Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i just recently got hired myself. interviewing sucks, but it's a great feeling when towards the end of the second interview you notice the tone has shifted to the manager pitching the company to you

Jonny 290 posted:

Where do you see yourself in five years?

i'm not at all where i thought i'd be five years ago and five years ago i was not at all where i thought i'd be five years prior to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

C.H.O.M.E posted:

last time i got this question i said "i would like to be an astronaut" and got an offer

the irony is that, at least for some time in the 90s (not sure if still the case), NASA was actually most interested in people who were relatively indifferent about becoming an astronaut

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Elysiume posted:

holy lmao
imagine trying to hire someone without knowing all of their eye movements during the exam. how could you possibly vet candidates without that information

webcam required for employment

wow

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it's always huge lols seeing a computer janitor job posting where they say the ideal candidate would have a cs degree.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

would you rather they lied to you and claimed that was not a preference?

i mean, i'd rather they had reasonable preferences as to what constituted a good background for computer janitoring, but it's still nice to see when HR is clueless about what the position actually requires

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ADINSX posted:

If anyone is looking for a python/big data dev position in Seattle we're hiring. The pay is pretty meh but its an exciting time at the company, we're slowly moving off our farm of postgres databases to some kind of big data analytics solution.

cool, what company? i have a friend who might be interested

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Twerk from Home posted:

my job had 4 really important people leave from an engineering department that was only like 16 people and everything is horrible now

the VP was one of them and now his office is full of old furniture and the CEO won't listen to anyone who's not a VP saying that the dates he's demanding are impossible

i want to hear a story about a ceo/owner that just literally fired everybody in a fit of rage lol

i am certain that's happened out there

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ADINSX posted:

Moonlighting used to frowned on by employers because it meant you'd do a shitter job for them. I'm not sure what changed or why employers think "oh this guy loves his own projects so much he neglects his job to work on them" won't somehow apply to them once they've hired that employee.

I think the management storytime is that it indicates this person loves programming soooo much that they'll be thinking about how to accomplish your tasks even when they're at home or whatever.

To be fair there's a lot of aggrandizing poo poo out there about "well real programmers are just constantly obsessed with coding" so it's understandable that someone with no knowledge of it will accept that and think "oh okay so that's the kind of person I should look for when I need to hire a new website janitor."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
last place I worked didn't do drug testing in part because they knew if they did they'd be letting go half their workforce

current job does random drug testing but whatever, I never was big on weed anyway and they're really nice enough otherwise which makes up for it for me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rex-Goliath posted:

an advantage to your company being hq'd in silicon valley

nah this was in Oregon, although the corporate HQ (& now sole location) is in the Larry Flynt building in LA

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oregon has also mandated sick leave

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
if you're salaried and you can't get comp time (even if unofficial) it's time to get a new fuckin' job

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

immunizations i could understand (esp in CA) but lol @ physical + drug testing

i'm guessing it's a company that mostly does other stuff and just happens to have an IT department. place i currently work at didn't ask about immunizations but did want a physical (which basically consisted of "are you having a cardiac episode right now? no? okay cool you pass") and a piss test. we have an actual warehouse with forklifts and poo poo on site though so i wouldn't be surprised if it's as much an insurance thing as anything else. it's also understandable that they wouldn't want only some of the workforce getting tested.

i was never big on weed so given all the other ways in which they generally appear to give a poo poo about their employees, i'm not terribly perturbed by the random drug testing policy.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 6, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

oh hey, a rejection letter from a company I interviewed with three weeks ago. I pretty much figured out that they weren't hiring me by the three weeks of silence.

lol i got one last week from a job i applied to five months ago

like, why the gently caress are you even bothering at that point? are you trying to be insulting?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PapaLazarou posted:

Graduating from school looking for electrical engineering jobs and it sucks. All the job postings seem to want at least a masters degree, and of the ones I have applied to, one got back to me.

In their supplemental application they want 7 years of rental history. Why would they ever want that?

at the place i work at the standard application form has an appendix that's basically authorizing them to run a background check and includes a place to write in your SSN. i was honestly just applying to fulfill my weekly quota of applications for unemployment, so i just laughed and left that part off when i submitted the application. like hell i'm giving out my SSN to every fuckin' company i sling an application at

funny thing is i think that scored me points with my boss

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lancemantis posted:

Being a sysadmin isn't a joke job and can be serious business; being a SRE or working in big money data center environments is work

sure, that's why you look for applicable experience and demonstrable career growth in skill and responsibility

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Twerk from Home posted:

i just quit my job by sending my resignation letter to the wrong printer, and that printers owner scanned it and emailed it out to the whole company

this is literally the first thing i've printed while working here, and setting up printers from ubuntu is a pita

lmbo that's amazing

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mishaq posted:

*flies into thread*

hey guys, your old pal stymie here

actually, making computer touchers take tests is cool & good because they should be subjected to the same treatment retail workers applying for jobs at megachains have

quit now and do actual labor!

now excuse me while i jack off to a new hentai series about construction workers propositioning passing by high school children who are of course 18 years of age on my iphone 4s running ios 5

*flies out of thread*

dude, stymie hasn't posted in this thread for a week

maybe take a walk or something

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah I'm really curious what kind of fresh stupidity has cropped up at my last job but not enough to make me want to communicate with anyone still there

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Stymie is actually cool and good. it's the kneejerk "agghhhbllflflbghhhh stymie posted" responses that are tiresome

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

love this article
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

right up there with that rolling stone article about how miami is doomed

somewhere in the pentagon i'm certain there's a plan drawn up for when the Cascadia big one hits, and i'm morbidly curious as to just how many aircraft carriers it calls for parking off the coast to run helicopters off of

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

helicopters for what?

The entire Pacific Northwest coast is going to be totally isolated because every road and power line running across the coast range will be severed by a major earthquake. They'll need helicopters to bring in food and water and/or evacuate the survivors west of the coast range.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I have bad news for you. there ain't gonna be a "Berlin airlift" for cascadia

too many people not enough Cold War brownie points to win

6/10, poor effort at cynical posting.

(the real reason we'd all be left to die is because we're so reliably democrat for the past couple of decades)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bhodi posted:

"The policy tracks with some of Nardini's other beliefs about work-life balance. In her Times interview, she said she valued work ethic to the extent it matters "more than most anything," and that young people new to their careers should get comfortable with discomfort.

"It's really great to feel uncomfortable," she said. "And you change so much as a person from that.""

lastjob's CEO was known to have said on more than occasion that he fervently believed every employee should feel like they could be fired at any moment and should fear for their jobs

he's a total rear end in a top hat and i hope he dies in penury

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ThePeavstenator posted:

If this is something that you want me to be concerned about as a part of my job then I'm fine with that as long as it's clearly laid out as a part of the requirements and I'm getting paid for it.

yeah this exactly. if you really need someone to be responsive on the weekend, you need to pay someone to be on-call.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

except for computer workers, in which case the on-call is unpaid because there's a giant fuckin exemption in labor law

if my employer started demanding unpaid on-call i'd start finding a different job immediately

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qhat posted:

IMO that's super unprofessional and sounds like an outlier. My opinion is that the second the company speaks to you on the phone to say they're interested, they should have the courtesy to tell you when they're not interested and in good time.

I remember one time I had an in-person interview scheduled with a company and they then canceled it saying their office was going to be having some renovation done the day it had been scheduled, and specifically told me they'd call me back next week to reschedule. This was after two phone interviews - one with someone in their HR department and then one with their local guy - that both went really well in my opinion.

I called them back after the week had come and gone and the HR person I'd been talking to sounded really embarrassed when she told me they'd already interviewed and gone with someone else. I counted myself lucky at the time I hadn't gotten caught in that kind of shithole, although I wound up getting into a way crazier shithole a few months after that. oh well

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
just looked up in my old emails, the company's name was Ethology. they've since been bought by Tallwave.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i work at a place where it's not uncommon to run into people who have been here for 15 years or more. a few months ago we had someone retire who'd been working here for forty years. six months into my job my boss was basically asking me to think about whether i eventually want to do more network administration stuff or get into business analyst stuff, and it was definitely with the tone of "hey what would you like to be doing here 5-10 years from now"

i think it owns p. hard IMO and i'm glad i lucked into this place. probably helps that they sell actual physical things that provide useful functions to society.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stymie posted:

don't worry, eventually all the tech companies will adopt unlimited vacation policies and then you won't have to worry about your vacation time because it'll be de facto impossible to take time off

i fervently hope i never work for a "tech company"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FrozenVent posted:

lol @ anyone who budgets their bonus

"oh I'm gonna use my bonus to pay off xyz"

congrats idiot you just jinxed it, nobody gets bonuses this year

yeah wtf, didn't anyone watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation ???

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i think theoretically lastjob offered like 1 or 2% match (if the company was profitable) but i had absolutely zero faith in their ability to not gently caress it up and cost me money somehow

i mean the last few paychecks i got from them i literally drove to their bank and cashed them and then took the cash to my bank to deposit, because i didn't trust that they wouldn't bounce the checks

this place i'm taking full advantage of matching though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qhat posted:

Requiring references is so dumb. A lot of companies don't give them beyond confirming simply that you worked there, and it's not like someone's going to give you a reference that slates them, so what's the point?

it probably depends on the reference's relationship to you. like yeah if you can only scare up a co-worker and an acquaintance then what's the point, but having multiple previous managers say "yeah i worked with farmer crack-rear end at his last job, he owned the hell out of a fone upgrade project and also he knows basic manners and courtesy unlike a lot of other computer janitors" was probably points in my favor with my current boss.

edit: also being able to demonstrate by the answer that the reference actually knew/knows you and is willing and able to articulate more of a response than just "he's a cool dude, i guess. he didn't hit anybody that i saw."

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 10, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qhat posted:

the problem is that lack of references doesn't mean the candidate is bad or good, given that for many companies it's policy for their employees not to provide references. there's no reason to believe that that candidate is worse than another who can provide a reference, because at the end of the day they could've just lucked out with their company.

a company that actually forbids its employees to vouch for their reports and/or co-workers sounds like a poo poo place to me

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i enjoy interacting with other people in person at the office, so as long as i have an easy commute and i'm not stuck in some open-plan shithole i'm actually p. good with going to work most days

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

there are a fair number of people that keep east coast hours on the west coast

i did that for about half a year and it cold loving sucked. the only way i'd do it again is if i got paid some stupid amount of money that I'd spend a year or two socking away and then quit for something better.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

firms are prone to cut dead wood whether or not total payroll costs rise afterwards

every high-dollar 100%-remote do-nothing you cut is potentially two new headcount for your division!

why do they ever hire the high-dollar remote guys in the first place?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ShadowHawk posted:

I lead a major outage response for a week straight and a high level engineer emailed good job and then a vice president wrote "+100".

Now I have, like, 100 vice presidents worth of personal praise. Still waiting for an actual bonus or something though.

one of the execs at my job gave me a $150 gift card just for dropping everything and spending my evening driving a few hours out to a remote site to do an emergency hard drive swap (big computer controlled machine was down and impacting performance at the plant)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i hope you at least expensed the mileage you put on your car at the IRS rate

and had a nice expensed meal

i drove a company car b/c my car was in the shop, but yeah i always expense mileage whenever i drive for work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

did you tell him you want a real bonus instead of peanuts being tossed at you?

lol it's way more than what shadowhawk got for a week of busting his rear end

i'm not pitching a snit over not getting enough extra money, i knew that "we need someone to drive a couple hundred miles on short notice" was eventually going to happen when i took this job.

it's okay though because this job is generally low-pressure as gently caress. everyone's positive and pleasant to deal with. even the sales guys are chill. i'll take low stress and job security over higher pay any year.

• Locked thread