Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh.

Oh no.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Augus posted:

Pokemon!

Gotta catch 'em all, I guess.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zanzibar Ham posted:

As development continues, every update will, among bug fixes, added content and balanci-ahaha yeah right-, also remove a choice from the starter pokemons. One by one they'll take them away until only one pokeball remains in that giant room, the one containing...

(uhh, I actually don't know that much about pokemon so I don't know what would be the most hilarious choice here)

Luvdisc, maybe.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Dragonatrix posted:

Can't wake up.

wake me up insiiiiiide

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I like how they can claim to be challenging the players to figure out solutions instead of going with the obvious overpowered options, and yet whenever someone actually does figure out a new strategy the devs immediately patch it out because it wasn't the 'right' strategy.

Essentially if you're psychic and know exactly what they want you to do - and if the Dread God Arengee allows it - you can race through a very boring, very linear, railroady game checking off one box after another. If you're not psychic and/or lucky, you get to smash your head against an endless series of stone walls for hours on end until you either give up or stumble over the single remaining way to progress. Neither of these options requires any actual thought. Or enjoyment.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Robindaybird posted:

you could have an excitable peppy Electric Gym Leader being like a kid's Science Show Host

Clemont and his little sister Bonnie from Gen 6.

They were irritating.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Those diaries nearly killed me with second-hand embarrassment. The sheer cringe is awful, why would you actually make that level of writing public.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

RyuHimora posted:

Is anybody else weirded out by the completely out of place and not at all subtle security cameras that are obtrusive and everywhere?

How else will you know it's a futuristic dystopian hell? As written by someone who read a synopsis of 1984 once and doesn't remember anything other than being watched constantly?

These people can't even fix walls, I doubt the cameras work.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DeafNote posted:

I am beginning to wonder if the writers of this game have an issue with women.
Or with people in general.

...beginning?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Leraika posted:

It's a quote from Pride and Prejudice, wildly taken out of context.

I've bid adieu to several things while reading this clusterfuck, but I still possess vast quantities of both disappointment and spleen.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

KataraniSword posted:

Even at its "best", the game is actively hostile and expecting you to grind until you're 80 years old.

Just like real life! It's GRITTY REALISM and CLEVER SYMBOLISM and you whiny noobs just DON'T UNDERSTAND the GENIUS.

I would not be surprised if that was the actual reasoning. Slightly nauseated, but not surprised.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Onmi posted:

SO! Want to know the fun part about the Corey suicide? Well the person who created the character of Corey in their little RP circle, he actually did kill himself. So they thought it would be the best way to honour their friend by writing his suicide into their fan game. I've been clenching my teeth the entire time since people brought up characters dying.

You may have also noticed something important He did not give us the badge. This is not a "Delayed until we get it in a bit" like Clair or Whitney from GSC. We just flat out don't get the badge, gently caress you, go gently caress yourself, go fight another gym.

what the gently caress

what the actual gently caress

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hunt11 posted:

I guess this scene would have been better if we were allowed to start pummeling Fern the writers for being such a disgusting piece of poo poo.

fify

...god I hope the guy's daughter didn't see this.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Even worse, the game pretty much blames the daughter for it. It's Heather's 'ingratitude' that triggers Corey to go and jump.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I wonder what they're going to do to make this whole plot thread EVEN WORSE once they see our reactions. Because we all know it won't lead to any kind of moment of self-awareness and realisation that this is loving horrible and so are they, oh no. They'll somehow find a way to escalate it out of sheer spite. I have no idea how, since I'm not broken on a fundamental level the way they are, but if anyone can find a way they can.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Onmi posted:

Actually, it's decidedly not terrible.

Not terrible by Reborn standards, or actually not terrible and a very welcome relief to us all?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Re: Onmi's interview

Not good enough. It does explain some of the totally not spiteful at all honest decisions and updates, somewhat, but trying to force players to play the way you want them to will just make them hate you; people like choices. As for all the heavier stuff, not that there is anything whatsoever that could make it acceptable but that didn't come close as far as I'm concerned. Self deluding rationalisation, I think. (And the things spoiled for later are just... I have no words.)

Agree with KataraniSword about the red flags, too. :catstare:

Re: latest update

...well, no, we certainly didn't guess that would happen. I can't remember if the previous Reborn LP got this far, I feel like I've seen the 'ghost steals corpse for reasons' thing before but I have no context for the memory. Also what the gently caress is going on, this just got a billion shades stupider. Which is sadly a massive improvement.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Onmi posted:

She actually explains that the whole city setting wasn't ever her creation.

...that doesn't mean she had to use it. It's her game. Unless someone was holding her at gunpoint and insisting she use their random fan setting.

Then again, add me to the list of people unable to understand why you'd write a Pokemon game if you hate writing and all the Pokemon mechanics.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's the bridge that joins the gap between dark edginess and lolrandom humor. The bridge over the river kawaii

...I don't know how I feel about this.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Crosspeice posted:

:justpost:

Let's have LPs of all the Pokemon games!

You're only encouraging this so you won't have to do it :v:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Keldulas posted:

So I took a look at the archived Major/Minor LP cause I got curious when OFS said that game was much shittier than Reborn. And holy christ, that game is just loving incoherent. Reborn is bad because the people are insufferable or stupid, Major/Minor can't even remotely keep any sense of logic straight. I think I'm defeated here, I can't read that nonsense. Had to stop at the 2nd update.

If you can access it, read the original thread instead, everyone's reactions (and, uh, 'fan art') between updates make it a lot more tolerable. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. It was a lot of fun in a :psypop: kind of way, as long as you could turn part of your brain off. Yes, it is a completely lovely irredeemable game, but it didn't make me angry the way this does.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Onmi posted:

I assume at this point Raven is solely motivated over getting her drat fish.

It's not like the 'plot' is offering any other motivation. You should be trying to stop Team Meteor from... doing... something? They overclocked some Tangela and wanted a guy's ring, and poo poo. Of course even if you do stop them you'll still be living in a ruined dystopian hellscape full of edgelords, so it frankly makes more sense to let the bad guys nuke everything and start over. I've seen no reason to really care about any of this. Screw it, gimme my fish.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Onmi posted:

Pokemon always has you start where you live, except SuMo, which has you move there

So do Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and the remakes, and X/Y.

But yeah, the point is you're already living there and have some reason to give a poo poo. Raven's pretty much just killing time until they fix the train and she can leave. Why would she give a poo poo about this place? Why would the player? Nobody's saying 'hi neighbour, let's go challenge gyms together/beat up bad guys together', or 'hi friend let's challenge each other for fun'. You can't go back and see your Obligatory Stay-At-Home Mom to heal up and show her your new pokeymans. Random neighbours aren't calling you to tell you pointless trivia. You've got no house in this empty shithole of a city, no connection to the region, and nobody knows you.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

In the canon games you beat the Champion, credits roll, and you wake up at home in your own bed.

In this game I suspect you beat whatever the equivalent is, credits roll, and you wake up in an alleyway missing a kidney and your wallet.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Damanation posted:

We need a rival who is going through the same poo poo we are.

In this setting they'd need to be an ally, not a rival. Every single character and the landscape itself is currently an obstacle if not an outright threat.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think what annoys me most about Amethyst is the way she blames everyone else. 'It wasn't my decision! I don't like this setting! It used to be easier! I don't like this mechanic! I don't like this series! I don't even like this entire genre!' She acts as if someone once kidnapped her, chained her up, held a gun to her head and threatened her family. They forced her to join a fandom RP, forced her to turn it into a game and are now forcing her to make it more and more bullshit and offensive every time someone manages to wriggle around the stupid arbitrary restrictions.

As for what annoys me about the game (apart from the deeply offensive parts), it's that everything is compulsory. There is only one solution. You can't diversify because you have very few other options and they're all crap and won't get you past the various roadblocks. If people want a challenge they're quite capable of setting one themselves - see Nuzlocke, for example. People who think Pokemon is too easy can easily cripple themselves to make it as hard as they like. There's no need to force every single player to do it. That isn't fun, and it also means the game has absolutely no replay factor because why would you bother playing the game again when you have to use the exact same pokemon, movesets and strategies to progress? Once you've finally managed to figure out what you're 'supposed' to use, that's it.

(Well, why would you play it again anyway when it's lovely and awful, but that's by the by.)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Speaking of mistakes in pokefangames - I'm still just starting out with the plot for my fangame idea, and am looking at the starter selection. Now, someone said long ago that fangame makers shouldn't just put any pokemon as a starter and to look at intended starters, but does it matter which specifically I pick as long as I keep to the Grass/Fire/Water trifecta? I was thinking of all the starters being birbs (ie Owlet/Torchic/Piplup) for story reasons, but am wondering if that might be a bad idea for reasons I'd be ignorant of.

Also, is there a megathread for pokemon fangames to follow and ask further questions as they come up when/if I go further with the project?

It's a bad idea because I'm not too fond of birbs.

More seriously, I don't see any reason why the design would matter, as long as the typing, stats and movesets are balanced and work with the earlygame content. A lot of fangames tend to give you a 'choice' of three except only one is any good and the other two are almost unusable until you catch some other stuff. Using the trio you mentioned as an example, 9 out of 10 players are going to pick Torchic because Blaziken is OP. The other 1 will probably pick Rowlet. I like Empoleon but good lord is it a pain to use.

(also worth noting that only one of these three birds can fly in its final form. Not sure how that would affect your birb story.)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Dragonatrix posted:

I've had both Sun and Moon for like a year now and I still haven't quite gotten to the second Totem fight in Sun and have yet to even open Moon. :v:

Should probably get back to that sometime, really.

Same, honestly. I've started Sun several times and never got too far. I can't even remember where my most recent playthrough has stalled. I'll finish it eventually, but :effort:

It's not a bad game (except for the ENDLESS UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES and the vaguely unsettling Ditto-in-disguise blank smile of my avatar and the fact you can't chuck Rotomdex into the sea). It just doesn't suit my personal playstyle, it seems to be focused on nudging you to raise a wide variety of mons where I'm the type to coddle my six team members forever, and a lot of the new ones are types or designs that don't appeal to me personally so my choices are fairly limited. Except Rockruff who is best doggo.

ShootaBoy posted:

Yeah I really need to finish my copy of Moon... and also AS... :sweatdrop:

...oh yeah. I, uh. May also have an unfinished run of OR sitting around. It was never my favourite gen but I should at least finish the remake.

or I could just replay X or Platinum for the billionth time.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Schubalts posted:

Just say it's Welsh.

There's no X in Welsh. (Also that's too many vowels for a Welsh name :v:)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Really, Sheep, you have nobody to blame but yourself for this one. You knew going in that this game would damage you, and now it has. :allears:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The Skeleton King posted:

In reborn fashion, you shoot EVERYONE. Even the children get shot.

That would be a mercy. In TRUE Reborn fashion, you would make them stay alive to suffer.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I too think more detail is extremely necessary.

You haven't made enough mistakes yet.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Explopyro posted:

How do these keep getting worse? :psyduck:

In fairness, I guess the warning was specifically "don't play if you don't want to see black people", not "don't play if you're racist"?

I don't think there's really a difference.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Kurieg posted:

This is a Steel/Poison Luxray. Why?

No, this is someone's Original Character Do Not Steal. With Elvis' wig for some reason.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I am constantly baffled at the complete lack of shame.

Why would you be PROUD of this stupid, stupid bullshit? It's all boring, nonsensical and badly written, with moments ranging from creepy to utterly offensive. And if you're into slave/bestiality sex fantasies or whatever, why would you want everyone to know?

Just being not very good is one thing. Uranium is not a good game, but the devs obviously worked really hard on it, almost managed to avoid creepy edge fuckery, and there was actually stuff there to be proud of.

But this is... this is people choosing a fandom and franchise they clearly dislike purely because it gives them the easiest setting to show off their fetishes. The game is here as a framing device for their lovely self-inserts. It's a (bad) visual novel but instead of just pressing buttons to continue you have to struggle through stupid unbalanced fights to unlock the next piece of garbage 'story', that isn't a story so much as it is random people vomiting their inner secrets at you so you know to run screaming into the night should you ever meet any of them in person.

This is Major\Minor if Klace made you battle between scenes. Except M\M was a lot more honest about it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yapping Eevee posted:

Of course the thirsty Gardevoir was a moderator. :allears: It's great seeing how many people are apparently shocked and/or disturbed by this. (Maybe I'm just jaded to the ways of the Internet.)

Cumulative damage. Nothing here is particularly shocking or disturbing in a vacuum (except the suicide thing, maybe), but added all together, at some point the brain's protective walls just crumble under the pressure of this tidal wave of sewage.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yapping Eevee posted:

...You say that like people roleplaying as pokemon (digimon, ponies, furries, all sorts of fictional creatures) is an uncommon occurrence on the internet. :v: I'm honestly more surprised that apparently they were the one person playing a pokemon amongst all the human characters in the Reborn community.

True, but context is a thing, ya know? If I was for some reason reading a pokephilia fanfic, then fair enough. But outside that specific community, in a game theoretically meant to appeal to the whole fandom (except the filthy casuals who don't want to spend hours planning for a single fight, of course) and not just the perverts, it doesn't work.

Then again, I suppose it was remiss to think Reborn would miss out a single opportunity to be creepy somehow. I would say I want to see how this particular storyline ends, but I've learned that I never want to know how any storylines in this game end because it's always worse than I can imagine.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

What plot? :confused:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

EclecticTastes posted:

Pokemon Reborn: it hurts SO BAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zanzibar Ham posted:

*smug atheist college professor gets run over by a car*
Cool Good Christian Student: "Wow, what a moron. Did that dumb-wad really just let himself die without accepting Christ as his Lord and Savior?"

"Now the Devil's going to show up and turn him into a Pokemon, and we'll have to send his daughter to a purity camp for re-education."