Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Think I just missed out on the discounted PS Plus here in Australia, any likelihood of a deal around Christmas or Boxing Day? I just paid for the one month for now - tbh I'll probably go back to mostly single player in Feb when work gets busier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

haveblue posted:

I attribute it to how claustrophobic the cockpits are, having a lot of your field of view occluded by static geometry helps offset the effect of the starfield wheeling around behind it. Also you usually have a target indicator to focus on that stays relatively stationary while you turn, again so you don't perceive so much of what the environment is doing.

Yes, I think it's this.

I have a pretty much cast-iron inner ear (growing up around boats and reading in the car) but I found the phone based ones I tried like Cardboard and Gear VR tended to cause motion sickness even in comparatively tame situations. I've been getting none with the PS VR in Squadrons, Beat Saber, or SuperHot, which I'd attribute to a combination of better hardware and devs having more experience designing around it.

We've got a PS VR thread here as well - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790293&pagenumber=331#lastpost

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Dpulex posted:

Anyone else think fallen order is supremely lovely? Aside from the poorly executed souls rip off combat system the sliding is tired as gently caress.

Never played a Souls game but I didn't find the combat to be particularly bad or anything. Enjoyed the immersiveness/atmosphere of the levels (first one in particular hooked me as "oh hey, an actual good SW game") but found them too long and just kinda ran outta steam.

Bought it on sale and had some good times with it so not really mad all in all.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I think a backwards compatible PS3 + PS5 would cover you for all Playstation games. I scored an earlier PS3 Slim (one of the last ones models that was jailbreakable with CFW) a month ago I've been meaning to downgrade/jailbreak so I can copy all of my discs to the hard drive, which will probably replace my Super Slim.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Vikar Jerome posted:

no cos some ps1 games dont work on the ps3 slim. think a mod chipped region free ps2 with a rad2x or other good scaler is better imo.

While that's true, you're then adding a third system in the mix (because neither PS4 or 5 can emulate the 3) for a couple outlier games.

I stand corrected on the Slim though - it was the original 20 and 60GB launch (phat) PS3s that had backwards compatibility - some of the Slims did PS2 through software but that gets stripped away by later firmware updates. The Phat's are also the ones that are most prone to overheating issues, so pick your poison I guess :v:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

BurningBeard posted:

Late merry Christmas goons.

I bought Celeste and my thumbs hurt but this is the best platformer I have played in years. It’s a powerful reminder of aging. I’m consistently amazed at taking one look at a room and going, “You want me to do what?” and then doing it. Fantastic design all around. Can’t believe I missed out on this when it came out.

Trying to decide on what to snag from the sale now. I have it narrowed down to a few if anyone has thoughts.

Kentucky Route Zero
Dragon’s Dogma
Nier Automata
Nioh 2
The Messenger
Blasphemous
Superhot
Tony Hawk 1/2 remaster

Goon opinions are gold. What should I buy?

I have only played Superhot on that list: I loved it on PC (with mouse +kb) even if it is a little bit up its own bum with the "story". It's more of a puzzle/strategy game with shooter mechanics than the other way around, which suits me as I'm not great at twitchy games. Throw on a playlist of classical music (or the original Matrix soundtrack) and go to town on red guys, heck yeah.

I picked up SuperHot VR this week and it is also a blast; felt maybe a little too short but still well worth it, especially on sale. Very immersive and satisfying, the minimalistic graphics pair well with the VR's somewhat limited capabilities.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Wolfsheim posted:

Also strongly considering getting Donut County to pair with Untitled Goose Game in my 'joke games I'll probably play for a few hours each' category

It'll probably only take you a few hours to get through Donut Country. It's a chill game that's hard to lose/get stuck on. Personally it was probably a 6.5/10 for me, but played it at the end of an extremely rough day to unwind and it was exactly what I needed.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does Battlefield 1 have a single player campaign and is it worth €6?

I bought it on Origin ages ago when it was on sale, and a mate in America wanted to play online so I linked it to Steam and fired it up.

Granted retreading the first couple Halo games from Master Chief Collection is the only real FPS experience I've had in a very long time, but I am getting absolutely stomped online. I'm guessing at this point it's mostly hardened veterans (also I'm not good at shooters). Still having fun with all the taking cover mechanics, hopping into random teammates vehicles, etc.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Escobarbarian posted:

I guarantee you it’s several hundred times more interesting and thoughtful than some dude whining about Naughty Dog gameplay

I made it 5 minutes into his Pac Man video before deciding that yep, this guy ain't for me.

Not opposed to the long format - I did watch a nearly four hour hour video on the Seattle Mariners this week, and I'm neither a baseball fan nor from the PNW.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

ShoogaSlim posted:

i almost forgot this thread was actually for talking about video games

i put a few hours into Outer Wilds last night after only playing it a tiny bit (just enough to get launch codes, really) when i first bought it a few months ago. it's really cool. but i also have thalassophobia so surprise landing on a planet and being immediately completely submerged gave me a mini heart attack lol

Try out Subnautica next

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

The Xbox thread is bad mainly because there’s absolutely no games on it to talk about whatsoever. Its topic of discussion for the last three days has been about batteries. I actually just unbookmarked it because I can’t think of a single game coming out that I’d want to play on Xbox. Switch thread is sour and dour at times but generally fine. At least there’s plenty of games on it to talk about.

Microsoft's "problem" is that they're not as precious about exclusives and happy to release stuff on Steam in a generally timely manner.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

fridge corn posted:

I think this is my biggest complaint after watching the first hour or so of the tokimeki review. I totally do not need to hear this dudes entire life story

Yeah, I had another go at Pac Mac this morning and no, he definitely does not respect the viewer's time at all.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

fridge corn posted:

This is totally misrepresenting the argument. The dude does have interesting and insightful things to say that many ppl would like to hear, however, and even despite breaking his videos up into chapters, you end up having to sit through a lot of fluff to get to the good parts.

I do want to hear about how the game was received in Japan and elsewhere at the time (that NYT article he found was interesting). I do want to hear how some big deal video game developers spent time developing similar games earlier in their careers. I DON'T want to hear how he once went to lunch with a girl he had a crush on in high school 20 years after the fact. Theres no toggle to turn off the irrelevant content

Yeah, this is what I meant (and my last post about him made that clear).

I am quite happy to listen to/watch long form documentaries on rather arcane subjects, and I don't even mind tangents! Robert Caro, probably my favourite non-fiction author, thinks nothing of stopping his biographies and devoting a long chapter (like an hour plus in an audiobook) to fill you in on relatively minor historical figures like Al Smith or Coke Stephenson, and it works because it's interesting, well-told, and relevant to the topic. The aforementioned nearly 4 hour series on the Mariners does the same, but again, it's either funny or it adds to the narrative. Tim Rogers rambles about his personal life at length, which IMO adds little to nothing to what I want to know about the topic. If you're interested in Tim Rogers, great! But it's dumb to act like not enjoying his videos means you have a short attention span or whatever.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Ordered a PS1 throwback skin for my PS4 Pro off AliExpress because it came with weird marks on the top, like mould had been growing there or something. Couldn't get the marks off with a good scrubbing so figured the skin was the way to, and black is kinda boring anyways.

I had ordered a Famicon one from another vendor for a scratched up WiiU last year that looked great, this one looks like blurry trash that came off someone's inkjet (so uh, definitely don't order from the link above). Not sure it'll even be passable from the couch but might as well give it a shot because lol at going to the hassle of returning it to China.

In conclusion, AliExpress is a land of contrasts. I look at it like gambling, never put in more than you'd care about losing :v:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Pakistani politics posted:

So this was cool!: I'm playing some MAME with my DS4s on my partner's new PC. Great right? I get an email on my phone that says, thanks for your purchase of this $34 Just Cause 4 DLC. Turns out the controllers were somehow still in communication with the playstation, and we basically butt-dialed our way into the most expensive dlc bullshit.

Sorry for your loss but this is hilarious.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I've got a wired AmazonBasics Xbone controller for my PC that feels a little cheap (not awful, just not as good as the genuine wireless one I have) but works well. I use that for Fall Guys mostly.

I've also got a Steam Controller which owns for playing menu driven games on the couch (Sunless Seas/Skies) as well as Rocket League - took a little getting used to for the latter but now I can't go back to a regular controller. I bought a second one when Steam was closing them out for $2.50 each or whatever because I want a backup in case my original one ever breaks.

Need to get around to figuring out a good button map for Crusader Kings sometime.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

BisterdDave posted:

I honestly have zero desire to get a PS5, and it's kind of liberating. Been diving into my backlog and checking out some games I've been wanting to play for awhile now. I don't think they've announced any games that will push me to be excited for PS5 either. Maybe once they announce Persona 6 in 2025.

I'm a cheapskate and don't really feel the need to play the latest and greatest... I'll probably wait until the PS6 is on the horizon before I even think about buying one.

The next installments of FF7 remaster are going to be PS5 exclusives though, aren't they? :smith:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Ugh. So I'm not big on racing games, but the PS4 Pro I bought came with a Logitech G29 wheel + pedals. I figured I'd sell it off to help defray some of the cost and come out with a pretty cheap Pro setup.

I wasn't getting any bites locally (likely because I didn't have the optional shifter), so when I saw a cheap shifter come up for sale (AU$30) I bought it to bundle with the wheel/pedals and hopefully move it along quickly. I booted up GT6 to confirm the shifter was working last night and damnit if it didn't actually make it kinda fun.

Kind of afraid to try Farpoint now, got the stupid gun accessory along with this thing that I was also planning to sell...

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I'd like to switch over to playing Rocket League on my PS4 Pro rather than my PC, but the lack of paddles on the back of the DS4 is a bit of a sticking point for me (spoiled by my Steam controller).

Anyone have experience with the Sony back button add-on, or any of the cheap Chinese ones? I've had a bit of an eye out for a Nacon secondhand locally but I don't want to spend a tonne of money on what's really just the minor convenience of not having to boot up Steam and connect my TV to the computer.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Oh yeah, what is that game exactly? I've heard people talk about it some and it seemed interesting.

I really like it - played it for the first time last year and it's a top five of all time for me now. On mobile so I'll spare you an essay:

* It's a survival crafting game, but not procedurally generated. So obviously smaller play area, but far more interesting/ beautiful to explore. It really captures a feeling of wonder for me, feels very Jacques Cousteau and SciFi at the same time.

*It does not reward combat, and you are not at the top of the food chain.

* Cool vehicles, each with their own sorta "personality"/uses

* Serviceable plot with silent protagonist. The lategame can be quite buggy, especially with one vehicle (the one best suited for it)

It apparently controls like arse in VR, but still salty the PS4 version doesn't have a VR mode as my PC is not VR capable.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Rather than try any of my many new games (SOTC, FF7R, Farpoint, all the new VR titles that were recently given away) I have instead opted to replay Subnautica for the third time now that I have it on console.

Just as enjoyable as I remember it but playing with a controller feels like wearing oven mitts compared to M+KB :smith:

edit: switched to the Nacon controller and it's a lot better - not sure if it's the offset sticks or just general quality.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 2, 2021

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I think I killed it. Are there any 3rd party wireless controllers of reasonable build quality, preferably, as a matter of principal, ones that aren't grossly overengineered on the inside? (I know, I know, ask a stupid question, but a man can dream).

Can't speak to the innards, but I picked up a wireless Nacon (I think an earlier one, has no back paddles) and it's great. I'm not sure if it's the offset sticks or what, but it is light years better for looking around/movement in Subnautica than the standard DS4.

The downside to any third party controller is that IIRC Sony prohibits any manufacturer from allowing their controllers to wake the PS4 from sleep. So when I want to turn my PS4 on from the couch, I hit the PS button on my DS4 (kept on the table for pretty much solely this reason), hit the one on my Nacon, pick the DS4 back up and hit X, do the same with the Nacon.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Do Move controllers only charge off a Playstation or something? I hooked my pair up to a new 6 port USB charging hub I bought and they don't appear to have charged at all, whereas all the other devices I have plugged into it charged with no issues. I plugged them in to my PS4 using the exact same cables and now they're charging. :iiam:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Are they the older PS3 models?

Yeah, I assume so - didn't realise there was a difference!

lunar detritus posted:

I had the same problem so, yes. Or at least they are incredibly finicky.

Ugh, how stupid. Half the reason I splurged on this dumb hub was to free up USB slots on my consoles!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Blind Rasputin posted:

It took me a long time but I found the parts for the moon bay and the cyclops. Is the cyclops worth it? That’s a lot of parts. Game is real good and my base is super cool so I’ll probably build it anyways. I’m so glad the base pieces have those big long leg pylons holding them up, and they don’t just float in place. Makes it all seem much more legit.

According to the database entry, it's designed to be operated by a crew of three. Piloting it definitely feels like that, players seem somewhat split on whether that makes it "immersively annoying" or "annoyingly immersive".

Personally I'm Team Cyclops, love that big unwieldy boi.

univbee posted:

Wait they made microUSB-charging Move controllers?

Whoa, that was my reaction as well. I'd love to have them with micro-USB as I have all my other controllers (except the PS3 ones...) using those magnetic charging cables which are awesome.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I have the old ones (with the mini-USB, not the micro-USB revision they did later) and they charge just fine from a charging station I bought (this one specifically, but it's no longer manufactured). It doesn't use the USB port, though, it uses the little metal connectors on the bottom.

Apart from the insanely garish LEDs on the front (covered them up with painted packing tape in the end) it was pretty good. Came with an adapter to plug into the wall instead of the playstation, and also charges faster that way it seems. I'm sure there's something similar on the market. I think I paid £15 for this thing.

I have one that's a combination Move + Nav controller charger, but it uses the mini-USB and doesn't seem to work. I'll have to keep an eye out for one that uses the charging pins though, would also be less fiddly to dock.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I am loving seeing people discover Subnautica for the first time (like me last year). Below Zero, the sequel, is in early access on Steam and it's basically done aside from the ending.

Hopper posted:

My bases are rather small, I have them at the edge of the drop to mushroom caves, at the cannon Island and one single multipurpose room with power cell charger at the sea treader's meadow the former 2 are solar powered and the latter has a bioreactor for obvious reasons.

I am not a fan of survival games normally but this one is a fresh breath because it has no zombies and doesn't force you to fight if you don't want to. At least not so far.

You basically can't fight* - there's a good YT vid from the developer where they talk about the design ethos (it was created in the wake of Sandy Hook).

*you can, but it's not rewarded. Although you can basically tank your way through the ghost leviathan with the prawn suit + drill arm in the Lost River if you want to. I *strongly* suggest not reading this spoiler as it takes a lot of the fun and tension out of the mid/late game.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I am getting pretty addicted to building an underwater base here. I’ve built up my infrastructure enough to have the ultra high cap tank, ultra fins, 6 extra power cells and 3 power cell chargers for them in my base. So the cyclops can always run. I haven’t built a prawn yet. I found the plans for the observatory and multifunction house and whoa is the voice acting good in this! The Scottish family was really cool (and tragic).

My biggest problem right now is I keep getting these radio messages about a life pod in some general vicinity of somewhere and for the life of me I can’t find it worth poo poo.

You can "upcycle" dead batteries into fully charged power cells (2 dead batteries + 1 silicone rubber = 1 fully charged power cell) so the battery charger is IMO the bigger pickup, but yeah it's nice to have both.

The Cyclops is a bit of a battery hog but once you get the thermal plant it becomes a non-issue. In my initial expedition down below, I brilliantly brought one less kyanite back than I needed to make it, so the Cyclop's maiden expedition to the hot place is going to have a note of urgency to it.

Speaking of which: I got precariously close to what might have been a "gameover" was down in the lava zone with prawn suit, couldn't find my way out and died of hunger/thirst. I had built a small base overlooking the giant cove tree so respawned there, and was only just barely able to get back to the prawn as my O2 failed. If I hadn't been able to recover the prawn, I couldn't have made it back out of the Lost River, so would have been stuck there.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

credburn posted:

What is annoying me now is I'm at the segment where you're riding on the back of the bike, and he's just gripping the bars by his butt instead of putting his arms around the pilot. They're driving on some really rough terrain and going fast and taking fast turns. It looks goofy as hell seeing him just sitting so rigid. Are modern bikers afraid to touch one another? The folks I grew up with weren't always what one would call progressive, but they never were so homophobic that they wouldn't ride with each other, put their hands on each other for support.

Maybe been a while since you rode as a passenger, but it feels a lot more stable to grab a rigid luggage rack than it does a person not actually connected to the bike. I learned to ride in Southeast Asia and that's how locals do it if they need to (most don't, you get your "sea legs" and realise you seldom need to hold on to anything as a passenger).

As a rider, I'd tell new passengers the same, but women usually chose to hold onto me anyways :3:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Blind Rasputin posted:

Awesome job Fridge Corn! I knew you were taking it slow, I’m sure in some ways that helped and in others made it frustrating and irritating after the nth fail. loving rock dude.

Also, thread friends, Subnautica did NOT disappoint. I’m basically at the end. What an amazing blend of really well written sci fi story told through uncovering long lost stuff and environmental exploration mixed with just a perfectly done setting. I felt, like really felt, underwater all the drat time. And going way deep gets way loving hairy. I also think it has just the right amount of crafting. Never absurd, hardly a laundry list of stuff to build at all. Also the most minimal resource collection requirements ever. Like, I did the bare minimum of collecting each thing and am still covered up in supplies. It’s nuts how fast you can farm an entire locker full of titanium if you want to. They did it right where too many others do it so drat wrong. The concise upgrade paths meant I was basically an underwater Olympian after two hours of play time, and at this point I’m the like God of saturation diving. And speaking of diving, I honestly could not believe my loving mind with how deep and how far you actually go, either. The journey there felt harrowing and took a long time. The journey back was (I wasn’t even sure I was going to make it all the way back in one piece) such a great mix of apprehension and excitement to finally be leaving the darkness. Seeing the surface again, after being... down there.. for such a very long time, that felt completely awesome.

I haven’t totally finished it yet. I cured the virus and just built the ship. I need to go turn off the security and I guess leave? Man, the leviathan end was really touching, totally unexpected that that’s what was doing all the talking. And those kid leviathans cumming in the water to heal the planet was beautiful!.

I sat on this game so drat long and now I kind of hate myself for it. It’s such a perfect production I am really amazed at what that little studio put together there. There’s been massive game productions this past year that simply pale in comparison to how good this is in terms of quality, story, thoughtfulness of design, and world building. Thank you for recommending it and help with getting started!

That's awesome :3:

Below Zero's final release should be out soon to scratch that itch again!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

a dark future where games have been devalued and nobody can get distribution deals... Mann Gaemur must trek across the american wasteland, collecting the most valuable asset on the planet.... CMOS batteries

Well played.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

I didn't watch the whole thing but iic the PS5 shell is pretty easy to remove. Is it strong enough to hold the thing to the wall?

Once you remove it, you can build a brass shell to replace it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I decided to pick up FF7 Remake for the first time last night and found myself sucked in for a few hours. Overall I'd say it does a good job of straddling nostalgia while being its own thing. A little disappointed that I assume I'm not going to be able to play the rest of it until I get a PS5

I lol'd at Badger from Breaking Bad turning up as Wedge at the start of the game. I had a look at the IMBD to confirm it and also found out I definitely would not have picked John DiMaggio as Heidegger.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

If PDX becomes too inhospitable to live in the next 2 decades then I'd prolly move to Detroit, but holy poo poo even Michigan is going to experience insane climate shift int he next few decades.

Some predict that Michigan will be where the new wine industry ends up, that is if we don't completely ruin the entire possibility of functional agriculture on this continent very soon, which is more than likely when looking at the state of the topsoil.

mods please rename me "detroit terroir" tia

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Is there an FF7R thread anywhere? I know, a bit late to the party...

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Thanks!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

How does running games off a 1TB external HDD compare to the stock internal HDD (which I understand is a crappy budget model)? I'm finding it pretty annoying to have to keep deleting stuff whenever I get a new game, not to mention how long it takes to re-download/re-install one if I decide I want to play it later.

In other news, looking forward to finally playing RDR2 soon.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I’ll put it this way, it would be very hard to get a drive SLOWER than the internal HDD so as long as you get a decent brand, you definitely won’t notice any slower speeds. You could use an external SSD but for PS4, you’d be better off just buying a larger HDD with the same money.

Yeah, that's what it seemed like, and I guess USB 3 is fast enough it doesn't really matter internal vs external.

If money were no object I'd much rather upgrade the internal drive to a larger one and not have Yet Another Thing Plugged In on my TV unit... but that'd be basically doubling the cost of my secondhand Pro and there's no way I'd pay that much for such a minor QoL thing.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Inspector Hound posted:

I got someone's spare VR headset a while ago and it's just sort of sat on my shelf. Lately I've been playing around with it, and it's pretty sweet if you have a setup where you can easily just put it away and move the camera without too much hassle. Movies are cast onto a huge screen that fills your view while a giant thing sits on your head, VR games are immersive to the point of being disorienting, in a good way, while a giant thing sits on your head, honestly once you get used to the thing on your head and finding your controller without looking it's very cool. Hard to scratch your nose while it's all happening. I drive a Civic, and they have the new Type-R Civic in Gran Turismo so that was obviously the first order of business. I liked looking around at all the buttons I recognized on the dashboard. You can check your blind spots and mirrors, even look over your shoulder. For bonus immersion, imagine the giant thing on your head is your cool pro racing helmet.

The first thing I tried with my PSVR was Gran Turismo. I picked the Miata so I could see how high I could stick my head up before the display blacked out (reasonably high, all things considered).

Inspector Hound posted:

and looking down at yourself wearing a fire suit but feeling the controller in your hands is bizarre. The TV will also display the same thing as your headset, so everyone can watch. It's probably personal preference whether it improves normal games or not, the screen it presents you with is pretty big. I managed to get a kill in Battlefield, but it's good there's an option to make the virtual screen smaller.

My PS4 also came with the Logitech wheel but all I had to clamp it to was my cat tower, which made for a rather disorienting experience with the shifter. I sold the wheel because I've never been into racing games (and don't really have room in my apartment for the setup) but if at least one of those factors was a bit different I'd have definitely kept it, made for a really cool experience.

I did buy a HOTAS controller for SW:Squadrons but never really got the hang of it - never used one before so figuring out where the myriad buttons are mapped to required being able to see the labels on the controller, which I couldn't do with the VR set on... just trying to flounder through the missions until I learned wasn't very successful/fun either. I have been meaning to play a few hours on the TV to set the muscle memory up then switch to VR, but haven't gotten around to it.

It's a little disorienting flying the TIE because you're looking at your hands on a control yoke rather than a stick and throttle, but the X-Wing feels right at home. Being able to turn your head to look out the side of the cockpit and see your s-foils lock into attack position at the start of an Alliance mission is a very :krad: moment.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I'm having a hard time finding a straight answer online: what happens if you move to a different region as far as access to your PS+ account? I'm trying to weigh up what I should do in the future when I move from Australia to the US for a couple of years.

I understand that you can't switch the region of your account (this apparently has to do with licensing, etc).

Could I buy a PS4 or PS5 in the US and log in with my Australian account, and continue to buy stuff from the Australian store? Or would it block me due to coming from a US-region PS4?

Would bringing my Australian PS4 over help get around this, or would I still be blocked on the basis of my US IP?

Not really keen to start over with a US account; not that I've got many achievements/trophies or whatever, but I would rather not lose access to the year's worth of PS+ games on that account, and the handful of titles I've bought digitally. Fortunately I own physical copies of pretty much all of the games I play regularly, which I understand should play OK (less DLC, maybe?) in a PS4 from a different region.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

goblin week posted:

At some point you're going to be locked out on the basis of your debit card, rather than any specific region!

Fortunately it's only for around two years; I'm planning on maintaining my Australian bank account and keeping the bulk of my cash here (unless this somehow keeps me an Australian tax resident or something), so I should still have access to an Australian source of funding while I'm in the States. Out of curiousity, would it not let me add a US credit card to an Australian account?

goblin week posted:

The consoles aren't region locked but everything that's touching money is.

For example you won't be able to buy US DLC for your australian physical copies

I'd still be able to buy it through the Australian store on my Australian PSN account though, even if I'm in the USA/on a US model PS4?

I guess it would rule out buying US physical copies if I wanted any DLC, although tbh there are only a handful of games I'm interested in playing I don't already have.*

*I'm both kinda picky and have a decent backlog with not a lot of time to get through it right now.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Thanks for all that, folks!

I'll probably bring my games sans cases and Nacon controller but not the console in that case*. Had forgotten about gift cards, that's another good option.

*Hopefully I can find somewhere to store some of my stuff, have built up a nice little assortment of controllers/accessories and would be nice to be able to come back to everything.