Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Al! posted:

are crash teams of armed paramedics a william gibson invention? theyre in a bunch of cyberpunk stuff and im beginning to believe the super rich already have them

There is references to services like this in Mona Lisa Overdrive as I recall. But yeah Shadowrun springs to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
"By way of deception, thou shalt do war"

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

eSports Chaebol posted:

it is illegal literally everywhere except the u.s. and, for some reason, new zealand

Direct advertising is legal here as a sop to the pharma industry as all our medicines are bought by a govt agency Pharmac, who uses bulk buying and generics to lower drug prices. Literally the only people buying the things shown on the ads are the very rich with private insurance. There are not very many ads here compared to US, mostly the non-critical stuff like dick pills.

Every so often the industry floats a story in the media about people being moved to generics as drug go out of patent and Karen is convinced it isn't the same. Big Pharma hates Pharmac.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

im on the net me boys posted:

The neonazi Twitter clone "gab" made a browser extension where their users can have their own comment box for any page on the net

Good. Scream into the echo chamber for all I care

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
And they did this because when they changed the engine to increase range and fuel efficiency, it caused the plane to nose up. Rather than fix these aerodynamics, which would basically mean a new chassis, the opposite of their intent, they fixed it with software.

Now the real crime is that the big red warning light for this issue which was known about was sold as an optional extra.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

univbee posted:

Canada's been doing something similar but I think the nuances are less bad.

If I'm not mistaken, they cover your medical school tuition and then for like 5 years following your graduation they choose which part of the country you practice out of (but I think you otherwise keep all your earnings). Helps to get doctors into underserved parts of the country.

No this is "we give you a loan and we take x% of your wages for y years. Planet money did an episode on it here: https://play.podtrac.com/npr-510289/npr.streaming.adswizz.com/anon.npr-mp3/npr/pmoney/2019/03/20190329_pmoney_pmpod903.mp3

If you are unemployed but looking for work your time counts down and I think you receive no garnishment. If you get a super highly paid job you can get out of it quicker. Rates and time differ by major.

Generally it is symptomatic but I can see it being better than student loans in your shithole country under some circumstances.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Coming from a country where a state-owned insurance company handles all cases where ability to work is affected by accidents, I can say this with authority: people lie about long term injury all the time. Usually these are middle class and white collar (white) folk with a "relationship with a doctor". ACC (the aforementioned insurance Co) occasionally leaks photos to the press of someone on long term compensation digging a drainage ditch in the rental property they own.

Doing due diligence on long term claims is fine imo, and this seems to only be picking the low-hanging fruit.

Although all these problems and more would be solved by a UBI.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Ok he is probably taking them back to be charged, to be fair.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

sincx posted:

Oh gently caress I misremembered

Oh well

Diamond Age was better anyways

Cryptonomicon/ Baroque cycle will always have my heart.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yeah but that is just to provide relief ;) from the pages on Van Eeck Phreaking and early modern financial theory

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Remulak posted:

Hi Calibre answer.

If this is a pun on a popular ebook manager, then well done

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

foobardog posted:

If I heard that ad correctly, they're also claiming this is more environmentally sustainable? Than easily recyclable glass?

Well you eat the packaging, so yeah

Edit: tho it is almost certainly double wrapped in plastic so...

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
A scanner darkly

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

dreamin of semen posted:

I'm not too sure about how bad it is the US, but in Aus the Domino's tracker is kinda concerning. Australia is a testbed for all of the Domino's dystopian pizza tech, for some stupid reason.

I will tell you why. It is because Domino's AU is the same company as Domino's NZ and New Zealand is THE country to test all your poo poo. Small, westernized, English speaking country.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The thing is he is right. I use taxis a fair bit and I fell in love with the Uber UX the moment I saw it. Where I am the taxi fleet was quite deregulized already and competition that was not quite as evil and retarded as Uber popped up and I use them almost exclusively now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
If people don't understand how he got elected in the first place then we will learn nothing

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Hodgepodge posted:

well, as mothers, they'd be sacred

what he is responding to is not the technology, but the vision the video resents, in which motherhood is removed from the human experience in order to facilitate capitalism. we can have the technology and not use it in a dystopian fashion

oddly enough this is a big theme in dune, and that accounts could be riffing on that or be totally authentic

Someone didn't read Chapterhouse: Dune

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
And converted to imperial smdh

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Chamale posted:

Has anyone written a novel yet where the Global South desperately tries this plan to stave off climate-change-induced crop failures, and America bombs the gently caress out of them to make them stop?

God I hate this term. It is invariably used by people who think the world just gets hotter the more south you go

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Coolness Averted posted:

It was also meant to sell toys to children, so I imagine it has the same authenticity as the Robocop cartoon

I watched it a long time ago. It would look pretty bad but not unwatchable. Now authenticity is an interesting word, it is closer to Heinlein then the movies were

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
ngl, datajacks have always been my favorite cyberpunk trope ever since my first game of shadowrun

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The Expanse isn't cyberpunk but it has a form of UBI called Basic. Most of Earth is on Basic, which covers a miserable lifestyle of bare subsistence that most people never escape from.

Also there are public lotteries to get education, real jobs (for the proles the elite ofc get a free pass) which are heavily promoted and the recipients constantly pointed too "see they did it just work harder"

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
It sounds like a test case. If NASA can buy rocks, they can sell them.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

MRC48B posted:

But in-person ballots are somehow immune from fraud, because?

Because it doesn't scale. One vote means absolutely nothing, only by systemic fraud can you affect an election.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
This is why any attempt to combat in person voter fraud with poo poo like id requirements is always actually about voter suppression. In person voting fraud doesn't scale. A conspiracy can only vote so many times in a day. The only contests where that few votes matter are going to be recounted and examined closely, at least where I am, recounts are basically automatic where the margin is small enough.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gold is actually useful as material. It doesn't rust, so good for jewelry and stuff, but also useful in electronics manufacturing.

Gold is valuable because it is relatively inert, dense and rare enough to be ideal as a storage material for wealth. Cultures old and new have had different solutions for physical representations of wealth, gold did a pretty good job of it, so it stuck around and spread.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

eSports Chaebol posted:

a Jesuit pope is one thing but an Orange Catholic pope is crazy

Beat me to it.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
It seems so obvious as to be a truism. Whats the old line "A lie has gone halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on".Controversial and toxic posts are naturally more engaging, to both sides of an argument.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Vox Nihili posted:

Do they get holiday pay? I could see people looking for 1.5x pay hours.

No you misunderstand. The store who wins is budgeted additional staff hours, so those employees are not quite so badly overworked.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

T-man posted:

"a world where you are judged by what you say and think not by what you look like a world where curiosity and imagination equals power" unironically sounds rad and should be approporiated by leftists.

god i miss the old internet and my old internet optimism. the eternal september ruined everything, let's go back to irc

I honestly believe that SA was and is peak posting. Any further and we get 4chan. Any less and it would fade into nothingness around the time everything got zucced

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Brain Curry posted:

there is a car in front of you. it is getting closer.

>slow down

there is a car in front of you. it is still getting closer.

>stop

you are unable to stop in time.

you are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

there is a small mailbox here.

>

YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE IS RISING

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

chairface posted:

it's kinda funny Shadowrun missed out on having a Shitposter archetype considering their expansion books in the 90s were printed as if they had messageboard commentary on em, replete with flamewars, fuckers doxxing each other and hilarious shitposting.

Don't need rules for that. I mean deckers are the archetype, and the fluff for them does talk about this, but in general you shouldn't print rules you don't need in pen and paper RPGs.

Mage the Ascension had a rote for Big Red Titles (I think they called it Branding) in either the Virtual Adept tradbook or the Virtual Web sourcebooks

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

StashAugustine posted:

Jeff Bezos getting laid is a price I'm willing to pay for The Expanse

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

lollontee posted:

I like The Expanse, good acting and it grows really big over time, even if it takes a bit of meandering to get into the payoff moment inside my Venus

It is quality escapism and raises interesting social questions and is scientifically sound, the only thing that we don't have (except for the One Big Lie) today is really efficient engines so we can travel directly to a place instead of using curves to conserve delta v.

This kinda poo poo is all that gets me through this poo poo life so I don't care who's vanity project it is.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Like, the one argument for the existence of the hyperrich that I can even engage with is that they can patronize the arts. TV and movies are the dominant popular art of our time, just because it is popular doesn't mean it is bad.

Shakespeare was "pop" in his time, in fact most of his work is based on pirated copies

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Volmarias posted:

Those of you who lust for more hard sci-fi concepts may find this site to be an extremely pro click. Ignore the fact that it looks like it was made for Geocities in 2000, and use the index all the way at the very bottom for navigation.

Rocketpunk best punk

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
So I am a bit of a contrarian, musically so I searched electro swing and it nearly ruined my day. However,

Tubgoat posted:

: Luckily, it slaps.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Tubgoat posted:

Oof. I'm glad to be quoted but I do not care for electro swing, lol.

No I was talking about the industrial band you were talking about

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

ekuNNN posted:

Can you really patent something that has been so overdone already in sci-fi stories? I'm guessing the actual patent is something technological?

I believe that a patent for a waterbed was denied due to 'prior art', being a reasonably detailed description by Robert Heinlein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Seriously nobody wears shoes in New Zealand. Jandals are our formal footwear