Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
My entire downstairs is walled in OSB. The back wall is a mosaic of large fake rocks with a huge mirror on one half. It would describe it as "Dungeonesque."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Bright white or I start cutting joists.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can poop in the sink if you have a garbage disposal

A garbage disposal or dedication, tenacity, and a can-do attitude.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Bathrooms by Lego?

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

IMO stone is fine, it's just the middle class default rather than an upper class luxury now.

In the long long ago most average people had plain hardwood floors. Dirt floors were for poor people, softwood gets all marked up, tile was expensive and slippery, and woven carpeting was mostly confined to area rugs due to cost. So, hardwood was the middle class option.

Then in the post WWII period machine made tufted carpeting burst onto the scene in vibrant colors. Nylon was replacing wool. It was now in reach for a successful middle class family to have wall-to-wall carpet. :wow: You've made it. The Joneses are keeping up with you! Wall-to-wall carpet in the bathroom? Hell, yeah!

Through the 60s and 70s carpeting just kept getting cheaper. A couple guys can roll out carpet and lino for a whole house in just a day or two. At the same time, labor intensive hardwood was becoming more expensive, By the 80's even cheap apartments had wall-to-wall carpeting.

Now you get people in old houses are tearing up their carpeting and lino to find the hardwood underneath and try to save it. Original hardwood floors have become a sign of class and luxury, not a sign of poverty.

Same thing with stone countertops. In the 80s it was hella expensive. Over time more places are producing it, overseas shipping in general has become cheaper, and there are even engineered stone options. Any color or texture you want. Still more expensive than laminate, but not a luxury good. You no longer get bragging rights from stone countertops, but it's nothing to be embarrassed by, and probably won't be in the foreseeable future. It's just . . . normal.

Oh, whew. We're doing a tip-to-toenails kitchen renovation in a few months. I'll probably pop in here asking for suggestions that meld good sense with what we like. But I definitely like the look of stone countertops. My mom has laminate that looks like stone and I can already see the edges and where it's wearing and peeling after only a few years.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Haifisch posted:

After dealing with the horrors of apartment kitchens, I think designers should be forced to cook(properly cook, not just assemble a bunch of pre-made stuff) in the layout of their choice & see if it's actually workable before they're allowed to build it.

I want more counter space, dammit! I don't care if you have to shrink the dining room to do it! :argh:

We're just about to nail down our last estimate for a full kitchen remodel and you bet your sweet bippy I'll be in here asking for advice. I assume that's kosher?

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Finally took some pictures. Here's what our kitchen looks like now, with a picture of the dining room (that does get regular use, thankyouverymuch)

We've got two different possible floor plans. In one, we take that lovely half wall and make it a full counter peninsula with stools looking into the kitchen, plus a 48" island in the middle. The other is to knock out that wall entirely and build a larger island that extends all the way to the edge of the dining room, with stools on the slider side.

That second design has been fleshed out a lot more. The sink and dishwasher would be in the island, and the oven would move to the center of the long counter wall. Fridge stays where it is and the pantry stays as well. We use it 100%. We're also doing all new cabinets, counters, floor, and lighting.

Color wish, we're looking at a medium cherry for the cabinets, a medium/dark green granite for the countertops, and not sure on floors other than tile. Also undecided on backsplash and paint colors.

We do cook a lot, so I want it to be functional as well as nice looking. We plan to be here for another 30 years if not until we die or absolutely have to sell, so this is for us and not selling.

Does all this sounds sane?

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

elise the great posted:

Do you see anything... strange about this listing?

Seriously the first few pics are bland as hell, then you see the interior and it's just unsettling. And then you start to see... those. It's an entire horror movie in a slideshow format on a real estate site. The loving trike, okay

I stopped halfway through because I instantly convinced myself that, if I clicked all the way to the end, I would be the victim of a terrible curse.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
So if granite/stone countertops are a fad and awful, what's the SA Thread Approved(tm) kitchen counter material?

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Haifisch posted:

The hopes and dreams of millenials.

I tried, but they only come pre-crushed.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

tag urself im the flame-emblazoned guy fieri-rear end ceiling fan

I'm the strangely wide looking toilet paper roll.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Ouhei posted:

Wide angle lenses do hilarious things to close up objects on the edge of the frame.

I'm going to continue believing in king-sized toilet paper and you can't stop me.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have spent exact zero hours the past two years sweeping or vacuuming, and my floors are spotless every day. If I did the same thing by hand it would cost me about 120 hours a year. Pricing it out, Roomba "sells" me free time for about $1 per hour, cheaper as time goes on.

About once a month Roomba shuts itself in the bathroom or something, but I just hit the dock button when I find it and it drives back home.

It's beneficial enough that I've made thousands of dollars of furniture purchases based on whether or not Roomba can navigate the geometry. Plus I get to sit in my chair on the weekend and watch Roomba clean around me, like some sort of feudal British lord.

Roomba. Not a Roomba or the Roomba. Just Roomba.

What have I told you about anthropomorphizing appliances heralding the robot apocalypse?

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

i THINK i'm the empty light sockets but there's just so many choices

I'm the complete disdain for euclidean space.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

elise the great posted:

I, too, enjoy unremitting lidless eye contact with thirty of myself while taking a poo poo.

Take care when making GBS threads in the void, that the void does not poo poo in you.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
My life is a series of hoods that vent right back into the kitchen.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
I only saw the top bit at first, and thought, "Oh, that's an odd way to accent a wall." Then I scrolled down.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Yo, is it just me or did they put the padding on the warming tray of the oven, too?

I see it too. So either none of us are mad or all of us are mad.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Those weren't there when the photos were taken. :ghost:

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, boy and girls of all ages, the color of 2018 has been announced. Hold onto your butts, because the year of our lord 2018 shall be colored...................

ULTRA VIOLET!

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

there wolf posted:

Second going a little darker, but otherwise it looks good. Sounds like you're well into choice-overwhlem, so if your wife likes it and you don't hate then just go with it. The better choice isn't out there.

And not in the "Yes dear" way. There are plenty of times my wife has loved something and I've been okay with it, and vice versa, and we went with that. There's no perfect combo, 'good' should be good enough.

YamiNoSenshi fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 23, 2018

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
The McMansion of Mad King Ludwig.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
We just finished a kitchen remodel that put a massive island in. fite me irl.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

hailthefish posted:

Um it's clearly the deformed, screaming face of a tormented soul.

Fireplace, waterfall, cat nook, lizard enclosure. I think it can be all that and more. But mostly the tormented soul thing.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

Jesus Christ, at least build a bookcase in front of the door so you can hide someone in it if the need arises.

Do I have to think of everything?

It's where he keeps his amontillado. Want to go see?

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Tag yourself, I'm the part where he says the bathroom will be "perfect for women" and then hysterically backpedals the second he's corrected by actual women about having preferred the original bathroom.

No, no, not women.

Females

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/davidcrespo/status/1090436536754147328

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2900-W-Logan-Blvd-203-Chicago-IL-60647/2086359811_zpid/?fullpage=true

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

there wolf posted:

You wouldn't end up using all that kitchen either, even if you cooked a lot. You'd prep on counter to the left of the stove, maybe put dirty dishes in/around the sink, and the rest would just sit empty. Serious question, has anyone ever used a breakfast bar? Like if you had a choice between a table, a couch, or the bar do you ever pick the bar?

You mean the designated stay out of my way but still be in the kitchen so we can talk while I cook stools? Yeah, we use those quite a bit.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

I just realised that this bathroom looks like something made in an AXE product line factory.

Shower tool is right.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I was in Argentina over the summer and all the showers had a shitload of heads, it was weird as hell and the water pressure was terrible:

Wasn't that shower the B plot in a Discworld novel?

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

mundane haircut posted:

Anyone else have this bathroom as their look when they were teenagers in the mid 2000's? I totally had red and black bands on my braces for that :krad: scenekid vibe.

Red text on a black background was my everything for those years.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

sneakyfrog posted:

basic builder grade bitches up in this thread, we have seen magnificence and simply cant comprehend its majesty

The Emperor's New Bathroom

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

luxury handset posted:

"behind one of these doors is a deadly pit of vipers. behind the other is the guest bathroom. you must answer a riddle to determine the true path"

post the vipers, coward.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

This room is so loving ugly I feel the primal urge to seize a pitchfork and a flaming torch and go terrorize this neighbor. Every time I look at this picture I see some new monstrous element that pours fuel on my fire.

Something about the color choice and the fact that it's on the ceiling makes it seem incredibly oppressive. That's gotta feel like a cave a night.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Oh hey my grandparents had that chandelier.

Did they also have the unending screams of the tortured souls trapped within?

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Sirotan posted:

And yeah looking at the full size image, its definitely some kind of handmade clay tiles with 964583043 tiny crevices in them.

First time you cut your finger over that it's going to summon an elder god.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

I'm 50 pictures of grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Wait, are there only hard plastic bench seats facing the screen?