Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

skasion posted:

They did dig into the Vulcans a lot (almost constantly actually) on Enterprise, and pretty much nobody liked it.

The Vulcans were introduced as being a race that already completed their character arc, of course nobody wants stories about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

What is the purpose of the exposed metal on Voyager?

Aren't all ships covered in exposed metal? :confused:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

No, most of them have vinyl body wraps

Just like my house!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Oh god, don't start a separation debate

This separation debate is tearing us apart!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I liked B5 in the 90s but when I tried rewatching it recently it seemed embarrassingly bad. DS9 still seems as good as ever. I don't know why.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

skasion posted:

B5 is good actually

I know it's good I just can't stand watching it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

hey so, I was browsing my local library's website for a few books and uh

Nicole DeBoer and Wallace Shawn are billed before Nana?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Isn't Worf one of like two characters to get promoted in Star Trek?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I guess I blocked out more spinoff series nonsense than I realized.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'll be honest, I never interpreted Soong's name as being a real world name, I figured it was just some fabricated future name, like if they'd named him Xanthyr Kudaceau.

I could never figure out if he was an alien or just super old.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

EvilTaytoMan posted:

That video of the anecdote Sirtis gives about giving Rick Berman grief about the accent over the series is great.

What video was that?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Timby posted:

They literally didn't have seatbelts on starships until the Enterprise-E got refitted at the end of Nemesis. And in the era of TUC, they had rolling chairs on the bridge.

The Universal Century?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

These seem like really good ways to scare off a cool new workout buddy.

Might as well go whole hog and try to duel him with a batleth.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I didn't mind Vic. But like several other things in DS9, I thought they milked it a bit too much; especially near the end. The Nog PTSD episode, though, was well written and one of Vic's finest hours.

So is Vic a sentient being that they murder every time they're done with the program, or did they just hand Nog's care over to the 24th century version of The Algorithm?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

When Vics program isn't running it's equivalent to bin being in stasis, not dead

Are you sure? :tinfoil:

It's kind of a meaningless distinction anyway because even if they don't usually reset programs regularly, they clearly don't have any moral problem with doing so. When the station is under attack nobody is rushing thousands of holodeck programs to the escape pod.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I kinda want to see TOS in Black and White now.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

jeeves posted:

The Addams Family's goth house in the original TV series was actually bright pink on the sets, as it showed up better on black and white.

Fronts and such on TV weather maps were drawn in yellow because it didn't show up on black and white, and the forecaster would trace the lines with a black marker as they he talked during the broadcast.

Edit: it was the fifties

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dysgenesis posted:

My children (who are small) know to use a step when at the sink to make it the correct height. So all you need to do is dig a hole in front of your sink. But remember to fill it in for the next person.

Don't fill it, just make a hatch door

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zurui posted:

If the Picard uniforms don't look like that I will be very upset.

The Picard uniforms will be the Discovery uniforms but with a small holographic embellishment so you know it's more future.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Golden Gael posted:

more like the TNG uniforms are getting the Star Trek 2009 treatment

That sounds too expensive.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh so they'll be high school football jerseys but with the TNG starfleet deltas embroidered in

Ok I guess that's plausible.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

davidspackage posted:

The Cardassian uniforms looked pretty good, until they stood up.

They look like Bruce Timm cartoons.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think the best Voyager episode is probably the last one, but I haven't seen it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

The art style for the trek cartoon looks like a much more bland and safe rick and morty style.

It looks like a comic strip to me.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
It's like his eyes avoid me wherever I go.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Ziyal was halfway interesting.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

skasion posted:

Earth is unironically going to become the kind of shithouse graveyard planet

Yeah but we'll say we're doing it ironically.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Not necessarily that, but that we needed to be brought low and then have some unifying event to reach our potential, as did the Vulcans

So, accelerationism.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Eiba posted:

Any making GBS threads on Star Trek's idealism is an act of incontinence, not malice.

I appreciated this sentence.

:itwaspoo:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

curiousTerminal posted:

Capitalism is a fairly recent invention, and societies had money long before it reared its ugly head. It's really, really not hard to grasp a society that both does not rely on money for survival but also has it for luxury goods and services.

What's a luxury good, in a world without consumerism and luxury brands?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

HD DAD posted:

I do like how behind the scenes stories imply that within a year or two of joining TNG, Stewart went from a no-nonsense serious actor to a goofball skirt chaser

Where do I go to hear the good stories? All I watch are interviews about how much everyone respects each other.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Like getting Al Capone on tax evasion.

I guess I forgot all about the episode with Artificial Intelligence Capone.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I can imagine giving it an honest shot. But pre-believing it's going to be good, yikes.

I'm not buying CBS whatever so I'm free to speculate as carelessly as I like.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I haven't seen the show, did they at least speed up the printing to make it seem more future?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Next season they'll have a stunt man fall on an obvious stunt mat as a reference to stunt mats. Maybe we can get an Easter egg referencing boom mics.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I don't know what you guys are complaining about all these ships look awesome.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Throw that fascist imposter in the brig.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zurui posted:

I am an Enterprise apologist but the most damning critique is that I can't think of a single episode that wouldn't have been better with the cast from a different series.

"Broken Bow" After a mysterious Bajoran is killed on station, Sisko must assemble the crew of the Deep Space 9 and bring the body back to its home province before it causes a religious incident.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Bloop posted:

They were already dead

Murdering him and Spock sacrificing himself for his loved ones (after shoving his katra into Bones) are not the same thing

Darkness should've had Bones shoving Spock into the reactor as their dark twist, it would've been more interesting. We could argue about the morality of sacrificing a friend, whether he would've been so quick to sacrifice if Spock weren't a Jew Vulcan, etc.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Making Bones a (possibly racist) murderer would have measurably worse than the predictable twist we got, goddamn. :stonk:

It's logic, sacrifice one to save the whole ship! Even Spock would respect that.

I guess it would make more sense if it were Kirk ordering him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

oh but seriously I posted:

Worf lost almost every physical confrontation he was involved with, unclear where this sporting prowess was demonstrated in the text

Maybe he just doesn't perform on camera? I imagine Picard taking him from planet to planet trying to show him off, like the WB Frog guy, and then Worf gets hurled into a bulkhead and :ughh: