Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

And the press punishing her every single time she does isn't helping.

We only know about the Clinton Foundation donors because of extra transparency not required by law. So how does that get used?

Well, the AP used it to imply Elie Wiesel got a corrupt meeting with Clinton while she was Secretary of State.

This doesn't matter. Them whining about not getting enough access is kind of silly, but bitching about what they do or don't do with it is dumb. It's part of the system and anyone complaining about it sounds like a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Its not a complaint. It's a comment that if the press wants even more info maybe they shouldn't act so poorly with what they have.

I'm just saying even that sounds like "well if they want a good story they should write the story we want"

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

computer parts posted:

Would be a better argument if we hadn't literally just gotten "man uses his pension money to do stuff, people shocked!"

I completely agree. They are covering some really stupid poo poo for the sake of "but both sides are equal!!" but that's kind of the point. They have always done that and always will.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

The thing that drives me up a wall with the whole "Clinton is a LIAR" thing is that you can go through any fact checking website and see Trump lies through his teeth left and right. Comparing their statements and seeing how true most of them are isn't even close. When I bring that up they say the sites have a liberal bias. When I ask them to point out where the bias is they can't show anything. These people are not even worth arguing against. They say they hate liars but they back Trump. That tells me all I need to know so I ignore them. You can't even have an argument with them about policy like you could in the past.

Tell me you want to carpet bomb every Muslim country on earth. I get it. Tell me you want to go back to the gold standard. You're dumb but I get that. Tell me you want to dismantle every EPA protection. Ok sure. Tell me you hate Clinton because she lies but love Trump because he's honest...What?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Just the fact that she is being openly bankrolled by goldman sachs and the rest of wal street is pretty drat revealing.

Even if bankers are the most vile and corrupt people on earth they still want a semblance of stability. Trump isn't good for business. Clintons seem like they are.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

and thats exactly why trump is more progressive than hillary. he actually wants to dismantle this whole tax exempt cartel of high financiers raping everybody. hes pretty much humanitys last hope

There are so many things wrong with this holy poo poo.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

awesmoe posted:

If you dont pay for good journalism then you're gonna get bad journalism :frogbon:
Like, do you think that the people finding the pam bondi story or getting the background on brannon or finding the visa status of the trump modelling agency models or, yes, investigating the clinton foundation and checking whether there was corruption there - do you think they work for free?

If we keep getting dowds and lauers they will be.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Yes. He did. It's on video. He says this.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Yeah we get it, she's the wonkiest wonk that's ever wonked. And yet she can't point to any actual policy accomplishments beyond advocating bombing a bunch of ME countries.

shrike82 posted:

Kinda hard not to ding her for it considering that she's deliberately played war hawk on Iraq/Libya/Syria etc. purely for political reasons to counterbalance her soft as a woman image.

It seems like some people waltz into D&D with the intent to show everyone how they earned their custom title.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Radish posted:

Trump is losing:

Women
African Americans
Latinos
Muslims
Catholics
Mormons
College educated white men
LGBT
and apparently not great with moderate Republicans

but still is gaining ground nationally and now winning swing states. I just don't understand. I'm hoping that the day after the election it comes out that uneducated white males were significantly over-sampled but Trump losing practically every demographic while still being very competitive is mind boggling.

Uneducated white people hate the other and there are a lot of them. That's all there is to it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Another good reason to have not nominated her.

Oh for fucks sake give it up already.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Jesus. That gave me goosebumps.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Blastedhellscape posted:

This election she’s also gotten rather into voting for Hillary Clinton and cheering her on, and tells everyone that she thinks Trump would start World War III.

I feel like old people who lived through WW2 would be great surrogates against a guy a lot of people think will start WW3.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was english and spanish.

Obama was +44 among hispanics in 2012, Hillary is currently +49.

Trump has about 80% disapproval among latinos. So, there are still a big chunk of latinos who don't like him, but are voting for him anyway.

I know a few guys who wholeheartedly believe people at the border should be shot on sight and that gun ownership is the most important right they got when they became citizens. I think a lot of latinos are on the FYGM train when it comes to immigration.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Has she ever addressed any of the shootings directly like this?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Senf posted:

And 88 characters if you don't count the spaces or @BreitbartNews.

There's no way this wasn't intentional.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I'm pretty sure this was posted earlier in the thread but I saw a quote that jumped out at me.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ontent=20160920

quote:

During his allotted time to question Stumpf, Sen. Patrick Toomey, R-Pa., voiced skepticism at the idea that the 5,300 Wells Fargo employees who were fired had all acted independently.

"You state unequivocally that there are no orchestrated effort or scheme, as some have called it, by the company," Toomey told Stumpf. "But when thousands of people conduct the same kind of fraudulent activity, it's a stretch to believe that every one of them independently conjured up this idea of how they would commit this fraud."

Obviously this is jumping topics quite a bit, but how does this line of thinking not apply to the police? Kind of neat to see a Republican making this connection with Wells Fargo though. I don't think it's getting nearly as much play as it should.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not the biggest fan of Don Lemon but the amount of patience he has with Lewandowski is saint like.

http://crooksandliars.com/2016/09/watch-don-lemon-has-had-it-trumps-racism

This is the 3rd or 4th clip I've seen of them going at it the last few weeks and I don't know how he holds back as much as he does. I would leap across the desk and strangle him if I had to listen to that.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Edible Hat posted:

These people are your coworkers, neighbors, etc. They likely know whom you support. Your belief about how stupid they are will affect how you interact with them, even if you don't state that you think they're dumb explicitly. Their association of Clinton with your generally dismissive attitude towards them will, at the level of the lizard brain, have some effect on their decision in November. I am not asserting this would be a major or decisive effect. I am saying, as a rule, you shouldn't be a dick. I also think you might feel better if you stop thinking 15 percent of the population is dumb. :)

I think a lot of people would feel better if we could trick ourselves into believing things that aren't true.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

nutranurse posted:

A REAL loving THING THAT HAPPENED AND SHE WAS FIRED OVER.

BTW DONT BUY ANY OF KERRYGOLD'S PRODUCTS.

Wait seriously?

WampaLord posted:

The butter people?

:stare:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Maybe it was a misunderstanding.

https://twitter.com/KerrygoldUSA/status/777620372199911424

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

This will probably get zero traction and I'm not sure whether or not any of it has been posted or reported before but holy gently caress.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-business-campaign-trail-228500

quote:

Donald Trump’s presidential campaign has paid his family's businesses more than $8.2 million, according to a POLITICO analysis of campaign finance filings, which reveals an integrated business and political operation without precedent in national politics.

The GOP presidential nominee’s campaign has paid his various businesses for services including rent for his campaign offices ($1.3 million), food and facilities for events and meetings ($544,000) and payroll for Trump corporate staffers ($333,000) who helped with everything from his traveling security to his wife’s convention speech.

In all, the Trump campaign’s payments to Trump-owned businesses account for about 7 percent of its $119 million spending total, the analysis found.

How is this not a thing. How.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

He's also charging the Secret Service millions of dollars to fly in his plane and stay in his hotels, in addition to the amount he is charging his campaign for him to do those things AND how much he's charging it for his own personal security in addition to the Secret Service

If he gets away with it then yeah he is a pretty clever businessman.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

How anyone can predict what 2020 is going to look like while we are still in the midst of This loving Election™ blows my mind.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Shillary posted:

Without Kanye there's no one to create the fourth wave of hip-hop. Without Kanye there's no Kendrick or Chance or Vic Mensa or Future.

Good.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, he hates staying in hotels, is a notorious germophobe and soft sedentary pampered man.

https://youtu.be/XfqyCpDfOk4

It's uncanny.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Doredrin posted:

Statistically gun ownership and the murder rate are not terribly correlated. America has a murder problem first and a gun problem second.

Pull up thread pull up

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is there a medicine that puts you in a coma for exactly 44 days?

Asking for a friend

Alcohol. Sort of.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I am still in shock from last night. As I was watching Trump just come apart I just kept saying "Oh my god" to myself over and over. I've never seen anything like that. I read Bernsteins biography of Clinton years ago and am generally a fan, but I had no idea how capable she was of handling herself until last night. It was like watching a masterclass and a snuff film at the same time.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

lozzle posted:

If you'd have seen her debates against Obama or her Benghazi testimony (it's understandable that you haven't) this wouldn't have been so surprising.

Hillary Clinton is a complete badass.

I watched them. They just don't hold a candle to the gulf between the candidates last night. It was shocking how much of a step up to the big leagues it was compared to the primary debates.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I just got off the phone with my mom. We were discussing last nights debate and holy gently caress is she furious over how patronizing and rude Trump was to Clinton. She took today and tomorrow off of work to go work the phones at a local Democratic party office here in Virginia and she plans to do that every day she has off all day until the election. She has NEVER been involved in any campaign and she's 63 years old. I know she wasn't a fan of Trump and was indifferent towards Clinton before but this cannot be an isolated thing. :stare:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

^^^^^^^^^^ ugh gently caress off with your fast posting

quote:

Barb Haag of West Chester, a retired teacher of the emotionally disturbed, said Mr. Trump’s interruptions did not bother her. “Kids interrupt you all the time if they have a point to make,” she said.

“His manner of speaking was thorough, to the point; I liked the way he sounded,” said Ms. Haag, 69, who said she was leaning toward voting for Mr. Trump.

So close. She's soooooo close.

edit: Just got a text from my mom after working the phones for 4-5 hours. "Only spoke to a few people. It was kind of boring. gently caress him. She has to win!!!!!" oh mom :allears:

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 28, 2016

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Bashez posted:

Admitting being an accomplice to attempted murder and making death threats to the judge when your boyfriend gets indicted seems like unpreparedness.

I feel like I missed a page in the thread but nope. Is there any context to this because what in the gently caress?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Clapton is a huge racist and blues dads worship him... so this has a high chance of happening.

Huh? I didn't know that. Any choice quotes?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Rock against racism was setup explicitly after he went on his racist as gently caress rant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Against_Racism

I'm glad Clapton son dead.

e:

I mean losing a son is probably one of the worst things that can happen to anyone but jesus gently caress how did I not know about this

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I just can't stop laughing that they think Hillary isn't prepared to go deep on policy.

Hillary could probably go for 6 hours and not even get through half of her policy details.

She could probably go for a few weeks and not even hit half.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I want Trump to show up naked

Please god no

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Pakled posted:

Seeing the two of them side by side is different than seeing them both speaking separately, and a lot of people have only heard sound bites up until this point. Hearing the two of them talk in longer form is more illuminating.

It was shocking to see how stark the difference was when they were both on stage. I never in my wildest dreams thought he could melt down like that. Never. I can't imagine how it looked for truly undecideds that haven't paid attention to politics the last 6 months. Somehow.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So my fiance lives in a political bubble and doesn't pay attention to anything regarding the election. She sees how wound up it gets me and just avoids it I guess. I made her sit down and watch part of the debate tonight. She has never seen Trump speak at length (I have no idea how but she never watches the news or reads anything about it online.) She works in the corporate world and has to deal with sexist bullshit all day every day so at the end of it she just kept going on about how insanely threatened Trump is by Clinton. He doesn't know what to do with a strong well spoken woman that laughs at him. "What...the gently caress is he even saying??" was said aloud a few times. I never said a word.

She's not exactly big into politics but she said whenever she sees that in the workplace the women just usually get fired because men like that don't know how to deal with it. When Trump started yelling over Clinton my fiance got so pissed so fast. I know I mentioned how angry my mother got about it a few pages ago, but seeing someone turn red with anger at how he talked over Clinton made me realize (again) how oblivious men can be to this sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

NathanScottPhillips posted:

All I have said is that white men have reasons to respond to a poll saying they feel discriminated against.

And those reasons are that they are petulant children that lack the ability to empathize with anyone other than themselves.

• Locked thread