Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Nothing ensures us that Harris will lose more than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

fool_of_sound posted:

yea i basically cheered when i saw that

Tonight on Maddow, Kamala Harris addressed Jacob Wohl's birtherism claims during her launch interview.

She has no chance.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

This is a great video. For those that don't know, or are too young to remember, Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow has been Bill Clinton's theme song since the 1992 primary.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole 'racist, sexist Berniebros' thing seems like massive projection, not just because of all the wealthy white male pundits finding new ways to dismiss women and Bernie supporters of colour, but, well, donut twitter.

It's Hillary die-hards whining. Which still exist, to a staggering degree! Some of them came to MDP events around Michigan in 2018, absolutely furious.

Hillary having a small segment of boomer women that support her entirely by blaming others with no self-introspection is pretty funny, all things considered.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 27, 2019

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

One of the Jons is gay, so if you dislike them, you're a bigot. According to center Dems.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theblackw0lf posted:

You’re missing the context. For one they’re talking only about plans that have an opt in or opt out public plan available to everyone. Two is that this was related to the very real fact that eliminating private insurance causes M4A to be more unpopular so they were discussing whether we should be open to a public plan that would still keep private insurance, as long as health care would be accessible and affordable to all: So focus on the goal, and then debate which ones get you there. Again though these only relate to those proposals that are public plans available to everyone.

Plus they also spent a lot of time saying that if we are going to eliminate private insurance we need to start preparing the public now.

Look there’s a decent chance that any 2020 president won’t be able to get 50 dem senators to support eliminating private insurance. In that case, it’s very reasonable to ask what would be a future presidents plan be then.

The joke is that a segment of PSA fans latch onto something that has nothing to do with the legitimate criticism to dismiss any criticism out of hand.

However, the American public is already being prepared to fight for Medicare For All, and its more popular than most think.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/1108805658294386688

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I'm actively rooting against Buttigieg. What a shithead, I'm excited to see him fail.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Buttigieg is basically someone who has made every choice in life towards being the 1996 Democratic Party's candidate for president, regardless of consequences.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Wicked Them Beats posted:

On the issue of Buttigieg being good or the devil made flesh, everything about him feels focus grouped to hell and back. If it sounds like he's saying things you like I can guarantee you it's because he saw a poll somewhere that suggested it was the right thing to say. His entire life and career has been about building a resume and you just can't trust that sort of ladder climber to do the right thing except where the right thing happens to coincide with their personal interest.

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm halfway through that long-rear end Current Affairs article and am starting to wonder if he's even really gay. I feel lovely to even think it, but I wouldn't count out the possibility that he crunched the numbers at some point in his life and determined it would give him an n-percent advantage in his political career to be gay over being just another straight white dude.

It feels that way, but as a straight white guy, there would be hell for saying it. I had some Hillary people use the gay thing to refuse to accept any criticism in 2016, for example, so it's not completely implausible.

It feels like Pete chose to put certain things in his biography to immunize him from attacks by just saying he's getting attacked because _____. Like a token six months in the military, so he can forever claim he's a veteran.

Just incredibly, incredibly robotic slimy.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

YaketySass posted:

Butt is a clown but what the gently caress, don't do this.

It is a reasonable take, especially since his campaign is trying to change the subject with a fake "is he gay enough?" controversy

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

There's a certain type of person in the Dem Party/Pundit Class that's desperate for a clean cut white guy to be the nominee and Buttigieg is their man now that O'Rourke started coming off as too much of an empty suit for even the empty suits to handle.

Now that the Buttman is getting some heat perhaps Tim Ryan will finally have his chance at the spotlight.

Buttigieg flaming out means it's time for another Midwestern Serious Thinker, Amy Klobuchar. Treating employees poorly is a selling point to boomers!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

I know people are enamored with the idea and bring up these weird unity tickets every cycle, but do candidates even routinely pick from the runners-up? Thinking back I guess Obama picked a primary loser to be his VP, and before that... Reagan picked HW Bush?

It happens often to build upon a potentially well-known name, and to balance the ticket out with someone that checks a different set of boxes, whether it's beliefs or part of the country.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/FirstDogBailey/status/1114264432945913859

Warren for President

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Condiv posted:

this was obnoxious when o'rourke was doing it and it's obnoxious when warren is doing it

Beto's dog wasn't excellent, Warren's is.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

the_steve posted:

Welp, I'm convinced.
Voting for Bailey in 2020.

there's no rule that says a dog can't be president

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Your Parents posted:

dude hes gay. hes GAY!!! how many clap emojis do you need to see???

Winemoms who are die-hard Hillary supporters are posting paragraphs of support for Buttigieg right now, just because he's gay.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

joepinetree posted:

It is completely obvious that every decision that Buttgieg make has a political calculus in mind. Just look at how he talks about his military service. He was deployed from April to September 2014 in Kabul as a counterterrorism intelligence officer in the Afghanistan Threat Finance Cell. He rode a desk, essentially. And yet everything he says is about carrying an assault rifle, risking his life, etc. In his "reflections" in his time there he talks about learning to differentiate between construction sounds and suicide bombers, despite there being no record that I can find of a suicide bomber in Kabul between April and September of that year. Everything the Republicans dishonestly tried to say about Max Cleland and John Kerry seems to actually be true for Pete.

Someone at an event this weekend brought up this same thing, in regards to Pete claiming he is gay and claiming he's Christian.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That's not the poster, he's talking about a person at an event who had a problem with someone claiming to be both gay and Christian

It wasn't that exactly, it was more choosing things to use as identity cudgels like the military. He could really be none of these things, and is only attaching himself to them for votes and support.

There were a handful of die-hard Hillary supporters that I saw on social media last night posting about supporting Pete entirely because he's a gay man running for president. Just like how their primary reason for supporting Hillary was just to have a woman as president.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidWright_CNN/status/1117816066078642176

Wonder why he's getting so much media attention?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

King of Solomon posted:

I'm watching it. The hosts are asking ridiculously bad faith questions, and Bernie is spicy tonight.

The ONE TIME I want to watch something on Fox News.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The sheer amount of gay communities on social media rallying around him, and being outwardly hostile towards any criticism of Buttigieg, has alarmed me. The LGBT community needs to be better than this, imo.

VitalSigns posted:

Then there's the kind that says "wow I've been oppressed and discriminated against my entire life for something beyond my control, and I've learned that it's unjust that I personally have been shut out from the privilege to which I was always told I was entitled as a (pick one or more) ☑affluent ☑cis ☑white ☑male, and systems of oppression must and shall be reconfigured to put me on top where I belong!"

The latter is the kind that sends stormtroopers out to smash up a homeless encampment because it's impinging on their property values/car-window commuting view. Unsurprisingly the more check-boxes that apply, the greater percentage of that demographic that are shitheads. Poor black lesbian transwomen, pretty good. Rich white gay men, pretty poo poo.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

From past experience, it's this kind of gay that has disproportionate influence within Democratic politics, and is almost always complaining when anything happens that isn't about them.

When I was trying to help get Michigan canvassed in 2016, some Hillary staffer was mad about that, because the campaign believed Michigan was already won. Instead of debating the poll numbers, he immediately went to complaining that any criticism of him was wrong, because he was gay.

When the Green New Deal came out with AOC, this same group was mad that something other than LGBT issues were pushed to the forefront.

Even last year, during the midterms, this group was just trying to be intentionally contrarian, by starting dumb arguments that only Hillary Clinton should be the Democratic nominee in 2020, and if you're against that, you're anti-gay.

That shouldn't be a thing in big-tent, vast coalition politics, but it's been an issue for a while. Hopefully, Pete Buttigieg making a fool of himself can get some heads back on straight.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Condiv posted:

hello pence

ah shut

I didn't see that phrasing. Sorry.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/abedelman/status/1120352544692342784

oh no

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Condiv posted:

of course anti-bussing champion gropey joe wants to hold his announcement rally in charlottesville

He's gonna bring fine people together, from both sides!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Nonsense posted:

Biden’s gonna ride onto the stage in a Dodge Challenger.

and on the way there, just nail some woman standing in the street

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/FirstDogBailey/status/1122551881337851905

good dog

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Condiv posted:

https://twitter.com/TheYoungTurks/status/1100190585330323457

i wonder why warren's dog doesn't tweet about this?

dogs aren't allowed into those kinds of fancy parties sometimes

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

people typing as dogs typing like that is annoying and bad, especially when overdone

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

bowser posted:

Oh hey, Warren isn't the only one with a gimmick account for her dog. Let's see what Beto's dog is tweeting...

https://twitter.com/First_Dog_USA/status/1123303505941364736?s=19

:stare:

Beto's dog is bad at twitter

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/lnaturale/status/1124853643063304193

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Uglycat posted:

Indiana and Michigan both went Bernie, unexpectedly. The way the polling was done began with 'centers of influence', and for Indiana, it regarded Indianapolis as the only 'center of influence.' Afterwards, it came out that 30-somethings from South Bend (a category that includes myself, Mayor Pete, and number of posters on this board, etc) favored bernie and were significantly influential in a way the polling didn't account for (since South Bend had been regarded as a 'dying city' the last tie 'round). South Bend also borders Michigan.

Just sayin'.

As someone who worked for Bernie in Michigan (canvassing in Pontiac and Detroit), it was also very much a situation where Hillary wanted to make it very clear that the state was won, so she had no ground game. The polls said she was going to win, so that's that. And she lost.

No lessons were learned.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Pete Buttigieg looks like the Grinch who stole Christmas.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

kidkissinger posted:

Honestly, Trump was completely correct with Alfred E. Nueman on this one

Better as Grinch.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Calibanibal posted:

I think its cool how Buttigeg used his powers to punish and torment the poor. very old testament

Someone, most likely a striking union member, is going to punch Pete in the face, and the coverage of that is going to be horribly slanted.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Recap for me, I missed why it's good to drive people out of their homes and also punish people for being homeless

the mayor is gay and a troop, any criticism is therefore both anti-gay and anti-troop

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mince Pieface posted:

Bernie actually has the totally correct take here, although maybe by accident. Trans men and afab nonbinary people exist and abortion is relevant to them as it is to women, so yeah it's not a "women's issue"

Actually, no. This is not what Bernie means.

Some things are universal, and just because you aren't personally or directly affected, that doesn't mean you shouldn't support it. It's a universal, societal good for people to have control over their own bodies, even if a specific situation doesn't apply to you. Or, in another context, just because you don't make minimum wage doesn't mean you should oppose minimum wage increases, because the greater good is helped by having that.

The biggest way that boomers have been divided is constantly being told that they shouldn't stand together, and always being fed ignorant points about simply hating their neighbor for maybe getting better instead of coming together and both advancing. Bernie is fighting against that.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
good thing pete buttigieg is here to say that raising workers' wages is anti-gay

why are you against drone striking innocents? drone striking innocent bystanders is pro-gay!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I don't think you have the right to make that decision for minority groups... to ask them to defer their liberation while waiting for yours. Civil rights have to go hand in hand with social rights, or you end up with the "prosperity" of the 50's and 60's: reserved for white workers only.

We already have had that with the situation we're talking about. The civil rights of some have greatly advanced, while the civil and economic rights of others haven't. Can you guess which group advanced?

It's the one that includes the wealthy white people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Calibanibal posted:

why are they letting Hillary Rodham Clinton host a lgbt forum

Because before Pete Buttigieg, gays concern trolling about praising Hillary was something you could find at most Democrat events, along with gays praise trolling about Nancy Pelosi.