Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I'm not against smartphones, I'm against digging them out whenever I want to do anything like open the door.
Also if the Navi isn't Waze, I never want to use it.

There was a shot in Doug's video when he was using the touchscreen and there was a Waze icon on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

gently caress this guy

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/05/tesla-owner-jailed-for-leaving-driver-seat-empty-says-he-feels-safer-in-back-seat/?comments=1

When asked if he purchased a new Tesla after the previous one was impounded he said, "Yeah, I'm rich as [expletive]. I'm very rich."

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I typically avoid posting stuff like that here, and instead drop it in the shitposting areas like in yospos since obviously that guy’s doing for attention. so why should we give into it?

My bad! I can remove it if you think it's warranted.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My boss just let me drive his model 3 he picked up yesterday, that was an expensive thing I just did as now I need to sell my Jeep and buy a Telsa.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I hope you can wait to buy your Tesla since supply and demand isn't in your favor. Can you wait a year or 2?

Ya I know there's a wait list right now. He ordered his 3 long range at the end of April.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Just saw a Mach-E charging at a charge point near my office. They're a lot smaller looking than I thought they would be, especially in height.

I can't get past the stupid physical dial on the touchscreen.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

My 3 was one the first ~200 or so delivered in Florida. I’d get other Tesla’s flashing their lights, pulling up next to me and giving me thumbs up, trying to flag me down in traffic to talk, it was honestly kindof exhausting. MrsYenko didn’t understand why non-Jeep owners were Jeep-waving at each other.

Mercifully, there are so many of the things around now that it doesn’t seem to happen anymore.

I'm going from a Jeep to a Y (come on august hurry up) and after owning a Jeep for almost 10 years I'm about over the Jeep wave.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MrPablo posted:

I
[*]I would expect anyone spending north of $40,000 on an item to give it at least a cursory inspection.

Don't even join the Tesla FB groups, that was mistake.

Daily posts of

- I got a flat tire what do I do
- My windshield got cracked, what do I do
- What type of soap do I use to wash it

The general public are stupid.

Also, I ordered my Y on June 27th and have an expected delivery date of Aug 16th - Sept. 8th. There is little to no inventory here in Florida and if there is it's fully spec'd out models. I ordered a pretty standard long range Y, white, 20" wheels.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Welp, the Jeep has been sold and the MY should be here in a few weeks. Fully ready to be living the electric life style!

Anything I should get before the Y gets here? I'm not going with the $500 Tesla charger and will just install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and grab the adapter. Should I grab another Gen 2 mobile connector as well? One to keep in the car and one to keep at home?

Any recommendations on floor mats for the trunk area? I have 2 large dogs I'll be driving around and would like something that covers not only the trunk away but also the area when the rear seats are folded down to keep the dog hair on the actual seat backs and trunk floor to a minimum.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I have these in all my vehicles already!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Honestly, a second UMC is a waste of money. Just take the one you have whenever you go on really long trips, and forget about it. 99% of the time you'll be charging on either Tesla destination chargers or using your J1772 adapter to plug into the others.

That's kinda what my thought process was too.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Popero posted:

I would pay a lot to pretend I could actually afford a Cross Turismo for a few days.

Guy in orlando will let you rent a taycan turbo for $551/day lol

https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/united-states/kissimmee-fl/porsche/taycan/1046997?searchId=Yty2EVTb

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well Rivian just got some cool press, Bezos is taking one to the shuttle he's going up in today.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So just out of curiosity while I wait for my Y I hopped on autotrader to check out what's out there for used Y's.

Uhh, the used car market is even more insane than I thought.

2020 Y's with 5-15k miles with less options are selling for more than what I'm paying for a new Y. What in the world.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

Yeah the used market is crazy I looked into selling my leaf for more than I paid but I gotta keep it for 3 years or fork over the 5k I got from charge up NJ. Come onnnn delta variant!

I thought I'd be slick and maybe pick up a slightly used 2020/2021 for a little less than my new one since my build date keeps getting pushed out, but gently caress that noise. Time to put my patient hat on as my wife would say I guess and just wait. Apparently my car will already be worth 5k more than what I'm paying for it? lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

I just took delivery of a Model Y today! I’m feeling a combination of new-car excitement and new-car anxiety.

The car itself seems great. I went about 55 miles today and used maybe 15-20% of the battery, my home charging setup worked perfectly, everything major on the vehicle seems to function fine, the ride is quiet and smoother than I remember, and even my wife seems to like it.

I’m also 100% anxious about denting/scratching/crashing the thing. I think part of it is because it’s the first vehicle I’ve bought instead of leased in about a decade so I could potentially be upside-down on the loan, and part of it is because there’s no 360 camera and I used that constantly on my other vehicles.

Just one issue I’ve found so far: one of the coat hooks won’t stay latched. I’ve got a mobile service appointment for it next week.

So far things are good though!

Get out of the kiln!

Just out of curiosity when did you order?

edit: and how accurate was the EDD on the website to when you got a VIN?

mattfl fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 28, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

I ordered on 5/15 and finished all the profile stuff on 5/16. The EDD was completely inaccurate, and I assume mostly used as a “stop asking us when your car is coming” measure. I got the car on 7/27, and the date only became accurate on 7/26.

Because I am a :eng101: nerd, I made a chart of my estimated delivery as compared to the time since ordering:

Thanks for the info! I finished my profile on 6/29 and went in fully expecting a 2 month wait.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well, I have/had a MY LR on reserve that the EDD was sometime next month and then a MYP popped up in inventory up in Missouri and I might have hit the buy it now button and now I've got a MYP being delivered next week from Missouri down here to Florida. The wife just laughed at my lack of patience. So, yay me?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dear Watson posted:

Is this a DLC for your car?

That is exactly what it is lol

A $2000 DLC that software unlocks more speed!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

What is going on with that interior?

:v:: Hey boss, I finished designing the seat backs for the GT. By the way, the average height of an adult human is 4’3”, right? Oh, we’ll just tack something onto the top I guess.

Those seats are hideous.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This thing

is just ridiculous.

I love it.

Tesla has the car buying process that everyone should strive towards, we weren't in the dealership for more than 15 minutes from the time we walked in to the time I was driving it off the lot. Went straight from picking up to the tint place and have a ceramic coat scheduled for tomorrow. Everyone I took for a ride in it just laughs at the stupid acceleration lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

cruft posted:

Congratulations! Did it come with an EVSE?

It came with the standard Tesla charger. Installed a 14-50 NEMA plug in my garage

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

Congrats! I got the long range (also blue) and it has slightly-less-but-still-stupid acceleration for a crossover. How was the build quality?

I’m with you on the delivery experience. I spent ~4 hours at the dealership the last time I bought a car, and was in and out of the Tesla “store” in about 20 minutes. I still think they need to come up with a non-self-service method of handling the order/EDD watching/loan application/etc., if they want to expand from the “fairly technically literate” demographic to a wider market.

I have not noticed any build quality issues so far.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Congratulations! Welcome to "Team Blue". :hf:

Yes, I remember buying my first car from a Nissan dealer, it took about three hours, a lot of busy forms with tons of fine print to sign, and multiple different people we had to go back and forth with. Picking up my Model 3 Performance was so different, I show up, look over the car a bit, sign exactly two pieces of paper and then "It is yours, you can go whenever you are ready. Enjoy!". It took me longer to eat a snack then configure all my preferences/logins/phone key and accessories in the car than it did to handle all the dealership stuff. Also same reaction of everyone just laughing at the stupid acceleration.

Now granted, there are also a bunch of busy documents you go through with Tesla as well, the difference is you handle pretty much all of them online days before the delivery at your own pace and they don't all show up at once.

Ya but even then, all the docs are digital so it's just a few mouse clicks to sign them.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Godholio posted:

Like three months ago they were double-charging people the full purchase price. Bitcoin. Rejection due to condition = back of the line. The list goes on.

I totally get not wanting to deal with the standard dealership model, but Tesla certainly doesn't have the solution figured out. I am glad your experience was great...everyone I know with a Tesla has had a good experience but the hiccups are worth keeping an eye on.

Edit: Looks great in that color, too.

Ya I get what you're saying.

I had it ceramic coated yesterday and it looks even better.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

Ford says they're having a media day for the GT in loving October. And that's just a media day i.e. the cars aren't actually in the media's hands so not really the same as C&D or whoever having the car for a couple days and doing whatever they want with it. loving another bungled launch.

If this cars gonna trap 100-104ish for its whole life I might actually sell it and either get a MYP or maybe get my last ICE DD rather than my first EV DD.

MYP is the one Tesla that you can order now and expect it in like 2 weeks vs the 3+ months for everything else.

Do it I'm loving mine!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Here's the run on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujp3q_aryRA

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

You think Bring a Trailer would be good for listing a Mach-E GT right now? Cars and Bids? Ebaymotors? Craigslist casual encounters section?

I almost sold my custom Jeep on Cars and Bids, got pretty far into the process before I sold it locally. Note that if you list it with them you're not supposed to have it listed anywhere else. Since it's such a new hot thing I bet you could even get Doug to feature it, hell have him do a review with it as well! I imagine you can get a pretty good price over MSRP for it as well.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jesus, if they are doing a recall of all of them, that is not good.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Are there the EV equivalent of gas stations out there yet? Multiple different brands of charges and a nice WaWa type building to get food/snacks/outside seating/bathrooms. And if not, why? Seems like it'd be a good business opportunity.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

There are! https://goo.gl/maps/LzHTRvkoPSsgnQXz7

But also, why wouldn't you just charge at the next mall, or McDonald's, instead. The fact you don't need big tanks to hold gas allows for charging infrastructure in more pleasant places.

This is very cool.

And ya that's a good point about not needing the storage of a regular gas station so chargers can be put just about anywhere.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I missed the charging stations talk a page or two back but I just wanted to post up what we have here at the hospital I work at.

4 of these showed up suddenly when we got a new CEO who coincidently drives a Tesla Model 3. Supposedly Duke Energy is doing some sort of study and provided them to the hospital for free, but really I think the CEO basically said, get me a way to charge while I'm at work, and as most CEO's know, they get what they want.

They are not fast, I'm currently charging at a blistering 6 kW, but I can't complain really. It is completely free to charge and there are only a handful of us here at the hospital that have EVs and I've never not been able to get on one of them. So basically I'll start charging when I get in in the morning, go home for lunch and if I need to charge some more, plug her back in for the rest of the day.

These "should" show up in the GreenLots app, but half the time they don't and I think that's because since they are set in free mode, there is nothing stopping a random EV driver from pulling up and using these. They aren't behind any kind of gated entrance nor is there any security checking to make sure you work at the hospital to use it, especially during the weekends when there less people here.

Just wanted to post about another type of charging station out there. My home electric bill appreciates rarely having to charge at home, and usually never during the week.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

The fact you have to download an app in the first place and can't just scan the QR code to open a website where you enter your payment details seems needlessly complicated.

Ya, and sometimes the app is kinda flakey and won't actually start the charger.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jimong5 posted:

Test drove a model Y today, figured I'd share my thoughts:

Things I liked:
Very roomy inside, tons of storage
Everything being on the touchscreen wasn't as awful as I thought it would be
Autopilot was cool, ride was nice, very comfortable

Things I didn't:
Frunk was very hard to close
The turn signal stalk is awful
Can't turn down 1 pedal regen, I like to coast foot off the accelerator drat it

The 1 pedal regen is second nature after a day or two, you'll be coasting up to stop signs like you normally do in no time. Driving a regular car now feels so unrefined with having to use the actual brake pedal lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jimong5 posted:

Looked at the Mach E today, very solid and no stupid BS as far as I could tell. Wouldn't be a bad choice for anyone.

I'm ultimately gonna go with the Y for 3 reasons:
1.) I'm tall, and the top of the A pillar line where the windshield ends is up out of my main field of view and I really appreciate that. Driving lower slung cars just feels like I want to crane my neck down sometimes
2.) The Y's underfloor storage is MASSIVE and something that no other EV replicated. MY worry with the E is while the cargo space is definitely big the fastback is a little too fast for what I want and feels more like a slightly blown up version of my Volt, which in that case I may as well just keep the Volt
3.) blah blah supercharging blah

So just gonna hit this order car button to get in like for April which is a prefect amount of time for me and...

God drat it what did I do

Keep an eye out here -> https://tesla-info.com/

I was able to find an inventory car out of state and get it shipped to me within a week vs waiting 4-6 months for my initial order. You hafta be quick though, by the time I hit the buy it now button for my MYP I saw 3 people post on a tesla forum they were trying to buy the same one.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

cruft posted:

Ev wheels take a ton of torque to stay on such a heavy car. This is the reason I've heard for not having a spare: you can't get it on tight enough.

Uhhh, not sure where you heard that, but lol no.

For the 21" wheels on my Model Y P.

Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129lb-ft

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tesla tires also don't like the goo because of the foam that's inside of them.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Ditching those stupid Contisilents is the single biggest improvement you can make to a car.

I have Pirelli's on my MYP, I'm not 100% the foam is in those or not.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

This is not the same as Android Auto, which requires a connected phone to use any relevant features; the car itself is an Android device with a 4G SIM card, Bluetooth, and WiFi. I appreciate being able to install apps to my car but the Play Store is pretty bare bones (basically just various map and audio apps; I did install A Better Route Planner but I look forward to some day being able to post to the forums with the Awful app installed in my car)

This sounds like a great way to introduce compromised apps to your car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

PenisMonkey posted:

Won’t regular autopilot change lanes if you put the turn signal on?

No, you get a little pop up stating you need to manually change lanes.

I think Enhanced Auto Pilot did that but as far as I know you can't get that anymore.