Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Raserys posted:

Man where do you guys live that you're finding pokemon in your houses, I had to use incense to find anything at all

There seem to be spots in my yard and my neighbor's yard that I can hit from my house. They're not super common, it seems like once I've caught a few over a couple of hours it stops. If my house was closer to the road I'd probably get a few more, but I'm kind of far back.

At work, however, there's nothing. The closest things that pop up are 2 footprints away. I can walk around the parking lot of the shopping center I'm in and catch a few, but from inside I can't reach anything.

There are 2 Pokestops across the street in a housing development and a gym at a church down a side street. If I had a second person working with me I'd wander over on my lunch break, but unfortunately I'm stuck indoors for my shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Petr posted:

I caught an eevee. Is there something special about it? I'm an old man and I don't know what the pokeymans do.

They evolve into one of three different forms (electric, fire, or water). The game chooses randomly, and apparently the evolved forms are available to catch too.

In the original games it was based on evolution stones, and they added more evolutions with each generation (there are like 7 now), so when they add newer Pokemon they may do that too.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Pakled posted:

Also it's pretty rare.

Are they? I got one at work after using an incense, and they were spawning like crazy at the gas station down the street when I was there yesterday.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Well, the game hasn't killed anybody yet, but it did turn up a dead body.

quote:

"The Pokemons are all over Riverton," she said. Shayla showed County 10 the game on her cellphone which displayed a map of Riverton where these Pokemons are located.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Star Man posted:

I posted the source article :colbert:

And I'm probably related to or know one of the sheriff's deputies that investigated it. I'm from a weird place.

My brother moved out there a few years ago, so both he and my mom who lives nearby sent me that link this morning.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Nill posted:

Ingress, Niantic's other game.
There's a Web based map (and map apps too) but you need to install the game and make an account to access them. The relation isn't exactly 1:1 though that area will still have a ton of stops and gyms since both games use the same location data.

Thanks, I was planning on going into town tomorrow for a walk and I hadn't seen what kind of spots were around since I haven't had it on while driving. Looks like there are a decent number and most of it should have sidewalks available.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Luna Was Here posted:

Are there any easy guides to get my android 4.3 phone to 4.4 so I can play this? I've been looking for one for the better part of two days but everything is either 'just use the software update!'which doesn't work or they read like I'm downloading malware out the rear end. I know part of the process involves rooting my phone but I'm not even sure how to do that

It completely depends on your phone. If the manufacturer released 4.4 for it, you should be able to update it through the settings, or worst case find a PC download that you can install via USB.

If they haven't, it can be a lot tougher. At that point, you have to hope that somebody compiled a generic Android build for it, or there was another phone similar enough that they hacked its software to run on yours. Then you back up everything important, follow a tutorial, and hope you don't break anything important while changing over the software (which will almost always involve a factory reset).

Search for your phone on the XDA forums. Usually for a phone, the Android Development forum will have stock ROMs or ones similar to the one on your phone now, and the Original Android Development will have the more generic versions. Check the Android Development first and see if there's a stock 4.4 or higher. If your phone never made it past 4.3 officially, the Original forum will be your best bet.

If your phone is a prepaid or something, you might be out of luck. If it was a popular phone a couple of years ago you might be able to find a Cyanogen build or something for it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

legoman727 posted:

I don't get it. My phone always says "unable to find location" no matter what I do. ...Meanwhile my mother's phone in the same location works just fine. What is going on with this app?

Are you rooted or jailbroken, and if it's an Android, do you have mock locations turned on in developer options? There's some security to prevent people from location hacking that can cause that if any of those things are true.

Failing that, how's your phone's GPS normally? Some phones just have really crappy GPS antennas that don't work indoors, like my old LG G2.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Lblitzer posted:

Where do you get lucky eggs from? I'm just finding regular white eggs with green dots. Or is every egg a lucky egg?

They're items, not like the regular eggs. You get one when you're leveling up (maybe around level 9?) and you can buy them. Not sure if Pokestops can drop them, I've only hit them a few times and haven't seen any.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Kyrosiris posted:

If that was the case, every one of the numerous mapping scripts would not function.

I'm not so sure about that. It LOOKS like the map script will basically query one location and see what pops up, then check a step away from that, and keep spiraling out. I think the game is only receiving data about what would actually be visible from your location and what's nearby, but not getting locations for the nearby ones. I can't tell how big each step is from the mapper though, so I could be wrong on that.

It also seems to sometimes miss things - though that may just be related to spawn times or being logged into the mapper from a different account than the actual game. But I saw a Clefairy and a couple of others nearby, and when I got there there was also a Mankey in the group that never showed up on the map. If it happened to be in a spot that was between two of the search spots, that could explain it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Has anyone seen Jynx in the wild? There was a local park with a nest of them that is now a Slowbro nest. I feel like that will make them exceedingly rare because I haven't seen them anywhere else.

I don't know if it changed in the update, but I was looking at popular spots on Pokevision when it worked, and the Santa Monica Pier area was crawling with them. Plus Omanytes and Kabutos.

I'm in Ohio however, so I can't actually check and see if they're still there.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Hrist posted:

So I finally found a Gastly on the drat map for the first time ever. I had my game open since I was driving home and trying to get some egg distance, and as I was coming up to a stop sign, the noise goes off. I look, and there's Gastly. The second I stop and pick up my phone, it disappears. Literally could not have been more than 5 seconds after it spawned, and less than a few feet away from it.

So much for increasing the distance they'll hang around for when they show up on the map. :mad:

It might have been the timing too, from what I saw when the scanners worked, they only hang around for 15 minutes after they spawn. You may have seen it right before it was set to leave.

There's a park near where I work that used to be full of Magnemites and Voltorbs, but since the shuffle they've been replaced by Geodudes and Gastlys. Seems like a good trade to me.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Alan Smithee posted:

OOC what's the most number of gyms you've held at one point? I just get my two a night (last night said gently caress it and just got the one). Even though gyms are only blocks away in the time it takes to go to another one there's a very high chance I'll lose it, so I've just stuck to the 2 outside my building I can walk to

I've been holding 4 without retaking them for a couple of days now. Basically I've been finding gyms that are my color, training until a spot opens up, then plunking down something that'll be the last or second to last one that somebody will fight. They seem to last longer than just taking over a gym and being the only thing in there.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

chemosh6969 posted:

Has anyone seen a Tengela yet?

I caught one in the beta but I haven't seen one since the main release or noticed anyone here mention it.

I've gotten a few of them in and near a park.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

kuroiXiru posted:

Sucks about Pokéadvisor. Luckily Blossom's PoGO Manager still works for me (at least for checking IVs, I've never used it to transfer/evolve etc.)

I've had good luck with IVTool. I'll set it to not rename anything, but to dump a .csv file of the stats, then I can just pull it up as a spreadsheet.

It hasn't been updated in a while, but it worked a couple of days ago. The only issue I found is where it says to just skip the login info and it'll default to Google doesn't seem to quite work, I have to put my Google info in on the command line, then it'll come up with the link for the token.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Shifty Pony posted:

The easiest solution for the move problem is to have it be random but let you re-roll a move for less than the cost to evolve a new mon. Maybe make use of those fancy character models and offer a "Send X to Candela/Blanche/Spark for retraining?" option costing some amount of candy and in the spirit of f2p games you could even make it take a certain amount of real-world time unless you pay coins (but that would the game quite a bit more explicitly pay to win).

Somebody a while back suggested swapping out species-specific candy for type candy. That by itself would make life easier, but combine that with being able to swap a move for a cost in whatever type the move is. Maybe a lower cost for the spam move and a higher one for the charge move.

The Pokemon games have had TMs since the beginning and move tutor/rememberer/eraser NPCs for almost as long, so there's already an in-universe way to handle things.

What would also be nice would be a way to get even a hint of the IVs without external tools. Some kind of "potential power" indicator that would be like, a red-green gradient shaded icon or something. The games definitely had NPCs that would tell you stuff about your EVs, though I don't remember if there was ever a way to tell the IVs.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Zo posted:

Seriously, you have no actual knowledge if banning cheaters is slowing down their development.
I suspect it's probably not, from what I read it looks like they made another change to the encrypted part of the network traffic. It's probably a lot easier for them to make minor changes to that than it is to reverse engineer it. Which apparently still wasn't perfect since bots have been getting banned regularly, even when trying to act as human as possible.

Mostly, I wish they'd do something for those of us living in the middle of nowhere. Increased/more varied spawns and the ability to suggest Pokestop locations would be nice. Or get the wristband released - there are no Pokestops near where I live, and 2 near work but far enough away that I can only walk over before and after work. But there are a lot along a road I drive down on the way home, so pushing the button a few times per commute would be useful.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Yukari posted:

I thought the ban message was "We're overwhelmed by your response"?

They both are. The "Failed to get data" is more common, but sometimes you get the "Overwhelmed by your response" one instead. I think it just depends on what point in the login it gets the ban status.

Since the account is probably toast anyway, try logging in on pgnexus or something, that would give you a "servers may be down" error.

And if you legit didn't GPS spoof or bot or use that account on a scanner, might as well contest it. I have no idea what the odds are for getting it back though.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

It looks like it's possible to add the text you're given to the IV calculators to get the numbers, too (without the range you get now, or needing to power them up). Right now I'm just seeing browser scripts for it, but I assume at least one of the calculators will update to add that in.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Cartouche posted:

I wouldn't expect anything other. It would be pretty stupid to trade remotely IMHO.

That would make the regionals really hard to get though, people would have to stock up for all their friends if they go out of the country, and if you don't know any international travelers, you're screwed.

Something where you could put up a Pokémon for trade (like put up a Tauros in exchange for either a specific regional or any one of the three) and get whatever when the trade is accepted just to fill the Pokedex/get candy, but then also do local trading if you care about moves, cp, ivs, etc. would be nice.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Next week, I'm going back to New York for a wedding, and I'm planning on one day where I go down to NYC with no real plans. I pretty much always hit the Nintendo Store when I'm out that way (ever since it was the Pokemon Center and they had that cool Pokemon gift machine), what places are good for Pokemon Go?

I get the impression Central Park is pretty much the place, are there any other spots where rarer stuff spawns that might be worth a visit? I had to restart not long ago (GPS spoofing ban) and I'm trying to rebuild. All the "best Pokemon spots in NYC" articles turning up on Google are from before the various spawn shuffles, and include stuff like "some guy caught a Charmander over here", so I don't know what's accurate anymore.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

theflyingexecutive posted:

Union Square Park, Battery Park, Prospect Park, Transmitter Park, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Brooklyn Bridge Park, Brooklyn Borough Hall

Thanks! Now to fire up Google Maps and figure out a route.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Modus Pwnens posted:

The grasses indicated spawn points and were really helpful when the radar worked.

They didn't really seem to, there were always a couple of grass spots near my house, but things didn't spawn on them. Maybe if you were on one, you'd be within range of some kind of spawn point, but it was animated regardless of whether or not something was actually there.

It would be nice if they brought them back but as an actual, "Something is right here, right now, you just can't see what it is yet because you're too far away."

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Eyochigan posted:

That was my plan. Then I realized it's only one evolve every 12km. I think I'll do starters/pikachu/jiggly etc. and anything else that's legit rare in my area.

edit: unless the candy amounts vary per pokemon type. it may be 2 candies per 1km, 3 candies per 2km, 5 candies per 3km, etc. could be 1, 1, 1. wouldn't make much sense considering how arbitrary the numbers are. why is pikachu 1 if he's supposed to be ultra rare?
Somebody said it creates a journal entry when it gives you candy, and the text includes a field for the number of candies. So it's probably more than 1, and may be a random amount.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Well, I wound up cutting my NYC Pokémon Go day down to just a couple of parks due to time. If I had to do it again, I'd just have sat by a lured corner of Central Park all day.

Once I got there, a Gyarados popped up on my sightings. I showed my phone to my sister in law that was with me, and suddenly people started bolting from the little plaza in the corner into the park. So we followed. Ran into it not far away and everybody started catching theirs. Probably 100+ people converged into a little area by the lake.

Also so stocked up on Pokeballs and hatched a ton of eggs. I'm going to be so disappointed when I get back to my dozen Pokestop town (there's one spot where there would be 2 in range, 3 if you were in the middle of the road).

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Hrist posted:

Dear pogo thread, it finally happened to me.

There I saw, face to face with Dragonite, god of all rare spawns. My hands were trembling. The great balls were flying directly to the right out of my finger spinning them to get ready for a curve ball attempt. So many wasted from my trembling and fumbling. Dragonite attacked relentlessly. "How can you even throw that far back?!" Memories of the legendary Rapidash fights I've only read stories of from survivors raced through my mind.

Anyway, 30 great balls missed and 2 instant break outs somewhere in there later, it ran away. My pokedex will forever be tarnished by that 1 more seen than caught. :smithicide:

But I did find my first Tauros. At like, CP74

When I was visiting my family, a Dragonite popped up in front of the house one morning while I was on my way out to walk the dog. I caught it on like the first throw, but it was only about 150CP. My sister in law missed it, and her husband couldn't catch his after multiple throws.

About 15-20 minutes later, it came back. I couldn't see it again, but she caught it, and it came back for her husband too but he still couldn't catch it. Apparently that's the third one to have gotten away from him - they hadn't seen them near the house before, but there's a town nearby where they show up sometimes.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Oh, what the Hell, Amazon. I pre-ordered the Go+ back in June, and my order went from "We'll let you know when we have a shipping date" to "Arriving Tuesday, preparing to ship."

Now it's back in stock, and if I were to re-order it, they claim it'll arrive on Sunday. Guess I'll wait it out at this point.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

My Plus showed up today, so I kept it on while driving to pick up lunch (about a half hour each way). While more than half of what it saw got away, it did blink yellow at one point and I caught it, turned out to be a Raichu. The journal doesn't go far enough back to see everything it caught/missed, but it does seem like it caught some decently high level stuff (though mostly bugs n' birds).

The Pokestop detection is pretty good, I only had two where it went out of range between blinking blue and hitting the button, and those are ones that I know are a little bit off the road. It did miss a couple, not sure if it was from going too fast or something else. It also missed one or two because there was a Pokemon there at the same time, and that takes priority. By the time the catch was done, I was out of range.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

The Go Plus is frustrating. I left for work with 101 regular Pokeballs. By the time I got to work, after hitting the button every time it turned green or blue, I was at 48 Pokeballs, and about 20-30 catches. Which sounds like a decent enough catch rate, but it also burned through all the Pokestop Pokeballs, so it used more than 53 to get those. And most of what it caught were the usual pidgeys, rattatas, and bugs. One Jigglypuff and a handful of plants. It did hatch a few eggs at least.

My wish list for this would be an option to ignore specific Pokemon (maybe a checkbox on their Pokedex entry) so I can claim a Pokestop on a drive by if there happens to be a Pidgey sitting on it at the time, and save the balls for stuff I actually need. And an option to use berries and better Pokeballs - maybe break it down so you can pick for easy, medium, and hard catches so it doesn't waste all your good balls on low CP stuff, but might actually catch that Venusaur that you drove past (which got away from me yesterday).

It also seemed to have some issues with Pokestop detection, but judging from what I saw when I turned the phone on, I think the GPS was lagging a bit behind at times. I also got two "0 items recieved from Pokestop" yesterday, which was weird. I think that's probably an issue getting data off the server, once in a while I'll spin one manually and nothing happens.

It's got potential, but it's definitely limited at the moment. Maybe they'll actually produce these things in quantity and there'll be enough of a demand to add features. Otherwise, I feel like the watch functions are going to get all the developer time.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Arkanomen posted:

Also take some brighter pictures as well. This should be an easy hack.

E: Give me as close a clear picture of the LED. It might be a multi color and have more than two pins which will make things a little more complicated.
Here's another teardown somebody did. The pics are brighter, though some seem washed out by the flash.

Also, it's definitely a multi-color LED.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Arkanomen posted:

Good. That makes things easier. We can pick then when the button fires. What do the colors mean for the plus?

Long green flash - Pokemon found
Yellow flashes - Uncaught Pokemon found
Long blue flash - Pokestop in range
blue flashes - waiting for connection
White flash - when catching/0 items from Pokestop error
Red flashes - Pokemon fled/generic error/got out of Pokestop range
Rainbow flashing sequence - caught Pokemon/got items from Pokestop

So normally it would just have to push the button if it sees green, yellow, or blue. But those will also show up as part of the rainbow. It wouldn't hurt it to hit the button during that as far as I know, though.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Pakled posted:

No word yet on when they're adding new stuff. The Pokedex IV bug has (probably) been fixed but that's not exactly something new.

This is just an unsubstantiated guess but I'd be surprised if we didn't have at least an announcement of some substantial new content (like trading or a new gen of Pokemon) by the end of the year.

I saw one mention of trading being found in 0.39, but I haven't seen any confirmation or details on what exactly was found. But the Buddy system showed up in the files one version before it actually released, and they did say big changes and features coming soon in the post about it, so it's possible there's some groundwork in there.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

CrashCat posted:

The Plus accessory had a chance to bump interest but they seem to have made about five of them total so it's not making a lot of difference

It's also basically a device to scare away Pokemon that's powered by Pokeballs.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Why do they use the female model with the clipped tail for Raichu? Are they all like that?

They changed them to the male Raichu model a few patches ago, but the thumbnails are still the female one.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

CrashCat posted:

You're not wrong, but those were Pokémon I wasn't gonna get anyway since I wasn't playing :shrug:

Yeah, but the commute to and from work will burn through 100+ Pokeballs for me. I'm probably going to stop using it for that, but it's nice to hatch and stock up on eggs.

If I could turn off the catching, and just leave on Pokestops and distance tracking, I would totally do that.

But I'm also planning on getting an Apple Watch in the near future, and it looks like that doesn't support catching, so maybe that would work better for me.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Tar_Squid posted:

Seems like the Meowth I just hatched is 93% perfect- 15/15/12 ! Too dern bad Persian is still garbage.

Upside is I almost have enough candies to evolve it now, for the Pokedex entry if nothing else. Also have enough to evolve Staryu into Starmie- worth it to pop a Lucky Egg before doing both, even if I'm just at level 18? Don't want to waste those Lucky Eggs.

I've been using this calculator to figure out when to pop an egg. It doesn't factor in things being new to the Pokedex, but it lets me know when I have enough weedles and pidgeys and stuff saved up to make it worthwhile, and how many to transfer ahead of time to max out the number of evolutions. The Go Plus has been getting me a ton of extras, so I might as well make use of them.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I heard it came with coins, how many does it give you?

It does not.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Frown Town posted:

I'd love a Pokemon Go Plus to make pokebiking easier. (I have a phone mount)
But I'm also not convinced I'll still be playing with the same fervor whenever they're back in stock.

Is there anything like a DRM preventing people from just selling their used devices once they tire of pidgey farming?

Nah, you can just unpair it. There's actually instructions for it in the little sheet that comes with it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Nowa posted:

Unless the desktop tracker is flipping the gently caress out, Niantic pretty much doubled the number of poke-spawn points today.

Frequency of seeing garbage pokemon hasn't changed but there's twice the chances! My nearby list is ALMOST full now.

Wow, yeah, I just turned on my phone and there was something in the parking lot reachable from my store, I've never seen anything there before. Now if only I was in range of a Pokestop too. And there are only 3 in my nearby list, but since it doesn't seem to show duplicates of the same Pokemon on the list, I'm not surprised.

Too bad I'm on iOS10 right now, I'd love to have a joystick on there so I could sit on the Pokestop across the street.

I'll have to see what it's like at home now - there are 4 spawns that I can reach from my house (depending on where the GPS drifts), it would be nice to have 6-8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

On the way home from work today, the yellow light started flashing when I was about 2 minutes from home. I thought I was out of Pokeballs, but I must have picked up a couple at the Pokestops in town, because I caught it with my last ball.

Blanche says his IVs suck, but I'm just glad to finally catch one.

• Locked thread