Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Beta is definitely a good time for a new thread. I'm excited to see how the game actually plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
They've been up front about their problems, so the bad news isn't that big of a deal to me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone calling this game a scam has no idea what they're talking about.

Anyone freaking out about people calling this game a scam are only making themselves look like idiots.

HBS has shown a ton of progress, has been up front about their problems, and has consistently demonstrated a consistency of vision and refusal to expand scope or get more money. They are as far from a scam as Star Citizen is from a functional game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Urbanmechs seem really well suited for a cheap, camping style of play.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I agree that, as things are right now, LRMs are pretty much the go-to weapon. I managed to use an Urbanmech, two Trebuchets, and a Catapult and actually get a pilot kill on a Centurion. In the aftermath it looks like I would have been able to salvage the whole thing. I don't think that indirect shots should allow the player to target a location, and agree that the stability damage of the LRM is way too high. I think stability damage should be a function of actual damage, with a modifier for the weapon type. Bullets doing the most, lasers none, and missiles and PPCs somewhere in the middle.

chutche2 posted:

I do like that we seem to be mostly discussing balance rather than "the game doesn't work"

I agree. It shows that they did the right thing in waiting to get the beta out. A playable game where players can comment on mechanics is far more useful and rewarding.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

School Nickname posted:

This is exactly what I'm doing at the moment and it's pretty good. Hunchbacks are great for mauling poo poo and distracting enough so the Orions can do their thing relatively unmolested. The Orions in this setup are amazing with the multi-target pilots, who are the highest gunnery pilots as well. For the AI I split my Hunchbacks and Orions so they go after the hunchbacks who maul their front while the Orions snipe their backs with AC10s.

e; just throwing it out there, but does anyone here think lights (and lights only) should be able to attack, then move? Just a choice between move->attack and attack->move.

Yeah, lights really need something to set them apart. Maybe move-attack-move, with reduced movement per gap, or maybe the option attack/move or move/attack. Right now I really don't see the benefit of them going early that much.

Maybe limit certain skills to certain chassis? For example maybe Evade can only go on light/medium mechs, while Bulwark only goes on heavy/assault. Right now it seems like the only reason to take a light is because you can't afford something better.

Maybe dramatically improve the hit penalties for moving?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Alchenar posted:

Also piling in on the 'game should not tell me my hit chance is 100% when actually it is 50%' bandwagon.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kanos posted:

I'm only basing this off watching streams, but it feels weird that evasive move is just as effective when used on an Atlas as on a Locust.

Yeah, it is. I think Evasion should be a function of distance moved, with the skill making the pilot more efficient (for example one unit of movement with Evasion being worth two units without).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The nice thing about Battletech versus X-COM is that damage is much more gradual, so you can realistically field partially repaired mechs who might only have armor damage. This would also make the campaign interesting from a choices perspective; do you allocate your techs to fixing up that salvaged heavy mech or do you have them focus on repairing the armor on your line mechs who have to go out next mission?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
God forbid people read a review and discuss the validity of the arguments being made instead of dismissing the whole site in a flurry of logical fallacy. The reviewer actively indicated how much he wanted to like it, how the game should have been exactly what he likes to play, and how hard it is to enjoy it because of what he thinks is poor pacing. That seems like a valid criticism to me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What's a good starting set for your player dude? I went 2 tactics 1 gunnery because periphery exile sounded reasonable for a silent protagonist.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Someone mentioned a glitch earlier? Is it better to sell or salvage a mech you don't want?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's like EVE Online, where the fluff says that it costs the savings and lives of hundreds of thousands of people just to build and run the smallest of ships, which are then flown directly into the sun just to see what happens.

At least with EVE that flat out say that the folks in the capsules are immortal assholes who have no disregard for their crews, but people sign on anyway because a job's a job.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Magni posted:

Well, that's a nice haul for an early 0.5 skull mission. Maxing out salvage was pretty drat worth it on this one. I gave up about 200k C-Bills in payment (if I had maxed pay instead) for all this stuff.

Kinda salty I didn't get that third Panther piece after killing the pilot, but still worth.

Is there a point at which I should consider not flat out going for maximum salvage?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bramble posted:

Can I sell the partial mech salvage I get after a mission? Or do I have to actually assemble the mech first? It seems to be worth a lot per the mission complete report, but it's not showing up in the store under the sell tab.

I think you have to assemble it first. Once it's assembled you store it and then sell it from storage. I believe the only reason to ever use salvage is because the mech is damaged and you don't have time to repair, but I could be wrong.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:toot: restarted for Totally Garbage Exclusive Ability reasons and headshot the moon heavy out of the blue.

thank Space Allah for getting three guaranteed salvage slots on that mission

I ended up crushing the face of the moon heavy via pummeling and got to salvage it as well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Best build for a LRM-firing douchebag, Gunnery 2 / Tactics 1 or Gunnery 1 / Tactics 2?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SilverMike posted:

Tactics 2, if you're a missile boat you're probably not firing only 1 LRM at a person to let Breaching Shot work.

With multi-shot you could hit three of them simultaneously. At least that's what I heard in this thread.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, it comes in quick. Great for high-level tactician, who gets a bonus to targeted strikes.

If you take something like Gunnery 2 / Guts 1 you can still dump a bunch of points into Tactician and get the called shot and indirect fire bonuses, right? It's only the skills you miss out on?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
60 ton mechs seem like a trap to me. They're not that much better than the guys at the top of the medium tier but they lose initiative and everyone wants to kill them. That said I have a Quickdraw, Dragon, and most recently a Grasshopper so any build recommendations would be great.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there a way to edit save files to respec a character?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gamerofthegame posted:

Grasshopper is in the running for best mech in this game, god drat.

How do you equip yours?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
LRM20s with +2 stability damage are just cruel.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ihmemies posted:

Often it feels like my lrm40 centurion does most of the work. I just stripped off some more armor and installed a 4th box of ammo...

Two of them are perfect for knocking out whatever mech you might want. Four rounds and it's yours.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Arrath posted:

The whole "starting a mission with the enemy reinforcements a-field" bit/bug is a little tough, sometimes.

I just had my first run-in with a demolisher tank, and an enemy Trebuchet. Well, that loving hurt. Now I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of endless missile barrages. The tank rolled down and hosed my Orion right up, while the Treb just made life a living hell. My own LRM-boat Cent spent the entire battle overheated as I just couldn't afford to stop slinging missiles. It got really, really hairy when my Shadowhawk got too close to their Enforcer, who naturally DFA'd me. The following 2 rounds of Called:CT shots against me were awfully fuckin knucklebiting. Luckily that same round I return-DFA'd that Enforcer with my Vindicator and knocked it over, probably saving my Shadowhawk.

By the end of it my SH was down a leg, and my Orion was missing it's ballistic torso and an arm, so it was just punching poo poo. Fuckin' brutal. Glitch is in the hospital for 60 days, my character for another 40.

My mechs? Hooo boy.

Might as well go for some R&R, folks. After the cost of repairing these guys I just might go flat rear end broke during the time it takes to fix them up. I don't think my Centurion even took any hits that penned its (minuscule) armor, but that's what running in the redzone for like 15 turns will do to you. And that BJ has been in the shop for 2 and a half months already, it keeps on getting pushed to the back of the line so I can field a lance.

I did get a shiny new Treb out of it, tho!

There's a grayed-out button below your task list that lets you re-order tasks. I didn't discover it until I clicked on it by accident. You only need four of those to be in good order to get going.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do you guys ever fly to high tech systems in the hopes of getting some decent weapons?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there a way to respec pilots?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pity. You would think the save games could be edited.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone else aware of a recent problem where the game crashes on startup?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
A campaign where you only stay in the Leopard, but repair times dramatically scale with mech weight would be interesting. Like if 50 tons was the baseline and then the number of tech points required to do something was scaled based on relative weight. 20 ton mechs would be done in 40% of the time, 100 ton mechs 200%.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Am I just not supposed to be able to get missions in Taurian Concordant space? I'm at the point where I have heavy mechs and yet all of the missions are basically "LOL NOPE NOBODY LIKES YOU GO".

Kind of sucks since those systems have all the good stuff.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OddObserver posted:

Plus the called shot bonus. And indirect penalty reduction. And the minimal range reduction....

Tactics 2 / Guts 1 seems like the pro choice.

Pity I wasn't smart enough to take it on any of my dudes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ravenfood posted:

You don't even have to press alt, you just need to look at the terrain warning signs. Like, the giant loving red signs on the terrain when you mouse over an area. I cannot imagine how anyone missed them, but people keep doing it apparently.

Though given how much this comes up, I beginning to wonder if there might actually be a display bug.

Yeah, I mean I've never had a problem with seeing where the dropship lands so I can only assume it's a display bug or something.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there a way to modify weapons? Flamers shouldn't require ammunition.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone mind sharing some Orion builds? I'm struggling to fit mine out, I think I've gone for an AC20 and some LRMs for now and it sits hiding at the back sniping people being an obnoxious shitbag, but it feels like a waste of its armour.

I use the AC-20, three MLs, and then fill up armor, jump jets, and heat sinks. Works great since the AC-20 basically does all the work while the medium lasers let me do precision work. I really should start putting more emphasis on finding accuracy/critical hit ones. Two Orions and two LRM boats works really well for me. The approach is pretty simple:

1. Hit enemy with two LRM shots, knocking them down and injuring pilot.
2. Blow off side torso to get pilot injury.
3. Repeat.

Two turns and the target is incapacitated.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Stomp harder.

Is it just me, or is Outrider (Pilot major, Guts minor) a very redundant combo? If an ace pilot shoots without moving, then they can brace, which gives the same bonus as the Guts minor plus some with no stacking if my understanding is correct, or move behind something and probably not get shot at in the first place.

I know, the optimal combo is Gunnery major Guts minor, but I like being able to scoot after shooting.

I think it depends on your approach. Personally I really like Guts Minor Tactical Major, since the majority of damage seems to be from called shots and getting ahead of your opponent before knocking them down is pretty powerful. Especially when you can combine it with reserves to go twice before they do.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I can't tell you how disappointed I was to finally get a jenner chassis and find I can't load it up with small lasers and SRMs to complete my old MWO chubby-chaser build.

But that's basically a fun tax, and those suck.

Edit: Maybe instead of a penalty for being overweight, there could be a bonus for being underweight? That might work.

Introduce urban missions where the contract includes a bonus for every mech you keep below a certain tonnage in order to save on repaving all the roads.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Night10194 posted:

At core part of the problem is that as Battletech is set up, you are going to get hit. People fire a shitload of shots per attack, with 50-50 being considered 'bad' odds on a shot. So you're going to take hits. That pushes things towards mechs that can take hits being better, especially as that ability to take hits comes with a concurrent rise in ability to hit people. So Lights that rely entirely on lowering the chance they get shot are a bit risky as is, plus they bring fewer guns to the table themselves.

They're still useful until the enemy is all 4 Assault Mech meatwalls, mind you; a Firestarter can hop over someone's head and meaningfully backstab the poo poo out of them for quite some time. But eventually the wall of HP and guns is enough that it would be simpler to just bring a wall of HP and guns, especially since the progression of the game is from a mixed Medium-Light lance to a Medium-Heavy to a Heavy-Assault to an Assault lance because those are the more expensive and more powerful mechs. If you had the gradation at the weight classes instead, with, say, Locusts being lovely Lights and some crazy Star League Light Mech or whatever being the 'endgame' Light Mech you might see them stick around longer.

Maybe give light mechs more of a bonus for evasion? Like a (WR-100)/100 bonus, so that Locusts get 80% more evasion than an Atlas for moving the same distance?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Perhaps make evasion pips worth more, but require longer distances of movement to earn them? This is possible to do in the .jsons

That could work. Basically anything to make lights harder to hit.

Night10194 posted:

The other problem, of course, is that they have to balance campaign play against the AI and multiplayer play and I'm pretty sure making well-played Lights almost impossible to hit would be immensely frustrating to play against with a human opponent.

Personally I don't think balancing single player and MP is necessary. MP is already balanced through tonnage limits, so if this was just a SP-only thing that would work. OTOH lights running around acting crazy would be hilarious and likely encourage punching and machine guns.

Ravenfood posted:

Right. In theory, there are mission types that look like they're supposed to be quick-in, then rapid evac missions. Given how valuable salvage is, how the game is set-up, and how you get bonuses for killing off the enemy anyway, there's no reason to do anything but drop with everything and just treat it like a "battle" type instead of a really quick in-and-out.

Evacuation missions that give plenty of money but no salvage or bonuses for killing stuff could work. "You get paid to get her out. I don't care what's left when you do, all I care about is getting her out."

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I got a Banshee. What do I put in it?

Currently I maxed out medium lasers and machine guns and dubbed it "Head Hunter". I'm tempted to ditch the lasers and heatsinks and fill it full of punching mods instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Like if the actions of the pre-mission impacted the real mission, like take out these turrets before the generators come online and then you don't have to worry about them in the followup.

I like this idea :hmmyes:

It also forces you to field more than your core of four Mechwarriors, which is cool and good.