Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

"Huawei" kinda sounds like "Ouya"

Huawei makes good smartphones, but :lol: if you buy a smartphone just to play video games, and one 3x the price of a real console, too.

The new Huawei can also load other smartphones' batteries just by being near them, so theoretically you will never have to connect a cable to your phones ever again. Well, except for you 1k$ main one, that is. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Its important to remember Diablo and its ilk are very elaborate slot machines. Whats fun for both of them, loot games and slots, is the pulling of the arm not the actual winning. People who play it therefore optimize around getting back to pulling the arm as quickly as possible, everything else is just a blip in the way of their dopamine rush.

Man poo poo, I had to go back to this because it is really the best explanation for that kind of behavior I've seen so far. Far better than my own idea of "People are crazy, I guess." :v:

In my case, I play games like Diablo III not to collect loot, I derive fun out of Action RPGs mostly through murder. The more, the better. Getting loot and making my numbers larger are just bonus additions to the fun stuff. It's all about slaughtering monsters in ever more elaborate ways for me.

Edit:

To clarify, where Barudak's guys pull the arm and optimize for arm pulling, I'm all for moving my (actual one, not the slot machine) arm up and down. When I finally lay my hand on the arm of the slot machine, my fun is over theirs begins.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 7, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are there any news about Sega Ages Phantasy Star? I've seen websites claiming it comes out in the US and Europe in November 2018, but also one claiming it comes out in the US/Japan on 31st October and in the EU "to be announced"

Does this mean the EU won't get this game?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Healbot posted:

The latest info we got is on the 15th.

There is nothing on the EU shop though, wouldn't it be weird to not put the game at least into the "soon out"-category of the shop? I'm skeptical if the 15th is true, looks more like US-only from my end. :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

The Coming Soon section doesn't even include half the games which will be coming out in a given week.

Oh. Wow. Well, I'm relieved now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

Chill Penguin might be a Reploid for some reason.

True, true.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Bought the Sega Ages collection to play more Phantasy Star, saw they had Columns. Woke up from a fugue state at 1am, noticed I had played Columns for hours.

Switch is good. Now back to finishing Phantasy Star. The heroine and her friends are still stuck on Fantasy Hoth. Goddamnit, so many caves in this empty, frozen wasteland :argh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

I clipped a carabiner to my switch case, I then clip it to a belt loop. It becomes really easy to just take with you anywhere if you don't want to leave it in the car. I don't think they sell the one I have anymore but most cases should have something even if it's just a punched hole in a zipper.

I think if I tried this, I would get my Switch stolen by a pocket thief the very moment I step outside my apartment.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Resetting the router did the trick....strange, every other device worked like a charm

Thanks! Had the same problem, turning my router off and on again solved the issue for now. (I know it will be back. Nintendo hates Belkin routers.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

list the snes rpgs you like more than chrono trigger

Secret of Mana
Lufia II

I think that's it. There may have been 1-2 more games I liked more than Chrono Trigger, but they weren't RPGs so they don't count.

(To be honest though, Chrono Trigger never came out in PAL-territories back then, so I never experienced it on the SNES. I played the heck out of the DS-version though, and re-bought it for my Android smartphone so I can sometimes play it on the go. It's not a bad game, but the nostalgia-factor for me is about zero. I rate it about 3 Chrono Crosses out of 4. Same problem with FFVI. Back when it was called FFIII, I could just longingly envy you English-speaking motherfuckers, so zero nostalgia here. Played the heck out of it on like three different systems later, too.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

Lufia 2
Seiken Densetsu 3
Terranigma
SMRPG (Would not be true if Chrono Trigger had TIMED HITS MOTHER FUCKER)

Oh yeah, Terranigma! That would have been No. 3 on my list.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I know, that's why I said the gameplay was coupled to the framerate.

And I'm fully aware it's not as easy as typing in "FPS=60;" and recompiling the game. Of course it would take a lot of extra work to get it uncoupled, but when your game is tied to the framerate and that framerate is locked as low as 15 fps then I feel like if you're gonna do a remaster/re-release, that's the first thing you should work on. It was one thing playing games with those kinds of framerates on a tiny lovely CRT across the living room, but playing with it on a crisp new display up in your face it's just a ticket to headache-ville.

At least this is not the case for FFIX on the Switch. Playing through the intro and so far everything looks and runs smoothly. It's definitely above 15 FPS, because framerates below 20 tend to make my eyes hurt and give me headaches over time. So also definitely at least above 20.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

You say playing through the intro, did you get into any battles or reach the world map? Because those are the places that run at like 15-20 fps and from what I've heard else (and in this thread) the Switch version is just the same as the PC version?

I fought my way through the Cursed Forest past the first mini-boss. The battles so far have been rather smooth. I'll report more after I finally reach the world map!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Any news on that new mainline Pokemón-game for the Switch that was announced recently? I want to say I remember Nintendo saying it'll come out in Summer, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BisterdDave posted:

Pokemon games usually come out in November, so I would expect the same for this years entries.

Ziddar posted:

The only release info given was "late 2019." Will probably end up being a November release.

less laughter posted:

27th November

Well, poo poo. At least it was already on the Switch-shop, so I could add them to my wishlist. Hopefully, I'll can use the intervening time to make a dent in my colossal gaming backlog. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I was thinking about FFXII again and what I didn't like about it and I finally remembered what made the job system such a bummer for me. Almost none of the licenses are exclusive! There is no job flavour at all when all the jobs share the same abilities. Take the iconic White Mage spells Cura and Raise for example - you'd think you would need a White Mage to use those but nope, they're also shared with Red Battlemage, Monk, Time Battlemage and Archer. Almost every skill is like this, which means that the only really unique thing you get for picking a job is which weapon that character is autoattacking with. :sigh: That's in addition to the fact that they're licenses, so you don't even learn the spells or abilities. You're just allowed to use them once you get to the town where you can buy them from a vendor.

Incredibly, this is word for word what I like about FFXII. Different strokes, eh? :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Ah, all of them

If you take Rena's path in SO2, not even that. Eventually the planet gets blown up under your feet and you travel via teleport to the second one. You'll see a space ship in some cut scenes, though: It gets blown up without the party ever setting foot on it. (Except for Claude, but since one man alone isn't a party, he doesn't count.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

...which only really seems to start happening once you're in the post-game from what I've heard :v:

it's worth mentioning that you aren't just setting up auto battle AIs with fairly limited parameters and walking around though. You're setting up auto battle AIs with fairly limited parameters and walking around at 4x speed :eng101:

Mind you, there's a region in FFXII were super-strong elementals occasionally drop by. I already had trouble evading them on PS2, with the added 4x speed option my accidental suicide-rate went up by 300%, too. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

For a couple weeks before the quality of new levels jumps off a cliff like it did with the first one.

I love it but it has the same issues as all games built around user generated content. The content is only as good as the users generating it, and the good ones move on pretty quick.

drat, you're pretty harsh on yourself

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dantheman650 posted:

Likewise. I can’t believe I had nostalgia for this game. I was able to beat it as a kid but it’s just janky and frustrating now. The combat feels so incredibly bad and the inventory and item management is awful.

So I started Secret and the menus there seem somehow even worse! The combat seems barely improved. I’m still in the starting area but I’m beginning to regret this purchase.

I know I know, different opinions and all that, but I still regularly play both games and I'm just baffled by your experiences. Both are so simple and easy games, I just switch them on and have tons of fun. It genuinely makes me feel sad that your experiences are so different.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dantheman650 posted:

Ehh, I’ll still probably beat FFA. I died to the Medusa boss a million times because I’m impatient and it’s just annoying to have to stop moving, face the right direction, and hit its tiny little hit box while avoiding snakes that glitch out and don’t even appear on the screen sometimes while still hitting you.

Secret of Mana, I’m only a few minutes in and will definitely give it some more time.

The trick with bosses in FFA/Mystic Quest is to stay away from them as far as possible and to try and get them with maxed out special attacks. Also remember to occasionally boost your magic so you can heal often. The life spell saved my rear end more often than any sword strike.

Fake edit:

Aw poo poo, I just got to my favorite part in Secret of Mana, and the new German translation replaced the old Lindenstraße-joke with a generic soccer game joke. Welp, at least it's still funny, and I guess less and less young people today remember that old German soap. :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I downloaded Collection of Mana and forced myself to play through Final Fantasy Adventure since I’ve never beaten it. Hot take: it really has not aged well. The hit detection is extremely janky, the music is mostly awful and the dungeons are horribly designed. A few hours into the game they are each a massive sprawling series of rooms with one correct path and several decoy paths that either lead to dead ends or loop you back to earlier in the dungeon. The worst thing is the locked door/key stuff. You can either buy keys or get certain enemies to drop them (which is rare) but if you’re in a dungeon and hit a locked door but don’t have a key you either have to find an enemy that drops them or backtrack all the way to the closest town to buy some more. Do yourself a favor and skip it unless you really want to see the origins of the systems that get greatly improved in later titles (charging powerful attacks, different weapons having practical applications outside battle, choosing stats upon level up, etc.).

You're forgetting the dungeons were the game puts neat stuff into dead ends, or where the real path is a dead end until you go down one of the fake paths and get the weapon/magic spell which allows you the main puzzle on the main path. This way you're often forced to go down the decoy paths anyway. Kind of a neat design philosophy! But yeah, the poo poo with the keys is horrible, even as a kid I always carried tons of them everywhere, out of fear of getting stuck. :v:

And because of your comment about FFA's music, I will now have to track you down and kill you with this rusty axe

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Started Trials of Mana and I'm getting these little flashes of memory as if I've seen some of this artwork before.
Not reused assets but like the character portraits maybe from a magazine.

I had never heard of this before, only that there was a SD game that never made it out of Japan.

Anyway, I love it so far. Only 90 minutes in and the QoL improvements are blowing me away. I'm so happy that they got rid of the enemy i-frames after getting hit. If you didn't want to make a turn based game, don't stop damage on a timer you shits!

I'm playing as the Magician with the fighter and Amazon. Weird how they don't let you go back on your selection after choosing a portrait. I don't know who these people are.

Any tips or do I not have to worry about team comp that much?

Enemies in SoM don't have i-frames, the game may show you fancy animations, but both your party and the enemies can be stunlocked forever if one side is particularly unlucky. It's of course hard to tell, since you have to wait until your little strength counter is back to 100% or all your hits will do jack poo poo.

But if you're looking closely, sometimes you can rack up insane damage by just timing all your 100% attacks. The game simply never tells you outright that it's continuing to count your hits, even if the enemy is in the middle of a hit animation. It does happen though, believe me! I had both enemies and characters taken down from full health to zero in a moment thanks to a bunch of hits landing straight during what looks like i-frames happening.

What SoM2 did was abandoning the weird counter thing: Every hit is now a full hit, no weird waiting around anymore. Which is a good QoL-improvement, to be fair.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 18, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tiger Millionaire posted:

How actually playable is Bloodstained, i can live with the occasional FPS drop and lower rez textures for a bit if it's getting patches. But if the performance issues are unplayably bad i might hold off a couple weeks.

Basically its hard to find out what's a real problem and what's Angry Nerd Hyperbole right now!!

It's mostly ANH. I've been playing for a couple hours and didn't notice any problems. Didn't crash so far, either. If there are issues, they're all apparently far later into the game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kris xK posted:

Rumors are plentiful about an updated Switch model (maybe 2!) coming out, but no actual confirmations as of yet.

My personal bet is still that there is no updated Switch model and all rumors are wrong. Hilariously, completely :wrong:

parasyte posted:

Wayforward just announced a River City Ransom spinoff, River City Girls, where you apparently rescue Kunio and Riki from the cops (?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40MRASC-Ndw

Out in September for Switch (and other, lesser platforms)

Holy poo poo I need this

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Takahashi Moizuchi isn't some rumor monger posting on reddit, he's a real, credible reporter for the WSJ with connections to the Japanese game industry and sources in the manufacturing industries in China.

This just means I will make mad bank if I win.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dantheman650 posted:

Gave Secret of Mana another try and I think I'm going to give it up. The systems are just so janky and unfun. Is Trials worth playing is both FFA and SoM just seem like ancient relics of a time before people knew how to make games fun?

I'm up to the last couple dungeons now and it's still fun, but oh boy did I forget how tedious upgrading your magic becomes in the late-game.

Especially the girl is hosed, since she can't use Mana Drain to cheat her MP back up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

There's never been a good Final Fantasy and fans of the series seem to agree

I'm not a fan of the series and I think FFIX, FFXII and FFXIV are awesome, checks out.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Let's end this poo poo. I've made over 2500 posts in the last two Final Fantasy Megathreads, I've done ten loving Let's Plays with Final Fantasy games, I'm King loving poo poo of Final Fantasy as far as SA goes.

They're all good loving games, and they're all different enough that everyone has their own favorites and that's god drat fine. There's a reason this series has been going on for so long despite Square-Enix's complete incompetence at developing AAA-level games these past fifteen or so years. Cherish all of them, yes, even FF2.

I don't know, FF3 was so boring trying to play it put me in a coma, that doesn't sound like what a good game would do.

And FF8 is so bad it's good, like a nice B-Movie. FF11 seems to be some sort of torture simulator for masochists instead of a game, but even with all my disgust over FF10 and FF13 I can tolerate other people liking them, the world is full of weirdos, after all.

But yeah, all other FF-games are just different shades of good, even the ones I don't want to play ever again, like FF7. Now let me turn away from the monitor for a moment so I can get me a fresh, cold DRINK.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 19, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

frodnonnag posted:

They changed things and added systems over the years that you can complete the vast majority of story content without it feeling like you have to apply a hammer to your balls to get anything done.

Ironically, I like the catgirls of FF11 better then the too-human ones in FF14, but I'm already playing too many games, including two MMOs. I'm pretty sure if I started FF11, even if it is less stupidly insane then back then, I'd have to stop sleeping or eating, or both. And then I wouldn't be able to play any games soon, on account of being loving dead, man.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If Starlink was overlooked, why did they make so many different toy space ships? Or did Nintendo just threw them all out at the same time and I just never noticed?

I remember liking the blue and red ones. Just not enough to buy them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hocus Pocus posted:

Why haven't we seen another Tactics Ogre game? I'm super into Three Houses but its got me thinking a lot about Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (which shares the branching narrative, and ability to rewind turns). Bring Tactics Ogre to the Switch. And you know what, I've seen and heard a heap of Persona comparisons, but I feel like Trail of Cold Steel's academy is a better comparison to the monastery and calendar. Bring Legend of Heroes to the Switch.

Bring all games to the Switch.

Wasn't Ogre Battle 64 the last game of that series? I'd like to see it coming to the Switch, as our household back then switched to the PSX and we kind of barreled past the entire history of Nintendo after SNES, only occasionally picking up the handheld-consoles. I always wanted to try Ogre 64, but somehow never got the time for it, even with modern emulators available and poo poo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

There is other games in that series called Tactics Ogre, iirc the latest one is Let Us Cling Together on the PSP. Though OB64 was the last version of that type of Ogre Battle gameplay, Tactics Ogre plays more like Final Fantasy Tactics.

I do wish there would be something else like OB64. Sure you couldn't directly command your troops in battle, after a few attacks the battle would end, but dammit if didn't enjoy it. Felt a bit more like you're commanding an army, you'd need extra units to chase down runners and keep track of the AI trying something sneaky. Instead of just doing a beatdown with your main character being a ninja or some other OP class.

I think I may have "Let Us Cling Together" lying around somewhere in my shelves. Huh, somehow never made the mental connection to OB64.

Anyway, I remember our local Nintendo-magazine at the time had this huge article explaining how advancement of units work in OB64, with detailed graphs and everything and I was insanely jealous for not having a N64. Since then I couldn't stop thinking about that game.

Now that I think about it, when I tried out OB64 on an emulator years ago, it felt a lot like playing Soul Nomad, a favorite of mine. Hell, now I wish I had more time to play games

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

Anybody here pick up the Collection of Mana? I've played Secret of Mana to death, but I never played the GB title, and never beat Trials of Mana.

I did, and I got sidetracked just before entering the Mana Fortress. The game is still good! Leveling up magic is as tedious as ever, though. The GB title is simple, fun and good god make sure you always have keys with you. Also make sure to have a save outside whatever dungeon you want to walk in, just in case.

Secret of Mana 2 is a game I really like, but I had no time to really play it with the new translation. (I played on an emulator a lot before, but never got higher than like lvl. 24 or something.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

I did that years and years ago with one of the Phoenix Wright games, where I bought it not understanding exactly what it was. I spent an embarrassing amount of time "skipping the intro waiting for the game to start" before starting over.

My first and last visual novel ended like that, just with "stops playing the game in sheer frustration" instead of "starting over" :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

missing everything that made nier automata transcendent

if Astral Chain is the polar opposite of Nier Automata then it'll be my GOTY. Give me incredible gameplay and actually interesting poo poo to do over the most melodramatic Asimov-lite lolita bullshit, a dead world full of fetch quests and simplistic combat that can gate you out of encounters because loving leveling is a thing

Wow what? Astral Chain is the polar opposite of Nier Automata?! Well thanks buddy, you just saved me 60 bucks or whatever Dork Chain would have cost me. Thanks!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today I got up two hours early so I could get to work super-early -because our company lets us go earlier as long as our 8 hours are done.

But then I noticed the SNES-App had unlocked on my Switch and welp, I barely made it in time to work. No early weekend for me.

Ugh, I'm already counting down the minutes to lunch time... I need my Zelda-fix

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Araxxor posted:

Thanks to SNESflix, I was able to play Lttp, which is like one of the few Zelda titles I've never touched. It's pretty fun! I got lost on my way to the first palace and somehow didn't pick up on the fact that you were supposed to arrow down the Armos Knights. Ended up swording them all to death instead. I am good at video games. :downs:

Eh, as long as you won't get stuck in the third dungeon for hours like I did back as a kid because you just couldn't wrap your head around the very easy solution to getting the main treasure chest, you're still good.

And while replaying LttP on my Switch over the weekend, the third boss still took like three times longer then boss 1 and 2 combined. That loving worm! :argh:

SeANMcBAY posted:

I always sword them anyways since it’s more fun. I like the boss design in LTTP since it’s not always related to the item you pick up in their dungeon. Like only a handful of the bosses are like that and there’s even one later where you need two items that aren’t in its dungeon to defeat.

I don't know, maybe it's because of my muscle memory, but I always mow the first boss down in like seconds. I just like to fire out arrows

Also I think at this point shooting arrows at those knight guys is so deeply ingrained into my brain, trying to use something besides my bow would probably cause a seizure or something :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Wow thanks.

I've looked at the map and tried my options. Just thought someone might have some insight.

There's some guy near lake Hylia (southwest) sitting in a cave waiting to give you 300 rubies, just in case you haven't the 500 rubies for the flippers yet. Bring some bombs, he is shy and barricaded himself in.

The flippers you get by visiting the place with the most waterfalls.

Also general insight: LttP is one of those games were you'll be rewarded by simply exploring the map and trying out poo poo. Do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

SMB is perfectly fine. Yes 3 is the best and much better, but 1 is still better than a lot of platformers. The worst Mario is Super Mario Land. And even that one is fine.

SML however is the best drat Mario-shmup ever!

Because it's the only one :v: