Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Petr posted:

We didn't get a majority, :matters:

are the results in? i tought it was 50 50 and 4 recounts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

theflyingorc posted:

Or continue doing what we can to dismantle gerrymandering as a concept and the left can just win because it's a fair fight and the right is significantly outnumbered.

i would like to see at least our side stick to decorum and let our actions draw good people to our side

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Inferior Third Season posted:

Democrats going overboard with their own gerrymandering is probably the quickest route to dismantling it. It's like how when black people started walking around with guns in California, it got Reagan and the Republicans to implement gun control themselves.

Gerrymandering needs to be taken down on a national, federal level. Individual states that Democrats sporadically win temporarily can't do it themselves.

as soon as democrats are in position to gerrymander. the mere threat of doing it will convince the necessary gop votes to helpass the laws

were winning the hearts and minds of the public. if we stoop to the gop level people will be more likely to see both sides as equally bad and we lose the moral high ground

the moral path will see us to victory

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Dejawesp posted:

Finland is an eyesore for white supremacists because it's super white, super racist, has tons of guns but also high crime, violence and so on.

In fact Finish people are probably the single most openly racist people in the world. To the point where Finish people living in Sweden openly disapprove of their children race-mixing with Swedes.

thats interesting i had no idea finland was like that.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

KickerOfMice posted:

If the hypothetical here is waiting for the republican party to start pressing for anti-gerrymandering legislation, why not wait for that - and then agree that Oh poo poo that's a good idea, now that republicans argued their point, it makes sense!? I know the game of politics is labyrinthine and intentionally socially complicated and the republFOXNEWSicans would (my guess anyway) accuse democrats of being dishonest, betraying their values, hating america and lusting for full communism.

BUT. How could you possibly spin a pro-gerrymandering angle? I'm not saying it can't be done, my heart is just not enough of a shriveled, dishonest, corridor though corruption to imagine one.

lets say 2018 is a repeat of virginia last tue. the democrats start making noise, going through the motions of gerrymandering disctricts

then behind closed doors a few key democrats propose anti gerrymandering laws to the gop leaders

the gop proposes the legislation so their voters see them blocking democrat efforts.

democrats vote yes along with republicans

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Dejawesp posted:

Imagine if Trump is completely unaware of Twitter as a medium and it was a rogue staff member the whole time. Trump as just a lovable old dummy all along :unsmith:

its pence. hes been tweeting the entire time

thats why trump is walking around confused why everyone hates him

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

mcmagic posted:

There is NOTHING democrats should not do if they have any chance to get to 51 seats. There is literally nothing more important.

thats how republicans thought when voting trump for scotus nomination

Id like to think we have moral compass

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Dejawesp posted:

Yes but that's because he aspires to be president and the republicans are the ones most likely to pick him as candidate. He's going to run on the ticket that Arnold couldn't due to being foreign born.

I would wager the rock is republican because the people around him most of his life have been republican.

when you hear the same fox news talking points from people you love and respect your world view aligns.

he even performed a country music song with guitar bashing hillary in the wwe ring prior to elections.

he is full blown republican. i lov his movies though

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

i am the bird posted:

I was losing my mind about all of these comments and telling my friend about it who calmly responded that it's never been about believing women or making up excuses to support your guy or whatever; it's that women do not matter. All of this is fundamentally coming from the same place to these men: women literally do not matter. Their pain doesn't matter, their stories don't matter, their lives don't matter, they don't matter.

Horrific.

I respectfully disagree. republicans do care about woman. they care very deeply for their mothers, sisters, wives

You can say they treat them as property. the stereotype being a good dad with shotgun scares off daughters boyfriend. because somewhere deep down thats his vejayjay

but thats not the same as not caring. theyre a very conflicted people.

its just that tribal party overrides how much they care about woman. which mostly only extends to family females

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

boner confessor posted:

he allegedly diddled kids. you and i and millions of other americans accept these allegations at face value because we have no reason to disbelieve his accusers and because his behavior seems plausible. but there's enough space there for people to dismiss these allegations, because he hasn't been (and won't be) convicted before the election

just remember that if he gets elected, the people of alabama didn't elect a child predator, they elected an alleged child predator, which is still bad enough while being accurate

this is a slow burning down of the gop brand. Im less interested in trying to rehabilitate current republicans. my own efforts to un crazy my entire family and friends(ohio and arizona) have completely failed. any progress made us undone by fox and facebook

Im more interested in younger generations reading how disgusting the gop is turning blue before they start voting.

Im especially encouraged by the young turnout in virginia. once they start voting we got them.

this is why im a big proponnent of keeping the moral high ground. i dont want the democrats to stopp to gop level of political shenanigans. stay pure and we will win in the long run

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'd like to think some are good people. I have no loving idea who or where they are but I'd like to hope they're out there. :ohdear:

they are out there but they are fleeing the party. the compaction cycle continues

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Me too, me too. Kentucky.

its depressing. we exist in completely separate realities.

pour one out for the homies

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It'll come down to Democratic enthusiasm and whether Republicans actually try to mount a Luther Strange write-in campaign, which would almost certainly split the ticket. The thing to note here is that all of these reporters are interviewing Roy Moore supporters, and noting that they continue to support him, but that's only 55% of Alabama's Republican primary voters. Roy Moore won the primary, but Luther Strange got enough of the vote that even if only 1 in 5 of his voters were too disgusted to go to the polls and pull the lever -- not even vote for a Democrat, but just fail to vote -- that would most likely sink Moore's election chances. If they could be convinced to try a write in campaign, that could sink Moore entirely.

the dnc should spend their money encouraging people to write in strange

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And he has no reason to lie right? Please, he's full of poo poo.

it probably is true. the hardcore gop moore supporters are doubling down. so they probably are getting more calls for stickers

we dont know what the less fanatical republicans are doing

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

sharkbomb posted:

Has there ever been an example of an opposing party stirring up a write-in campaign against the primary winner? I feel like I've heard of this happening but can't recall...

It would be an interesting way to hurt Roy Moore without getting any overtly Democratic fingers on it.

they should be running commercials. posting on facebook

russian bot style

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Paracaidas posted:

Dems may face a similar debacle in NJ (though I still expect he gets off).

If you hear any loud popping noises after that verdict, it'll be the heads exploding when McConnell insists that Christie be allowed to name the replacement since he's governor at the time, rather than the winner of the election.

is a dem in nj having some sort of sex scandal?

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Vladimir Putin posted:

How is she in charge of kids?

i have a feeling she wont be for long. the school superintedent should be notified

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Feral Integral posted:

While I'm glad sexual assault victims are getting at least some kind of justice for a change I can't help but feel like I'm not fully grasping the big picture here as to why this grenade decided to go off now and what it means

the fuse was lit with the trump pussy grab video. woman started coming forward and it never stopped

the word is getting out amongst sexual assault victims that its good to come forward. so these assaulters will be stopped

what it means is many mens careers will be damaged. and future men of power will be less rapey

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dems would've won even more seats if Ellison was in charge, clearly! :ussr:

The moment that WaPo story broke I hope Perez got on a conference call and the GOTV machine in Virginia got pointed at Alabama. The best thing to do now is get that same GOTV, door-to-door activity going and drive turnout while letting Moore continue to dig a hole for himself. There's nothing the Democrats could say about Moore that'd hurt him more than his own words have, and attacking Moore just invites the tribalism effect to make angry Republicans go back to supporting Their Team. If they can flip Republicans as part of their GOTV activity then hey that's great, but getting every possible Democrat to the polls is going to matter more.

You know, assuming the polling places don't suddenly "move" or having broken machines, or various other complete and totally unforseen issues that only happen in Dem-heavy areas of the state.

do gotv door to door canvasers have tablets where they can help people register for early mail in voting right there on the spot?

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

AceOfFlames posted:

Anyone who wants to have kids in this world should really reexamine their beliefs. If all the sexual predators, bigotry, declining employment and climate change don't scare, please tell me your secret. I cannot imagine why anyone would willingly take that responsibility.

it comes from a place of love. you and your spouse love each other and biologically that means babies. usually the woman is the driver there.

generally men are less driven to have babies but do it to make their wife happy. being too deep in internet doom and gloom supresses baby urges

Ive also noticed in the people around me. that people enjoy their free lifestyle too much to be burdened by babies. when they do have a baby its more likely to be one baby to check that box off the list

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

mcmagic posted:

I like these idiot Alabama talk show hosts on ABC advocating that they postpone the election to "give the Republican party time to get a better candidate on the ballot".

Yay Democracy!!!

the plus side to this is. if the governor actuall holds to her statement about not changing the election. then they are giving a lot of publicity to how terrible moore is.

this could be a blowout for the democrats

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

mcmagic posted:

I think it's pretty clear that there is NOTHING a republican candidate could do in Alabama for there to be a democratic blowout.

your probably right. but time will tell. give it a month of republicans hearing how moore is a pedophile and it could be a blowout

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Question for you all.

Why don't we buy ads on Facebook to effect the Alabama election? Phone banking and donations are useful, but Facebook has a reach that can't be matched and the ability to influence important groups with hyper targeted messaging. If the election is close, which it appears it will be and Facebook ads have been proven effective in swinging votes, which they have then why not use it?

Obviously there are some interesting ethical questions here, but the mechanics of it are surprisingly simple.

what ethical questions? we arent russia. we are americans we have every right to sway election with words

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Zwabu posted:

Is that really true though? Wouldn't GOPers be more likely to vote in Alabama than Democrats most of the time? (I understand that this right here is not "most of the time".)

I'd think that applying a LV screen to these results might make it LESS good, but I don't know.

i think theres a good chance. that democrat voters in alabama have had severely reduced turnout based on the preconceived notion that their votes dont matter.

that their votes will be swallowed by a tsunami of gop voters. basically the reverse of democrat voters in california. whos turnout is reduced by the fact that the voting will already go in the democrats favor so why bother adding one more drop in the full bucket

swing states are the most motivated. we need to make alabama voters believe theyre state is a swing state

maybe it has been for a few years now and this is the event that breaks the dam open.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Phoix posted:

Breitbart is running a story about an 11 point lead poll that was exclusively released to them by a consultancy that worked for Moore's campaign. :allears:

good. when republicans think moore is safe they are more likely to stay home rather than vote for a pedophile

if democrats think he might win they are more lilely to turn out and vote

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

i have no doubt the timing release of the story was deliberate

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

boner confessor posted:

yes, but that doesn't make the allegations untrue, it just means roy moore got hosed by having to be responsible for his past sexual predator behavior. which is a good thing, there's no wrong time to expose a pedophile

Im not saying the allegations are false. just that I would believe they sat on the story until it was too late to replace moore

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

OddObserver posted:

He never said it was big, just that is was "perhaps the most disturbing story I have ever reported in ~15 years of covering national security". The "big" was just thread wishful-think. Mind you, one could raise the same question about that just as well, since there is a lot of really horrific stuff going on around the world.

well then its the most disturbing hes reported in. not the most disturbing anyone has reported in.

just his own personal worst

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

theflyingorc posted:

Worth noting: they interviewed 550, so 3% means they asked literally 15 people under 35. Weirdos who have landlines. The real number for under 35 is probably worse. I think Moore is toast.

thats people with cable internet bundles that come with phone. sometimes people plug phone in, maybe because they have kids or a parent that likes having the phone

i agree its probably worse for moore though

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Your Taint posted:

Speaking of which, it's a shame that the story about the guy being left behind and loving executed has gotten zero airtime, as far as I can tell.

it got the airtime it deserved imo. mistakes happen in combat situations. a soldier died. were not republicans who are gonna benghazi this for next few months.

if anything a conversation can be had that

trump giving full autonomy to the generals
congress giving full autonomy to the president
relegating their war responsibilities is a bad thing

well have to wait until democrats regain control of the government and then hope we still have the desire to re establish congress role in our government. the presidency has been consolidating power for too long

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

FizFashizzle posted:

Generic republican lifer.

this is why people in government need to stop quitting their jobs as a form of protest statement. they get replaced by more despicable republicans

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

TheDisreputableDog posted:

On the one hand, I want everyone who coddled Trump but knows better to be primaried so hard.

On the other hand, they won't be replaced by smarter people.

Still - I'm not sure voters in other states are going to care all that much.

the fact they will be replaced by more volatile, aggressive, uncooperative blowhards is good

they wont be able to work together. the laws they try to pass will be even more unpopular than the relatively more sane senate we have now.

the public backlash will make viginia seem tame.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Alter Ego posted:

It's akin to the argument that every Democrat that has taken part in a Presidential debate has faced--the vast majority of Democratic candidates in the last 20-30 years have been smarter and savvier than their Republican opponents, so the argument is made that they have to avoid looking arrogant and condescending.

The solution? Be arrogant and condescending. They expect it anyway; might as well go whole hog and curbstomp them on stage.

democrats should stand up for themselves. call out republican on their lies and fake facts

but we should not stoop to their level. we are winning the hearts and minds of the voters by being the party of morals, decorum, respect, love

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Well, the reason I'm torn about it is that I'm a republican.

That said, I'm having a hard time believing someone is using an accelerationist argument in 2017 BUT!

its not accelerationist. a senate full of roy moore is less dangerous less capable of passing laws. we walk right thru trumps presidency with minimal gop wins

and the voter backlash would be horrific.

its the same argument for why we dont want trump impeached. better trump than pence who is more compitent

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

mdemone posted:

The Senate can, but they won't. It doesn't matter because he's going to lose. If even one in ten likely Republican voters chooses not to show up for a pedophile in a special election with nothing else on the ballot, it's over.

1 in 10 dont show up OR write strange in.

it would be extra special if democrats are energised not to have a pedophile represent them in senate

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Ogmius815 posted:

It might split votes with Moore, or the write in might just win. Whether or not vote-splitting occurs, potentially opening up a path for Jones to win, depends I think mostly on how hard Moore continues to push his campaign. If Moore goes full scorched earth, refusing to drop out and actively campaigning against Strange/Sessions/whoever, then I think Jones has a chance. If Moore suspends his campaign or runs more mildly I think the write in would probably win.

they cant afford any split voting. you never get 100% writing in strange or 100% voting moore. the best chance the republicans have is to ignore this and let alabama vote for the (R)

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Ague Proof posted:

He must have done this to dozens of teenage girls.

Being right feels good. The defenders in the Russia thread must be moving the goalposts as we speak.

there is likely worse out there. u donts top at stripping a 14 year old to her underwear and making her touch u through your underwear.

right now the foundation is being laid. a week before the election we will have a press release where

1) roy moore had intercourse with 14 year old
2) after he was married
3) recently enough to be charged

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Da Mott Man posted:

When wikileaks first came out with some stuff I though was important for the public interest to know I was a supporter. But its clear now that something is very wrong with that organization and Assange. I would absolutely support another transparency spinoff that actually tried to show the abuses of governments and companies.

what would it take for the goon squad to make this reality?

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

HappyHippo posted:

You're assuming they'd rather have Moore over the Democrat, that's not entirely clear right now

they want more than a democrat. they are just making noise about opposing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

HappyHippo posted:

I think many of them would rather have a democrat over Moore before this came out, he was always going to be a headache for them in the Senate. But opposing him would have produced a backlash from the base. Now they have the opportunity to disavow him, and they're taking it.

it costs nothing to tweet that roy moore should step down. they wont run anyone as a sign in candidate

that would be the real sign to me that they truly want moore out. if they ran a sign in campaign they would only need to shave a few % off moore for jones to win

if they wanted jones to win they could make it happen easy. they will make noise that roy should step down.

• Locked thread