Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

People that make $50k or less over the cap are going to freak the gently caress out when they raise/remove it even though it absolutely needs to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

People that don't earn a ton of money over the cap legit look forward to hitting it because it makes a noticeable difference on your paycheck. My last few paychecks are generally over and it's really nice but I think that the cap needs to be removed. A large number of people in a similar situation are not going to be cool with that at all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nosfereefer posted:

I wouldn't be so sure Hillary butchering Trump in a debate would mean anything. If memory serves, the people who would be voting for him will just ignore it or even make up a new reality where Trump did all the owning. If anything, the media turning on Trump will just confirm the ancient "liberal-media" meme that's always thrown around.

This would only apply to his base. His base can't win him the election. Getting clowned on for the next several months, including at the debates, would probably get a whole lot of his soft support to sit this one out.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Oh she'll give Obama the VP nod alright, Michelle Obama

:allears:

With a hint at Barack being her Supreme Court nominee

:allears:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

No, you're the one who is racist

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Those servers she could have used are the same State Department email system that was hacked. That's the alternative, not some better more secure email.

I'm not defending her mistake, just pointing out how the massively larger issues are being ignored to focus on the private email server.

Since you're just curious and still open to changing your mind, consider that the main accusation is that someone forwarded Clinton an email that criticized a public article. No one has ever had any evidence anyone manually copied classified data into a regular email:

Of course the great irony is we got to read more of her emails because of the stupid server.

It seems that a huge number of people think she was using her personal email for all of her state department business. Like completely bypassing their classified system for her personal server kind of stuff.

I guess I might be a little more receptive of the seriousness of the issue if that were true?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

On Terra Firma posted:

So how about those emails

Emails in Clinton Probe Dealt With Planned Drone Strikes. To get around the paywall just copy that little title there and put it in googles.

If true, it's as big of a non-issue as sane people thought it would be. State and CIA were having a pissing match about when drone strikes would happen, the CIA agreed to give a brief window of notice, diplomats in the field needed to get information in a timely fashion so they used regular old emails for communications instead of hunting down a secure room. :flaccid:

quote:

Several law-enforcement officials said they don’t expect any criminal charges to be filed as a result of the investigation, although a final review of the evidence will be made only after an expected FBI interview with Mrs. Clinton this summer.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Clinton up on Trump in new state poll

Look at that loving state. Just look at it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crain posted:

Yeah when I hear "Gay Latinos attacked in Orlando Club" I think "Someone from Jacksonville took a roadtrip" before Islamic Terrorism.

They've already hinted at it being Islamic terrorism, so buckle in!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

rkajdi posted:

It's only mental illness if the shooter is white/Christian. Expect it to be triple ISIS if the guy ever ate a falafel.

So it could still be that, right?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SpaceCadetBob posted:

CBS News has identified the shooter as an Omar Mateen, a US citizen from a community about 120 miles away from the shooting location.

So "he's not from around here" was technically correct!

There's apparently some pretty strong arzying going on over this like a piddly 20 gun deaths in June will make a huge difference in November :allears:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Antti posted:

All I'm saying is, we should stop Muslims from coming to the country til we figure out what's going on!

I guess it's time for conservatives to suddenly care a whole lot about LGBT people.

Edit: Yeah no this won't move Trump's numbers an inch, everyone's used to mass shootings by now. You need something spectacular like 9/11 and even then it's not a guarantee it'll actually help Trump.

I wonder if anyone will talk about how no one cares about gun deaths if the perpetrator isn't a Muslim if Trump tries to really push this?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

50 dead

53 injured

They clarified, press doesn't treat "casualty" the same as the military does

God drat.

From what I've seen so far he was US born to parents from Afghanistan? So this might lead to some more interesting stuff than "Ban Muslims from entering the US" rhetoric.

Also, there was a good guy with a gun there and it didn't stop this, so we'll get to see what happens with that usual angle

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The only way this might effect the general is if Trump calls for American-born Muslims to be kicked out or put in camps or whatever.

Which is bound to happen since I'm pretty sure it was hinted at during the primary at some point. Unless this continues to regularly happen(muslim terrorist, not general mass shooting) it won't help him, especially if the Democrats get on top of a good response(they won't)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

or in this case the fact that no evidence has come out that the guy actually had any ties to a terrorist group besides invoking their name.

Just like in Harry Potter, that's all it takes.

I didn't really keep up with it after it fell out of the news, but didn't this end up being the case with the San Bernadino shooters too?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

good politics guy posted:

if he's not associated with isis, that means muslims who aren't associated with isis are also dangerous. gg

I'm ok with Trump trying to go down this road. I'm sure it's a smooth one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

emdash posted:

would love to hear solutions from all the "islam BAD" goons that don't violate the rights, civil or otherwise, of US citizen muslims :allears:

They do not care one loving bit about the rights, civil or otherwise, of those particular US citizens. Their perceived safety > *

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well apparently Trump has said that he is changing the topic of tomorrow's speech to focus on national security. Oh god this is going to be painful. But hopefully we'll come out of it with new horrifyingly crazy soundbites.

I bet his campaign and handlers will be really glad to have him going completely off topic from what they've presumably been working on for at least a week...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

So it was probably just him planning it out then.

There has been shockingly little talk of Trump pulling the credentials of The Washington Post, I wonder how other media outlets will treat this? It's the first major print company he's done this too, correct?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

There was an armed off duty cop at Pulse you loving idiot!

Maybe if there were 20, we could have saved more lives. Let's just put 20 armed guards at every possible location where a shooting could happen!

There were 3 police officers there right away. One of them was working security and I'm not sure what the other 2 were doing. So 20 might be a good number to start with.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
^^^^^

We may have killed Baghdadi in an airstrike, but no confirmation yet.

zoux posted:

I was listening to a report on the rise of suicides among white middle aged people and the host asked the expert, "Why is there such a disparity between suicide deaths in rural and urban areas" and the guy just flatly goes "Rural people are more likely to attempt suicide with a gun" and there was a beat of silence and they continued on.

86% of suicides attempted with a firearm end in death
3% of suicides attempted by pills/poisoning end in death

I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but I've seen the pro-gun side get some statistics from countries with stricter gun control where they use some pesticide or some other chemical to kill themselves with a pretty similar success rate to guns in the US. So no gun control is necessary because they're going to kill themselves anyway!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

He managed to kill 50 and wound 50 more.

Yeah, really effective.

Again, the amount killed doesn't reflect your claims.

It could have been millions!

This incident highlights how terrible the "good guy with a gun" theory is but that's not gaining any kind of traction at all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what would Russia do with all of the DNC opp work on Trump because apparently they now have it all. Besides the fact that this is a big security breach is this otherwise a big deal?

Give it to Trump so he can better prepare for attacks so he can get elected so we can die in the glorious nuclear hellfire that should have happened during the cold war?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

So?

Just FYI: Apparently Trump has revoked the Press Credentials of the Wall Street Journal.

It's because they decided to read the tea leaves of his statement about Obama being on the side of terrorists and actually had the balls to print it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm being serious, would Russia give this stuff to Trump to try and help him out?

It's possible. They could also just be trying to get as much info on the dude as they can in case he becomes President.

e: I misread the WSJ as more stuff from WaPo yesterday. That's pretty :captainpop:

e2: vvv Nevermind

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Looking at HRC's Twitter, I'm really uncomfortable with how excited Democrats are to use an extra-judicial list.

I'm for the repeal of the second amendment, but the fact that they're treating "we'll just say something we call a right doesn't apply to people we can choose" like that isn't a big deal is kinda messed up.

Got to get an inch before you can take a mile?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

What the gently caress?

Some of them are really trying to remove the gay people from this incident, aren't they? That will surely get the gays on their side!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

Calling the cartels "an organised crime problem" is like calling Trump "a bit of a dick". Organised crime smuggles guns in from the shadows. The cartels drive around in homemade tanks daring the government to do something about it. They've spent the last decade openly fighting the Mexican army. It doesn't really matter what your gun control laws are, you can't enforce them when you don't even control your own territory.

I'm actually kind of surprised we haven't started blowing their poo poo up with drones in all honesty. I guess they're all tied up in the middle east?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

I'm sure if Mexico asked for them, they'd get them.

Yeah, part of my surprise is that this hasn't happened. I'm assuming that the cartels own enough of the government that it's really unlikely to happen? On top of a million other factors of course.

Did he sound kind of drunk there to anyone else?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There are going to be some pissed off militia folks if this thing where people on the terrorist watch list can't buy guns thing actually takes off. And it will be amazing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Maoist Pussy posted:

You do realize that Ya'll Quaeda was 20 retards and not an actual insurrection, right?

Because the rest of the bloviating pussies that talk mad poo poo about fighting the government were too scared to show up and get hellfire'd by some kid sitting in an air conditioned trailer somewhere. They know they're dead if they ever actually try anything so 99.99% of them will never make it past tough talk on the internet.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

why do we still have to register for the draft

WW3 or CW2

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I didn't really think about it, but Trump pulled the credentials of the Washington Post for putting 2 and 2 together and "insinuating" to something he just doubled down on in less convoluted terms.

:psyduck:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

people kill census agents, imagine the hell raised with a door to door gun confiscation

This isn't even necessary. Do buybacks for the now illegal handguns and military style rifles or whatever they come up with. People that don't go along with it can keep their toys but if they're ever caught with them it's confiscated and they're hit with a pretty hefty fine. Something that will actually hurt. You'll probably get Bird Refuge 2: This time more of them die somewhere, but I'm ok with that.

They'll just have to buy another F350 that will never tow anything or see any kind of offroad action for compensation for their micro penises.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

My favorite thing about this is they seem to think that all those federal jobs, NASA, and military bases/equipment are just going to stay there and be part of Texas instead of getting immediately pulled out and relocated the second they decided to secede. 5 years tops and they'd be loving begging to get back in to get away from the warlords that would carve the place up.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Here's a comparison of the amount of money both nominees have spent so far on ads in battleground states.

No they didn't forget to include Trump's numbers, there literally aren't any.

Someone tell me how this is reason I need to arzy. What have you got for me CelestialScribe?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

showbiz_liz posted:

Castro seems slightly underqualified, but I guess Clinton is nothing if not OVERqualified so maybe that's fine.

Honestly, it's a great way to get him national experience if he's gonna be the first Hispanic President.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Jesus, these comments. It's all hanging and guillotine and firing squads, not a single mention of "hey, we don't need the death penalty, we're better than that."

Have you ever met other people? We're not.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Turns out that Denver and other major cities are too drat expensive to live in when you're a wage worker for the city, so schools in places that are cheap to live are appealing to me.

Denver and other major cities are too drat expensive even if you aren't a wage worker for the city. I'm trying to transfer to Denver because I enjoy doing things in the mountains and don't like blowing vacation time driving 10 hours each way 5+ times a year. I make really good money. Transferring to Denver should net me an 8% pay raise from the higher locality. I'm still not a fan of how much housing/rentals cost there. It's loving ridiculous. I don't know how the median household that makes less than half of what I do as a single income earner gets by in any of these places.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DemeaninDemon posted:

Does your company have a Boise site? Go there. 1300/mo is a nice-sized mortgage here.

I'm an air traffic controller so there are options pretty much everywhere. I've settled on Denver because I know a few people there and there's also the same type of facility I'm currently in. Salt Lake has the same thing, I just don't know anyone there at all. I'll start putting in for bids there if I can't get on in Denver. The overall staffing situation for the agency isn't going to do me any favors though.

My mortgage here in KC is $1300 for a nice 2400 sq ft. house in a nice older neighborhood close to a lot of things. I could have easily afforded another $100k on the house but I like having toys and doing fun things. I'll definitely have to spend that in the Denver area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Awesome. The ads with him talking about how the "woman must be punished" are going to be brutal on him once they start running. Here's hoping he'll continue to run his mouth on it.

• Locked thread