Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Zootopia is rocket raccoon's back story

Robin Hood and Nick are probably related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I still can't see the Cars 3 trailer without laughing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Well I've convinced my gf to see trolls with me, good work team

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Unmature posted:

No way any state in the middle of the country would pick Moana or Mulan

Hey now, nobody picked the middle eastern or black princesses, we still America

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Das Boo posted:

I have a friend desperately trying to get me to see that Last Airbender movie and I'm running out of excuses. She genuinely liked it.

Watch it and please take notes on the parts she liked

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Avshalom posted:

i am a wretched swine. i am nothing but a knave

I think you're alright

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

Just watched Finding Dory. It felt uneeded and somewhat like a souless attempt at hitting as many emotional moments as possible without ever earning them. Its also, except for the brief time in the ocean exhibit tank, not particularly visually striking.

Well Pixar I'm done.

Not gonna give Cars 3 a shot?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Tell me if I'm chewing wood into the wind here, but I'm still revisiting my childhood obsession with Angry Beavers for the 20th anniversary of the show, and I'm just now reading this interesting article about the show's decline: https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/nickelodeons-angry-beavers-nearly-ended-by-making-the-main-characters-realize-they-were-going-to-die-922

I found this bit, um, interesting:

I also found out that Nick Bakay (voice actor of Norbert, as well as Salem the cat on Sabrina the Teenage Witch) co-wrote both Paul Blart movies :shepface:

Bugs Bunny would be real disappointed I tell you what

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

This thread got weird real quick...

I mean, I like FMA and all but....

ANYWAY..

I heard that, in the last book of Captain Underpants, Harold Hutchins is revealed to be gay and his future self is married to a guy and has kids. This got the book banned in some schools. If this is true, I wonder if they'll hint at it in the movies considering the whole LeFou thing from Disney and...well, that's kind of all I can think of for recent movies where a character is gay and they kind of hint at it.

Also, on the topic of that movie, where can I buy ALL of the books for that series? Does Google Play have them all, if anyone knows? Amazon?

I'd say the physical copies would be nice, but I got a tablet I need to actually use and I also have no more space for physical books (except for my copy of Art of Zootopia...and maybe other "Art of" books...I'm sad I can't find a real one for Robin Hood that's not already on the Blu-Ray I own).

if you're not doing FLIP-O-RAMA with physical copies then what's the loving point

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Doing what?

That pun is so bad, it hurts.

jfc

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Suspect A posted:

Wow, I missed a ton of great films the past couple of years. Guess I'll marathon through a couple I've found. The Illusionist, The Painting, The Prophet, and April and the Extraordinary World.

Where's the cut of the Prophet that just straight up removes the framing device?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I saw The Last Airbender at its midnight release having never seen a single episode (with friends who are all super into it) and I just thought it was funny-bad. My gf convinced me to watch the series with her just a few months ago and we decided to watch the movie after season one. I thought it was still pretty funny! But also I'm sorry for y'all OG fans :(

Phylodox posted:

But the costumes and set design were good.

This is the part where someone posts Princess Dickhair

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also it gives Aang a bandana and that's an A+ look

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
What if we don't make tons of coy furry jokes all the time

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

dirksteadfast posted:

I don't know why, but for a split second there I was worried they were going to be trying to sneak the kid back to the world of the living (it's possible they still could, but it didn't look like it), and I do not want a million thinkpieces about Coco and the border wall.

...oh who am I kidding? They'll still write them regardless.

But really, who funded the door factory dividing our world and the monster world?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Trolls is thoroughly a'ight, but I prefer the trashier Strange Magic.

We only got through the first half hour last night but my gf and I dig Trolls. The scrapbook aesthetic kinda owns?? I'd love to see a feature in the same vein as Nintendo's Yarn and Paper games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
thank you animation thread for getting me to watch Trolls

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Thinking about the THIS SUMMER EVERYTHING CHANGES trailer for cars 3 still makes me giggle

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Yes

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I recognize that it's petty and stupid to drag this up but I kind of have a grudge over it. GBS is such absolute garbage and Hemingway cherry-picked posts to make the thread look much worse than it was and I'm still salty even though I haven't posted there in months, I guess.

it's

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

My birthday is next week and my present to myself is to watch lovely animated movies that I've never seen.

So far, my list is Thugaboo: A Miracle on D-Roc's Street and this Tom and Jerry Wonka movie.

Also, I'm gonna check out American Gods too so that I don't go completely insane.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Yeah do something nice for yourself instead!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You need to watch Belladonna of Sadness if you're into artsy animation. It's a very unpleasant movie, but I consider it absolutely essential at the same time.

:yeah:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

"The Emoji Movie is almost as bad and brutally depressing as everything else in 2017."

"Lacks humor, wit, ideas, visual style, compelling performances, a point of view or any other distinguishing characteristic that would make it anything but a complete waste of your time."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"Sony Pictures Animation’s big new blockbuster has represented something very positive since the start of this summer movie season: hope. Specifically, the hope that — for 90 beautiful minutes — Hollywood would spirit us away to a cinematic world that was somehow actually worse than real life. What a gift it would be in July 2017 to leave the multiplex and actually come up on our way back to reality, to feel the faint nausea of ascension for the first time all year and be reminded that it’s still possible for things to get better."

lmao drat

see, the emoji movie did manage to bring some joy to this transient world

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I watched Over The Garden Wall last week and it was fantastic. What a fun miniseries.

Heck yeah! And perfect for fall. That's a rock fact!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Coco was lovely but also to me just reaffirms that Pixar is never ever breaking out of their comfort zone

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It's probably hard to find showings but the Breadwinner is lovely if any of y'all get the chance

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Friend of mine is super pissed because Lego Batman didn't get a nod...and they completely snubbed Wonder Woman but let Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (which is a weaker movie in every way) get nominated.

Wonder Woman's visual effects were awful tho

But Ferdinand and Boss Baby getting noms is frustrating, yeah

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

jesus christ this is the strangest hill I've seen anyone choose to die on in a while

again: you do realize "Poopypants" is not a traditional name in any actual language or culture, right? it has literally no other meaning beyond being a poop joke. you are way, way, way, way overthinking a really dumb scatological joke.

It sounds like if the character had been American, you could've had the haha poop joke without the xenophobic subtext

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

dirksteadfast posted:

If any song should be cut it should be “Just Can’t Wait To Be King”. As catchy as it is I can’t imagine it working with the live-action aesthetic they’re going for.

Simba, to Zazu, without a hint of melody in his voice: "I just can't wait to be king :geno:"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

What's wrong with just "Wreck-it Ralph 2"??? Why some kind of fancy title! They're not gonna call Frozen 2 "Elsa Gets a Girlfriend"

In a just world

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Guys watch Breadwinner! Go go go!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
smh at anyone who reads this thread and isn't well acquainted with private browsing...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Have any of the Disney live action remakes failed to make more money than their animated counterparts?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you adjust for inflation, all of them except Beauty and the Beast I think. Of course, the other animated films came out during a time in which theatrical re-releases were common.

I'm suddenly filled with hope

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
John K sucks and has always sucked lock him in a flaming dumpster like the shitstain he is

in brighter news, I can confirm that this spoilery isle of dogs speculation:

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The little boy comes to the island looking for his dog "Spots". When he gets to the island he meets a dog called "Chief" and they start looking for "Spots". Expect "Chief" and "Spots" are actually the same dog, it's just that dirt is covering up "Spots" Spots and he's been there so long he's forgotten his own name. So the whole movie is about Chief unknowingly going on a journey to find himself.

is in fact not correct, though the movie plays around with it and has a really cute scene where Chief is like "what the..."

surprising no one, isle of dogs is gorgeous, though i feel it would have benefited if none of the human characters spoke english

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pick posted:

He’s not the villain, the short gross chef is,

I forgot all about that guy until specifically trying to remember lame Pixar villains

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

I followed mine but my dreams were to become wealthy and have titles and positions that allowed me to offload my day to day responsibilities to underlings. Im not really sure what i “do” but its nice.

Are you hiring?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

remember when Klasky Csupo did a Jumanji cartoon and had the guy who created Duckman do the character designs

That show was insanely ugly

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean... i kind of like the idea that lovely goon toy guy would have just gotten owned by the museum for bringing them a reissue Woody. it makes a nice monkey's-paw twist to the whole deal. :shrug:

lmbo if you think Big Al doesn't have the exact specs of a first run Sheriff Woody memorized forwards and backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nude posted:

Oh ya I really liked that as well. My favorite being the runner short. I would be totally down for more animated anthology/collage movies. The Prophet is interesting and one of the first time I seen a newgrounds-style collab done, like, in theaters. Here is a trailer for anyone who is a little curious, it does a good job just showing the variety of different animation styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF7ySPRzOaI

A version of the Prophet that edited out the framing device would be super dope, but as is the movie is merely dope