plus, I still have that issue of ASM that shows Cap was at Ground Zero on 9/11 back in 2001. #AskQuestions

Doombot.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They could just do a reverse M-Day and have Scarlet Witch say "we need more Mutants" and then everything just bamps into place.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rick posted:

I wish Bendis would've left before

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Can't they just be friends

Yes but first she'll learn some lessons about not being lovely to people just because you think you are smarter than them. Hopefully Nadia will be around too.

I keep thinking about that time Reed was like "Pym, come help I don't have weeks to catch up on everything you know."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

The inhumans suck. Im glad if they go back to side character status.

The Inhumans are awesome, but don't need to be suddenly everywhere all the time because Marvel wants people to care about them in movies and tv shows.

Also the whole retcon of Magneto's twins, SMH.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

His phermone power is effectively mind-control rape.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s ok. I think it would be a lot worse if you didn’t already read Valiant.

Someone recently turned me on to DIVINITY and now I read Valiant.

But only DIVINITY stuff.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Marvel has been terrified of making political statements since Joe Quesada became EIC. I doubt being bought by Disney improved that.

Except for that time they teamed up with the MIC

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Roth posted:

Is this app comics a kids thing?

These rules do seem very "child friendly".

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I thought it was mostly just another key demonstration of how stupid the Builders are.

Did they really think he was throwing the hammer away? This wasn't your first experience at the Thor rodeo, you wrinkly bug-faced nudists.

None of them had been killed yet I think so even if expecting and attack, they weren't expecting it to be effective.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

site posted:

Today's thanos

lmao

What the hell is this book? :psyduck:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh hey that reminds me, has ANYTHING been done with the Annihilation Wave planet yet? at all?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It was a copy. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm holding out hope solely based on superior foes.

• Locked thread