Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

VideoGames posted:

I have just been linked to the following post:

Is it true? Did your toxx fail?

Having finished the MSQ, yes. Yes he most definitely lost that bet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

i'm really curious about the place "across the sea" that they kept mentioning. that's where the tremors started i think? and they said they brought life forms from there back to Amaurot to experiment with or something.

Given that

Basic geography seems to be consistent across shards, I think that wherever the Doom of Amaurot started corresponds to the modern day New World.

Smells like a foundation for post-Ascian/post-Garlemald expansions

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

What I don't get about this "elemental imbalance in shard causes calamity in the Source" thing is... what does this mean about Bahamut? That was because of actual choices and actions undertaken by Garleans and Ascians, not something that happened in another dimension. Was that NOT an Umbral Calamity?

It was not, no.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ironslave posted:

It was, yes. The Ascians said it was, talk about it as if it was, made fancy holograms depicting it as such, and so on. It was a Calamity that destroyed one of the Shards. Only seven worlds remain, counting the Source, and one of those is the useless, hellish Void.

If you can find the specific cutscene I'll believe you, but to the best of my knowledge Bahamut destroying poo poo is a case of the people labelling it as such not knowing what a true Calamity really is in metaphysical terms.

It's not nearly as world shaking and there's no

Global catastrophic imbalance of aether. It doesn't really fit any of the criteria we know. Bahamut's rampage was entirely localized to a fairly small region

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ironslave posted:

We had Ascians, standing on a cliff, declaring "yep, the Ardor sure is going well" as Bahamut was raining down fire. You're given this cutscene before you even leave the first city. You have Minfillia explaining it to us when we first learned about the shards and the purpose of the Calamities. And when Emet-Selch is doing his demonstrative display in the Crystarium on the nature of their work, seven worlds rejoin to the Source. The seventh is a baleful Dalamud Red. The game's not been obtuse.

That's fair, but it is noticeably out of proportion with literally every Calamity so that is metaphysically weird.

A particular kind of aether is supposed to go wild on a global scale by both Urianger and Emet-Selch's explanations and it...really didn't here. Why are all six of the others world wide apocalypses that kill millions but not this one?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Bahumat was sealed away before he could do more damage, and even during the minutes he was free he utterly reshaped the landscape of many of Eorzeas areas ad well as utterly destroying the Sahagin breeding grounds to boot

In theory though that shouldn't matter. By the way Calamities are described, Bahamut should have just been a catalyst for the barrier to break between Eorzea and <insert overloaded shard here>. Once that happens, whether Bahamut is locked up or not the flow should continue from <insert overloaded shard here>. Much like how the War of the Magi didn't need to keep going for the Flood to keep happening.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ironslave posted:

It's overthinking something that's been told to us in very direct terms.

No I'm aware that "don't think about it too hard" is the answer, but that doesn't mean it doesn't contradict their own lore. They explained how Calamities work in no uncertain terms and it doesn't fit. Most likely because at the time ARR was written they still didn't have a firm grasp on the metaphysics behind it, that was written later.

MechaX posted:

Because Phoenix/Louisoux managed to stop Bahamut dead in its tracks before things got completely catastrophic. The dragon almost glassed an entire content in under 3 minutes and poo poo would have been way, way worse if he was left to his own devices. But what he did was enough to trigger a Calamity and gently caress over one of the shards, so the Ascians aren't complaining

Again, you misunderstand the explanation they themselves gave us.

Whether the triggering event is stopped or not does not matter. The source of the cataclysm is external and always has been.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Blast of Confetti posted:

halfway shb spoilers

did they every explain what emet meant when he was telling the wod about them not being able to remember the ascians at their peak?

Remember the conversation with Hythlodaeus in Amaurot? Remember how Emet briefly saw you as an Amaurotine before the final fight? Remember how the Ascian Convocation was Fourteen members in the time of Amaurot, but one member dissented and resigned over the Zodiark plan?

Hint loving hint.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Glagha posted:

With regards to the soul chat: everyone is definitely a divided soul. That's Emet-Selch's beef with people is that everyone is a defective, broken soul by his standards. A fragment of what was once a full person. The WoL might be special because they're a piece of the same soul as Ardbert, and that one person that Emet-Selch used to know.

I'm not sure about that

I suspect only people with the Echo are Amaurotines, but with the Umbral Calamities and whatnot killing Literally Millions it seems unlikely there were enough Amaurotines for EVERYONE to be one. They were one civilization on one continent.

If there are new souls Emet-Selch would still consider them fragments by virtue of being likewise "diminished".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Meiteron posted:

We're all forgetting the best part about this quest that requires you to finish the role quest line which is that you're literally cheering up First!Gerolt and not only does the WoL visibly go "awwwww gently caress not this poo poo again" on seeing him but the only real difference between this dude and Source!Gerolt is a head of long, luxurious hair

Not true.

First!Gerolt is an ARTISTE with a MUSE, unlike that lout on the Source :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

can someone remind me which quest this scene/line choice was in? my rot brain is rotten and i can't remember

Very shortly before Amaurot, when you're talking to Ryne and she's voicing her doubts to you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nessus posted:

Question about a post game dungeon. Yo what the gently caress is up with the Twinning, am I just bad at video games all of a sudden. This first boss was wild and by wild I mean "I kept wiping to the same mechanic despite my best efforts, and since I was the healer this lead to a chain failure as there was no rez." Is Akademia easier? It would be one thing if it felt like I was learning the fight, but it's not even tense, it's more like in the 10-20% zone of the boss I will get smeared by adds even if I avoid cracking a tube. :(

Serious question: Did you ever actually get your AF set?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

porfiria posted:

I feel like HW is still on top story wise.

I liked the first and third acts but the big middle of ShB really dragged for me, I think because of the lack of a strong or dynamic villain. Like Vauthry is initially presented as the head of a bunch of hedonists on an island waiting for the end of the world but then it turns out he's...sort of the lynchpin of the entire Ascian/Light scheme? But he doesn't really have a plan or a goal or anything he's just hoping all the other Lightwardens don't die. I liked Raj'it's design but you can only kick somebody's so many times before they stop being scary; with the dragons one always felt like they were about to roll over and blow up Ishgard. The Sin Eaters never really do anything other than explode.

I was also confused about Minfillia in the story--so she's basically been possessing little girls Ascian style and running them at Sin Eaters until they die for the last hundred years?

Vauthry doesn't need a plan. Vauthry's purpose, as far as the Ascians are concerned, is to just make sure the First stays as hosed as it is long enough for an appropriate disaster to be manufactured Source-side for a Calamity. The First is already primed for a Rejoining.

The Ascians don't want the First to completely fall to Light, but they also want it to stay unbalanced so it can be Rejoined. Vauthry is perfect for that because he maintains the status quo above all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hakarne posted:

So I started out and so far it seems perfectly... fine. It's pretty but honestly it just feels like generic MMO #129807 complete with killing flies and hornets and whatever the gently caress to start. I want to give it a fair shake though - is there a certain point I should get to (or things I should try) before deciding it's just not for me? So far I've logged in for like 20 minute bursts 3 or 4 times and it's inoffensive to play but I have like 0 desire to stay on for any length of time.

The thing about FF14 is that much of the 1-50 experience is designed with people who have literally no experience with the WoW hotbar MMO paradigm. So it is pretty baby steps. For a veteran this can be pretty dull. After that it can and does get pretty loving wild and it is very much the best storytelling experience in the genre without question.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ashrik posted:

So how to the tradeskill classes work? I pick their level 1 "So you want to be an XYZ" quest and stop being a Lancer and start being a lvl 1 XYZ? How do you play the game then?

You can change Jobs at any time as long as you’re not in a dungeon or raid. You can level everything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

It's this. You see parallels between the voidsent of the 13th and the sin eaters of the 1st. In both cases their aether is completely out of whack in the dark and light direction respectively. Both cases wind up with pretty similar results.

That being said, I question what would of happened had Minfillia and the 1st's warriors of light not sacrificed themselves to stop the flood of light. Wouldn't the flood of light completely overtaking the world be basically the same thing that happened with the void in the 13th to make it completely unsuitable for rejoining? If that's the case it seems like the Ascians hosed it up real bad and would of made another shard useless had Minfillia not halted the flood. The ascian plan was basically saved by their enemies.

That is correct yes.

They almost hosed up again. The worlds on the periphery of light and dark (1st and 13th) are very volatile comparatively, and the Rejoining plan is easy to botch with them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

I wonder if Source's history has become muddled by absorbing the shards. If we failed and the First was absorbed, would PotD and the other ruins in the area start taking on an inexplicable Ronkan aesthetic?

There is absolutely no evidence that it works this way and substantial evidence that it does not.

The latter being history did not change post-Bahamut. He just hosed up the landscape a whole bunch

You're way overthinking it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Azubah posted:

Dumb question, but do the elements of the primals in the source match the calamities? Or something close to them?

I’m not sure what you mean to be honest. There have been Calamities of almost every element type through Eorzea’s long history, so technically there’s a Primal that corresponds, but the elemental Primals don’t have anything to do with Calamities.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hakarne posted:

I'm still a long way off, but how is end-game gearing for a filthy casual? Are basic raids easy enough to do through LFG or w/e? Or will I be capped out at dungeons without a pre-made group?

And finally, is there a huge disparity between "casual" end-game gear and the stuff that hardcore raiders get, or is it more like a "5% difference and epeen/bragging rights" thing?

The 8 man story mode raid and the 24 man raid are perfectly puggable.

8 man savage considerably less so.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Truga posted:

lol "eden story is bad", there's been more stuff happening than the entirety of omega already

Not an empty quote. THis is the best raid story since Coil hands down.

Things actually HAPPEN, that are relevant and beg questions about relevant cosmology.

Rather than a dumbass tournament arc that just straight lifts things from prior Final Fantasies.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Your Computer posted:

IIRC it was explained during the Ivalice questline that literally everything is made up of aether, including intangible things like "thoughts" and "feelings"

it's.... honestly a bit of a mess

How is that any more of a mess than thoughts and feelings being made of meat and chemicals

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Matoya is not subtle about the fact that Y'shtola is super blind.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Clarste posted:

It was years ago, but I thought it was pretty obvious from the MSQ that she was blind but pretending not to be. I don't remember exactly what made me think that, but it did.

Probably the scene where Matoya all but says it flat out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Marin Karin posted:

yeah. i finished the main sb story today and my thoughts are: yotsuyu is cool and fordola sucks. a perfect representation that the far east is good and fun, while ala mhigo is boring and featured only out of a solemn obligation to wrap up its story.

Yotsuyu is a cartoon character and Fordola feels like an actual plausible human being.

Fordola's flashback to what happened to her father reminds me a lot of reading about the arbitrary ostracization of "collaborators" in post-Vichy France despite the fact that drat near everyone was a collaborator. The collective social/cultural humiliation and a need to punish people to get over it.

Doma was a redundant mistake and Ala Mhigo does the occupation/recovery/revolution storyline much better.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I would have preferred if Stormblood was all Ala Mhigo, personally, but I'm just weird like that.

Same. I think almost all of the glaring weaknesses of Stormblood's plot trace directly back to the introduction of Doma when there just wasn't room for it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I was going to write a whole new effortpost about how I'd pare down Emet-Selch in the story without breaking it or losing anything, but then I suddenly remembered I've utterly baffled friends by also not liking Gosetsu and Hien. And I'm now starting to suspect I'm somehow playing a different FFXIV to everyone else where everyone's written totally differently, because I can't understand why people like Gosetsu and nobody else can understand why I don't.

If I say the best non-Shadowbringers story is Alexander, does that sound like moon-speak to anyone?

Yes. You're literally a space alien.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The real reason to wall to wall tank is that after you get the hang of the basics of tanking you’ll swiftly become bored without multi pulling.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

... Why in the world?

Because they believe, they earnestly believe, flying is the greatest design mistake they ever made and this is their grudging compromise to flying existing at all.

Meanwhile FF14 just has you experience the zone normally for the story and then by the time you're done you can fly okay have fun.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

At this point we can probably point to spaghetti code being the reason why zones in 14 are fragmented. There's probably a reason deep in the codebase that will make everything break if they try to unify the instances.

Ehhhh I don't think they've ever expressed any interest in doing it the other way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

SE's been doing the same thing a little bit. Ever wonder what happened to Fordola?

You can find out in game if you level Summoner. You aren’t missing anything by not reading short stories.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Also short stories that they host for free on their website is way different from lovely pulp novels that you have to pay money for.

Also one doesn’t involve for example the entire premise of an expansion not being explained anywhere in game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

this is a totally legit takeaway. it didn't bother me, and i can't place my finger on why because i often do roll my eyes at this kind of cliche, but i get why it wouldn't fly for most.

either way i still found it more compelling than the annoying phys dps guy and the uninteresting tale of renda-rae

It’s probably the fact that the moral of the tank story is that “having empathy, humanity, and the ability to shed a tear for the plight of your fellow man is cool and good and way better than being 90s Batman”

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gorelab posted:

When I think 90s batman I think of the animated series and I was about to be like 'Wait 90s Batman was cool!'

Yeah I’m talking 90s comicbook Batman when he was at the height of his paranoid rear end in a top hat Batman self.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Clarste posted:

The people of the First are absolutely weaker: after the Scions arrive they immediately become the most powerful and important people in the world in a year or two. Why do you think we had to solve all their problems for them?

That doesn't follow though. Ran'jit is ripshit powerful and he's from the First. The Scions do not appear to be meaningfully stronger than anyone in the First, they're important because they have specialized knowledge and because the First is an absolutely shattered world.

The Warrior of Light him/herself is the only person noticeably overpowered compared to the people of the First and that's just as true back on Source.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I'd love to see time mage, chemist, spell fencer, geomancer and also nekomancer from Bravely :colbert:

Astrologian already cannibalized most of Time Mages aesthetic.

Spell Fencer is just Red Mage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

LunarEmerald posted:

It's self-sustainability in times of emergency. DRK in particular is awful at recovering its own HP. Which is funny when it needs it the most for Living Dead. :suicide:

None of the things you’re describing are remotely relevant in a raid environment.

“Paladin is super good at soloing old content!” is a complete non factor to actual game balance.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never seen anyone do it, why avoid it and why is the latter a problem?

Once you stop the pull as a tank you should stay stopped. loving off at 50% health to the next pack is pretty much the worst way to chain pull because you are probably wasting peoples big dps cooldowns that they popped because they thought this was it til the next pull. Then their big dps cooldown fizzles out while they chase your rear end.

If you’re gonna pull big do it all at once or not at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nessus posted:

Ah well you see that is true for my WOL, so it is true for all. Rofl. Lmao.

Question about the cosmic situation as of the end of the SHB MSQ.

So how many fuckin shards are left? There were 13 originally but I'm not clear on how many have been successfully rejoined, or whether the fuckup with the 13th counts. Did they squonch one in with Bahamut, or was that gonna be the First, and then that got hosed up -- then they were gonna do it with Thordan and we hosed THAT up -- then they were going to just try to get the WoDs to go ham, and we hosed THAT up... I begin to understand Emet-Selch and why he thought it would be a good idea to parley with us, even if he didn't expect to convince us, maybe at least he'd figure out how to avoid us

There have been seven calamities throughout history, plus they ruined the 13th (it became the Void). So, five shards plus Source remaining.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

oh no not that guy

but seriously adding the Regalia was a huge mistake, it hurts the game aesthetically

Oh no not the Regalia, how will our immersion survive. The rocket powered spinning turtle, a high tech flying claw, an obese moogle flying by stomach gasses, and a literal giant dandelion were all fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Squidtentacle posted:

So far, the best part about Heavensward is that I can finally check the "play normal battle music" option and hear one of my favorite songs in the game instead of ARR's kinda repetitive battle music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znTI2qEc1QA

I've gotta say, though, I kinda miss the ARR voices. I know that technically speaking they kinda sucked, but they had sooooo much more character. Merlwyb sounded hoarse and frazzled from years of screaming at pirates on a ship, Ilberd was dignified and trustworthy, Urianger sounded like as much of a dweeb as his dialogue made him out to be, and Raubahn sounded so loving mad all the time. Now so many of them are kinda just "time to act well WITH A HEAVY ACCENT" and it's...eh. I'm sure I'll get used to it, I just really got attached to the camp.

I haven't heard her yet but I'm sure Kan-E-Senna is only an improvement, though. I don't know what it was, but something about hearing her talk for extended periods was the most draining thing.

Edit: My boy Aymeric still has those dulcet tones, though, hell yeah.

You're out of your mind because the Heavensward and on VA studio is made up of Actual Professionals who talk like real human beings, unlike the ARR cast. When they have an accent, it's an actual accent.

Except for Kan-E-Senna. Kan-E-Senna sucking is a universal constant, but that's because Gridania is a blackhole of interesting characteristics and no interesting characters can escape its event horizon.