Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

An admin asked the OP to close the thread for some reason. So it's not his fault.

It was a post in a different thread in CSPAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I thought it was pretty funny when I visited my parents back in March they had MSNBC on pretty much all of the time and my dad wouldn't stop gushing about Rachel.

highme
May 25, 2001

Mustached Demon posted:

gently caress it full conspiracy mode since I'm there already: you bet your sweet rear end they were the those subs. The ones with the big badaboom.

Off topic but if we have to have to missile subs, I for one would chuckle if the next generation was the "Dallas" class.

highme
May 25, 2001

glowing-fish posted:

While it can be a problem in parts of Montana, I think that you are probably dealing with stereotypes there.

Just as a wild guess, are you from an East Coast state and you think that Montana is somehow just another version of Binghampton, Toledo, Grand Rapids or one of those East Coast cities?

Fortunately the SPLC has a handy Hate Map that we can use to kill 2 birds with one stone in this "learning opportunity".

Those lessons being:
1) There are 10 Active hate groups in Montana (according to the SPLC), which on its face looks good for Montana. When adjusted for population it comes in at #7 according to the math done here --> http://brilliantmistake.tumblr.com/post/182303771/most-hate-by-state

2) Looking at the map it's obvious with anyone with a working pair of eyes that not only is Michigan an East Coast state, it's also a Gulf Coast state.

highme fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 24, 2017

highme
May 25, 2001

The best thing to come out of Montana were the Missoula Floods.

highme
May 25, 2001

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

glowing-fish you've brought me and my friends sincere joy on an otherwise dark day in American history and for that I thank you. Every time I hear the waves crash on the shores of Akron they'll be calling your name - glowing-fish, glowing-fish.

Do you split time between LA & Akron and if so does that mean you're one of those bi-coastal elites now?

highme
May 25, 2001

Hopefully there will be fun video from this.

https://twitter.com/WCSheriff/status/867483978801872896

quote:

HWY 26 EB back open near 185th Ave after traffic stop with noncompliant driver now in custody, had "PRIVATE" plate.

Highway 26 is the main east/west route from downtown Portland towards the western suburbs & coast.

highme
May 25, 2001

He didn't body slam him, he was just trying to throw him into the ocean but came up short.

highme
May 25, 2001

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Truth. Also:

https://twitter.com/missoulian/status/867598860700569600

Billings is the largest city, it's usually a bellweather battleground.

Missoula is hippies and students.

I'm somewhat surprised that the Missoulian endorsed him to begin with. Though I have no idea of the political leanings of the paper, and only a high level idea of Missoula demographics, so I'm likely to be wrong about that.

glowing-fish posted:

Like, you East Coast people know that "Timberline" isn't just a brand name for clothing, that is a real thing, an altitude where trees don't grow? You do know that, right?

All of your posts about this have been Rugged_Individual.txt but this is my favorite.

Old James posted:

"Montana is all a flat prairie." - glowing-fish if he lived in Nepal.

I mean, that Nepalese glowing-fish wouldn't be wrong.

highme
May 25, 2001

war eagle

highme
May 25, 2001

Can't believe the great people of Montanya are about to elect an east coaster.

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/867810219287429121

highme
May 25, 2001

Nucleic Acids posted:

Milo trying to take credit for something.

And wasn't Louise Mensch originally some right-wing commentator in Britain famous for being Always Wrong on a Kristollian level?

I was first exposed to her during the phone hacking scandal a couple of years ago, she was a Member of Parliament for 2 years and then moved to NYC.

highme
May 25, 2001

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/867808457201774592

highme
May 25, 2001

Let's try to maintain some perspective (editor's note: I skipped the last 3 pages) if the state of Montana was a Metropolitan Statistical Area (how the government tracks urban areas) it would be the 52nd most populous at ~1.03mil, landing between two East & West Coast megalopolises: Grand Rapids, MI. & Tulsa, OK

edit: just noticed that the wikipedia image has Grand Rapids in both Wyoming & Michigan which is impossible because Wyoming & Michigan are on opposite coasts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

highme fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 26, 2017

highme
May 25, 2001

Young Freud posted:

All three of these men came from different backgrounds but were united in death and bodily injury for a common cause.

I read this article about Ricky Best last night. http://www.oregonlive.com/happy-valley/index.ssf/2014/03/retired_happy_valley_army_mech.html he was good people and I mourn his passing.

I also mourn the passing of Taliesin Meche, both men gave their lives to assert the fact that my community, despite it's troubled racial history, doesn't accept hate.

highme fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 28, 2017

highme
May 25, 2001

One theory I saw earlier regarding the increase in bots following DJT is it's part of the new Bannon/Cernovich "war room" and geared to influence trending topics etc.

Also, this is an interesting thread on bot spotting:
https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/869594784393945088

highme
May 25, 2001

Sinteres posted:

Why bother following politics if you're that fatalistic about it?

From a few pages back, but on top of fatalistic it's out and out wrong.

Piell posted:

Thats the Senate, all house seats are up every year

Is it too much to ask to have a basic understanding of US civics to post in this thread?

highme fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 31, 2017

highme
May 25, 2001

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/869935951681900544

highme
May 25, 2001

RottenK posted:

is this something that people actually do

why

Because gay bars are a good place to party?

Prior to Obergefell v. Hodges most of the Portland gay bars had adopted a "Could you please not?" policy in regards to bachelorette parties. I don't think that's the case any longer.

highme
May 25, 2001

PT6A posted:

I imagine Barron or whatever his name is wants to be the one to kill Donald. Imagine being a tween, and watching your fat gently caress father make an rear end of himself and the whole family on a regular basis, and then choose to play golf every goddamn weekend instead of spending any time with you at all.

Barron's going to kill him with a crossbow, on the shitter, after finding out Donald has been loving his pet whore

highme
May 25, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Mister, can you please help my meme

It's down in the dirt won't you help it

I think its it's lung

Mother said the meme was head honcho with the ladies.

highme
May 25, 2001

RC Cola, what people choose to drink when they're dining at a restaurant too cheap to serve Pepsi or Coke products.

highme
May 25, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

sessions getting lynched would turn into autoerotic asphyxiation right quick.

I would appreciate it if you didn't kink shame.

highme
May 25, 2001

https://twitter.com/saywhatagain/status/870301485875302400

highme
May 25, 2001

Welcome to GBS posted:

but where I live (NotPortland-Oregon) literally everyone has a gun

Where specifically?

Family Values posted:

There weren't any *real* mountains nearby so were they really people at all?

Also, it wasn't **that** expensive. I mean coastal real estate values are always a little inflated.

highme fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 1, 2017

highme
May 25, 2001

Are we really going to let the East Coast Elites in Wisconsin decide to change the constitution all willy nilly?

highme
May 25, 2001

Real talk RE McMansions: from 1998-2008 I worked as a residential designer, the last 3 years for a high end boutique builder. 4,000 sq ft w/ 5 bedrooms plus a bonus room was pretty much where we topped out. I did work on some one off plans that were a couple bedrooms bigger, but those weren't all that common.

highme
May 25, 2001

Papal Infallibility posted:

I think the point I'm getting at is that gearing up for a confrontation of some sort is going to get you killed anyways so your only real defense is foresight and not being around when the militias start kicking down doors or whatever. But this is a pointless derail and I'm sorry for getting involved.

I had a conversation with one of my wife's ammosexual in-laws who did 2 tours in Iraq with the Oregon National Guard at Thanksgiving a few years back that kinda went...

Ammosexual in-law: I can't believe you live in "the city" and don't have a gun to protect your family.

Me: Meh, I have a big, loud dog. So any ne'er do wells that are thinking of breaking into our house will hear big, loud dog & likely move on to a softer target.

AIL: Let me tell you how little a big, loud dog dissuaded us in Iraq.

Me: Well, when the time comes that I'm worried about professional US soldiers kicking in my door, I will have likely armed myself.

highme
May 25, 2001

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/870365390328791040

highme
May 25, 2001

Welcome to GBS posted:

Can't wait for the baseball bat and brazilian jiu jitsu uprising started by the 40-something liberal suburbanites in this thread.

Nice username/post combo.

What part of the rural wastelands of Oregon do you live?

highme
May 25, 2001

Krispy Kareem posted:

There are country songs that glamorize farming. Western songs that beautify cattle ranching. Bluegrass songs that romanize moonshining. I have never heard a happy song about coal mining. Literally every one is, "work hard, get screwed, maybe die today, definitely black lung later".

And these are the jobs we're trying to save?

Well, there's this one...oh wait
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ_HzBSY4FE

highme
May 25, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

Unsolicited campaign slogan for Dems:

Hindsight is 2020

:perfect:

stealing this

highme
May 25, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also IIRC, after that tournament a bunch of changes were made because, unsurprisingly, not as many people wanted to watch their favorite fishermen catch the occasional drum or carp.

I love that this sentence exists.

highme
May 25, 2001

Iron Lung posted:

Please don't clink shame.

:perfect:

highme
May 25, 2001

glowing-fish posted:

I am really and truly confused.

Do you think of 480 acres, 40 miles from Manhattan, and directly across from a mall, as a "wilderness area"

Like, the problem with me trolling people from New York is I don't need to. There are a few areas in New York State that are close to being a wilderness, like in the Adirondacks, but suburban Westchester county is not one of them.

Like, do people in New York State really think "wilderness" is anywhere where you can't hear the freeway that easily?

Your rugged individualism is impressive.

highme
May 25, 2001

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

gently caress Russia, lets laugh at some weird poo poo.

Someone break down this one. I need to know why anyone thought any of this was a good idea.

TLDR -- students at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington asked for a 'Day of Absence', asking all the white people to leave the school for a day. A liberal professor (indicated by the article) disagrees with this, and then he's deemed a racist and students and a segment of the faculty demand his firing, because he's somehow endangering students.

Not to be outdone by asking white people to collectively gently caress off, groups of progressive students started roaming the school grounds with bats, because why not. The cherry on top are the counter-protesters, some identifying themselves with Limp-Bizkit themed protests.

This sounds like longform improv.

The part of that you didn't include was that students of color have been participating in a "Day of Absence" for awhile, this year they decided "nah, the white students can bounce for a day" leading to the shitstorm around the professor in question. That's about where I lose interest though.

highme
May 25, 2001

Sen King: "edit; gently caress beaten"

highme
May 25, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

Somebody please explain this so I can be outraged by it.

Comey gave one of his non-classified memos to his friend at Columbia Law that gave it to the press. He was the one right after Comey was fired doing all the PR work for Comey.

highme
May 25, 2001

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/874409910980816896

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

androo posted:

Oh loving stop it. We don't need to talk about this again.

I don't know. A derail on the proper use of apostrophes could be handy for some posters.

• Locked thread