Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I just stumbled across Dawid does tech stuff and I like his style
https://www.youtube.com/@DawidDoesTechStuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The spin will be great. I don't watch a ton of hardware review channels, but I do like GN and their reviews.

I hope that small waterblock company sues LTT for that absolute slimeball treatment. What a bunch of poo poo, assuming it's as has been reported.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

quote:

The thoroughness that we managed on our last handful of GPU videos is getting really incredible given the limited time we have for these embargoes. I'm REALLY excited about what the future will hold.
How do the other, far smaller outfits with less resources manage to do these incredible feats? :confused:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

quote:

With their production schedule, I doubt they could afford the man-hours.
Response to this general comment/defence that probably goes without saying, that's likely true, but their production schedule is totally their own creation. It's not like the Justin Trudeau is giving them a decree they need to publish X videos/week.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

lol thread title

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

I used to live near Broadway and Granville in Vancouver and that areas was like computer store nerd mecca. So many little shops all the way along Broadway and then a Future Shop too. Ahh I miss the days of actual B&M stores sometimes lol.

I do not miss going into a place and asking if they had specific DIMMs and they rummage in a drawer and come out with them with no bag or anything. Hmm.. no thanks.
[vancouver_memorylane_hijack]
Remember that second hand PC/junk store on Canada Way? That place was amazing. Literally old boxed software and hardware from the 80s just stashed in ~wherever~

That can't still be there can it?
[/hijack]

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

Canada Way whereabouts? Despite living in the lower mainland for nigh on 20 years there are still some areas where i have yet to have gone and possibly that's one of them.

I'm glad I don't know of it because I'd probably buy an amiga 500/600/1200 for too much if they had one and then never use it lol
Oh god, no I just realized, Grandview Highway, not Canada way. Somewhere between the Superstore and Naniamo if I had to guess.

They didn't have any Amiga poo poo IIRC (I would have totally gone broke) but they were absolutely littered with old XT/AT stuff from mid 80s on. Very little non "IBM" clone... but I do think I remember seeing the odd 8-bit and Atari ST item.

I'm going to have to do a Google street view to try and find where it was. I was last in there around 1998ish.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lister posted:

The best people that would know that or not are the people who work there. GN didn't get a quote from anybody who works there, even anonymously. I think that's a major blind spot in their reporting here.
The story is full of quotes from people that work there, including Linus himself. You don't need to further interview anyone if the story can be done with existing public statements.

The GN video is literally full of their own words. An "anonymous" interview from some no-name staffer would be less legit that what they actually did.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 16, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bondematt posted:

Well poo poo, guess I need to get a new mousepad.

Hell yeah https://store.gamersnexus.net/products/gn-red-black-hud-mouse-mat
Without going through the whole checkout process, does anyone know how GN handles shipping to :canada:? Are there any rip off courier fees like some or is it like straightforward mail or something?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Shipping is a bit on a pricey side. I just checked and 4 of the GN pint glasses were $20 shipping within the US and $50 shipping to Japan (where I live)
Thanks! I don't mind semi-reasonable courier/shipping charges in general (shipping in general just ain't cheap anymore), I just don't like surprises due after you've paid for it and shipping and the courier holds it ransom for some "customs processing fee" or something like that. DHL and UPS are known to do that. I'd like to buy something from GN :3:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cantide posted:

Not sure I would trust the account of someone who does this:

"I purposefully cut my leg open so badly I would have to go to the ER to get it stapled back together."

Just saying neither side is trustworthy without evidence one way or another
This is now ancient, but to give you a huge benefit of doubt, have you ever heard about how soldiers purposely injured/shot themselves to avoid worse trauma, like having to go to the front?

That doesn't mean they're nuts. It might be a perfectly sane thing to do in what is viewed to be an extreme situation.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So is his HR team that's going to do the investigating.... His wife?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Romes128 posted:

also Linus defaulting to HR investigating... HR is his wife. what a fuckin blowhard

the actual CEO gave the typical CEO response, which in this case wasn't "my wifes gonna look into it" and was a lot better than what linus said.

there's two statements in the Verge article. one from linus and one from the new CEO.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

He really needs to just shut the gently caress up.

He's literally like that crypto guy and trump. They can't help themselves.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Charles Leclerc posted:

I thought HR was Colton's wheelhouse? That's what is said in the "apology" video. Goons have latched on to this Yvonne being head of HR because it fits a certain narrative even though it hasn't been the case for quite a while.

It's not a defence of any kind, but if you're going to stroke over GN's quest for truth and ethics, at least pretend to follow it.

No idea personally, just parroting what I've heard here. I don't follow LTT other than what I've seen in this thread. If it's not his wife, mea culpa.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

lol
https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1691836337110884539

New CEO needs to physically separate Linus from all technology and only give him pieces of paper until further notice.
He literally just can't help himself. He's a toddler doing the marshmallow test.

Now would be a good time to take a vacation and leave all your devices at home.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Props to whoever it was a few hundred posts ago who made the comment about how if this was going by the playbook that big companies use they'd hire an outside investigator next.
They need to hire an professional image consultant (IE: damage control) firm to go full big corporate response.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Have any sponsors announced leaving?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

the talent deficit posted:

she's a tech influencer from china. she accused linus of trying to get her alone in his hotel room at a conference in taiwan or something a few years ago
https://www.hackingbutlegal.com/naomi-wu-and-the-silence-that-speaks-volumes/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

K8.0 posted:

Linus is a dink but just LOL if you think you wouldn't be at least 90% as bad if you stumbled into as much success as he has.
Counterpoint: Most people smart enough to start and run a successful large company probably know when to shut the gently caress up when every time they speak it does more harm than good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sigma posted:

Ok, but how about company founders and owners who name the business after themselves?
Narcissism is a bitch.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15t0hc4/some_of_you_really_be_like_this/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I know this was mentioned earlier but it bears repeating: HR is there to protect the company and its interest, not the employee, regardless if its in-house or 3rd party HR. Sometimes those interests might align to the complainant, often not.

I can only think protecting the company interests is doubly so if the HR department literally shares the bed with the head of the company.

Employers often have nepotism rules just for this reason. Even the optics of a potential conflict are something they need to stay away from in case something goes legal, this is right from the most basic local level to the international/HO level.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Charles Leclerc posted:

Third party HR is especially disappointing. They have an enshrined, contractual obligation to protect the company that is paying them.
But they're 3rd party, you see? They are unbiased!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone know if the youtube recommendation algorithm for others take into account if a bunch of people have ignore this channel selected?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jeff Fatwood posted:

lol the LTT channel is live streaming with chat in subscribers only mode
Well, that's a way to be as assured as possible of having a friendly, sympathetic audience.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mA posted:

Wow, is it legal in Canada for employers to prohibit employees from sharing salaries and wage info with their colleagues/peers?
That would be provincial jurisdiction (along with things like minimum wage, working hours, etc).

BC specifically has the PTA:

https://www.leg.bc.ca/parliamentary-business/legislation-debates-proceedings/42nd-parliament/4th-session/bills/first-reading/gov13-1

quote:

Prohibited reprisals by employers against employees

4 An employer must not dismiss, suspend, demote, discipline, harass or otherwise disadvantage an employee, or threaten to do so, because the employee

(a) made inquiries to the employer about the employee's pay,

(b) disclosed information about the employee's pay to another employee of the employer or to an individual who has applied for employment with the employer,

(c) made inquiries to the employer about a pay transparency report or information contained in a pay transparency report,

(d) asked the employer to comply with the employer's obligations under this Act, or

(e) made a report to the director in relation to the employer's compliance with the employer's obligations under this Act.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Triikan posted:

Is this the "I thought turkeys could fly" show?
Yes!
I also like the one where the cop came on to show how alcohol slowed reactions so driving impaired was dangerous, so Johnny and Venus just got hammered on the air and fevers reaction speed increased each time the cop tested him.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

SpartanIvy posted:

Linus is just a big Dale Earnhardt fan

I'd say Eric Lindros

I (middle aged white guy) literally had no idea what this whole 88 dogwhistle thing is until I read about it. I always just thought 88 it was some appropriation of the asian "88" good luck # (or whatever it is) until the last few months.

But then again, I'm an idiot.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

Lol I advise no one look at real estate prices in lower mainland BC. They all really love hitler!!
lol

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Have they lost any sponsors?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bondematt posted:

Mini splits are heat pumps...

Edit: for most installs they are more efficient as well, since you remove the ducting losses and each room gets exactly the cooling it needs directly.

Much easier to insulate a small coolant line than a large air duct.

DP: Seriously, why is anyone sholling for central air cooling? It only exists since we had furnace setups from the word go.

Reversible(Heating & Cooling) mini splits are the future, gently caress central air.
How do you use a mini unit in an interior room with no exterior walls?

Central AC units are basically heatpumps too, they just run in the one direction.

The good thing about so many people having central AC is that as heatpumps get better and better they can be fitted into the majority of homes that already have AC.

And potentially still use the furnace as a back-up if it gets truly nut-shrinking cold when the heat pump doesn't work well (as of now).

Good video on heat pumps. This guy must be a goon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mobby_6kl posted:

You pipe the coolant through the walls or attic or something. Are there many windowless rooms that need their own AC in a normal house?
Hallways, bathrooms, etc but yeah that makes total sense.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

Man I hate crappy tire. Why do all the aisles have to be a foot wide. And everything they sell is utter trash
I literally prefer princess auto over crappy tire. At least Princess Auto doesn't try to play the illusion of patriotism by wrapping the finest slave labor, overpriced chinese made crap in a the Canadian flag like Canadian Tire.

Princess at least unabashedly goes "Yeah, it's off shore cheap poo poo. You know you want it you cheap fucker."

And we do :(

e: I mean, walmart probably has more made in :canada: stuff in it than they do.

CBD Corndog posted:

Tim Hortons loving sucks and letting a corpo become our national icon is shameful
How in hell it got as popular as it has is a total mystery to me. Although I will admit, Tim Hortons chili at 3AM being pissed out of your mind but starving tastes way better than it really should.

When I went to Nova Scotia last year I was shocked at the number of them. Every town with 500 people seemed to have a Tim Hortons. And if not a Tim Hortons, some other wannabe facsimile chain just like it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 24, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Coffee Jones posted:

The first thing he calls out is a “Never missed an upload in ten years” mentality - so, yes, of course that was completely at odds with correctness
Similar logic as never calling in sick to work/school whatever for 10 years.

So what you're really saying is you went to work/school sick and got others sick. Multiple times. Brag it up :thumbsup:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm just thankful that for most of my working life, I've never had to do any of the "mandatory fun" stuff where you're told you have to associate with your coworkers outside of work. Even when I was in the military there weren't any of those stupid activities or things we were made to do (or at least, I was lucky enough not to have had any thrust upon me). And like one poster said previously, if I did hang out with coworkers outside of work (regardless of whatever job I had), it was usually voluntary and involving alcohol, which is a fancy way of saying "a bunch of us went to the bar after work".

E: also I couldn't imagine being told I had to hang out with someone like Linus or James after work

E2: after some thinking on it, I think the only time I was ever "asked" to associate with any of my coworkers after work, was when I was in the service and over in the UK, and we had a new guy who had a penchant for showing up back at base late at night, with black eyes or busted lips (which the guards on the main gate were duty-bound to report). The NCO that was over us asked me to go off base with him and see what was going on, because he didn't want to just turf the new guy out if he could possibly help it. Turned out the guy was a stone alcoholic who would get completely sloshed (he'd be half-drunk even before leaving the base) and then pick fights with locals. While I did feel like an informer when I told our NCO about what I'd seen, it also led to him admitting he had an alcohol problem and entering a rehab program, so at least some good did come out of it.
I used to not mind that stuff, but as I get older and stuff gets more "mandatory" I'm becoming very jaded with it.

I pretty much avoid all evening activities now because even if they say it's "expected" they cannot force me on my own time if I'm going to be miserable.

We had a meeting out of town a couple months ago and the main VP for our area was making reservations for dinner and drinks in the evening and I told him I won't be joining them. I like my coworkers, I do not care for him. Instead I found a sister martial arts club 30 minutes away that I trained at so I went there instead for a couple hours. I would rather literally risk getting kicked in the face than spend the evening with work talk.

This past spring we had a big corporate meeting out of the country that we were all expected to attend. I was totally going to go, but when confirming and booking the tickets, for the first time we had to sign a waiver a mile long which I'm sure most people gloss over. But I read it. It gave 100% full indemnity to the company by myself and heirs in case of literally anything happening.

So I refused. My manager wasn't happy, but to his credit when I told him why he understood (surprise, he didn't read it either).

Word got to the president of the company (we are a large multi billion $$ company) so he emailed me asking if I was planning to go. I said "unfortunately, not as of now. However if you remove the waiver requirement and I'll absolutely go" and he said he can't, the waiver needs to stay. So I told him I'm staying then too.

I still have a job. gently caress this forced on your own time stuff and freeing the company of all responsibility and what have you done for me lately, hustle culture "but look how fun we are" attitude.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

VictualSquid posted:

Are there any good dumb comedy focused tech channels? No longer watching Linus' jank videos is leaving a hole in my watching habits.
Dawid does tech stuff has a style I like. He's not obnoxious and annoying and it's a 1 man show (on camera at least).

https://www.youtube.com/@DawidDoesTechStuff

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

TheOneVader posted:

As someone who used to watch all of LTT's videos, as well as Doug DeMuro, I always skipped LTT's car reviews. Why would I care about Linus's opinion on the Corolla? He's not a car expert, this isn't a car channel. It felt like a weird stretch for their content.
Wait, LTT actually does car reviews? I thought that was a joke. Why would anyone care what he thinks about cars.

That said, I would however watch Jeremy Clarkson review computer hardware.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, but that's not why they benchmark. GN doesn't give a gently caress about the game, they're using it to compare the hardware. That's why poo poo like CS:GO is still in their suite, and why they just now added Stellaris (which is hilariously good at being a single thread processor benchmark)

Speaking of, do we know yet if Starfield is good at utilizing multi core or is it also hilariously single threaded too?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rinkles posted:

"waste of sand"

yes, different memory speeds, but would that make that big a difference?

Huh. I'm still on a 9900K with a 3090.. but I am using 3200. Guess we'll find out. Been looking to upgrade but not there quite yet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

I don’t really think space games should count tbh. Just curated land/sea maps.
Is there an RPG/action game that is a large, randomly generated area and not hand crafted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jeffreyw posted:

I remember him having the audacity to claim he wasn’t offering a warranty because it meant his company would be legally bound to honour it. Which meant his family would be on the hook to honour the warranty of his products if he passes away overnight.
Assuming that's accurate, even he can't be so dense as to not know what being incorporated does for liability.

And assuming he isn't, he assumes people interested in buying his poo poo and listen to him vomit nonsense like that are.