Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Argue posted:

Is... Is Star Allies deep? I avoided it because Robobot, while really dope in terms of movesets, was too easy to justify Kirby having so many options at his disposal. Are things with Star Allies different? I keep seeing updates for it and I wonder if there's really so much game or challenge to digest that you'd have the time to cycle through a jillion characters.

Up until the latest update, I'd have said that you'd have that same issue.

Then I got to the new extra mode and the new bosses within. Specifically, the three Mage Sisters at once.

I haven't encountered a Kirby boss that made me wish I had another human player to back me up since I first played Super Star.

When I was like six or seven.

I was telling some friends that Star Allies has some amazing abilities and mechanics that really want some punishing challenge to use them on. I now kind of regret opening my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

It was Dreamland 3, good eye. What games should I try out?

Super Star, Adventure, or anything from Return to Dreamland and after.

KDL2, 3, and Kirby 64 have a more deliberate feel compared to the action based gameplay of Super Star and its successors.

For a comparison: both games have abilities. Dream Land 3 has eight abilities and six buddies, for 56 combinations (including Kirby alone). Each of these abilities does about the same damage and varies mostly in how they're used and what puzzles they solve.

Super Star has 17 real abilities. Each has four or more moves to use, and all have their own damage, i-frames, and behavior. There are even complexity levels: where everything in Dream Land 3 is equally complex, in Super Star there's a clear distinction between "easy" abilities like Beam, Sword, and Plasma (which are easy to pick up and use well) and "hard" abilities like Suplex, Jet, and Mirror (which have strengths that may not be as apparent or are harder to leverage). There's a lot of depth to explore.

Plus, once you get to RtDL and later, you even get optional challenges that push you to explore this depth.

But play Super Star.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Unless they went and pulled it for some reason, the best way to figure out if Octopath is worth your time is to play the demo. It never really tries to be more than it presents itself to be at the starts, which can be really bad for people who are used to, say, starting off as a mercenary ecoterrorist and later contending with a mind altering malevolent alien.

It's really good for everyone who wasn't a fan of Bravely Default's story and gameplay swerves.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Is Octopath any good?

Play the demo or check out the ongoing LP. Octopath is exactly what it presents itself as, and the basic gameplay loop of story -> short dungeon -> boss -> story -> go somewhere for next story is one that never changes or gets evolved upon too much (bosses aside).

If one chapter seems like it's exactly the game for you, then the rest of it likely will be, and if one chapter bores you then likely the rest of the game will too. Octopath Traveler is not a game that changes much in its fundamental appeal; there is, for better or worse, no point where it "gets really good", just where it gives you more of itself.

Personally, I found this fantastic: the pacing and structure mean you know exactly what you'll get every time you play. How much that matters to you is your call.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
My roommate is looking into getting a Switch of his own so he doesn't have to be miserable when I take our Smash Bros. machine out of town.

Are there any cool deals/bundles I'm overlooking out there or is it just "hey, go get a switch"

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

AlphaKeny1 posted:

it's just weird to some people that you haven't been exposed to any popular culture whatsoever in the past 10 years.

There's a difference between being exposed and actually taking in that information. Like I might read or hear someone's in some movie or other but it's going to get forgotten in like ten minutes unless that information is actually something I care about because I watch about five movies a year.

Not recalling every bit of data that you're exposed to regardless its relevance or your interests isn't being some weirdo who lives under a rock, it's called being human.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Light and Dark themes take less than a kilobyte to implement, just adjusting some hex values. Music and image files are way more ram-heavy and therefore would impinge on SwitchOS's extreme speed.

Yeah but we don't even have the color scheme options past light/dark. Where's my Mario Red or my Luigi Green or my Peach Pink themes?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

loudog999 posted:

Will someone give a quick rundown of FF XII? I've only really completed 6,7, and 8 and have played a fair amount of the newer online one. I know that's it's really different than the old ones but if I enjoyed what I played of the MMO will I like this one?

FF12 is really weird in a lot of ways. The combat isn't really like FF14; rather, I'd say it's more like FF4-9 but with simple AI scripts you can write. The structure, however, does feel a bit more like an MMO. I'd actually say it's like some weird combination of a Dragon Quest game and an MMO, especially in two ways:

First, after a certain point (once you have all six party members), the game just starts telling you to go to some place halfway across the world and it's up to you if you want to explore the ten million side paths (obvious and not) on the way.

Two, you'll never have enough money. This was true in the original, and it's even worse in all the versions thereafter: not only are there a million more Gambit triggers (the aforementioned AI scripts) and they're all available from the start, but also the Zodiac Job system soft encourages you to use and outfit six party members, not just three.

But you wanted to know if you'd like it. So, in no particular order, here are the Five Biggest Things To Know About Final Fantasy 12. If none of these sound like major issues to you, you'll likely enjoy FF12.

1) It has a very different story pace and feel than other FF games; the obvious exception being Tactics. If you loved the FFT story (and I don't just mean understand it but actively love it) you'll be highly likely to enjoy FF12's, as there's many of the same themes but you've got an actual cast of characters on the player's end.

2) The primary viewpoint character is the second least important character in the overall story, tied with bunny-girl Chewbacca. He's fine enough but "inoffensive" is at the higher end of what one can say about Vaan. What makes things worse is that...

3) ...the three actually important characters (Ashe, Basch, and Balthier) are all geniunely well written and interesting characters and so the start of the story can be a real drag when you're stuck with Vaan and Penelo and their relatively less compelling narratives.

4) A well composed set of Gambits can handle most every situation for you, which has led to complaints of "the game playing itself". I'm personally of the opinion that this just tilts the gameplay burden from mindless rote execution (cast Fire on fire weak enemies, heal when low, etc.) to broader level strategic planning (which licenses do I get, what do I equip people with, who do I put into this fight and when) as well as making you have to consider when to break from your planned Gambit script, but nevertheless: if you feel there's a significant and meaningful difference between putting a line in a script for a character to cast Cure when someone is under 50% HP and manually casting Cure when someone is under 50% HP, then you're going to have a bad time.

5) The voices were recorded in a cramped submarine off the coast of Alaska during a blizzard. More seriously, the compression done to have the game's (very extensive and well acted) dialogue fit on a PS2 disc can sound pretty bad at times, and they either didn't have the source recordings anymore or had decided to do the initial recordings on an old Soundblaster that was on fire most of the time. It's really not that bad, overall, but some of the worst cases come from, say, soldiers decked out in full armor where the compression combined with the "I'm in a suit of armor" effect multiplies into something really grating, and there's a lot more of that early on.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I had a feeling someone would say this, which is why I added "for me" :shobon: My favorite thing in the world is job systems like FFV (or the best Final Fantasy game, Bravely Default) so I just can't help but compare it to that.

This right here is why you don't like it like FF12 having a job system might imply.

FF12's job system is more like Final Fantasy 1. It's not about mixing and matching all these combinations. Rather, the idea is to make a number of immutable decisions about your future options, weighing power versus versatility. Yes, Black Magic and White Magic aren't entirely exclusive to their jobs. But that's a choice: you can get a full White Magic caster in the White Mage, or you can get a small sampling in Knight or Monk, but it comes later, has less power and MP, and doesn't get every option. In exchange you get more durability, physical power, and other factors.

Trying to play FF12 like FFV or Tactics will be disappointing, as you've discovered. You've got to play it like FF1, and that is something that isn't for everyone.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Castor Poe posted:

Love Super Metroid to death, but that part is some Simon Quest "Go to the cemetery equip the red crystal and kneel for 40 seconds for the tornado to spawn and take you to Dracula's castle" poo poo.

I'm pretty sure the "intended" route of discovery is this: after getting the Gravity Suit, you proceed through the rest of the Wrecked Ship (since you're not blocked from it anymore and into Maridia. You're actually pretty constrained in that section of Maridia since you can't go east from the quicksand room and can't get up to the Plasma Beam room (not that it would be unlocked anyway). You can, however, hit the vertical tunnel that warps you through like five rooms. This brings you to the bottom section of Maridia near Brinstar, and from there you have two directions: east to the Spring Ball room (where you'll be blocked since you can't fly and even if you did pay attention to the Etecoons you get a neat upgrade; but not one that actually helps you progress) or west towards Brinstar. At that point you'll pass through a room with a broken version of the glass tube you passed through way back when. Continuing on you run into a green gate blocking you, showing you that there is clearly Something behind it and that Something is just above the Maridia tube. At this point you'll probably start X-Raying everything or just notice the crabs in the broken tube room and go through the floor there; at which point you're rewarded with the Map Room (the room you normally see very soon after entering a new area for the first time) and a shortcut back to the Maridia tube near Brinstar.

In summary, you're organically directed to see all these possible routes into Maridia that you can't get to because they're locked or they look like you need to fly. You're then brought to a tantalizingly unique room that looks like a room you were in earlier and oh it's also like eight screens away from it. You're also placed on the other side of a one way gate that clearly leads from a room that is right above this seemingly impassable tube. Finally, you're led by the nose to the Map Room, which is only ever placed right by the entrance to an area but suspiciously wasn't near the Wrecked Ship elevator. The game directs you to the Maridia Tube as "hey, look, this is literally the only way you can go, and I'm showing you this tube can be broken". At that point you've only got four things to shoot at it and only one that you didn't have when you first came this way, and at that point you'd have to actively try not to Power Bomb it.

The trouble arises if you "know" that Maridia is your next destination for one reason or another but not actually how to get there. If you ignore the entire back half of the Wrecked Ship and just go straight back to Brinstar it'll feel like a crazy case of Metal Gear-esque moon logic, where the answer to a puzzle is given to you in the title screen demo. But if you just literally play Super Metroid and go to where your new gear lets you access (like you've done the entire rest of the game) you're handed the answer with just enough obfuscation to make you feel clever for figuring it out.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Why would XIV be harder than XV? They've already adapted it to controllers haven't they?

It's not the controller part. It's the technically demanding graphics and spaghetti code part.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Also let's play a MMO with timing components through the Switch's WiFi chip.

To be fair most content in FF14 is plenty playable on a mildly laggy wifi connection. Not saying there would be no issues but as far as problems go it's an inconvenience in comparison to the other hurdles.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Anything I should know about Trials of Mana before I play? Does it matter which character I pick?

All parties are viable, though if you pick Angela or Charlotte as your first character, don't pick the other as the second. Third is fine, but not second: your first two characters have to take on the first boss on their own and that can be painful for the two spellcasters before they get spells (which they won't until that boss is dead).

Your first chosen character dictates which of the three villain groups takes center stage, but other than that and the above it doesn't matter who you choose for what slot.

Pick whatever seems best for level ups as long as it isn't Luck: the obvious choices are probably right.

Don't listen to GameFAQs guides on how to class change your characters. Not only can their assessments be kind of trash but most discussion focuses on final class change theory crafting when you spend far more of the game in your first and second classes.

Have fun.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

There is a jump while ball item in the game that should allow you to get in there without mastering the mid air to ball move

There's no way the Spring Ball works for that because that would involve the Spring Ball being useful.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If it's what I think it is, Bubbles, little pink things with a skull in the middle and 4 small orbs that rotate around it, then once you get the Magic Powder, you can carefully hit them with it and they will also become fairies.

But also those ones are special and this doesn't work on them (it might after they start moving, but not before).

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Dragon Quest 11 people, you realize you can swap out characters mid battle right? That makes most boss fights a ton easier. Doesn't even cost a turn, the swap in just takes the turn of the person you swap out

More specifically, DQ11 combat is divided into rounds. Swapping someone out costs their turn that round. You'll know if someone can still act in the current round because their nameplate on the side will have a translucent background.

However, you can swap out people who've already had their turn that round with no cost. Say you've got Sylvando on the backlines and want to swap out Erik. Erik can take his turn (and he's usually pretty early thanks to his agility), and then on the Hero's/Serena's/Veronica's turn you can swap him out and Sylvando, and so not lose any turns at all.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Lazy_Liberal posted:

love playing fire emblem on my phone whilst i poo poo on company time

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I roll on the latest banner on company time?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ouhei posted:

So I'm about at the end of the "normal story" of DQ11, I'm aware that there's a post game story, but I've also heard the difficulty ratchets up a bit. I don't really feel like grinding my rear end off to do this post game stuff, am I going to have to? My characters are all 46-48 and I'm in the middle of the last dungeon.

One of the things I've enjoyed about the game is that I haven't had to grind out levels, just made sure to fight some monsters along the way to any given thing and it's worked out fine. If I'm gonna have to juice a bunch of levels for the post-game I may just skip it.

The best way to think of it is like Chrono Trigger's endgame. You've got a bunch of nominally optional side quests and things to do that develop more of the story and characters and coincidentally give you the last bunch of levels you'd need for the finale.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

imo part of the problem is that you need the skill to lower them equipped. the encounter rate feels normal... if you have that on. but this is a game that will drop bosses on you without warning, and skill space is very limited premium, so making the player dedicate a slot to Making The Encounter Rate Not Terrible when it cripples you in any fight that isn't trash mobs is a huge loving mistake.

After doing one chapter you know exactly how the other 31 chapters are going to drop bosses on you so I'm not really sure how you can say the game drops bosses on you without warning.

Also no you are not crippled if you forget to switch a skill slot from Evasive Maneuvers to whatever else is left. Even in the super crazy optimized endgame setups not having the least valuable of your four skills equipped on a single character is not going to be the deciding factor except maybe against the actual Final Bonus Boss and even then, no, it's not going to matter.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

i always optimize my loadout, bosses have hundreds of thousands of HP and break damage limit is an equip skill :psyduck:

stacking those 25% damage boosts adds up man

also i've totally walked into various bosses in regular random dungeons without much warning, that doesn't feel bad at all no

You're not gonna wipe because someone has Evasive Maneuvers over Surpassing Power or any other skill on any story boss in the game and non story dungeon bosses always give a prompt saying "hey there's danger ahead do you want to proceed" which is literally the opposite of not having warning. Stop being hyperbolic.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Flubby posted:

I've been making my way through Dragon Quest XI. It's awesome. I liked 8 and am loving 11. But I ran into something I'd not ever seen mentioned. Her name is Veronica and...is she one of those? You know, those things. I'm anime-aware, but I've somehow never run into this for real. Someone tell me how to feel about this grown woman in a child's body. Does this get uncomfortable? Can I enjoy my colorful, happy grind game guilt free?

Veronica is never handled badly, and her being stuck in a younger body is never presented as anything other than an annoyance for her as people treat her like a child. You have nothing to worry about.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A super minor request, but there's a pokemon thread, right? Can.... can the 18 pages of live-posting happen there, maybe? I'm happy that all of you pokemon fans get this just for you, but hoooly poo poo, there are quite a number of goons ITT who couldn't care less about the franchise, myself included. Discuss it afterwards, sure, but the live posting is pretty pointless even when it DOES concern most people in the thread.

I promise that if there ever is a Super Mario Maker 2 direct (I wish :negative:), and I live-post about it, I'll do it in that thread.

You seem to be under the impression Pokemon directs announce anything interesting.

70% of the time is spent on them saying "Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield" and such instead of "Sword and Shield" like sensible people.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Montalvo posted:

Hey how do I stop sucking at Into the Breach?

So this is from a few pages back but like hell I'm going to let that stop me from procrastinating at work on a Friday.

Into the Breach is a turn based tactical strategy game. I mean, duh, right? Well, the absolute biggest thing you can do in a game like that is maximize your action efficiency.

Lemme explain.

So every turn on a typical mission, you have three mechs. Each mech can move and take an action. You win a mission by keeping your grid power safe until the turn limit is done. That last bit is real important to keep in mind: killing Vec is a means to that end, not the primary goal in and of itself. So your goal is to use those three moves and three actions in order to stop as much damage as possible. You do this in two ways.

First of all, effectively using your actions. I'm going to talk about everything here in terms of the Rift Walkers and their default weaponry. Not just because they're the default, but as it turns out they're really drat good at the fundamentals of the game (if you bought no other weapons and just put reactor cores in their starting kit you'd have smooth sailing for sure).
So, to effectively use your actions, I mean to maximize their use. Have your Artillery Mech push multiple things out of the way. Have the Combat or Cannon Mech shoot enemies into the path of other enemies. That sort of thing.

This first principle is what everyone sees when they play Into the Breach, and the turn-by-turn puzzles of how to accomplish the best results are very compelling. If you've ever gone over a turn like it's a demonic Professor Layton puzzle, sure that there's some way you can mix and match these pieces in order to get everything you want, that's you trying to effectively use your actions. Thing is, if you stop your thinking here, that's only half the game. You don't expect to win when you're only playing half the game, right?

The second way to utilize your resources is through target opportunity. In other words, you need to maximize your options for a given turn.

That's a bit hard though, isn't it? I mean, once a turn starts, you can't rewind to before that. How do you maximize your options on a turn? Well, it turns out that this is a bit of a problem. If you only ever think "how do I solve the current turn?" then you'll get yourself worked into some pretty terrible turns because you can't solve all the problems at your disposal. In other words, you know how each mech has a move and an action? Your move isn't just what you use to get yourself in place to use your action. It's what you use to get yourself in place for all future actions. Additionally, Vek (fliers aside) can't move past you. So clever movement not just widens your possible targets, but limits the enemy's choice of targets.

Put another way, if the Vek can only get to one city, your job is much easier. Of course, it's one thing to say that. How do we put this into action? Well, to do this, we're going to look at the three Rift Walkers and their capabilities.

The Combat Mech has three movement and a melee attack. This means you want to give it access to as many tiles as possible. Put it out front and keep it out front, because if it gets locked into a corner you've got issues. The Titan Fist can be upgraded to give it a dash punch ability, allowing it range similar to that of the Cannon Mech. However, since you still physically dash over, you need to be aware of where you're ending up so you can still be useful on future turns.

The Cannon Mech also has three movement but has a ranged attack. This would lead you to believe it should stay farther from the enemy, right?

Wrong.

The way to look at direct ranged attacks is not "oh I should be far away". It's "oh, I can be far away". The Cannon Mech can mix it up at both melee and range. There's a reason its class is "brute" and not "ranged": it has no issue getting up close and personal. Still, it can attack at range, so the best way to move it is a bit different than the Combat Mech. Instead of thinking "how many tiles can I access", you want to place it with an eye for "how many firing lines can I access?". It's okay if it can't physically get to many tiles if it's got a clear shot down loads of tiles, and this can help keep it out of the way of your Combat Mech.

Finally, the Artillery Mech also has three movement and a ranged attack, but this ranged attack can't hit adjacent. So, in a way, you do want to be farhter away, but once again, we need to think in terms of the weapon. For the Artillery Mech, you want to maximize the number of useful tiles you can hit. Often, this means setting up on some sort of back line that allows free movement back and forth. That's not always the case, though, and being more central can often let you access more useful tiles to shoot.

There's another wrinkle to that. The Artemis Artillery has an upgrade to let it shoot building tiles without damaging them. This is hugely powerful and allows you to push melee enemies directly away from buildings without issue. With this upgrade, building tiles no longer become obstacles but are instead useful tiles to shoot at themselves, and so the calculus changes.

So we've figured out how to move people, right? Keep the Combat Mech accessing as many tiles as possible, the Cannon Mech as many firing lines as possible, and the Artillery Mech as many useful targets as possible.

Well, there's one more thing. Vek spawns. Blocking spawns is hugely powerful. Even if you just block a spawn point for one turn, that's one less turn for that enemy to harass you. If you can block a spawn and not have to move, you can block it on the subsequent turn, too. Of course, most spawn points are farther from buildings, so how do you block a spawn point and still hit the Vek?

Well, now you know why it's a mistake to keep your ranged units as far away as possible. Sometimes you'll get lucky and can punch a Firefly over and get to block a spawn, but most of the time your best spawn blocking is done by the Cannon and Artillery Mech. As a bonus, if you have fewer enemies you deal with, you can spend an action repairing safely...which lets you block a spawn point some more. This is how good play on the first couple of rounds can snowball into an easy win...and poor play on the first couple of rounds can snowball into a crushing defeat.

To that end, I'm going to briefly discuss starting positions. With what I've said about movement, you can probably guess how to place your units, but you also want to keep in mind what the enemies can do. Once you've played a while you can get a sense for what the enemy will probably do, but there's one really important thing to keep in mind.

Webs.

Scorpions and Leapers are a novice's worst enemy. They restrict your movement and, in the case of the latter, very quickly kill a mech. When selecting an island you can see what enemies will be there, but rest assured you're going to have to deal with one or the other (never both at the same time). At the start of a mission, for any Scorpions or Leapers on the map, click on them and look at their movement range. You definitely don't want your Artillery Mech to on or next to any of the highlighted tiles. Your Combat and Cannon Mechs can handle, but I'd recommend placing yourself so only one is in range. Why? Because then you know your other two have unimpeded movement. It's almost a sure bet the Scorpion or Leaper will try and web the one mech they can get to, so take advantage of that for an easy kill on an annoying enemy.

Which gets me to my final point: know your enemies. Oh, I don't mean you need to recognize every single sprite and nuance. Rather, recognize what the easiest and hardest enemies to deal with are. Most notably, I find Fireflies to be the easiest type of enemy. Because they fire a shot (like the Cannon Mech) as opposed to doing a melee attack (like the Combat Mech), it's easy to block their shots with your own mechs (or better yet, an enemy). Correspondingly, Hornets can be hard to deal with. Despite their lower HP, they can work themselves into positions where they're hard to kill, and their melee attacks mean you can't just bodyblock the hit. For a team like the Rift Walkers, Scarabs are pretty easy because Scarabs are hilariously vulnerable to pushing messing up their attacks (other teams don't always have as much fun with them). Meanwhile, because the Rift Walkers are so dependent on proper positioning, Scorpions and Leapers can really ruin their day, and you should always be ready if you've left someone within three tiles of multiple spawn points.

I mention all this because you have three actions and sometimes more than three enemies to kill. Deciding what to leave alive for the next turn can make a massive difference.

Oh, and one more note for the road: new weapons are flashy but just shoving cores into movement and damage boosts can get the job done just as well. Still, new weapons can be especially good if they don't require any power. An Air Strike or Smoke Bomb might seem weak and one use per fight underwhelming, but remember: target opportunity. Being able to mess with any tile on the board is a lot more valuable than it seems. I don't mean to never buy or equip new weapons: just that this isn't a game where you're trying to evolve past your starting kit; you want to work with it instead.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, this is good stuff. There's so much more involved with this game, other than 'just hit them until they die'. For me, I had to get over the whole 'let them damage me to save a city thing' at first, but it didn't take long for that to make a lot of sense. You get healed between fights, but you'll be missing that power going forward.

It's definitely a mental hurdle to get over. For a lot of strategy games, the primary objective is a goal you float just over the threshold for while you try to maximize your secondary objectives. For Into the Breach, you can't really do that: sacrificing one or two grid points for an bonus objective or to keep your mech alive might be worth it (because your gains from a perfect island/what you'd have bought/your mech being alive to take actions in the upcoming rounds make up for it), but not always and almost certainly any more than that is explicitly walking down the path to a loss. If you're used to thinking in "the only life point that matters is the last" terms and consider the extra grid points above that a resource to be spent on tactically letting enemies get through then you'll get your face slammed by bugs on a future island because you've got five threats hitting five cities and now you don't have a cushion to work with.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there a way to check the health of an sd card without reformatting it? My Switch has been locking up a bit lately and I’m starting to think that’s the culprit.

Pick a game on your SD card that has been acting up. Remove the SD card and redownload that game onto your internal storage. See if you still have a problem.

For me, this was Xenoblade 2, where I realized something was wrong when a certain dramatic cutscenes involving a temporary party member locked up in places and eventually had the audio and video desynch, among a number of much smaller issues that were still noticably caused by issues loading from storage.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, so normally we need to grind through each cigarette at a rate of about one per ten minutes over several years. But with this strat we're just gonna caaaarefully hold the entire box's contents in one hand and light them all at the same time to puff away. Repeating this will get us from healthy to cancerous lungs much quicker, but it's very risk-reward on being able to get ourselves healthy from there for the big experience gains in as short amount of time as possible without dying spontaneously from a heart attack.

Aaaand, the diagnosis is inoperably terminal in both lungs. Fantastic, this is just what we want! Normally we'd have to roll dice on the transplant path and see if the RNG decided to find a donor before our HP drain outpaces the medicine and life-support buffs, but there's a quicker path on this route. You see, this is why we kept spending all our social time with that one cousin instead of our friends; They're compatible for transplant organs as a backup in case we screw up on any route we take in this game aaaand we just cleared the social check to get them to offer us a lung. We'll be back on our feet and net some tidy social and EXP boosts out of doing it this way rather than living a healthy life in the same timeframe.

Now you'll notice we haven't picked up a marital partner yet in this run, and rather than mucking about in the dating sidegames, I've been using the limited social time slots to flirt with the attending nurse thanks to the empathy bonuses we get during treatment (and why I waited for the transplant option last after all the other procedures, rather than shooting right for it upon diagnosis)... Aaaand she turned us down, I should've asked BEFORE the surgery instead of after, my bad. Still, we're on life-support so it's easy enough to kill this run instead of shambling on for another 30-40 years trying to recoup the score; Just gonna reach over to pull the plug on the life-support and... there we go, flatline achieved. And that's why I filled out the DNR before surgery.

But first, we need to talk about parallel universes...

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

hatty posted:

Yeah, I got one for the Mana collection because the pixel scaling was wacky and it drove me nuts.

How was the pixel scaling wonky? It has an integer scaling mode and a full vertical mode. Unless you're a weirdo crusader for stretching retro games to 16:9, of course, but I don't think that's the case.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I already got those, it's the other part I can't get because it's either expensive to buy from the shop, or from the end of a quest has the three gorilla things I can't even come close to killing.

You really should wait on side quests until you've progressed in the story for a bit unless you like a challenge: Xenoblade 2's combat (and thus its numbers and what you expect the level of an enemy to mean) is based around you have three characters (with the likelihood, but not requirement once you get more experienced, of a classic tank/healer/dps trinity).

To progress with the story, you have two quests: one is to get three Bion Connectors, which you can buy or obtain through salvaging (I suggest the latter). The other is to beat up a singular level 9 enemy a little ways away. Everything else is optional right now and should be avoided until you've got a full party again. If you're thinking any other quests you've picked up are mandatory, they're not. Just Artificial Blade Parts 1 and 2. You're not required to fight more than that one quest enemy with a solo Rex, and as you've seen attempting to do so is a bad idea.

Once you've done those, then you'll be on a pretty obvious trajectory towards proceeding with the story and getting Nia back, where you'll finally have a real three person party. Then you can sidequest to your heart's content.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Just turn the Switch upside down and day will become night.

They got rid of that evolution method.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Pratan posted:

Hopefully he gets better. He’s more annoying than irredeemable.

If "honorable hella gay paragon of chivalry who just wants to bring happiness to the world to the extent he's willing to take on Not!Satan in order to accomplish that goal" is something you find annoying then first of all we can't be friends, and second of all he's not going to grow on you because the entire point of Sylvando is that he earnestly and honestly can't bear to see people unhappy and wants to spread joy to the world and that's awesome.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Does Xenoblade 1 have the same automated sometimes push a button for a combo, ten thousand synergistic stats thing that XCX had

I prefer to feel like I'm controlling combat not just watching it

Yes. At their core, the Xenoblade games' combat is MMO hotbar cooldowns. Xenoblade 1 has fewer stats, a simpler skill system, less moves and less complicated moves to juggle, as well as more distinct characters (since there's just seven with different gameplay and roles instead of a dozen classes), but the core remains the same.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't been to Death Mountain yet! I need to get some more heat resistant clothing first, but I don't remember where any of it it and I'm too stubborn to look at a guide because bumbling around this game on your own agenda is too much fun.

I climbed Death Mountain by burning through my food stash and Metal Gearing my way from hot spring to hot spring.

BOTW is great.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Optimist Prime posted:

(Follow-up question: what's the best way to kill those loving vampire cricket things? I survived a roomful of them largely by accident, but I think I curled into a ball and bombed them?)

The ones that grab on to you? Missiles and super missiles will kill them, though it might not seem like it because of oddities in where those spawn when you fire them in different directions and the hitboxes involved. Standing and firing a Super Missile to the side or jumping and firing either down should do it. Or bombs, like you found out, and a few upcoming weapons make life easier as well.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
The secret to Monster Hunter Rise is going in, picking up a bow, and shooting whatever the quest tells you to in the head until you win, and if you press buttons that cause you to do more damage or take less damage, do them again when needed.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Len posted:

Early retirement here I come

p sure livetweeting graverobbing is a dumb move

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Hey, can someone who has it post a trip report on R-Type Final 2?

Pretty fun thus far (though I got it on Steam). The difficulty seems well balanced, and I just kept going "oh what does this new ship weapon do" and that's the story of how I accidentally burned two extra hours of my night.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

enojy posted:

There was only one fail and two lols about the Dreamcast. Of the three, one "lol" goes to Sonic Team for signing off on the Sonic Adventure voiceover. The remaining fail and lol go to the console's copy protection.

You probably don't remember the late 90s too well then. Sonic Adventure's voice work is definitely mockable but it's also easily one of the better dub works of the era (especially when you take out Metal Gear Solid which just shatters the grading curve).

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't know what the market for it is going to be

Final Fantasy 14 in bed.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I always enjoy any posts that ascribe Nintendo's (or any company, really) motives to some higher belief in their product as opposed to mundane corporate greed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

hatty posted:

No one ever mentions the Wii ports of Ace Attorney so I assume they must be crap

They were actually really good! It's how I first played the series, and because of how they structured the release of AA1's bonus case (coming out well after Trials and Tribulations) it's resulted in me having Opinions on Rise from the Ashes.

Mechanically, they worked fine. There were a only few points where the interface split into two vertical screens (mostly the main menu), and they didn't bother having any Wiimote pointing for the various segments; as a result, it looks and plays like it's an uprezzed version of a GBA game, which the ports basically were. However, it's worth noting that they're precisely that: ports. The newer releases do things like "mark off what things you've examined" and "light up the cursor if you're pointing at something that matters", which really makes a difference in a game like AA.