Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I thought that too, and then the Post dropped another big one last night.

Jesus, I somehow missed that the Post dropped something else. I guess it got lost in the bombing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Really? Trump may launch a strike on North Korea? If that happens. what then?

A horrifying human atrocity but probably not the end of mankind.

It's also not going to happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol if you think this is the CBO scoring Ryan or McConnell want.

If it can pass reconciliation it is, isn't it? I mean they can't actually claim they care about the impact when they rushed to beat the CBO score.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Realize they had to have the house pass a bill that will raise premiums, cut off insurance for 50+ million and give massive tax breaks to the wealthy, just to have the senate replace the entire bill anew. All those town halls and any blowback they get over this (and there will be tons because healthcare matters to individuals) will be for a loving nothing bill.

You're missing the forest for the trees. It doesn't matter if their base keeps listening to Rush, the fact the CBO scoring is so bad for a pointless bill hurts them with their reluctant and moderate voters.

The Republicans have tricked you into seeing incompetence as wisdom by beating expectations. The idea the House bill would fail the CBO reconciliation limit assumes Ryan's team majorly hosed up on their math.

Instead, they didn't gently caress up their math, they just made the house pass a pointlessly ghoulish bill to try and appease a right wing that can't be appeased.

The GOP doesn't have reluctant and moderate voters. They literally do not care about anyone else but themselves. The trick is convincing them that this hurts them and not minorities and that would involve them listening to non-Drudgeland arguments.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

...the fox news demographic would have their insurance go up by $10k a year. that's a problem

The fox news demographic accepting that is the GOP's fault is going to involve making them listen to the fact that it's the GOP and not Democrats Ruining Our Bill. If they force the 'first part' through they can just blame the Democrats for things getting worse. (This is obviously nonsense bullshit but so is everything the GOP says and it keeps working.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait, what?

Are you serious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was about to say, I didn't understand what point he was making.

:smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Not everyone who votes Republican is a Drudge reader and Nazi lover.

The former maybe but the latter absolutely. Donald Trump said literally everything he was going to do. They voted for him anyway. There is absolutely no case to be made for it. The most positive reading is "they assumed he was lying" which means they voted for someone they thought was lying about doing terrible things and assumed the risk that he'd do them was worth it. Even if they don't support him now they did when it mattered and only changed their mind because it hurt them personally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Or instead of going "I love nazis" they could be ignorant and desperate and think things like "Democrats are coming for my guns" or "American Healthcare sucks and Trump wants to change it" or "He's bringing the factories back!!!" etc etc etc.

You're assuming the barriers to information are lower for everyone than they actually are. While it easy for you or I to figure out the truth behind "Will Trump bring back the factories?" that's not true for most Americans.

Ignorance and desperation isn't a defense and it needs to stop being an excuse. The same wouldn't be accepted in the opposite direction. It can explain things but it isn't an excuse and shouldn't be apologized for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

You're making the exact same "just world" style argument conservatives make. Maybe people are ignorant and desperate for reasons outside their control?

No I'm not. I'm saying they are grown adults who are making decisions. They need to be treated like adults and not like children. The constant desperation to treat rural Americans (and ONLY rural Americans) as these poor snowflakes who are just so left behind and deserve the lightest of feather touches makes no sense. Their suffering deserves to be understood but it doesn't excuse them taking that suffering and using it as a barrier against criticism.

Trabisnikof posted:

Regardless, I don't really give a flying gently caress about excuses or whatever, the entire point is that they're not ideologically "nazi lovers" if they're voting out of ignorance or desperation.

People who supported the Nazis didn't do it because they were cackling cartoon super-villains. (For the most part.) Desperation and ignorance and fear played into that as well. It doesn't change what they supported. They are absolutely ideologically Nazi lovers for the same reason. They want what it's offering, or enough of it that they're willing to look over people being hosed if they get it. (And of course the great irony and tragedy is they won't even get it.)

Trabisnikof posted:

Those ignorant voters can be wedged from the ideological Nazis by trying to educate them. Those desperate voters can be wedged from the ideological Nazis by trying to offer them better options. Things that drive down turnout from potential Republican voters help Democratic election chances and it is worth wedging as many of the non-Nazis as we can every time the Republicans do Nazi poo poo.

How do you offer them education and better opinions if they have no access to it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

That's all you're going to find in the head of a trump voter or republican in general. They are just animal they are not human. Do not expect anything related to empathy from them. Empathy comes from humans. Cruelty comes from Republicans.

I genuinely can't tell if you're trolling or insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is bullshit.

A GOP politician who physically assaulted a reporter on the eve of the election while simultaneously working to take healthcare away from his voters is going to win an election tomorrow. It absolutely isn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

It doesn't matter one way or the other because a Republican in a heavily conservative district is actually having to fight, and if he wins it's going to be relatively narrow

Thus why it's half and not the entire country.

It doesn't change the fact that he is going to win and "close" doesn't matter in the slightest when a candidate who physically assaulted someone on the eve of the election can't lose an election.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quist is not going to win but it will be hilarious if his opponent gets arrested right afterwards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Ok so - you don't loving know, you're basing it on nothing

It's clearly up in the air and your confidence is moronic even if Quist loses

I know because it's an insanely absurdly safe Republican district where the news is about how it's close but Quist has never been ahead at any point. Our President was caught discussing sexual assault shortly before the election and had a number of women come out to claim they assaulted him and still won and he was facing longer odds than this. Republicans do not care. They might care about the AHCA thing but enough to turn a safe district into a D win is unlikely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

All the data we have about the unpredictability of special elections? Ha! No, not a thing. I know what will happen because I, forums poster, have special knowledge

You leap onto the smallest bit of optimism and stretch it to "but you don't KNOW it can't happen!!" and then get pissy and upset when people don't agree with your wild hope. It'll be nice if it happens but your utter confidence he's going to win is far less justified.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

....I don't have confidence, you giant moron. My entire point is that this is still up in the air. One of us is "Hillary can't possibly lose" in this argument, and it isn't me.

You're having a freakout because I said he isn't going to win. So, yeah, it's entirely you.

Rigel posted:

They went from "after a long, hard struggle we fought our way up to being a slight underdog, we just might win this thing, but it'll be close" to "holy loving poo poo..... uhhh.... we just need to not gently caress up for 24 hours and its over!"

Quist will probably be safer and more scripted than ever in the final day.

Honestly he shouldn't be scripted. He needs to go all-out and burn hard. Pushing people to want to vote FOR him is the hill to overcome since his opponent has the 'vote against me' thing wrapped up tight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Uh duhhhh durrrrrr duhhhhhhh

I am so calm and therefore smart

No, I'm just tired of you freaking out the second anyone doesn't leap into your "everything is great and it's all going to be great and just be hopeful' hugparty, where any time I post something remotely negative in this thread you come at me like a frigging rabid honey badger.

Buca di Bepis posted:

gently caress off, your white noise posting is repetitive and awful

So report me and move on. v:shobon:v

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

So you can't read while you post the same garbage again and again.

If you can explain how I'm saying everything is rosy, I'd love to see it.

Mysteriously I make a bunch of posts in this and the previous thread where I don't have you leaping at me out of nowhere. You only do it when I post something negative at which point you start screaming about how it's all I post. I'm certain that's a coincidence.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

Dem turnout will be boosted by the win regardless, in fact maybe more. This gives a wildcard factor to pretty much any election - you never know, the republican might suddenly commit a felony right before the election, show up and loving vote.

The sad thing is that especially with the current state of the Republican party this isn't even a joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

Dollars to donuts this person is a lifelong Republican who's never pulled the lever for anyone except the guy with the R next to his name.

These people are beyond hope and are unreachable. It's the ones with a shred of decorum and common sense who will recoil in horror at this story, and they're the ones it'll affect.

"Decorum and common sense but also voted for Donald Trump" feels like a group that can't be very large.

Edit: That doesn't rule out "People who didn't vote but want to vote against the crazy bodyslam guy" though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

I mean there was a literal civil war 150 years ago and we aren't there yet

Saying we recovered from the civil was is pretty optimistic. We're still fighting people who fly the confederate flag.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Z. Autobahn posted:

No, I know, I'm not trying to say "both sides are equally bad", obviously Republicans are vastly worse. I'm just saying, I see some posturing like "how could ANYONE vote for a candidate who assaults a reporter, our nation is DOOMED" when most of us would still pull the lever for a D who did the same. It speaks more to me about how insanely divided the two parties are, and how incredibly hard it would be to get someone who's politically passionate to change their mind.

If a Democratic candidate chokeslammed a reporter who was asking them about taking health care from 20 million people I would not vote for them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Double post?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Cool. Now to wait for someone here to tell us why this is a bad thing.

Well, I wasn't going to say it but "In a 5-4 decision, thanks to Supreme Court Justice Gorsuch..."

(It's a good thing but let's keep in mind there's more to go.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinteres posted:

One thing about Trump is that he doesn't give a poo poo how obvious his lies are, he's going to tell them anyway.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/867801970094034944

It is remarkable how Trump seems to think everyone in the world has no memory.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

America the blindfolded princess.

According to the writer Buttercup is pretty and everyone tells her she's exceptional but she's actually kind of dumb and self-absorbed and constantly fucks up. So, yeah, pretty much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Jesus yall, did no one live through the early 00's? We had these same exact conversations about Bush Jr. The suspension of elections, the slow downturn into dementia (heres a YouTube video of campaign speeches vs Press conferences where he says Uh a whole lot and has a bunch of brainfarts, clearly mental health issues). Trump is a big dumb dumb who will lead an ineffectual Presidency until he gets replaced in 2020

Are you genuinel claiming that Bush Jr was ineffectual and not caused horrifying long-lasting damage and lead to ridiculous deaths?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

androo posted:

FYI candidate Zuckerberg isn't gonna be a thing because he's wildly uncharismatic and billions of dollars doesn't seem to be helping with that. Stop talking about candidate Zuck like that poo poo is happening.

Seriously I watched a random 30 seconds of that speech and he's hilariously awkward. Jesse Eisenberg Zuck could maybe pull it off, but real-life Zuck is like a pale thumb with wet eyes that looks constantly scared.

On the other hand Donald Trump is president.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Timby posted:

I'm seeing some articles reporting that Conway is saying Trump is considering using executive privilege to block Comey's testimony. :munch:

At what point do you get actual riots?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

If Trump finds out he can use executive privilege to stop Comey testifying, he will absolutely try it. It'll piss off Congress something fierce, but I fully expect John McCain to just be "deeply disturbed" or "very troubled" or whatever the hell he is these days.

"John McCain spends every single moment of his life thinking about the fact that Donald Trump is more electable than he is."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

lol if he obstructs justice to prevent testimony that said he obstructed justice

The thing I think would be even more amazing is if he obstructed justice to prevent testimoney that said he didn't actually obstruct justice but he's panicking because he thinks it does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skex posted:

I find the whole concept of Alpha/beta when it comes to human social structures to be silly to begin with, We just aren't that kind of animal.

That said I have no doubt that they'd find some way to rationalize it in their minds, after all if the whole "alpha/beta" idea had any actual validity a social group can only have one Alpha, it's kind of the point of the definition so if they were capable of actual logic they'd realize that saying that he's Alpha automatically makes them all betas.

So yeah as long as he's in their Tribe they'll either deny evidence no matter how strong (kind of like they do with literally everything else) or find someway to rationalize their continued support for their leader , after all that's what betas do :biotruths:

Isn't the stupid Alpha/Beta thing not even true for wolves?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maybe he's locked in a bathroom and they can't get his phone away from him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Reminder that obamacare is actually extremely bad garbage and the US has the worst health care of any first world country on the entire earth and it was just better than not having it instead of being good and people don't deserve to die for wishing it was something better even if their idea of what would help is factually incorrect.

Nobody who voted for Trump thought he was going to replace it with something better for everyone unless they are too stupid to actually be able to breathe. They thought he would gently caress over people they didn't like. The constant attempts to reframe it as good-natured ignorance and 'aw shucks, we didn't know" is just giving them an excuse.

sit on my Facebook posted:

If the necessary precondition for good healthcare policy is "the general public meaningfully understands healthcare policy" then we are totally hosed

I understand that it's frustrating but it's not the voting public's fault that they are constantly propagandized

They openly and willingly voted for this. It is 100% their fault. "We got tricked!!" doesn't count until the exact moment they begin marching against him and actively taking action. Feeling bad doesn't matter an iota to the hundreds of thousands of people whose lives they ruined.

Why do people keep insisting they deserve sympathy from the people they're harming, but never expect them to give sympathy to those people?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 8, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think this thread has broken me. People saying things like "piddly" and "steam" just reinforces the all-consuming pee tape narrative.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

galenanorth posted:

Marco Rubio just tried to cast shade on Comey for leaks that happened from within the Senate Intelligence Committee, regarding there being or not being an investigation, after the Senate Intelligence Committee was to blame for the leak of his letter to them about Anthony Weiner. This whole thing has cleared up a lot of misgivings that people have had about Comey, that he intentionally did that to undermine the Clinton campaign because he's a Republican, and that he went public with the Clinton investigation because they told him to call it a "matter" and because of Bill Clinton's meeting with the Attorney General on the airport tarmac. I, too, suspected he was using his office to try to sway the election, but this hearing has persuaded me that he has acted with the intentions of a model American citizen.

No, he totally did it because he was a Republican, he just expected Trump to lose and it to be a useful talking point against Clinton, not to help Trump win.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly if we got rid of Sessions that would at least be a huge boon to every single person in the country not named Sessions o that's what I'll hope for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really genuinely do not understand how you can mention Clinton's Emails in a post-Trump era and not burst into sheer flames of hypocrisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/87284...ed64337f69e%2F0

Full on legal defense of "Can't obstruct justice without intent. He is too dumb to intend."

I really genuinely can not loving understand how "He isn't smart enough to be President" isn't followed by "So we should have someone else." He isn't starting his first week at Burgers N' Buns.

• Locked thread