Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, what was Hannity "right" about with Trayvon Martin? That he was jacked up on purple drink and the guy who's been arrested like 3 more times for violent interactions with a gun was just a concerned citizen who was attacked?

I remember when Hannity was "right" about Cliven Bundy and then ran away from him when it turned out he was a big ole racist.

Trayvon Martin was demonstrably, undeniably, irrefutably, irretrievably, incontrovertibly, and with absolute certainty black. And his murderer was not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Zil posted:

Don't we also get the CBO report tomorrow morning for the ACHA? Because I don't see how they will sell all these cuts to social programs along with increasing health care costs for those who will be able to afford insurance.

Judging from this story about their current ad campaign they probably just won't. Or spend as little time as possible before quickly trying to get back to talking about their mythical version of the ACA.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Rigel posted:

This bill will never pass the Senate. They may or may not vote for something else, but McConnell said this morning that he wasn't sure how to get to 50 on any health care bill.

The score was eagerly anticipated by political nerds like us, and Democrat ad writers needed to know what number to fill in the blank for next year's attack ads.

Try tomorrow. The Democrat in Montana's special election is running on this.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

fsif posted:

I don't know enough about his district, but this HAS to spell the end for Paul Ryan in 2018, right? Or is his a constituency particularly susceptible to messages like “I will literally murder you”?

Last election he won his district by about 35 points. So uh, have to be one hell of a wave to unseat him.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

fsif posted:

Maybe a primary challenger?

Beat that one 84 to 16, and also beat out a uh... "trump conservative". I mean I don't know his district or Wisconsin at all but I think we will unfortunately be cursed with Ryan's presence until he dies during the Great Shadowfall.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 24, 2017

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Taerkar posted:

I cannot help but suspect that the whole Manchester bombing leak issue was done intentionally by the administration or at least someone in it to feed the "The real crimes are the leaks" message.

Yeah, because Trump and his people have shown real foresight about these kinds of things in the past. They leaked because everything there leaks. It's probably a safer bet that some individual either did it because that's what they do now, or they did it because they think ISLAMIC TERROR helps them and they couldn't wait for the Brits to move forward.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

RAHOWA's a-comin, brother

Yeah, the Waco and Ruby Ridge stuff remain important with militia types. And until something resembling them happen again those two are gonna stay fresh. Distorted as all hell but hey, what cultural myth bullshit isn't.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, what do you mean here? Why would a White Supremacist get mad about what happened to the Branch Davidians? They were a kooky Christian cult but I don't think race had anything to do with it. I've seen a black survivor of the group on an interview show.

Because the ATF(edit: brain fart with Ruby Ridge) were the ones doing the sieging. It has nothing to do with who the Branch Davidians actually were. poo poo it's not even about the actual siege so much as the myth of the siege.

edit: Anyways, I'd go out on a limb and say most militia types or really most of anyone don't know much about the Branch Davidians. I know the general tone I got from my uncle on this poo poo amounts to thinking they're just sort of weird isolationist Christians who liked guns, and not a doomsday cult way into sexual abuse. poo poo just sort of gets glossed over.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 25, 2017

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Good going Jötunheimr, land of Ice and Darkness.

edit: At least Gianforte is liable to have more interesting scandals on down the road.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nonsense posted:

He's got Russian mob money.

Oh, good.

mango sentinel posted:

Every DC reporter needs to be up his rear end constantly until he snaps some more.

I imagine he's gonna spend between now and 2018 getting constantly needled by every person who interviews him. Or he just never ever talks to the media again I guess.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Tengames posted:

I honestly hate it as its the same exact poo poo before the election people were doing with hillary, pointing to random poo poo in a video as proof shes not all there

The more likely answer is trump is an old man who treats his body like poo poo , doing the most stressful job in the world , and its catching up to him

Doesn't even gotta be stress or exhaustion. His style of speaking seems to hit home with his audience so of course he's gonna stick with it. That's just basic public speaking.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

mcmagic posted:

It kind of is...

That has nothing to do with plain incompetence and I think, or at least hope, you know that.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

mcmagic posted:

That seems open to interpretation. The way it is worded does seem to cover plain incompetence.

Is "unable to discharge" not "is really bad at doing it." Which is why the president can counter that they have "no inability" because it's about health, mental or physical, and not really about job performance. It would have to be one hell of an interpretive dance to justify invoking the 25th because he isn't very good at presidenting. Dude's already making GBS threads all over the emoluments clause, there's no reason to stretch amendments to mean something they pretty plainly don't.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

arbybaconator posted:

This thread isn't moving a thousand posts an hour, so I guess this just isn't really a big deal?

Senate Intelligence Committee has already subpoenaed Flynn, and is getting some cooperation from him. I think they haven't subpoenaed Cohen yet, but the House Intelligence Committee still has Nunes hanging around so I wouldn't expect much out of Cohen until the Senate committee issues one.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

poo poo, the London incident's a terrorist attack. And apparently more are popping up as we speak, 3 reported incidents according to CNN.

Oh man, can't wait to find out these people were tied to the Manchester attacker and they decided to speed up their schedules when that info got leaked to the press.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

titanium posted:

Once the piss tapes are released t_d will all instantly become watersport enthusiasts.

ahem

All those loving liberals burn flags but suddenly the Obamzis sleep in a hotel bed and it's sacred!!!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah he started out good and just two-faced in an instant, what a snake

a republican speaks out of both sides of his mouth? wow wow wow wow disturbing if true

At least Feinstein, and I'm guessing other dems, are ready for that poo poo.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Oh so it's the "he's a poor sweet boy who doesn't know what he does" defense. At least they're mixing it up this time instead of slapping at once thing like leaks.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I genuinely wonder if the "Would be nice to know my satellites' thing was 'Who do I need to throw under the bus to get away' or 'WHO ELSE ARE YOU LOOKING AT? TELL ME'

What else could it be?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
God drat that Obama snipe was some primo poo poo.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"do you think trump colluded with russia?"

"I don't think I should answer that in an open session"

Cotton maybe kinda hosed up there instead of asking about contemporaneous investigations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Initiating deep disturbance protocols...

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
"There's an ongoing investigation into Clitnon, yeah?"

"No."

"Well... what if we just like... what if we just pretended it was? What if maybe she also did Russia? What if?"

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Oh god some one reboot McCain some one didn't implement multi-threading properly.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Retro42 posted:

Wait, so he's pissed that they proved Clinton didn't collude and they haven't done the same for Trump?!

I thiiiiiink? Seriously who loving knows.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Is there any legal problem with Comey leaking his memo? Did we hear him say it was declassified?

He said many of those memos were unclassified to begin with, but that he does not personally have them anymore. It's up to Mueller or any journalists who still possess them. There are no legal problems with the leak because they were not classified and he was acting as a private citizen passing on his own recollections and writeups.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Burning_Monk posted:

I did find Kamala Harris' line of questioning pretty funny.

"I was a prosecutor so I know how these things go..." Proceeds to ask a bunch of sensitive questions that Comey can't answer in an open forum.

That was the goal. It gets a lot of those questions into the public arena and on people's minds and Comey for his part won't definitively say no. whether or not that is actually the case. Plus the Republican lines of attack had been shut down by that point.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Ratmtattat posted:

What is the purpose of trashing Comey here? Is it just to try to trash his testimony from last week?

That and to try to muddy the waters about Trump admitting he was firing him because of the Russia investigation.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

LaserShark posted:

I mean, if the Heritage Foundation says it, it must be followed to the letter, right?

poo poo one of the republicans in the hearing brought up Holder to defend Sessions, except it's Holder so he had to also clarify that Holder was wrong and bad and they went to court over it. But uhh something's different now. Can't quite put my finger on it though.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Moxie posted:

Any political motivation is going to be bad for everyone.

Nah, if they're conservative this poo poo is getting swept under the rug about as fast as it did when Giffords got shot.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

botany posted:

that's because an attack on their own can be used to spin attention away from his involuntary nixon cosplay. and liberals fall for that poo poo. remember how many liberals donated money when that GOP office got hit? even this thread is going "now is the time to show compassion and be the bigger person! have pity on the poor racist who wants to let people die of preventable diseases!" it's loving stupid but as long as it works they're going to use it to make political hay.

There's a difference between "pity the poor racist" and "hey maybe let's not shoot people who are in congress." Unless you're advocating the start of a serious civil war, shooting any congress person needs to be treated as some serious poo poo. Now when people start advocating a gofundme for the guy, that's when you should get on to people.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 14, 2017

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Faustian Bargain posted:

Going to be great when the shooter's motivation (most likely political, come on) is revealed.

Conservative: False flag.
Liberal: Part of vast left-wing conspiracy, shooter in direct contact with Obama and Senate/House Democrats.

With the aid of Satan, the accursed one, I predict that if it's a conservative they will first say "uhh that's not what Kellyanne said" and run with that for a while. Then they will shift to saying it was mental illness publicly while saying it was a false flag privately.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

i expect to be jailed by the end of the day for being a registered democrat

haha look at this absolute fool. don't you understand they won't need to jail you because the right wing media is so powerful that they will just erase you from existence. one flick of their ratings dominating wrist and you will have never even been.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Flip Yr Wig posted:

This poo poo is not a Reichstag Fire type event, but it's going to ratchet up the paranoia among the Pepes. The odds of one of them straight up shooting a counter-protester at one of their rallies has definitely gone up.

Of course, those odds are always going up anyway.

That neo-nazi that got arrested in Florida was apparently planning to bomb synogagues and nuclear plants so y'know.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Are we living on the same planet? Have I just imagined all those years of GOP hysterics based on way less damning stuff than this?

No one's saying they won't play this poo poo up, but a loving duck ramp was a point of contention with them. A dem could have sneezed on a republican senator and they'd play it up as the start of Civil War II.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Which is why I'm mildly suspicious. I'm not trying to be a tinfoil hat. It just seems a bit too "on the nose".

gently caress off with that. If this is in fact the shooter then the dude was a berniebro. The amount of planning and effort it would take to cultivate some perfect liberal facebook to use in a false flag attack to bring about the orange reich is literally unbelievable. At most, this turns out to be a case of mistaken identity.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

You really think people don't advocate for violence against Nazis in this thread?

The idea behind violence against nazis is to push them out of public spaces because you can't reason them down and they will end up being violent anyways, such as say in busses with knives. And while poo poo there is a valid argument for velvet glove/iron fist approach in political activity, GI Berniebro and his one man battalion doesn't really fit into either of those.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

So the issue you have is this shooter didn't have a bigger team? Seems like shooting Nazis would certainly push them out of public spaces if you murder them.

I didn't say that was my stance, just that the idea isn't, as you earlier stated, to make Scalise

Trabisnikof posted:

less of a Nazi

Yes, I do think, from a purely "is this effective" standpoint, that this kind of political violence has to come from an organized structure, with defined goals and a capacity to negotiate. Which is why I said earlier that unless some one was prepared to advocate for civil war they might not want to be praising this guy. I certainly don't think it's time for a civil war.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Boy this is about to be a day, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Madkal posted:

I thought it was Trump who mentioned 2ndamenendmentsolutions

They pretty much all have and that is going to be the response to any of this "even the word resistance is violent" bullshit.

• Locked thread